• Published 12th May 2012
  • 2,803 Views, 71 Comments

FedEx 715 - BronyPilot



A calm evening for a routine cargo flight quickly takes a turn for the worse...

  • ...
6
 71
 2,803

A New World

Chapter 4: A New World

The 777 continued to slam its way through the storm. Winds outside moved the elevators and ailerons as they pleased causing the plane to climb, descend, and turn rapidly. The pilots would usually try to compensate, but because of a large updraft not too long before, they were unconscious. The controls were getting to the point where the stress would be too much and the plane would lose control. Even if it was still in the air, the altimeter was dropping. If the pilots were conscious at this point, they would see the altimeter begin to pass the 5000 feet point. The winds suddenly changed and the plane started to nosedive towards its doom.

As the aircraft was constantly rammed with turbulence and heavy wind, Roberts started to regain consciousness. His vision was blurred and he could hardly remember what just happened. He began to hear what sounded like aural warnings the 777’s computer would play if the plane was in danger. He began to make out several warnings being repeated over and over: Sink Rate! Too Low Terrain! Pull Up! As his vision cleared he found himself staring out the cockpit window and could make out what looked like fields of some sort through the rain-stained glass. He glanced over at his altimeter and suddenly panicked as he read the plane diving past 2000 feet. He grabbed his control column and pulled back with all his might. The plane began to lift out of the dive, but his Primary Flight Display told him his airspeed was rapidly dropping as he pulled back on the column. Reacting as fast as he could he disengaged the auto-throttle and threw the thrust levers into the max power position. The familiar takeoff grind of the powerful GE90 engines began to ring through the plane. As the ground neared, he prepared for the worst, fearing that his actions were too late. Just as things seemed grim, the plane’s nose lifted back into the sky and the altimeter started to reverse, claiming that the plane was now climbing. Roberts looked out the window to see the rolling hills the plane was about to slam into shrink as the plane climbed above them. He checked the navigation display quickly, only to see nothing but the compass rose. Roberts could have sworn he saw a few waypoint dots on it not too long ago. He adjusted the zoom on the display to a larger range, but still nothing. Worried, he set the altimeter to level the plane off at 3000 feet so they could still have a visual of the ground. Without their navigation, they would have to have a visual of the ground below them to know where they were going. As the autopilot took over once again, he shook his captain awake.

“J-John? What happened?”

“I think we lost consciousness some time ago.”

“Where are we?”
“I don't know. The Nav display wont dhow anything. I leveled us off at 3000 feet so we could have a visual of the ground in the meantime.”

“Good. Lets contact ATC shall we?”

“Sure thing. Topeka Center, FedEx 715.” A long silence with some static was all they heard in response.

“Topeka Center, FedEx 175 please respond.” Again, there was nothing but static and silence.

“What’s going on here?” The captain inquired. The first officer switched between different frequencies trying to contact anyone but to no avail.

“Well, if we can’t contact anyone, its best we find the nearest landing strip in the area and get out of the air,” said Beckham.

“Alright then. Start looking,” replied Roberts.

As they looked around they could see what looked like a small village just in front of them. They didn’t see any landing strip near it or any civilians.

“Everyone’s probably inside because of this storm,” said Roberts.

“Maybe, but it seems weird that theirs no vehicles or even roads for that matter over there. I don’t see a single street lamp or anything I would consider modern.”

“Amish?” Roberts inquired.

“I don’t think there’s any Amish in this part of Kansas Roberts.”

“How do you know we’re in Kansas?”

“That's the last place we were flying, but by looking at this place, I’m not even sure if that's even true. For now let’s just focus on finding a landing strip.”

“Yes sir,” the F/O jokingly replied as he and the captain continued to scan the area in front of them.

********************

Twilight continued to study her books to find an answer to the anomaly storm. She searched everywhere she could think of, but nothing seemed to explain what was going on outside. As she turned the page of the current book, she thought she heard thunder. However, instead of dissipating it seemed to continue on, getting louder and then softer. She first heard it to her left, and as it got the louder the noise moved to her right. Curious, she went to the window, peered out and saw something zoom past in the sky at a speed even Rainbow Dash wouldn’t be able to maintain for long. As she looked closely at it she regarded its tail and stared at the writing on it. It looks like it says Fed-Ex, just like Dash said when she described that… She stopped in her thoughts and looked more closely at the quickly disappearing flying thing. From what she could tell, it matched Dashes description nearly perfectly. Twilight ran to get her friends fearing that whatever this thing was, it was not friendly.

As Twilight galloped through the pouring rain toward Sugarcube Corner, Rainbow Dash spotted her.

“Hey Twilight! Where ya going?”

“To get Pinkie!”

“Why?”

“I’ll explain later! What you can do is find Fluttershy and Applejack while I find Pinkie and Rarity. We’ll meet you at Sweet Apple Acres.”

“Sure thing Twi!” With her last remark she raced off to Fluttershy’s cottage.

Twilight continued her journey through the storm and prayed that whatever she saw was interested in the idea of being friendly.

***********

FedEx 715 continued its wandering through the land unfamiliar to both pilots. As they continued their search for a landing strip, a large cliff loomed ahead of them.

“Hey Beckham? Guess you were wrong about this being Kansas.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because I’m staring at a giant cliff that certainly is not part of that area.”

Captain Beckham focused his gaze on the giant rock face.

“Well, I guess we aren’t in Kansas anymore then,” Beckham chuckled along with Roberts, who immediately understood his joke.

“Okay, lets turn this bird around, I don’t think were likely to find a landing strip on that cliff,” the captain said as he turned the knob on his heading indicator to turn the plane back to where it came from. Even if they had no other navigation to go off of, they were grateful that their compass and computer heading were still working correctly. The 777 slowly banked right as it turned around, shaking a bit as some more wind slammed against its hull. As it came out of the turn the pilots continued their search for a runway that they would never find.

*****************

Twilight galloped alongside Rarity and Pinkie towards Sweet Apple Acres. She had not fully explained the situation to her two friends, but felt it would be better if she explained when they found Rainbow, Fluttershy, and AJ. Shes found the other three just outside the acres, waiting patiently for her arrival. “Ok sugarcube, what’s this all about?” Applejack inquired. Twilight, after catching her breath from the non-stop gallop to the acres, responded.

“As you all have probably noticed, this storm is completely unnatural to other storms we have had in the past from Everfree. In detail, there have been lightning strikes around Ponyville with lightning being an unnatural color, clouds the pegasi cannot control, and most recently an unknown flying object first seen by Rainbow.”

The elements turned to RD, intrigued to know what she saw.

“Rainbow, tell them what you know,” said Twilight.

Taking a deep breath before speaking Rainbow Dash explained her sighting of this flying mystery. “Ok, I saw a flash of that weird lighting, and a large thing with wings moving quickly in the air appeared. It looked like it was made of something shiny, like metal of some sort. Umm… it was colored white with a purple tail pointing straight up on the rear with the words ‘Fed-Ex’ on it, and I’m pretty sure know one hear knows anything about what that means.” Everyone except Twilight kept staring blankly at RD. “And finally there was another flash of that lightning and it was gone. I did my best to figure out what it was but it moved too quickly and was not there for very long.”

Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie kept giving a blank stare to Rainbow Dash until twilight broke the silence. “I saw the same thing over the library even more recent than that and it was heading towards Canterlot, so maybe the Princess will take care of it; but for all we know it could turn around and come right back. I don’t know if it's a threat or not but I gathered you all just to be on the safe side. So, for now I guess we should wait until it nears us. Oh! When its near it has a sort of high pitched sound to it followed by a low grumble like thunder, but more continuous.”


All of her friends nodded and went to a more relaxed state, Pinkie Pie suddenly exclaiming, “What if this thing is friendly? And OOOOO we should plan a welcome party!!!!!!!” Just as she finished her statement Twilight flatly said, “Pinkie, we need to find it first and see if it IS or ISNT friendly before we start making plans like that ok?” “Okie dokie lokie!” Pinkie responded. As the 6 friends sat in silence with the howling wind and rolling thunder in the distance, the storm seemed to calm a little and a large fog started to spread across the land, limiting their vision to just their little circle of meeting. The situation suddenly became much more eerie as Rainbow said, “I think I hear something.” Each friend closely listened in for what Rainbow Dash was hearing and all picked up on the sound described by Twilight. However, with the dense fog, it was hard to distinguish where it was coming from. Twilight made a crucial decision at that moment: “Rainbow, fly up and see if you can’t see better through this fog from higher off the ground. Also, if possible, try and find where this thing is coming from but BE CAREFUL.”

“Sure thing Twi.” RD responded as she disappeared into the thick fog above the elements.

*********************

As the 777 hurdled its way back towards the strange little village, a dense fog rolled in front and blocked the vision of the pilots. Captain Beckham sighed and said, “Looks like we’ll have to switch to IFR flying, though I don’t know what good it will do us if there’s nothing on the display.”

“Well, I find more point looking at the instruments instead of a wall of fog,” the F/O pointed out.

“I guess your right,” Beckham responded as he and Roberts focused their eyes on their instruments instead of the blank world outside of the cockpit windows. The plane kept on flying itself, remaining at its set altitude and, unbeknownst to the pilots, moved towards Sweet Apple Acres.

********************

Rainbow scanned the blank skies surrounding her as the noise from the flying object got louder and louder. She couldn’t tell which way it was coming from; but, being stubborn and the element of loyalty, she didn’t want to let her friends down by not being able to find the direction this thing was coming from. Her friends below heard the sound increasing as well as whatever it was got closer and closer to their position. They started to look 3 ways in one second nearly panicking as this unknown and possibly hostile object approached them. The fog up where RD was began to clear a little bit, as the noise seemed to reach its peak. Rainbow Dash did a 360 of the area around her and as she finished she froze in her spot as a large thing with wings moved towards her. What froze her and made her mind go blank were the two creatures that were inside the front of the thing looking down at something in front of them. She kept staring as one of them looked up to her.

*****************************
As Roberts looked up from his instruments for a second, he spotted a cyan colored creature floating in front of them and coming up fast because of their current airspeed. In shock, he shouted, “WHAT IS THAT?!” which startled Beckham and drew his gaze to what Roberts was looking at. In a rush Beckham disengaged the AP and Roberts took manual control. He banked the aircraft right and put it into a descent in order to miss what ever it was that they were going to hit. Time slowed down as the plane began to descend and bank to the right. Unknown to the pilots, the fog cleared all the way through for a short period of time, allowing one to look from the ground up and see the event. There were 6 of these witnesses that all looked up at the scene unfolding in front of them. All were in total shock when they saw the full event occur in front of their very eyes.