• Published 11th May 2012
  • 1,911 Views, 10 Comments

Applejack and what else - owocowy



Applejack looks for a hobby, and she discovers a new talent.

  • ...
2
 10
 1,911

Chapter 7: The winner

The pack of friends were sitting in the Sugarcube Corner. Everypony had a drink of their own, and a slice of deliciously looking cake on their plates.

“...and when we all thought that she is about to lose, BOOM!” Rainbow Dash was gesticulating vigorously. “The pony slammed to the ground! Heh, you should see the look on Flim Flams’ faces! They ran away like scared foals!”

“Oh my, that must have been very exhausting, Applejack” Fluttershy commented, as Rainbow finished describing the rivalry that Applejack had undertaken.

“Oh, I’m sure it was, even though Rainbow likes to colorize her narration.” Rarity commented, waving her hoof.

“It was totally like I’m saying! AJ here sent him flying!”Rainbow said with little resentment, pointing her hoof to Applejack.

“Uhh... T’wasn’t exactly...” Applejack started with a sheepish grin, but was interrupted.

“That must’ve been AMAZING! I mean – like – you had some super-duper extra strength powers!” Pinkie exclaimed with glee.

“But ah didn’ –“

“Darling, you’re just being too modest” Applejack was interrupted again, this time by Rarity. “The fact is that you have beaten that pony. Cheers to Applejack!” She said, raising her cup. The others followed suit.


The party was slowly reaching its end, as the only pony that still had the energy to party was Pinkie Pie. Applejack stepped outside the Sugarcube Corner to catch some of the cold night-air. She took a nearby bench and extended her hooves, taking in the beauty of Luna’s night. It wasn’t such a late time, a few houses still had lights on, and from time to time a lonely pony would run the streets. Few minutes passed, as the door cracked again and somepony joined beside her. She turned her head to face Twilight.

“T’was some party. Pinke sure knows how to pull those thing off, ain’t she?”

“Undoubtedly.” The unicorn smiled. “Just give her a reason.”

Applejack’s face darkened a bit, what wasn’t unnoticed by Twilight.

“Is something wrong?”

The earth pony just shook her head.

“I can see something’s eating you. Come on, you can tell me.”

Applejack sighed, and frowned a bit more.

“Just share it with me. We’re friends, and you know that together we can sort out any problem, right?” Twilight encouraged, giving the other mare a small nudge. Eventually, Applejack decided to spill the beans.

“It’s just that... Ah’m not sure what we are celebrating.” Twilight gave her a puzzled look, so she quickly began explaining. “What ah mean is that ah’m not sure if ah won that competition fair and square. You were there, and you know that ah was on my best way to lose it.” Applejack recalled the events from earlier. “Ah’m not certain about what happened back there, but ah’m sure as hay that they weren’t mah hooves that won it. Somepony, or something else helped me.”

“Well, if it’s of any consolation, Flim Flam’s were playing it dirty too. I know that it may irk your honest nature, but you should be glad that the events ended up in your favour.”

“Ah know, and Ah am glad. But... you know, if ah were on mah own, ah would’ve lost. And it’s bothering me.” She turned away her head from Twilight and gazed into the sky. “There was a reason why ah accepted that challenge. Ah wanted to prove mahself. It was stupid, risky, reckless and everythin’ else, but ah accepted it anyways. Ah wanted to prove myself that ah can win something on my own.”

“But... why?”

“Well.” Applejack sighed. ”Ah guess Ah’m plain jealous. You guys are great, everyone of you have something to be proud of. And ah... let’s say ah haven’t achieved anything in a while.”

Twilight was slightly shocked by this sudden confession. Upon seeing the tears forming in her friend’s eyes, she wrapped her foreleg around her and gave her a reassuring hug.

“Oh, Applejack... But you are great! Do you know why you are my friend? Because you’re one of the best of ponies I’ve ever met. You don’t have to prove it – you have it inside. I know it.” She patted her and stood up. “And I think that you won that competition fair and square. Whatever happened, it’s your merit, because of who you are. If there was somepony willing to help you, it is something to be happy about.”

Applejack smiled, wiping off the remnants of her bad thoughts away.

“Thanks a lot, Twilight. You are a true friend of mine. But still... A blue ribbon to prove myself would be welcome...”

Twilight gave a laugh.

“Now, my dear Applejack, you’re being plain materialistic!”

“You’re right. Besides, Ah got my bag of bits after all, didn’t Ah?” Applejack also stood up from the bench.

“Right! Bits and pebbles. Who needs anything more?” The two mares shared a laugh.

“Now let’s go back and see how the party’s doin’” Applejack said eventually, walking back inside.


When Applejack was on her way back home, she was totally worn out by the day’s struggle and the party that came after. She had a great time with her friends, but on her lone way home she pondered about how she won the last challenge. She had no clear idea what could have thrown the barrel. Or maybe something pulled that other pony? No, it was more like some external force had launched it. Applejack came to no particular conclusion, as she approached the front door of her house. Despite the lateness, she was greeted by Big Mackintosh and Granny Smith.

“There you are, youngin’! Ain’t that a late time to get home. Your brother told me all about what happened today, and you didn’t say a word to your granny!”

“Uh, yeah, sorry about that…” Applejack wanted to apologize, but was patted on her head by Granny Smith.

“It’s okay, youngin’. Ah’ve heard that you’ve beaten some scurvy ponies that came to our farm. You did good.” The elderly pony yawned widely. “Ah wanted to hear the whole story, but ah guess it can wait until tomorrow. Goodnigh’, you two. Don’t stay up too long.” She said, as she left the room. But Big Mackintosh stayed, and was glaring at Applejack.

“What? Quit that stare, big brother!”

“You cheated.” He said calmly.

“Excuse me?” Applejack was a bit startled. ”Ah didn’t cheat!”

“You did.”

“All ah did was competin’. Ah’m an honest pony, you know.”

“But you’re not super-strong pony.” Big Mackintosh was still impassive, which was getting on her nerves.

“Oh yeah? Maybe ah am!”

“No, you’re not. You were about to lose.”

“Oh, so you were against me?”

“No, but I saw it.”

“Maybe ah was keepin’ mah strength for the last minute?”

“Then why aren’t you using it around the farm? Admit it, you cheated.”

“No, ah didn’t” Applejack poked her brother angrily with her hoof. “And ah don’t know why ah won, sorry.” With that, she stormed off to her bedroom.

Once she got there, she tossed her hat and hopped on her bed. Ah did everything right, she tought, letting out some steam. Ah never cheat! It was my intention to win, but all ah did was pushing that barrel. She rolled on her side, slowly falling asleep. Right?