• Published 11th May 2012
  • 5,629 Views, 78 Comments

Rainbow's Redemption - AstonMartinLover



Rainbow Dash is forced to relive her youth after a plot by Discord gets her exiled from Equestria.

  • ...
4
 78
 5,629

Dreams

Chapter 8: Dreams

Thunderspark had been summoned to Princess Celestia's palace in Canterlot. After waiting a short time in her grand hall, he was escorted in.

"You wanted to see me?"

Celestia looked down at him. She had often looked so serene. So heavenly. But today she wore an unusual expression. One of fear. And uncertainty.

"You are the fastest pony in Equestria. I was in attendance the day you claimed that title."

Thunderspark nodded, blushing slightly. "Thank you madame. I did my best."

Celestia nodded. "Of course. And I'm going to need you to do your best again."

Thunderspark bowed to her. "What would you have me do?"

Celestia turned to an orb floating before her. "Two of my subjects are on the run in the Everfree forest. I cannot seem to find either of them. And I believe you know one of them."

Thunderspark rolled his eyes. "Yeah. Rainbow Dash. We know each other too well."

Celestia sadly nodded. "She has been one of my more troubled subjects. And I am aware you two have a history?"

Thunderspark nodded. "Yeah. And what a history it was."

Celestia arched an eyebrow. "Explain."

Thunderspark shrugged. "We went to flight school together."

"Were you friends?" Celestia inquired.

Thunderspark snorted. "Friends? No. We argued constantly. Actually got into fights once in a while. She is...a bit of..."

Celestia nodded. "Yes? Feel free to speak your mind."

Thunderspark laughed nervously. "Well quite frankly...she is a narcissist, a grand example of laziness, a ridiculously competitive tool, and just, really not the nicest pony you'll ever meet. Not to mention her arrogance..."

"I see your point." Celestia said. "But I have heard that you believe her to be innocent?"

Thunderspark looked down at the floor, choosing his words carefully. "No. She's all the things I just mentioned. But she's...it just isn't something I can imagine. I don't think she could have done those things."

He wondered what Celestia's reaction would be. The ruler was normally quite calm when dealing with discourse.

"I...I'm actually beginning to agree with you. This is uncharacteristic of her. She's always been loyal to me. And while troubled..." She turned towards her orb. "I need you to put together a team. Six or seven ponies. Head into the Everfree forest after her. She has a filly with her."

This grabbed Thunderspark's attention. "A filly? Who?"

"Scootaloo. She's with Rainbow Dash. But I cannot locate her either. I need you and your team to go find them. Do you understand?"

Thunderspark nodded. He turned to leave.

"Before you go Thunderspark, understand this. I understand you have...feelings for Rainbow Dash. I hope these do not interfere with your operations."

Thunderspark turned slowly and told his princess a lie. "No fair princess. Just a...a rivalry. I'll bring her in."


Rainbow Dash continued along the dirt path through the Everfree Forest. She had shared few words with her filly companion. She seemed rendered speechless just being in her presence.

They had been walking for several days. The filly was definately showing signs of tiring. Rainbow Dash had grown irritated by her being there.

She had become somewhat bitter over the past month, and her temporary good nature that she had initially showed the filly had worn off. Now, to her, the filly took on a different form.

A pest.

How was she supposed to start over someplace else with this annoying filly sticking to her?

Prison had changed her attitude for the worse. Her tolerance for filly shenanigans was at an all time low.

The inevitable question was finally asked. "Hey Rainbow Dash? Can we stop for the night?"

Rainbow Dash turned around angrily. "What's the matter? You can't take walking a bit?"

Scootaloo shook her head quickly. "No! I love walking! It's my favorite thing ever! I'm just really tired."

"You signed up for this. You wanted to tag along squirt! This is my show! You want me to stop just because YOU want to sleep? That isn't how this works."

Scootaloo closed her eyes and nodded. "Okay Rainbow Dash. I can keep walking." The filly looked like she was about to pass out.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and decided to be merciful to the persistent filly.

"Alright. I like your attitude. Let's settle down for the night."

Scootaloo yawned. She collapsed into the grass. Rainbow Dash pushed her towards a spot next to a pile of twigs and branches.

Rainbow Dash started rubbing the branches together.

"What are you doing?" Scootaloo asked.

"Trying to start a fire. In case you didn't notice, it's kinda cold out here."

The temperature had been strangely dropping. Even for nighttime it was cold. It was summer. This type of temperature drop made no sense.

Rainbow Dash shrugged this off. She focused on starting the fire.

After grinding the sticks together, her frustration mounted. She whittled away at them before finally hurling them on the ground.

"The sticks don't work."

Scootaloo looked at them carefully. Then she picked them up and struck them together. They lit immediately.

Rainbow Dash let out a slight growl. "You have got to be kidding me."

"Applejack taught me how. It's really easy. You just..." Scootaloo saw by Rainbow's expression that an explanation wouldn't help anything.

She went back to reclining on the ground.

Rainbow Dash sighed and collapsed to the ground next to her. She knew she was snapping at the child. And she knew it was unfair towards little Scoots.

"Why are you out here Scootaloo?"

Scootaloo shrugged. "I don't know. Nothing ever happens in Ponyville. I guess I just want to go out and have an adventure."

Rainbow sighed. "I hear ya kid. It isn't the most exciting place ever. Sometimes I wish I stayed in Cloudsdale."

Scootaloo nodded as she yawned. "I was born in Cloudsdale. My parents...left me behind when I was a newborn. Somehow I ended up in Ponyville. I mean...it could've been worse."

"Hold up squirt. So you've lived pretty much your whole life in Ponyville?"

Scootaloo nodded sheepishly. "Yup."

"So you've never been to Cloudsdale flight school?"

"Nope. Never been. If I had, I'd probably be able to fly by now."

Rainbow Dash snorted. "Can't believe you still can't fly. I mean, for future reference, you probably should learn before trying to mess up a Wonderbolts routine in a packed hoofball stadium!"

Scootaloo's ears flattened, and closed her eyes, hurt by Rainbow's words. "You still remember that huh?"

"Remember it? It was like a month ago. Yeah. It kinda stuck with me. What with how I smacked into the ground at mach 5 saving you and all."

Scootaloo continued looking down. "I'm...I'm really sorry Rainbow Dash. And I'm sorry I can't fly."

Rainbow Dash paused. She had been scolding the filly. But now it looked like she'd actually hurt her feelings.

"Hey look. You already apologized. It's okay. Sometimes...you just gotta take things slow."

"Take things slow? Have you ever taken anything slow?

Rainbow Dash waved her hoof. "Oh of course I...well..."

"No. Of course you haven't. You're the fastest pony in all of Equestria. And that makes me the slowest." Scootaloo pouted.

Dash awkwardly stumbled over words of encouragement. "Well...hey. You're young. You still have plenty of time to figure it out."

Scootaloo didn't respond. She was asleep. Rainbow Dash sighed. The conversation had become a bit more intense that she was comfortable with.

It all made sense now. Why she wanted Rainbow Dash to see her fly. She wanted to impress her. Rainbow Dash groaned at this irritating realization. She tried to think about other things.

As she thought about how long it had been since she had last slept, her eyes drooped shut. She dozed off.


22 years earlier

The hospital room was crowded. Doctors and nurses filing in and out. Lightning Dash waited outside, unsure whether or not to bother the doctors about the details of what was going on inside.

Cloudsdale General Hospital was the largest hospital in Cloudsdale, and one of the largest in all of Equestria. Even the self-confident Lightning Dash had to admit that this place intimidated him. With all it's bright lights and high tech equipment, not to mention the sheer number of patients and doctors.

"Uh, excuse me sir? My wife is in there. I was just wondering what's going on."

"Oh it's going to be okay Mr. Dash sir. She's holding in there. It appears she caught something during childbirth."

Lightning was unsure of what to do in this situation. He had been in quite a few adventures in his life. He was one of the most athletic pegasi in all of Cloudsdale. He had been a hoofball quarterback for years before an injury caused him to retire. He was a speed champion. Set a record at Cloudsdale Flight School that had been broken only by the great Ironwing himself.

And as such, he never expected to feel such fear, especially during the time of his baby's birth.

There was silence inside. Not even doctors spoke now. Dead silence. Lightning Dash felt something drop in the pit of his stomach.

"You're...Lightning Dash?"

Lightning got to his hooves. "Is everything okay?"

The nurse looked away. He was young. Inexperienced. And he came bearing the worst news of all.

"She...She caught some sort of bug. We don't know how it happened. But...look she doesn't have long."

Lightning was in shock. "What? Wait, what are you saying?"

"She doesn't have much longer..."

"You already said that! What does it mean?" Lightning demanded.

The nurse swallowed hard. "Well...she's gonna die."

Lightning Dash shook his head. "No. No she isn't. She was perfectly healthy when she came in here..."

"Yes I know. We believe it was a complication during childbirth. We're making her as comfortable as possible."

Lightning Dash shoved the nurse out of the way and went into the room.

Arrowhead lay there, sweat pouring from her head, soaking her mane. She smiled when she saw him.

"Hey there. I know you hate goodbyes but come on..." She joked.

Lightning Dash shook his head, more tears coming to his eyes. "What are you talking about goodbye? Nopony has to say goodbye. You're not going anywhere." His voice cracked as he said this. She was crying too.

She wiped his face. "No. I don't have time for tears baby. I need you to take care of dashie okay?"

Lightning nodded. "Of course. Of course I will. She's gonna grow up big and strong like me. And like you."

Arrowhead smiled. "She's gonna be the best there is Lightning. She's gonna be the best there is..."

Arrowhead faded away. The doctors came around and desperately attempted to revive her. Lightning Dash looked on in shock. His legs were shaking. He collapsed to the hospital room floor.

"Somepony help him up!" A doctor shouted.

They continued trying to resuscitate Arrowhead for almost an hour. She showed no response. Eventually the blanket was lifted over her head. Lightning Dash remained in the room. He sat staring off into space, trying to comprehend how this could have happened.

The doctor came in and paused when he saw Lightning. "Uh...I'm very sorry for your loss. We did everything we could."

Lightning nodded slowly. "What about the baby? Is the baby okay?"

"The baby is fine. She's perfectly healthy." The doctor managed a smile.

Lightning Dash did not smile back. "Thank you doctor. Can I see her?"

The doctor led him to the incubation chamber. There lay little Rainbow Dash, in her tiny incubator, feeling warmth for the first time.

After about an hour they took her out and wrapped her in a blanket. Then they handed her to Lightning. He looked down on the baby pony and smiled.

"You are gonna be the best there is. I promise."

Suddenly Discord appeared over Lightning's left shoulder.

"Guess you let him down Dashie."


Rainbow Dash snapped awake. She was screaming. She was clutching Scootaloo against her chest. Scootaloo was giving her a funny look.

"Um...are you okay Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow Dash shoved her away and wiped the sweat from her brow. "Yeah I'm fine. It's time to move. Now."

Normally her laziness would keep her in bed for hours more. But now, she was terrified, and the adrenaline was telling her to get moving.

"But...it's like five in the morning!" Scootaloo whined.

"You got a problem with my wake up times? Then go back to Ponyville! I'm leaving now. Hope you can catch up!"

Rainbow turned and trotted away. Scootaloo was hot on her heels.

"I'm sorry Rainbow Dash! Wait up!"

Rainbow rolled her eyes. This kid was harder to get rid of than parasprites.

But she had other things on her mind. Like the fact that she had relived a long forgotten memory. And the fact that Discord was in it.

Discord. Perhaps he was behind this.

"So Scoots. How'd you sleep?"

Scootaloo was surprised at the question. "Uh...good I guess."

"Had any nightmares?" Rainbow inquired.

Scootaloo gave her a puzzled look. "I don't...think so. I can't really remember. Did you have a nightmare?"

Rainbow Dash shook her head. "Of course not. I never have nightmares."

Even the filly could see through that lie. "Do you want to talk about it Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow Dash shook her head quickly. "No. Not at all. Forget I asked."


Twilight sat alone in her library. The other four were to come over soon.

When she had awakened this morning, she had been hit with a wave of regret. Over Rainbow Dash. Over everything.

The other four greeted her cheerfully and filed in. Applejack noticeably had a black eye.

"What happened AJ?"

Applejack sighed. "I don't want to talk about it."

Twilight nodded. "Girls, we screwed this one up."

"What do you mean?" Rarity asked.

"Rainbow Dash. We didn't handle her well. We should've shown her more love. Even if what we saw was true..."

"It was!" Rarity shouted. "She left us to die! What is all this sadness borne from?"

Twilight looked up at her, tears in her eyes. "She's out there somewhere Rarity. Alone. And cold. She's only got Scootaloo for company. She needs us now. And it's too late."

Fluttershy did not speak. She seemed emotionally on edge.

"I know some of us agree with me." Twilight said, gesturing to her. "It doesn't matter what she allegedly did. She's one of us. We should've been there for her."

Applejack nodded. "I definately could have been a bit more...delicate. Didn't mean to hit her or anything..."

"And now she's on her own. She could be dead already." Twilight let her emotion get the best of her for a moment. She punched the wall in frustration, sending a shot of pain through her hoof. She winced.

"What are you suggesting?" Rarity asked.

"We should go find her." Fluttershy said.

Twilight nodded. "We should. We must."


Celestia and Luna met in the grand hall of the Canterlot Castle. "Luna. I'm placing you in charge. There's something I need to do. I may not come back."

Luna was surprised. "Well...what do you mean you won't come back?"

"I need to get to the bottom of something. And if it's what I think it is...I won't be coming back."

"But...sis..."

"No. You have to be strong now. For Equestria. For me."

Luna sighed. "Could you at least tell me what you're doing?"

"I think Discord escaped."

Luna gasped. "But...then...let me go with you! If we both go, we could defeat him again!"

Celestia shook her head sadly. "We no longer wield the elements. The six from Ponyville wield them...I mean the five."

"But the two of us would stand a better chance!" Luna begged.

"And what if he beat us both? Who would lead? You must stay. Lead Equestria. I have to make one stop first, then I will go."

Luna was unprepared for this and she knew it. "Look, please. You stay. I'll go."

"No. You are not as powerful as I sister. You wouldn't stand a chance. I will do my best." She embraced her younger sister. "I love you. Always. Best of luck."

With that Celestia extended her massive, gorgeous wings and flew off.


Discord sat in his cave, pondering his moves as his army assembled itself. Grey Dash touched down behind him.

"Master. I come to report that my first mind hacking was successful."

Discord smiled. "Very good. Everything is falling into place perfectly. She's abandoned her friends. She's been abandoned by her friends. The division is successful. Now only Celestia remains in our way."

"So should I take care of Celestia?" The changeling asked.

Discord frowned. "You're job isn't done yet. Rainbow Dash's mind remains sane. You must continue to haunt her with these memories. Just in case she decides to come back. I want her mind...destroyed by guilt and remorse."

Grey Dash nodded. "Consider it done master."