• Published 19th Mar 2015
  • 657 Views, 23 Comments

Jecolt/Hyde - EthanClark



Within each of us there are two natures; the good and compassionate side we have struggled to maintain, and something... primitive.

  • ...
4
 23
 657

The Trial of Two Ponies

Jecolt felt a cool pressure against his cheek. He forced his eyes open slightly, stinging as they made contact with the dim light of the room. Jecolt winced, allowing his eyes time to adjust, and began to scan the room around him.

The chamber was empty, save for two guards standing parallel to a set of large doors, the only exit. On either side of the door were two large windows, showcasing the dark and gentle night outside. One of the guards banged three times on the door behind him. The two shifted back, allowing the doors to swing open slowly.

Princess Celestia stood before Jecolt, her eyes focused. With a subtle nod of her head the guards made their way out of the room. When Jecolt rose from the floor he felt the weight of large chains on his ankles. His eyes shifted from his shackles to the princess, desperately searching for an explanation.

“Princess,” he said. “What happened? W-Where am I?”

Celestia said nothing, her eyes fixed on Jecolt’s. The silence in the room began to make his fur stand on end.

“Princess, please, tell me what happened. I need to know what he’s done.”

“What he has done, doctor,” Celestia snapped, “is brutally murder four of my subjects, three in my very home, with confirmed reports of a fourth that you mauled to death!”

“A fourth? But there was no…” Jecolt’s eyes widened. The images of terrified patrons from the previous night shot through his mind. He began to tremble, rattling the chains attached to his legs.

“No, no it wasn’t me. Princess, you have to understand, I am not responsible for these actions. It was—”

“Enough!” Celestia’s voice shook the room. “Too many have died for me to listen to your justifications. You have brought terror to dozens, taken the lives of innocent ponies, and have ignored the Committee’s judgement against you. I don’t know what evil could possess you to—”

“Then allow me to explain!” Jecolt shouted with a pained expression.

Celestia maintained a furled brow as she released a sigh. “Continue, Doctor Jecolt.”

Jecolt took a breath of his own, collecting his thoughts. After suppressing the flutter in his stomach he lifted his head.

“Last night, I defied the order given to me by the Committee. I was so convinced that they were wrong, that I could truly separate good from evil. So I took the formula. At first the process was harmless. I didn’t know what would happen, or if it would even work, but my confidence could not be dissuaded. Until…”

“Until what?”

“Until I became… him.” Jecolt’s eyes widened and he shuddered. “In a terrible, violent transformation, I became Hyde.”

“Hyde? Is that his name?”

“Yes, it’s what he calls himself. He possessed my body, twisted it into some darker shape. I do not know exactly what happened, but when I awoke in my home the memories and emotions of his experiences rushed into me. It was horrifying.”

I’m so glad you approve, daddy.

Jecolt clutched his head, groaning as he shut his eyes tight. Celestia jumped at his sudden reaction.

“Doctor, what’s wrong?”

“He can… he can talk to me.” Jecolt groaned again. “Through my...”

His muscles became tight as he twitched and shuddered. After a few moments he slumped onto the floor. Celestia lowered her head to meet his weary gaze.

“Jecolt, what is happening to you?” Celestia’s violet eyes relaxed Jecolt’s nerves, slowing the pace of his stampeding heart. He rose from the floor.

“Hyde is attempting to take control of my body. I can feel him pushing within me, like water in a balloon. I cannot hold out for too long before he takes control again.”

“Can’t you control him? You created him, after all.”

“If only it were so easy.” Jecolt began to rub his temples, further easing his pain. “He is too strong. He has a desire in him that I simply cannot suppress. I had hopes to create an antidote, but that was before I discovered Blue Moon had suspended me.”

Celestia turned from Jecolt. Her brow furled as she paced. The light of the moon bathed her solemn face in its glow.

“Princess,” Jecolt began, “there is still a chance to be rid of him.”

“Jecolt, my friend, you have put me in a very difficult situation.” Celestia sighed, lowering her head as her eyes closed. “You have created something, a monster, that has already claimed the lives of four ponies. Normally I would have one such as you put through trial, judged by your peers.” Celestia turned to the nighttime scenery beyond the thin glass of the window.

“But this is different. From what I can see, the only crime you are guilty of is acting in contempt of the Committee, which is punishable by forcible resignation. But this thing, this ‘Hyde’… I simply can’t let him roam free.”

“Then, Princess, I request that you grant me access to my laboratory,” Jecolt said firmly. “I am confident that I can find a way to counteract the effects of the formula and repel Hyde’s evil influence.”

There was a pause. Jecolt strained his ears, desperately awaiting Celestia’s response.

“No, Jecolt, I can’t do that,” Celestia stated through a sigh. “You are my friend but my trust has been broken. I see now that I was wrong to believe you would abandon you research, as passionate as you were.”

“But Princess, I—”

“No.” Celestia stamped her hoof as she turned to a shaken Jecolt. “I don’t know what this Hyde can do, and frankly neither do you. You cannot prove to me that your work will not be influenced by him. I'm sorry, but I can't grant access to your research.”

Jecolt’s jaw went numb, hanging open. He slumped onto the cold floor in between his rattling chains. Only the sound of the nighttime wind could be heard as it echoed softly through the room. The tension in Celestia’s body began to subside.

“Then, your majesty.” Jecolt raised his head to Celestia, a solemn expression painted across his face.

“If you cannot grant me access to my laboratory, and refuse to reinstate me, then I must ask that you end my life in order to stop Hyde.”

“Jecolt, no. No!” Celestia gasped as she closed the distance between her and Jecolt. “You can’t be serious. There must be another way, I am sure of it. Just give me time.”

“And what shall I do in that time?” Jecolt shouted while small tears formed in his eyes. “Wait for Hyde to peel my mind apart and worm his way into my soul?”

Celestia recoiled as Jecolt hunched over. His soft sobbing echoed within the room.

“Jecolt, I…” she stuttered before placing a wing over his shoulders. “There has been enough bloodshed already. I don’t want to end this the same way it began. Please understand that.”

“I understand that you are afraid,” Jecolt said with a quivering voice, “but you can’t leave me with him. Not like this. You either let me cure myself or you end my life, here and now. There is no other choice. You have to—!”

Jecolt cringed and fell to the floor, his limbs twitching in every which way. Celestia jumped at the sudden crack from beneath her outstretched wing. Jecolt gurgled and twitched as more cracks, each more violent than the first, signaled the beginning of his transformation.

Her mouth hung agape as Celestia bore witness to the horrific display. Her expression darkened as quickly as Jecolt’s coat did. Finally the squelching sounds of writhing muscle and skin ended and left a larger, darker creature before her. With a final snap it craned its head towards the ceiling, drawing a long breath through its nose.

“Ugh… finally,” Hyde hissed. “It is so stuffy in that naïve little head of his.” He stretched his shoulders, effortlessly resisting the weight of his chains. Celestia stood back, her elegant white wings standing upright as she slowly straightened her posture.

“What are you?”

Hyde cocked an eyebrow, a wicked grin forming on his face. He locked his flickering, emerald eyes with Celestia’s own. She took a cautious step back as Hyde approached her, the now tight-fitting chains clinking with each step.

“I am the inevitable result, the tipping point between genius and madness. I am the viciously simple conclusion that everypony wants, that everypony needs. So in short, Princess…” Hyde leaned in close to meet Celestia’s eyes. “I don’t know.”

Hyde cackled, savoring the nervous and confused expression on Celestia’s face. She didn’t wait for the twisted giggling to stop before speaking in a cold, authoritative voice.

“Perhaps your actions should speak for themselves, Mr. Hyde. Regardless of what you were intended to be, you have become a murderer and a terror to my city and those who reside in it. But I am not unreasonable, and it is only fair that I address both involved in this tragedy. I want you to understand that I—”

“You think I care what you want?” Hyde said through his sharp, toothy grin. “We both know you won’t kill Jecolt, which means you won’t kill me. Don’t insult me by saying it’s ‘only fair.’ You don’t have the gall to end us both.”

Celestia raised her head, slowly narrowing her vision as she did so. Hyde’s only reaction was to return her livid gaze with his own elated one. Celestia opened her mouth to speak, but was caught off guard by another, more sophisticated voice.

“Stay thy words, dear sister. Such reason is fruitless against him.”

Hyde’s ears perked up. He slowly turned to face the source of the mysterious voice that echoed in the room. From within the shadows emerged Princess Luna, stoic and walking with force behind every step.

“Luna… sister, what are you doing here?”

“Night is our domain, and We know all that transpires within. This… cretin notwithstanding.”

Hyde growled and lunged for Luna. The bolts on the floor creaked as the chains held him back, inches from Luna’s face. Despite his piercing eyes and snapping jowls, Luna’s cold expression remained unchanged.

“Oh, you have nerve, Princess, to insult me.” Hyde’s muscles tensed as he struggled against his bindings. Luna shifted her passive glance to Celestia.

“Why not dispatch this creature where it stands, sister? Verily it poses a threat.”

“It’s not the creature I’m worried about, Luna,” Celestia stated. “But rather his creator. I can’t be rid of Hyde without killing Jecolt.”

Luna slowly circled Hyde, studying him. Her eyes traveled along his dark frame as she carefully analyzed it’s every feature. The tension in Hyde’s muscles did not cease, for Luna’s arrival had put him on edge. He watched her every move.

“We see your worry. The creature is formidable and may not fall victim to traditional forms of execution, and ending the doctor would be a punishment unbefitting of an innocent.” Luna paused, diverting her gaze away from Hyde. “Perhaps he may prove useful.”

“Ha, I would rather plough a legless child then help you.” Hyde stated through a chuckle.

“Silence, knave. Your input is not required.”

Hyde lunged again, but this time was met with a blue curtain of light that held him in place. He strained and writhed from behind the magical barrier as he shouted at Luna.

“A ‘knave?’ You need to learn your place! I am not some ‘loyal subject’ willing to bend his knee to your petty whims. Continue to insult me and you will soon learn how monstrous I can truly be.”

Luna lowered the shield as Hyde eased his tension. She turned from him and stepped to Celestia.

“Tch, royal wench.”

Without warning, a crushing pressure returned and forced Hyde to the ground, surrounding him in a blue glow. The loud clang of his chains echoed through the room. Luna, eyes glowing white, stomped towards the helpless form before her. Her voice pierced Hyde’s ears like blades through flesh.

“Thou durst refer to us as ‘royal wench?!’ Cur, thou shalt learn thine place. Thou art murderous filth, and We art thine sovereign!”

Hyde squirmed beneath the crushing weight of Luna’s force. He struggled to rise, but every inch he could gain was met with more and more resistance. His head was slammed against to cool marble of the floor, cracking the marble beneath him.

“Henceforth, thou shalt refer to us as your ‘your royal highness’ and nothing less.” The pressure increased. “Hath we made ourselves clear?”

“Y-You dirty, filthy—!” Another blast suppressed his unfavorable comment.

“We said, art we clear!?”

Hyde managed to raise his head from beneath the crushing magic, revealing his pained expression. He continued to fight, but a steady stream of blood came from Hyde’s nostril before he fell to the ground for the last time.

“Yes… your r-royal highness.” Hyde mumbled. Relief washed over him as the field began to dissipate. Hyde lay motionless on the floor, heavy breaths drawing his chest in and out. His half-lidded eyes followed Princess Luna as she stepped over him.

“Guards! Remove this foul creature from our sight. Place him in the lowest cell of the dungeon until We have decided what to do with him.”

The large double-doors opened and the guardponies from outside entered to collect the weary Hyde. They took hold of his chains and dragged him from the chamber. Hyde shook and squirmed on the floor, but every movement brought pain to his very bones, a gift from Luna’s treatment. He went limp before the guards closed the door behind them.


“I’m shocked, Luna,” Celestia said. “Was such force really necessary?”

The two stood alone in the chamber. The blood left on the floor was raised by Luna and, in a puff of smoke, dissolved into nothingness. Luna took a deep sigh and eased her tensed muscles.

“We are no stranger to darkness, sister. This creature is a spawn of hatred and desire, and thus there are certain… methods that prove most effective.” Her gaze landed on the broken marble of the floor.

“How do you know so much about him?”

Luna slowly turned to her sister. From beneath her fluid mane, Luna’s eyes stared deeply into Celestia’s.

“Because We were once like him,” she said softly.

“Oh Luna.” Celestia spread her wings and approached Luna. A firm hoof to her chest, however, restrained the coming embrace. Luna’s eyes became focused.

“Please, sister, save thy pity for Jecolt. It is he who will need it.” Luna returned her hoof to the floor. “Instead, We present a proposition.”

“And that is?” Celestia cocked an eyebrow.

“We have read Captain Ironhoof’s report of Hyde’s capture. There was mention of invisible assailants, correct?”

“Yes?” Celestia’s voice dragged as her eyes squinted. She tilted her head to one side.

“Such reports are not news to us. Ponies appearing from nowhere, clothed only in bandages. Stealing artifacts, spying on nobles, infiltrating this city’s infrastructure. Today marks the second time they have come for Hyde. We feel he is their target.

“But now they have attacked him in the sanctity of our home and made light of our guards. Such an invasion must not be tolerated.”

“I’m not sure I understand, Luna.” Celestia’s voice shook, put off by her sister’s confession. "I can see the threat these rogues pose, but what does Jecolt have to do with this?”

“It is unknown, but our night guard hath confirmed their actions as nefarious,” Luna began. “They have already accounted for five separate sightings of these spies. If you grant us custody of the doctor and his creature we can use him to eliminate this threat.”

“Luna, he’s a friend, not a weapon. To even consider it is unfair. Could you even control Hyde?”

“But he has already dispatched three of their agents, with remarkable efficiency, which is more than any of our night guard could accomplish,” Luna stated. “And if control is what troubles you, then perhaps thou shalt remember who forced the beast into submission.”

Celestia put her hooves together, staring pensively into space. Her eyes traced the distance from the cracked floor to Luna’s stoic glare. She released a long, weary sigh.

“Alright, sister. If you are absolutely certain you can control him, then Hyde is yours. But,” Celestia’s gaze intensified as she towered over Luna. “If anything – anything – happens, and Hyde is let loose, then you will be held responsible.”

Luna produced a content smile and approached her sister, placing a hoof upon her sister’s shoulder.

“We will not disappoint you, you will see.”

Luna turned to the doors, swinging them open, with Celestia following her out into the hallway. Celestia began to trail behind as her pace slowed. Her vision blurred and she grasped her head with a single hoof, struggling to stand

“What ails you, sister?” Luna asked.

“Oh, it’s nothing Luna.” The ache in her head withered and restored her vision. With a shake of her head Celestia stood straight and walked to Luna’s side. She gave a small, weary smile.

“It’s been a long day.”

Author's Note:

In light of how little attention this story has been getting, I've been debating on whether or not I should continue this venture. It's not that I've become disinterested, but more so that I feel the only person I'm writing this fro is myself, and that is a tad disheartening.

I probably will keep going, but the thought is there.