• Published 8th Sep 2015
  • 4,373 Views, 1,265 Comments

The Velveteen Mask - Crystal Wishes



Everypony knows her as a cute, bubbly mare with a penchant for playful mischief, but is that just a mask she wears? Who really is Velvet Step?

  • ...
31
 1,265
 4,373

Showing a Brave Face

Step one, two, three, four, five. Left hindleg arabesque à la hauteur, sweep the forelegs. Step one, two, three, four, five. Right hindleg arabesque à la hauteur, sweep the forelegs.

As Velvet glided across the stage in perfect formation with the other corps dancers, she wanted to scream. She hated this performance. Swan Lake was full of slow, graceful movements that impressed viewers but were terribly boring for her. She wanted to jump, leap, spin, and really, really get into the moves. No—she had to stop, turn to the front, slide her left leg to the side, and raise her forelegs above her head. Everything had to be in sync with her fellow dancers.

"No, no, no," Perennial's voice called above the music, which came to a halt. "Was any of that swan-like?" She looked between them all with one brow raised. "Odette does not surround herself with pigeons. You are her swanmaidens! A swan is graceful." With a sigh, she waved a hoof. "Try it again."

The frustration inside Velvet boiled over and she stomped one hoof. While the others dragged themselves back to the starting line off-stage, Velvet swished into a grand battement, beat her legs together, and, as she came down, performed a fouetté at the last minute. It did little to release her pent-up energy, but the light stomping of hooves from Nightingale made her smile, at least.

"Don't worry," Nightingale said, giggling. "We just need to get through Swan Lake, and then maybe we'll do something more to your tempo."

Velvet rolled her eyes. "I doubt it. I don't think Perennial is going to let us stop performing Swan Lake for a while. With my luck, we'll do so well that we'll be put on tour and keep performing it until either I fall over dead, or she does." She shot a light glare over her shoulder at the oblivious diva.

Nightingale's smile fell and she blinked a few times. "Are you okay? You seem a little worked up."

"I'm fine." Velvet flashed a grin. "Don't worry about me. Let's just try to get through this practice without offending Her Royal Aggravation."

After they formed a line and the music started up, the boring repetition began again. She could feel her sanity slowly slipping away with every slow movement of her legs. Step one, two, three, four...

---

The darkness was probed by neon lights that flashed through every color of a rainbow on steroids. Music reverberated its way into Velvet's very soul, her heartbeat pounding with the thumping of the bass. She was free to move more the way she wanted, though of course a nightclub was no place for arabesques and cabrioles. The important part was that she was free.

A lusciously feminine form danced next to her, swaying and glancing over her shoulder to send Velvet unspoken signals. Tonight was not the night, however. Velvet turned away to make her lack of intentions clear to the mare who, on any other night, would already be splayed on her back on whatever flat surface Velvet would have found. That night she just wanted to dance and not in the sense of innuendo.

Above the techno a voice called out for shots. Velvet's ears perked and she tore away from the dance floor to seek out the action. Two mares stood at the bar, pounding their hooves as the bartender poured several shot glasses full of something bright green. Velvet licked her lips and approached them.

"Got room for one more?" Velvet hopped up onto the stool beside them.

The mares looked at her, looked at each other, and grinned.

"Only if you think you can keep up," one mare said, glancing at Velvet's cutie mark. "This might be a little too much for pretty little ballerinas."

Velvet returned their grins with one of her own. "Bring it on."

The other mare laughed and slammed her hoof on the bar. "More shots, then! I'm buying!"

With six little glasses in front of each of them, Velvet and the mares raised one, clinked them together, then tossed them back. It tasted just how it smelled: like crisp, sour green apples coated in liquid sugar. Velvet dropped the empty glass to the counter and offered a hoof to the mare beside her. "I'm Velvet, by the way."

"Blue Rhapsody," the mare replied and gestured at her companion, who was already tossing back her second shot. "And that's Hot Shot."

"Shots!" Hot Shot exclaimed, glaring. "Hot Shots!"

"Whatever," Rhapsody said and retrieved her second glass.

Velvet joined her and winked. "Nice to meet you. I think after a few of these we're going to be very, very good friends."

Two shots turned into three and three turned into four. A fire burned in Velvet's chest and there was a bit of fuzziness clouding the edge of her mind. Laughing was easier. Remembering was harder. Hooves were wandering.

Velvet blinked. What was that last part? There was one hoof on her thigh and two more behind her, one on each flank. Velvet waved her forelegs and stumbled off the stool, scowling. "No! Not tonight. I don't, I don't, I don't tonight." She glared at the blue and red mares in front of her. "You're both totally hot but I don't tonight."

Rhapsody snorted and laughed. "But you said to!"

Velvet's left eyelid sagged as she searched her memory. Everything was fuzzy. Too much alcohol. Finally, she stuck out her tongue and turned away from them. "Not tonight."

She had to go somewhere. Clean up. Sober up. She couldn't go home like this. Stumbling out of the club, she grabbed her suddenly aching head and groaned. Where could she go?

Home. Not home, but the other home. It would be safe there.

She walked the streets with as little staggering as she could manage. Home wasn't too far. She blinked her tired eyes to keep her focus. The road would take her home as long as she followed it. It was strangely difficult, but she managed the task.

"Mooom," she called, knocking on the door to her parents' condo. "Daaad! Open uuup!"

After a while, the door to the condo behind her opened and a hoof reached out to grab her by the back of her neck. She squeaked as she was dragged away from what she then recognized as distinctly not her parents' condo door.

"Sweetie, it's four in the morning." Sunbeam muttered while shutting the door. "What happened?"

Velvet dropped down and closed her eyes. "Shots."

Sunbeam stood with her back to Velvet, then sighed. "Okay, hot shot—"

"Shots," Velvet interrupted with a small, snorting giggle. "Hot shots."

"Okay, hot shots, get your rump off the floor and into the bathroom. If you're going to be sick you're not doing it on the carpet." Sunbeam walked over to the kitchen. "I'll get you some water and some ginger."

Velvet rolled over, flailed her hooves for a bit, then finally righted herself. "'Kay." She wobbled her way to the bathroom. "Thanks, Mom."

The bathroom floor was cold, a welcome contrast to the heat she felt all over her skin. She sprawled out in an attempt to get as much of her pressed against the cool tile as possible until her mother returned.

"Here you are, sweetie." Sunbeam set a glass of water and a ginger root by Velvet's head. "Now, do you want to tell me what happened? Drinking this much isn't like you."

Velvet craned her neck and took a bite of the ginger. After chewing it slowly and then swallowing, she muttered, "Bad day at work."

Sunbeam settled on the floor beside her. She pulled out the clip that kept Velvet's bun in place, then ran a hoof through the wavy mauve tresses. "You seem to have a lot of those lately."

"Ugh." Velvet dropped her head back down. "It's this stupid Swan Lake. I don't know what's up Perennial's rump but I'm sooo sick of her attitude."

"Are you playing nice?" Sunbeam asked, raising one brow. "I love you, Velvet, but you do have a habit of—"

"Whatever," Velvet interrupted as she shoved herself upright and grabbed the glass of water. "My fault or her fault, it's too late now. I can't stand her and she can't stand me." Her ears folded back. "I just gotta get through this Swan Lake and maybe the next one won't get her so worked up and snooty."

The water was room temperature, which was strangely offensive where water was concerned. She didn't mind lukewarm juice, but water? If it wasn't crisp and cold, it was gross. She knew she needed the fluid, however, so she chugged it down nonetheless.

Sunbeam smiled and rubbed a small circle into Velvet's back. "Well, all right. But if this keeps up then we're going to have to have a serious talk, all right, sweetie? Now you just sit here until you feel up to walking. I'll go get your bed ready."

Velvet bobbed her head. "Okay, Mom. Thanks."

She waited until the sound of her mother's hoofsteps disappeared around a corner before she let out a heavy sigh. Why wasn't life easy anymore?

---

Velvet yawned and dropped down onto the couch in her and Crystal's living room. She had overslept at her parents' place, was late to practice, stayed late as per Mistress Perennial's command, and now only had five minutes before Crystal came home from school. Five minutes to herself. Five minutes of peace.

She rolled over onto her back and stared at the ceiling. Maybe she could convince Crystal to go out for dinner. She didn't feel like being cooped up in the house today. A nice little dinner out on the town, two gals palling around without a care like they used to, before Crystal started dating and socializing and doing everything else that detracted from their time together. A smile crept onto her face and she nodded, commending herself for the idea.

Right on time, the lock jiggled before the door opened and Crystal hurried inside. "Velvet, I'm so sorry for coming home so terribly late last night!"

Velvet blinked. She had almost completely forgotten that they hadn't seen each other yesterday. "Oh. Uh." She offered a lopsided smile. "It's okay?"

Crystal dropped her school bag by the door and trotted into the kitchen to put the kettle on the stove. "I just, oh, where to start?" She shook her head.

Velvet's smile fell and she sat upright. "Making tea already? What's up?"

Crystal turned to look at her. "Silent's father died."

"Oh my gosh," Velvet gasped more than said, a hoof flying to cover her mouth. "That's awful! What happened?!"

"I've not exactly been privy to the details," Crystal admitted as her ears drooped. "Most of last night was spent in tension and uncertainty. His mother is a different kind of mare than I'm accustomed to, but I need to go back there tonight. Winterspear can't handle it on her own and she won't let Iridescence help her."

Velvet blinked slowly. Though she had several questions, all she could say was "Oh."

Crystal shook her head. "I'm sorry. I know we hardly see each other as it is, but I'll be spending my evenings with them until Silent comes home."

This conversation was not going the way she had planned. Where was the gabbing? The galavanting around town without a care? "And when is that?"

"I don't know." Crystal turned back to the stove. "Anyway, I'm going to make some tea, catch my breath, then head out. Why don't you tell me what's going on with you?"

Velvet laid back down on the couch. "Nothing new. The usual. Ballet, parents, Red, you." She snorted. "Well, less you than usual, but you're still a part of my life somewhere in there."

Crystal gasped and walked over to close the distance between them. "Hey! I'm sorry, all right? Things will ease up when school is over and when Silent returns. This is just temporary."

But Silent wasn't temporary. Neither was Crystal going to social events. Velvet kept her gaze fixed firm on the ceiling. There was nothing temporary about them not spending time together at all. "I know," she said with a forced smile. "You take care of his mom and sister, okay? I'll be here when you get a chance to come home."

Crystal eyed her with reasonable suspicion before she sighed, leaned down, and nuzzled Velvet's cheek. "As soon as Silent is home, I'm taking your cranky rump on a date."

Velvet stuck out her tongue. "We broke up, remember?"

Crystal winked. "We can't have broken up since we were never dating, which means I'm free to take you on a date."

"That's pretty loose logic," Velvet said with a laugh and shrugged. "Okay, fine, whatever. Go have your tea and run along. I'll be fine on my own."

It wasn't like she wasn't already getting used to the idea of being alone, anyway.

---

Two dinners.

In the past three weeks, Crystal had found time to have dinner with Velvet twice. At least one of them had been because Crystal managed to remember her birthday in the middle of everything else going on, but that wasn't much comfort in the face of loneliness.

Velvet shook her head and tried to focus on her movements. Ballet was the only constant in her life. Red was growing up, Crystal was moving on, she hardly ever saw Horsey anymore—but ballet would never change.

That had its benefits, of course. She could rely on it to be there for her. The downside, however, was that Perennial would be a constant, too.

"Velvet?" Nightingale asked from behind her in a low whisper. "Are you okay?"

Velvet blinked. "Huh? Yeah. Why?"

"Because you haven't moved in the last like, minute."

Velvet looked at her forelegs to see that they were frozen in mid-sweep. All the other dancers were standing around her with their forelegs in fifth position, staring. She laughed, straightened up, and rubbed the back of her neck. "Sorry, girls. My head was in the clouds."

Soft laughing responded and she took position. If she made a habit of that, then perhaps ballet wouldn't always be there for her. She hardened her resolve and pushed away the other thoughts clouding her mind.

She made it through practice without another flub and she thanked Celestia for that. While the other mares showered, she sat on one of the benches along the wall and stared at the ceiling. She didn't have much hope for seeing Crystal that evening for more than a few minutes, if any. Maybe she'd just go over to her parents' house and spend some time with Red.

"Hey, Velvet." Nightingale sat down beside her, startling Velvet out of her thoughts. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Velvet lowered her gaze to look at the tawny brown mare. "Yeah, I am." She smiled. "Just got a lot on my mind right now."

The feathers of Nightingale's wings raised before smoothing back out. "Something up with your roommate?"

"What?" Velvet's ears perked upright and her gaze darted away in a tell-tale admission. "What gave you that idea?"

"Well, I'm just saying, like, you two are besties, so if it's on your mind you're not talking to her which means it's about her." Nightingale laughed. "Right?" When Velvet didn't respond right away, Nightingale offered, "I'll be at the bar tonight if you wanna talk."

Velvet leaned away from her. "I thought we agreed to ignore that fact?"

Nightingale shrugged and stood. "We're kinda like friends, right? What's wrong with two friends chatting?" She shrugged again. "Up to you! Just thought I'd offer. I'll be there if you wanna drop by. See ya!"

Velvet watched the mare walk away before she slumped against the wall. They had agreed to ignore the fact they both went to the same fillyfooler bar, and now Nightingale wanted to have a chat there? She sat in silence as she mulled the idea over, then finally shrugged, stood, and trotted over to an empty shower stall.

Why not? She didn't have any other plans, anyway. It couldn't hurt to have somepony to talk to, at least for one night.