• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 1,911 Views, 61 Comments

Wayward Hearts - SilverTopHat



Trixie summons a human into Equestria! But The human has other plans other than bringing her fame and glory. Come join the adventures of a lost human and his travels across this brightly colored world and discover that friends come in all sizes.

  • ...
11
 61
 1,911

Chapter 17 What Is The Color Of My Soul?

Chapter 17

What Is The Color Of My Soul?

Luna stood before me some distance away with a sour frown that marred her usual beauty.

“We thought that you were hiding, why did you think that such an act would go unnoticed?” Luna said sternly. My armor had changed, it usually was that of high end fantasy being two or even three times bigger than the person wearing it. Now it was sleek against my body but the color pattern stayed the same. “We refer, of course, to those clouds you made.”

“Oh, right. Those.” I answered getting a better look at my new area. It was a forest I never visited before. “That was to help a parched orchard. I'm not apologizing for good deeds.”

“It makes it harder for us to hide you when you expose yourself in such a way.” She retorted stamping a hoof.

“What are they going to do to me? What is Celestia going to do to me? Your entire culture can't even fathom violence, I don't feel threatened.” I countered walking around but keeping an eye on her. “I haven't even had a nightmare here yet, good job by the way if it was your doing, but I'm starting to enjoy being here. Y'know start living here.” This information was either old news or she really didn't care, well no indication to either as she just kept the same disapproving frown.

“We have no problem with that, but our sister does. Already investigators are sent to Appaloosa to figure those clouds out, they'll find you too.” Luna said as if talking to a very dense child that refuses help.

“I would be worried if I was Appaloosa, shame that I'm not. I LOVE traveling, did you know that, and I've always wanted to ride trains to new places.” I answered smugly enjoying this unintentional game of hide and go seek. “Look everything is going to be OK, now is that all or is there a story you want to tell me? I do want to know all I can around a thousand or so years ago.” I asked trying not to sound insulting.

“Maybe you should visit the Crystal Kingdom, it just revealed itself tonight.” Luna gave a huff at me and added. “Draiden would have loathed to see what humans have become, lost from harmony.” And with those words she disappeared.

“Hear that Glitterlamp! The Kingdom revealed itself! I know where we are going for a vacation!” I called out as the forest melted away and Tall human buildings rose out of the deeps becoming solid. Glitterlamp was galloping toward me laughing herself to tears.

“What?” I asked starting to catch the contagious laugh. “Why are we laughing?”

“You can stand up against powerful royalty like its nothing but a room full of angry ponies send you running! You have got some odd priorities!” Glitterlamp told me after she was all laughed out but another fit caught her when she had to explain it to me. Looking on it though, despite the fact the memory hurt, it was funny. Only a little. “So the Crystal Kingdom has been found! That's amazing news maybe I can find out my true origin!” She cried happily.

“Could be fun.” I admitted.

“Fun! Worrywart! Once were done with the amulet, lets go! I remember in Canterlot there was a set of rails going north that nopony used, I bet THAT'S the rails to the Crystal Kingdom!” Glitterlamp was beside herself with glee.

It even carried over when we woke up by the train stopping into the next station.

“Um, Michael we did wake up didn't we? Or are you playing a prank.” Glitterlamp asked me quizzically trying to read me. I followed her eyes to my left arm and it was covered in a black and gold armor with ivory markings, I hadn't even noticed in the tips of my armored fingers had claws now. The armor crawled up my arm and simply stopped existing like a computer glitch. I had to concentrate just to make it fade entirely but it resisted this time! I tried to rub the thing off flinging myself to my feet wrestling with the steel that had manifested upon my arm. I quickly looked over the rest of my body and just like my arm the sleek armor had covered patches of my body. I grabbed Fearbane and looked into its eye.

“Hey, knock it off. Get this armor off now.” I spoke sternly. The only response I could tell was something that kinda mumbled 'not my fault' at me. I looked over the armor patches and noticed that it had little straps like normal armor, it wasn't fused to my skin or anything. The armor felt real, had texture, temperature, hell it even sounded like metal when I tapped the gauntlet against the wall. Thankfully just lifting a latch and loosen a strap made the armor disintegrate but in some spaces I could barely fit my fingers in it.

The train whistle signaled its ready for departure and not even all of my armor had came off yet.

“We gotta get off! The train is about to go again!” Glitterlamp spoke with urgency as I still fumbled with the lock box like latches and straps. I stumbled and fell through the door onto the station and didn't even pay attention to anyone as I lifted the last latch on my right boot.

“OK,” I sighed outwardly relieved that I could get all of that off but having that happen made me look upon my power in a different light. “That was weird. Well first item on the list,” I said trying to act as if nothing had happened and dreading the talk with Twilight. “We need to find Twilight to see if she has the Amulet.” Getting back onto my feet a familiar voice greeted me and tackled me back onto the ground.

“You came back you really did!” A young voice filled with glee cheered. The young colt was Icecube and he was dancing a merry jig on my ribs. He was bigger now and his small childish form had grown to what might be whats considered teen-hood. “Things are getting kinda scary around here, follow me.” And with those words his joy was gone and the grim seriousness of which I knew only far to well wiped his face clean of the same joy.

“Just go with it, he was one of the first ponies that I met. And somethings off, I'll let you know when I figure it out.” I mentally sent to Glitterlamp looking around at the colorful town with a discerning eye. The town looked very much the way I left it the last time, how long ago was that?

“Was it only a few weeks ago I had arrived here?” I thought as I looked at the sparse streets but something was off. The sun was shining the fountain was still working in the center of town, posters were scattered around town, a light fog hung low to the ground, everyone looked chipper and greeted another on the street, and something smelled wonderful.

“You've been with me for about three months, have you already forgotten?” Glitterlamp informed me looking me over but something lurked behind my perception nagging me. The town was quite save for a few nervous birds singing only a note or two.

Fear.

It was the fog that hugged the ground, it poured off Icecube and every other pony that walked the streets. The smiles were false, the laughter was strained and everyone kept glancing at each other over their shoulders. They were afraid of something. But what?

Soon inside a modest house Icecube's parents immediately recognized me and seemed to relax but they had a hushed whisper, but I could make out a single word. “Password?” and the rest was spoken too softly to understand. They both looked like they had been staying up for too long, then they tensed at Glitterlamp.

“Who is she?” The father asked but the tone made it sound like a demand. Fear pulsed from him and instinctively I breathed it in reveling in the surge of power it gave me.

“Dad, he's here to help. I doubt Dreamers can be fooled with magic, they mastered magics far greater than that to be fooled by simple parlor tricks.” Icecube countered standing next to me. “He doesn't know what's going on, we should do our best to tell him. I know he can help, I can feel it.”

“Yeah, nopony else could see through a Changeling's magic better than a Dreamer. Tell us, What do you see?” The dark brown earth stallion questioned me. Better just start with the truth.

“You are afraid. That much is plain. I don't know if I can help but I seek the Alicorn Amulet,” his eyes widened at the mention of the name. “Yes, you know what I'm talking about.”

“Yes, shortly after Princess Twilight freed us from Trixie's grip she gave that accursed thing to a zebra.” He paused for a minute and after a moment the mare spoke.

“Her name is Zecora dear,” a dark eyed mare came to his aid. “She took the amulet and went into the Everfree Forest. We had to leave our home in Neighbraska since the invasion, but won't you help us?” She questioned me eagerly waiting for an answer.

“Ask, and I shall answer.” I said finally, interested and almost intoxicated by the power I was absorbing from their fear. The way I said it came out creepier then what I wanted but they seemed desperate for help.

“Well, see,” Icecube's father stammered. “Normally we would ask our mayor for help, but see, it's out of her hooves! She can't do anything about the Changelings living in our town! Nopony can't tell who's friends or neighbors anymore!” He gushed nervously shifting his feet and I could feel Glitterlamp growing uncomfortable of this conversation and where it could go.

“What my husband means, can you go through our town and expose the imposters? They are a horrid weed that needs to be plucked and thrown away. They eat love and lie to get what they want. Nopony is safe while they are around.” She finished, looking ashamed of even suggesting or admitting to her paranoia. They acted as one being, when one finished or faltered in speech the other finished the thought.

“Wait, Twilight is a Princess? Why not ask her for help?” I asked trying to take in all the information.

“All the way in Canterlot, hard to ask her from here. I don't trust the mail these days. The mail pony might be a changeling!” The mare said as if it was simple fact.

“Let me get this straight. You want me to go on a little inquisition and tell you who the imposters are?” I asked unbelieving that such a peaceful race would be using scare tactics. “And after I find them, what do you suppose I do to them?”

“Get them out of town!” The two of them answered at once.

“I can't, I mean I can't just look at someone and tell who they are. Whatever legend you heard that Humans can do that is wrong, or I'm not strong enough for that type of magic.” I said but felt like I need to do something for them. “Changelings don't eat normal food, when you are in doubt of someone. Invite them to dinner and watch their reactions. That's all I can think of, and if they're not changelings; you did a nice thing for someone.” I said trying to sound reasonable and console the disappointed faces. Icecube wasn't at all disappointed in fact his face beamed!

“Yeah! Let's start doing that! Let's get everyone doing that so maybe life will be normal again!” His enthusiasm was contagious and already he leaped out the door and began talking to people. Icecube's parents didn't seem so sure and followed after their child but the mare looked over her shoulder and spoke almost in a whisper.

“Fluttershy knows that forest best, see her if you want a guide.”

I nodded my thanks and allowed Glitterlamp to look around town to establish her uncanny sense of direction. Fearbane however had a different idea; already I could feel a pull on my soul toward a forests edge. I stood next to the fountain but the forest seemed to loom before me, calling me. Never mind the forest's edge was a considerable distance away I could almost smell the dark undergrowth.

“Dreamer! Hellooo!” Glitterlamp sung in front of me and waved a hoof in my face. “Fluttershy's house is this way.” Then she began walking in a direction. The Fear that I had eating ever since I got here was boiling within me, filling me with power and begged for a release or I would explode. I fought down the urge to display such acts of power if I couldn't control it; waking with patches of armor was one thing, I don't really want to think about what could come out. After a moment I followed after Glitterlamp as she took me even closer to the forest's edge.

The forest filled up my entire field of vision with every step I took and soon I was on a path to a small humble cottage that looked like a gathering of trees agreed to weave themselves into a house. The design looked artificial but the feeling of it all seemed way too natural. I stopped at the small, front gate that led to Fluttershy's house and waited there. Glitterlamp was better at convincing people around here to help. Animals lingered and skittered between my legs unafraid, so unlike the small critters of Earth. They lacked a fear of humans and played as if I didn't even exist, a squirrel ran up my body to get a better jump to a branch. The tiny claws scratched my skin and startled me that I swore so intensely that I earned a rebuke from Glitterlamp.

“Don't say that again.” Was the low growl of a rebuke. “We need to make a good impression if we want her to help us.”

“Right, sorry, not used to small animals not being afraid of humans is all.” I said keeping an eye on the little fuzzy bugger. Glitterlamp didn't wait for my response and walked up the short path to knock on the door. The door opened ever so slightly. Glitterlamp felt happy at first but after a few minutes of talking her mood dropped to a disappointed sadness. Glitterlamp walked back to me with her head hung low in defeat.

“She says that she's busy with a badgers birth. And she doesn't want to go in there unless she absolutely has too.” Glitterlamp told me then she started heading back to Ponyville.

“Alright, let's go anyways.” I said taking steps toward the forest's edge.

“Are you stupid?! Don't you know- wait, right. You're not afraid of dark forests. Still it's not safe to go into a forest without a guide. Let's just go back to Appaloosa, there aren't any Timber Wolves there.”

“What's wrong, why do you want to go back all of a sudden?” I thought quickly trying to find out.

“Look, going into a forest is one thing, going in without a guide is crazy!” Glitterlamp exclaimed. “There's all sorts of things in there that's just, unnatural!” She regretted those words in a moment because that peaked my interest and made me want to go in even more.

“Fearbane will guide us.” I thought confidently. “It wants this thing as much as I do. And I think you still want to see Courage's Folly don't you?”

“Yeah, but, what if,” She started several times and I could feel that she was deeply conflicted about the forest. “Do you really think we'll be OK?”

“What in Hell happened in these forests that almost everyone is terrified by them!” I mentally fumed unbelieving of Glitterlamp's sudden lack of courage. “Of course we'll be fine. Trust me.”

She nodded and came right beside me as we approached the edge.

“If she is so afraid of the forest, why is her house right next to it anyway?” I thought shaking my head.

“I have no clue.” Glitterlamp said agreeing with me.

The forest was different yet the same as the one leading to Courage's Folly. It was dark, unnaturally so, vines hung down low enough to get in my face and something felt wrong. So wrong I wondered why I didn't feel it earlier and I understood why Glitterlamp had felt earlier. Something slept within this forest, old, twisted, dark and full of malice. We haven't even found a trail that Zecroa might have even took. Out of frustration with my own wavering heart and the impending gloom of the forest I drew Fearbane from its cradle.

“Stand back.” I warned and began hacking the foliage apart to at least clear a path for us. The blows split small trees and vines equally as I moved like a wraith being driven by revenge. I didn't really know where I was going but I felt the pull; being able to work off the pent up energy was a nice plus. The forest was as if it was the middle of the night but the trees weren't woven as tightly as it should be to get that effect. The energy started to make me light headed and all I wanted was a nice even, clear, pleasant path.

When I swung down to separate the vines from my path a blinding lash of both gold and dark struck forth incinerating all that it touched. In the same instant I felt my very soul in the blast as it extended from my body and I could feel every foot of decimated dirt. I even knew that Zecora was now aware of my approach, because the path lead right to her cottage. The large tendril of Void light lingered for only a moment before slamming back into my body with tremendous force.

“Wake up! Wake up!” Glitterlamp pleaded with me. My eyes snapped open instantly fearing of what harm I might have inflicted on her when the power surged forth. “I'm alright. You just scared me is all.”

“What happened?” I asked as Glitterlamp helped me back to me shaking knees.

“Nothing, you just passed out when this beam burned us a path. You floated in the air, and you were quiet. I mean, you always make sound even when you sleep but,” she smiled and shook her head. “I don't like it being quite anymore.”

The waves of relief felt good and warm. I didn't feel like anything was broken or bleeding so I stood up steadily and looked down the carved path. No embers were left nor burn marks were evident but the smell of fire filled the forest. Critters squeaked in panic at the smell and skitter around unseen among the brush. The path looked as if the dirt had been replaced with clear, smooth glass with the sun shining down upon it making it look very inviting.

“Was I out for long?” I asked rubbing my head and spitting dirt as we walked down the path. The trees above had been incinerated as well letting daylight intrude on the dark forest but the path was wrong. The dirt had been turned into glass freezing the path in time as our feet clicked and pattered across the surface.

“Not for long at all, maybe for a minute or so?” Glitterlamp said looking down the newly created path. “I think you're waking up. You're not bleeding this time.”

“Wait, what do you mean 'waking up'? That doesn't make sense.” I asked suddenly worried that I may still be laying on the forest floor still unconscious. “Are you telling me I'm still dreaming?” I asked pleadingly.

Glitterlamp pulled out an old but well preserved book with a human and a pony gracing the cover. The book was a faded red while the figures appeared to be stamped into the material as silver.

“I borrowed this from the library in Appaloosa and it's the book with all the human tales. I can definitely see a trend, and I thought this would be a great opportunity for teaching you to read.” She laughed and put the book away. “Can't have you only reading cook books all day!” I laughed along with her and looked down the winding glass path.

“Any idea how long it will take? Doesn't even look like we're close.” I thought disappointed eagerly wanting this search to be over.

“Nope, never been here before. Gives us plenty of time to talk doesn't it?” She smiled cheerfully and took to the path at an enjoyable stroll. Funny at how such a little thing like sunlight can change an entire area. The Everfree forest didn't seem nearly as imposing and sinister but I still couldn't shake off the slumbering malice that lingered about even as weak it was now.

“According to one of the stories, The Undreaming, the little colt who couldn't sleep is comforted by Princess Luna and her Human Friend, Draiden, and plays until he falls asleep. The thing is though, Draiden always referred to himself as Draiden the Awoken. And he always was dissatisfied with his magic and used things he called 'science' to get the same results but he had a profound love for everything around him.” Glitterlamp had pulled the book out without breaking her easy stride. The book showed a picture of three figures having fun as Luna made little sparkles while Draiden pointed to the stars but the seemed to blur. “He was very interested in what lies beyond the stars and astrology. The tale went that he taught Luna how to control the moon and the importance of it. The ironic thing is; he had ridiculous amounts of magic but he didn't like using it all that much. Some say he was obsessed with knowing everything.”

She spoke clearly and with great enthusiasm but my feet hungered for a quicker pace regardless, her telling of this story helped dispel the uneasiness from the woods. The book was meant for a much younger audience but I did see how it was still relevant. Luna mentioned Draiden earlier this morning but that seemed so long ago now, so he was human too. Curiouser and curiouser.

“Draiden's favorite spell was swirling small magic sparks together for different effects. Most of The Undreaming is exploring the possibility of dreams and what they could be, or really, how dreams and magic may be the same thing. But Draiden disappeared after a while and never heard from again roughly,”

“A thousand years ago.” We finished together.

“Exactly! I think we're on to something here, and the answer may be in this book!” Glitterlamp cried excitedly flipping through the pages. “Hey, what the?” Confusion washed over my mind and I looked to the page which caused this. A page was sloppily torn out. “What a horrible thing to do!” Glitterlamp snapped the book shut.

“Pretty rotten thing to do.” I mentally agreed.

“What I was getting at is that you're not really awake, the more your dreams leak over to this world the more you wake up. So what I'm saying is, don't resist your own magic. Who tears a page out of a story book!?” She seethed stamping alongside me. Between this new story and Glitterlamp still furious about the torn page the sun began to set and the path stretched on.

“I didn't expect this trip would take this long, I didn't even pack a tent or anything like that.” I mused and looking at the waning light as darkness crept closer.

“Not that stopped you before.” Glitterlamp said looking around thoughtful.

“Wait, how did-” I paused and looked at her slyly, “right. You looked through my memories again haven't you.”

“Maybe.” Glitterlamp smiled openly back. It's true that you really need a tent, it's just nice to have one though. We broke away from the glass path in search of a descent sleeping area. A few things to look for a camping site; first, plenty of space for pitching a tent preferably not under a tree, second, enough space between you and your fire pit and fuel for the fire, usually dry, dead wood.

An hour was spent in vain trying to find a suitable space in this dense forest and everything was so green and wet! We found a dirt path leading that connected back to the glass path, or really the glass cut across the dirt. We agree to explore this path just in case that it leads to Zecora's home.

“This is kinda exciting isn't it!?” Glitterlamp beamed. “Going camping for the first time! What do you usually do when you camp?” She asked trying to hide her nervousness at the ever creeping darkness with fog rolling in to add a sinister effect to the dusk.

“Keep warm for the most part. Roasted marshmallows come to mind.” I answered and Glitter stamped her hoof.

“Oh, that would have been good about now. Is camping much like a sleep over?” She asked keeping the conversation going.

“Kinda.” I answered as a rickety bridge emerged from the fog. Age spoke for this decaying artifact of the past. Heeding to Glitterlamp's advise I let my power manifest itself giving my wings back. “Let's fly over this thing, I don't think it'll hold my weight.”

“It does look pretty old doesn't it?” She said appraising the bridge as well. Glitterlamp took one last look around checking that no one was watching and threw away her disguise. Her insect like wings that ended in several points rather than a rounded body, it was much longer since I last saw it. Her lank moss green hair shined like metal in the light and her eyes gleamed with an inner brilliance. Her eye didn't look like any other eye with her 'pupil' being only a brighter shade of mint green than the rest of her eye. Glitterlamp's body resembled a dark carapace being stiff but flexible in parts to allow movement with her legs littered with irregular holes, much like Swiss cheese. Her horn curved backwards ever so slightly and fangs extended past her lips giving her a very vampire-like look about her. Her rump was devoid of any 'cutie mark' that 'normal' ponies have. Glitterlamp's form definitely had a sense of fullness about her.

“My eyes are over here, Dreamer.” Glitterlamp teased me with that beautiful ethereal voice of hers while giving me a little shake before leaping into the air. Rusty would be being polite at describing her attempts of flight. “Shut up!” She scolded me when I chuckled. “It's harder than it looks!” I took to the air on my own wings gently floating in the air. The chasm's drop looked fatally deep and I did not want to risk a fall. Wings or no wings.

“I can fly! I know I can!” Glitterlamp cried out frustratedly barely hovering a foot or two off the ground. “Why aren't my wings long enough!”

“Worry not, dearest, I can carry you over.” I massaged her thoughts with comfort as I slipped underneath her to carry her upon my back. “Soon your wings will be strong enough to carry yourself but not today.” I assured her as I made the short distance across the chasm. Once clear of the chasm's drop I allowed her to buzz next to me as she tried to fly with me.

“I can do it!” Glitterlamp kept telling herself as I looked around trying to dispel the growing fog. The fog would be brushed back only to rush back up making my efforts seem in vain. Soon other objects began to take shape beyond the fog as we floated along.

It was another ruin.

But this one was much bigger than Courage's Folly. Where the Folly was more or less a large tower this looked like a castle.

“Where do you think we are?” Glitterlamp panted in my ear as she landed, clinging to my back.

“No idea.” I whispered at the gentle spires stretching to the sky. “But where there are ruins, there is forgotten treasure.” I smiled at her, adventure dancing in my head.

“Kinda looks like Canterlot, doesn't it?” Glitterlamp asked slowly turning her head to try to look at more of it.

“Haven't been to Canterlot so I can't say. It doesn't look like Courage's Folly at all though.” I replied looking for a place to set camp. Large crumbling courtyard would service our purpose as I deposited Glitterlamp to the ground but something felt wrong about his place. The familiar tang of Fear clung to the ground and, Regret? Hard to tell.

“What do you think happened here? And do you think anything might still be here.” Glitterlamp asked sensing my feelings.

“Hard to say, keep your wits about you. Use those magic daggers if you have to, I'll make this quick.” I said taking off for the woods. The distance wasn't far but I could feel Glitterlamp slip away from me and every passing second only made my task all the more urgent.

“Anything could happen and I wouldn't be even aware of it!” My thoughts betrayed me assaulting me with gruesome images. Fear-beasts devouring her was the first in line. “But Glitter is strong, she can defend herself. Only if she knew she was being attacked! Why did you just leave her behind like that!? Do you think that tree would do? She could be dead! Just ripped clean out of the ground and prepared at the camp? Yes.” I agreed and wrapped my tendrils around a thick tree truck. I began to fly up but jerked back like a dog on a leash. The tree must have deep roots as I strained against the weight. The strain was making my back ache but the creaking of the wood and the increasing urgency spurred me on until a deep resounding snap like boulders cracking sent me launching skyward with my prize. I don't know how long I spent looking for this tree but it took too long getting it out of the ground.

“Crap! It's green!! This won't burn easily.” I thought realizing my mistake but hurried back to Glitterlamp but slowed by the tree's weight. “How far did I go!?” I fumed as the fog didn't reveal the castle. “Please don't be lost,” I thought frantically pushing myself to go even faster. The hand on Fearbane's hilt began to ache with the death grip. Only until I could feel Glitterlamp's mental embrace did I calm down.

Confusion and worry greeted my mind as Glitterlamp responded to my condition. I landed in the middle of the courtyard, dropping the tree behind me I looked around for Glitterlamp.

“Glitter! Where are you?” I sent out like a beacon.

“OW!” Glitterlamp cried out from my right. “Think a little louder, it's not like I can't hear you or anything!”

“Sorry.” I flinched apologetically searching for her hiding place.

“Oh wow, brought a whole tree- are you all right?! You're all shaken up! Did you find something out there?” Glitterlamp emerged from the thick fog and began searching me as I searched her. “Oh, don't scare me like that! I thought something was wrong.” And with a gesture my feelings of dread and fearful thoughts were banished.

“I shouldn't have left, who knows what's lurking in this fog.” I said glaring around at the enclosing darkness, even my magic infused eyes were having difficulty piercing the shadows. “Let's get out of the open, did you find anywhere?”

“Yeah, looks like a guard's room but it has a fire place. It's weird but, you just need to see it.” Glitterlamp said and began to lead me to the place she found. I grabbed the tree with my magic and dragged it behind me.

“A whole tree.” Glitterlamp laughed at me. “I was just getting comfortable and guessing you were going to be gone for a while,” I chuckled at the situation as well feeling better in her presence, “what scared you so bad out there? You were barely gone at all.” My boots struck softly at the smooth timeworn cobblestones with moss muffling my steps.

“If you were at Courage's Folly and seen what I fought you'd be more respectful of the danger that these ruins might bring.” I said rubbing my left fore-arm bearing the full jaw line of a savage bite of a Fear-Beast. In fact all of my scars began to itch and crawl at the very thought of that battle making me more on edge. “Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude.”

“I still want to see this Courage's Folly when we're done with this whole amulet business.” Glitter reminded me sounding even more interested and possibly angry? But not directed at me.

“Yeah, it should be alright to go. Nothing's there anymore,” then I remembered I didn't fully explore the fort, “I think.” I added skeptically. The structure was in bad shape. It was a large stone rectangle that branched from the wall with rounded edges and decorative stone beams that mimicked wood. The roof had a large hole in it and moss clung to everything here. The door broke free of its hinges and shattered to tooth picks as I gave it a little push. The furniture was simple and practical with very few comfort items. Besides the door it looked like everything else was made of stone.

I could see where the fireplace was and I turned and used my tendrils to slice the tree into more manageable sections. Strange at how my magic tendrils can be both gentle as a hand and dangerous as a knife. Soon the wood was brought in and Glitterlamp picked up a piece and her eyes widened with her jaw dropping low.

“This is cherry! This is my absolute favorite wood to carve!” Glitterlamp began attacking the wood pile for choice pieces and more than once did she snatch a chunk of wood out of my hands. After a few blurring moments almost the whole tree was in her 'to save' pile and hardly anything for the fireplace. “Well, I really like this wood and, and you can't burn these pieces! Take those pieces.” She pointed her hoof at the small whimsical pile while she sat in front of her towering pile.

“We won't have enough for a fire for long.” I tried to reason.

“This is my favorite wood.” She said stubbornly.

“We'll need more wood than this.” I said trying to be patient.

“There's plenty.” She folded her arms and seemed to relax. “There are roots which you can use and there are plenty of branches. I want these pieces to carve and to decorate our plain house.” She said unmoving and determined but she made her point. I swept up the scraps closer to the fireplace and then stopped.

“I don't have anything to light this fire anyway, never mind.” I said laughing cruelly at myself sitting down in a corner digging into my back back and pull out a few vegetables to munch on them.

“Yes you do, you have your magic.” Glitterlamp suggested.

“With the luck I've been having with it, I'll light everything on fire.” I countered feeling tired and just wanted to rest. The room looked better on the inside but not by much. Instead of mortar or cement between the wall and floor bricks; moss filled the empty spaces until it looked more like moss with some bricks in it.

“No you won't,” She encouraged. “You won't get better if you don't practice or even try.” Not wanting to resist or even argue I arranged the sticks to a stacked square to let air flow through it easily. I used Fearbane to shave a stick to fine long strips to help start the fire and when everything was done I was still sitting in front of a cold pile of wood with Fearbane laid across my lap.

“Would be better if the wood was dead and dry.” I thought critically to myself. My magic still lingered about me filling my eyes with a golden radiance and emerging from my shoulder-blades as golden energy beams slowly twirling in the air. Even though I no longer even need to concentrate about this manifestation of power my mind was slowing down to a crawl. Embers flickered through my minds eye as I remembered all my other camp fires. My family flashed through my mind but it didn't hurt nearly as bad this time but my heart still stung as if a shell cracked open. Faces illuminated by the fires glow flickered in and out as my heart grew heavy but the flame was consistent.

Marshmallows, hotdogs, simple camp meals roasted filling the air with mouth watering goodness because we knew how to make the marshmallows gooey all the way through while trapping it in a crisp shell. I slowly used a tong to grab one of the burning pieces hoping to gain insight on how to cast magical fire.

“You're doing it, look!” Glitterlamp interrupted my flow of memories as a small orange flame holding on to nothing floating an inch above Fearbane's eye. As if in a trance I reached out and grabbed the small hungry flame to hold it in my hand. It didn't burn when it touched me but faded into Void black complete with golden embers stuck within.

“Whoa,” Glitterlamp breathed in starring at the strange flame. Despite being black it threw light as if it was normal. I moved slowly and dropped the flame into the center of the fire place and the Void color sank back into its core and the orange came forward. The fire didn't waste any time and began happily licking the wood as if it didn't care it was green until it grew up into a comfy blaze still holding a black core.

“See? It didn't get out of control.” Glitterlamp said patting my back. Embedded in the stone was a rusted iron rod with a hook to hang pots or cauldrons which Glitterlamp used to boil some water over the new flame. When I was focusing on the fire Glitterlamp already set up camp, blankets laid to cushion the ground, a shimmery wall occupied the doorway and roof, food was set on a stone booth built into the wall and now she set out rough silverware for me. “I really do envy you, your strong family ties. Must be nice.” Glitterlamp confided in me. “Trixie was right about you, you can be almost impossible to stop but once you get quiet, you get sad. Why?” The fact that she was here made me feel bad, here she's trying to have a nice camp out and I'm moping around like a dope. She could still be in Appaloosa recovering and safe but she came along to take care of me like a child. I smiled and tried to force the memories and emotions into the background to, hopefully, fade.

“If I stop, I, my mind starts to wander.” I said not wanting to talk.

“Oh no, hiding it will only make it worse. You're like this in public, kinda like me. You put on a mask to get through the day. I can feel it y`know.” Glitterlamp sat in front of me and forced me to look into her eyes. “With Braeburn, Sapphire, everypony and especially when your trying to act brave. I felt it the strongest at the saloon.”

“You didn't have to come.” I responded blankly, my heart aching and wanting to be alone so I could sort myself out in privacy. I didn't want myself so exposed to my own weakness so much I tried to close myself from her.

“No, maybe not but I didn't want you to go through this alone.” Glitterlamp said tenderly. “You're just like everypony else living alone, you miss your family from time to time. I've been alone almost all my life, don't push me away.” The words rung true and even deeper as if she was speaking to my painful memories.

“So why did you come?” I asked almost choking on her emotion. Or was it my own tears?

“So we wouldn't feel lonely.” She said and I couldn't resist anymore and I threw my arms out but it was Glitterlamp who came the rest of the way completing the embrace, never before have I felt like this; like my heart is bleeding, but it doesn't hurt. “ Fritter was the same way, and when I left him, he died. Please don't hide anymore.”

I've never had a friend like Glitterlamp and I was so terrified of messing it up like I've always done back on earth, so much that I convinced myself that I didn't need friends altogether. Of course being moved every summer also stunts ones social life. My family was the only thing I could depend on and the only thing that comes close in this world is Glitterlamp.

“Y`know,” I said trying to control my own voice. “I always thought you looked better as a changeling.”

Out of all the things you could say! You retar-

“Thanks.” Glitterlamp interrupting my train of thought. “That means a lot to me.” The water she had been boiling was turned into a spiced drink that tasted like apples and cinnamon which made the hard bread and sliced apples appealing. The meal was spent in silence but words were not needed when Dream Walking could tell so much more.