• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 1,911 Views, 61 Comments

Wayward Hearts - SilverTopHat



Trixie summons a human into Equestria! But The human has other plans other than bringing her fame and glory. Come join the adventures of a lost human and his travels across this brightly colored world and discover that friends come in all sizes.

  • ...
11
 61
 1,911

Chapter 11 Cupcakes and Other Lovely Snacks

Chapter 11
Cupcakes and Other Lovely Snacks

The words left me cold, like a bitter winters morning greeting. My mouth felt like I had been eating sawdust.

“Death? N-no, I can't. . .” A thousand thoughts struggled to overcome the rest and make itself known ranging from sagely advice to panicked whispers.

“No, don't look at me like that. It's fine, really.” Glitterlamp cringed a little and gave me her fanged smile. “Nopony should be sad for my passing.”

“Fritter would!” I blurted before I could think. “He would have held your funeral in secret if he had to!” I could feel my face grow warm as I stared determinately into her mint green eyes. I gathered Glitterlamp in my arms and almost fell backwards since she was much lighter than what she appeared. I gently placed her on the couch and paced around the room trying to force my brain into action.

“Fritter didn't even know who I really am!” Glitterlamp snapped at me. “I lied to him the whole time I knew him,” when the last word passed her lips realization kicked in and shook her.

“I doubt he would have cared,” I countered. “If he really cared about you.” I kicked the clutter of party ribbons and bit my lip.

“Bring up her dead boyfriend while she worries about her own death, genius.” I criticized myself sharply. I picked up a cookie with sprinkles and quickly chowed down, mostly to stop myself from talking. Glitterlamp just stared at me probably angry at me for bringing Fritter up, I know it would be a sensitive subject for me. My left hand felt slick and I looked down to my bleeding hand. I had been clenching so hard that I reopened the wound in my palm.

“Do you?” Glitterlamp asked surprisingly tender with piercing eyes.

“What?” I asked still cross with myself.

“Do you really care for me?” she asked and I found myself unable to tear away from her stare.

“Out of the peo-ponies I've met you're the first one who didn't fear me or wanted to use me for their own personal gain.” I admitted. “Trixie was nice enough but only saw me as a means to an end. As for Sapphire,” I hesitated trying to find the right words. “She was scared of me, I reminded her of some creatures that she painted over there.” I pointed to the painting. It had been framed and ready to present since I last saw it. Glitterlamp only looked at the painting only for a moment.

“I've seen it already,” Glitterlamp grinned a little propping her head on her hoof, probably enjoying watching me squirm. “And I've told you what I thought about it.” She stated waving a dismissive hoof at the painting. “But you said something about a party earlier, what are you going to use? The party that they set up for you? Seems inappropriate.”

“I don't see it that way, it was for a 'Welcome' and a 'Get Well'.” The gears in my head still producing no real solutions for her withering condition. “I'll take the 'Welcome' bit and I'm giving you the 'Get Well' part of it.” I said with false cheer. I shoved my bleeding hand into a pocket of what was denim pants, now they more resemble ragged shorts. I tried to smile but I think she see's right through me. It's hard to tell, her eyes have no pupils only a varying pool of green vibrant in the middle and darker at the edges.

“Sounds good enough but who else would attend? All of my 'friends' live in Canterlot.” Glitterlamp said sadly.

“Everyone I wanted to invite are already here. I've always preferred small crowds anyway.” I said putting on a party hat and tossing her one. “Too bad you don't have movies here.” I commented looking around at the colorful clutter. Many objects in the room seemed like party games but I had no idea how half of them played. Glitterlamp chuckled and shook her head at me.

“What's a movie?” this was the first of many questions about my world. I only hoped I had just as many answers for her.

It was not very long into our little party that I learned that I was fairly bad at their games. Thankfully Glitterlamp didn't laugh too hard at my antics and helped me learn the rules. I kept tripping over random clutter or just went to wrong way trying to pin the tail on donkey, or at least the equivalent to it. The next thing we did was take some the ribbons on the floor and other bits of clutter to weave a crown for the both of us.

Glitterlamp had found an old vinyl record player and Sapphires record collection. She popped one in and I was surprised when some form of techno come out of the metal flower that served as the speaker instead of an orchestra.

“What's this?” I asked not because I disliked the sound, it wasn't what I expected.

“DJ pon3, she's fairly new, three or five years old at best.” Glitterlamp responded reading the back of the record holder for the song list.

“This is like one half of a movie, imagine having a play being recorded like this and that is what a movie is.” I had trying to explain it earlier but the idea was just too different, so I needed a comparison.

“A play that you could just have whenever you wanted on a black mirror? You really come from a land of wonder.” Glitterlamp spoke briefly looking through Sapphire's collection. “Ah!” She gasped out loud. “I've been wanting this album for a while now! But they were always sold out! Lucky girl.” She playfully growled and put in the new record. A lovely voice emitted from the speaker followed with harmonic guitars and violins along with the deep, bombastic drums of a rock band. Symphonic metal flowed through the air as a male and female voice sang out in beautiful harmony about humans with their cities of metal and electricity. I was laughing so hard I began to cry.

“It's the opposite of where I come from,” I managed between fits of laughter. “Some bands would sing about unicorns and dragons! I can't breathe!”

The cakes both big and small was pretty good considering they were shot out of a canon. We tried playing bobbing for apples but Glitterlamp only had to barely snag the apple on a fang and it was as good as caught. I, on the other hand, managed to get both of us soaking wet as I floundered about trying to bite one of the elusive fruit!

“Are your cities really made of metal?” Glitterlamp asked while dropping a towel on the water that sloshed onto the floor.

“A little bit, mostly depends on the building. Houses mostly use wood or brick, sometimes both.” I explained enjoying her company, I was happy that she lost her gloom in the party games. “Mostly business and industrial buildings get metal sidings. OK, my turn for a question.” I bit into another cupcake, seriously there was enough to host an entire wedding!

“What was your life like before, erm, all of this?” I asked while trying not to mention the wedding. Glitterlamp wrinkled her nose as if the question was putrid and seemed saddened.

“Oh, nothing special really.” She began, kicking a discarded party hat away. “I ran a small shop across the bakery in Canterlot, the same one Fritter worked at.” She grinned at the memory. “It always smelled nice and it was busy enough to support my shop. I sold little figurines and other pretty nick-knacks,” she straitened up and smiled proudly. “The Floating Leaf was the name of the shop. I could take a block of wood and make a flower out of it,” to show her skill she levitated a yellow napkin slowly and shaped it into a flower tearing here then folding there. With eyes lost in the past she sat the incredibly realistic rose down on the table and sighed. “Of course there were complications to my little shop. A few individuals says something bad and nobody visits long enough to put a hurt on finances. Or the materials got handled carelessly and I couldn't make anything till the next batch came in.” Glitterlamp snorted and bopped a balloon upwards. “To put it in a few words? Comfortable, hungry and even though I saw people often it still was, lonely y`know?”

I picked up the flower and twirled it thoughtfully between my fingers. I ran out of milk a while ago but I had demolished most of the pastries in the process.

“Is Canterlot the capital?” I asked setting the flower back to the table.

“Yes, it's really pretty there but a lot of stuck up ponies that live there as well.” Glitterlamp said evenly. “But it was home, gotta, uh, had to live with it. I wonder what they'll do with the shop now.” She slouched a little at the thought then seemed to perk up. “Ah, it was going under anyway.”

“Sorry to hear that, sounded like a pretty good life all things considered.” I shrugged not really knowing what to say.

“OK your turn! What was your life like? And don't leave any details out.” She smiled mischievously. I sat back collecting my thoughts and trying to split my memories apart from recent events.

“Well, I was trying to figure what to do with my life. I lived with the rest of my family and was pretty happy with it all. Just before getting zapped here I was going to visit one of the people I went to school with and play video games.” I started realizing that my tale would be less interesting. I didn't own my own business or have anything really cool like that, hopefully she'll find it entertaining at least. “I go camping in the summer now and then.” I said losing confidence with each word.

“I guess camping is the most exciting thing I do.” I thought scornfully at my lack of ambition.

“Ah c'mon! That can't be everything!” Glitterlamp protested suddenly. “What about the thing you do with the light! Or how you fought the Timber wolves! Just tell me anything even if you see it as boring!” She asked rapidly. It was hard to tell if she was demanding or pleading with me.

“It's called swordsmanship on Earth,” I said remembering my neglected hobby and trying to keep track of her questions. “Wolves usually stay away from humans, most animals do actually.” I mused. “I don't really know how I do the 'light thing' but I think that's Fearbane's power. Magic isn't present on Earth, we only have our technology.” I explained unsure of my answers. “Sadly I have none with me.” I mumbled apologetically. “Let's make this easier on us, I am apparently a mythical creature in this world. Tell me what I'm supposed to be like and I'll tell you if it's wrong or not.”

Glitterlamp looked excited and baffled at the same time. I could see the gears working in her head as she undoubtedly arranged her questions.

“Well, there's so many rumors and legends that nopony is actually sure what a human is like. I've heard that their boundless curiosity often gets them into trouble, or that they are really dull and reclusive.” Glitterlamp started. “The most common theme amongst the legends is that where ever a human goes, change follows in their steps.” Glitterlamp looked at me and smiled widely. “You've sure changed my life. I wonder how many other lives you've touched already?” She gave me a wry look and sat down on the couch emitting am unladylike fart. Glitterlamp flushed heavily as she plunged her hoof under neath the seat to pull up a whoopee cushion. “How did this horrid thing get there!?” She threw the offending object across the room only to miss the waste basket by an inch.

“Hey don't worry, it was just some pranksters toy. Relax,” I couldn't resist grinning at the prank but her over reaction was priceless but I tried to soothe her regardless. “You were saying how humans might've caused changes, like what kind of changes.”

“I've read that they were the ones that taught Princess Celestia and Princess Luna how the sun and moon worked, I've also heard one taught Luna how to dive into dreams as a show of affection.” The last part almost came out as a whisper. “Seeing how you went into my memories, I can easily see how Princess Luna learned how to dive into dreams.”

“Huh, so humans used to live here. Why were these worlds were separated and how.”

“But Princess Celestia discredits the existence of humans calling them 'mere stories' but seeing you shows that She is hiding something.” Glitterlamp nodded sagely. A clock chimed distantly and both of us counted the chimes. Five. . . six. . . seven. . . eight.

Whoa! Eight o` clock already? I looked back over to the pastries, had I been eating sweets all day? I still had at least a medium sized cake left and a couple sheets of cookies, cupcakes, and some other sugary treat that I didn't know the name of.

“Times flies when your with good company.” I smiled to myself twisting my neck releasing more pops than usual. Both Glitterlamp and I flinched at the sound.

“Why do you do that?” Glitterlamp asked me rubbing her neck in sympathy.

“It's just a habit,” I shrugged nonchalantly.

“Well stop it, I thought your head was going to come off!” She said worriedly.

“I'll try.” I responded.

“So,” she put her hoof over her mouth as she yawned. “What are we doing tomorrow?” the question had been hanging out in the back of my mind but I didn't have an answer. I still had that debt to the hospital, I should be looking into that place that the kids on the scooter said. What was it called? Some sort of fruit. Pear? Water-no. Applecake? No but sounded close. I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate.

“What's a matter?” Glitterlamp pestered me.

“Appaloosa.” I finally remembered whispering the word out trying to get it to stick.

“Appaloosa? Oh you mean that little frontier town south of here? I've heard they had a bit of trouble with the locals but it cleared up almost as fast as it started.” She commented then looked at me raising an eyebrow. “Why? Are we going there tomorrow?” I rubbed my eyes growing more cross with myself for even landing myself in this situation.

“I owe the hospital over in Ponyville a hundred-fifty bits. I'm hoping I can find a job there, heard they were needing the help pretty bad. I doubt anypony around here would want to hire me? Even if I did know who to talk to I don't know if it'll work.” I said losing the happy feeling I had earlier.

“I know that they're the talk of some circles in Canterlot. There was quite the investment to that little town last I checked. Might be good but why travel all that way?” Glitterlamp looked confused. I laughed a little trying to dispel my bad feelings.

“It's not like I belong here or anything!” I said sarcastically while playfully ruffling her mane and walked around the room throwing away the empty milk carton into the waste bin, she didn't look so amused. “Anyway, I wanted to see Trixie again. Tell her my thanks and what not before going to Appaloosa.”

“You could leave a note.” Glitterlamp offered stiffly.

“Nah, I'd rather say it to her in person. But it might come to that.” I admitted. I felt tired and worn out with no idea how to get to Appaloosa. “Do you know how to get to Appaloosa?” I asked.

“Everything's connected by train one way or another.” She yawned widely and stretched lazily on the couch.

“All of her teeth except her fangs are flat.” I noted.

“This was pretty fun, we should do this more often. Hey where y`going?” she asked when I was going out of the room. I grinned thinking of the crazy cupcake filled day and how much fun we had.

“The couch is great and all but I want to sleep on a bed this time around.” I rubbed my eyes but the creeping haze still persisted in my eyes. I immediately hit my head on the archway for the stairs and had to stoop into the stairway. Thankfully the first door of three I went into had a bed.

The very sight of the bed reminded me how much we goofed around with our silly antics. Even though this probably was Sapphire's bed I didn't care and fell unceremoniously into the sheets. The room smelled like soap and not the pleasant kind either while the sheets sorta smelled like flowers. Even though I wanted to sleep my brain would not shut the hell up.

“Those ponies earlier, they only came to apologize for their siblings accident.”

“And the pink monster pointed a cannon at me, remember?”

The argument continued on like this and not even time's hourglass could speed it up. In fact I think it slowed down to listen in.

“What of Trixie? Will you really say good bye? Will you really let her look for the Alicorn Amulet on her own?”

“Shut up, I'm not Trixie's keeper.” I snarled into my pillow. “I'll just tell her to contact me before actually getting the amulet.”

My mind buzzed like this long after I stopped talking and I couldn't sleep. Appaloosa still weighed heavily on my mind as well as that debt. Even though this culture seems very peaceful and helpful I really don't want to see what enforces this country's laws. Why can't I ever sleep peacefully anymore? Oh, socks to it all. I'll get used to it, what doesn't kill you is gonna die. . . right? Things will, hopefully, be better in the morning.


Drifting around weightlessly within my void has never felt so relaxing. The stars and streams of colored light bending lazily confused me but made an excellent addition. I sighed and pondered what my next move should be. A comfy chair materialized beneath me as I contemplated my situation. I felt guilty for finishing off Sapphire's milk to which I'm incapable of paying back or replacing. And throwing a party without Trixie and yet, I really shouldn't care. I always do this to myself. I get confused to what is considered a friend or an acquaintance, or I read the wrong messages or miss them entirely!

“I don't think you've met the right friends.” Glitterlamp said suddenly buzzing upside down in front of me. “One of the things I like about this is that I get my wings back for a while.” She stretched lazily about. A spark of annoyance flared up within me.

“What are you doing in my head? Wasn't it bad enough last time!?” I demanded keeping an eye on the buzzing changeling. She smirked and buzzed right up to me with a glimmer in her eyes.

“Can you show me what your world looks like?” she asked with a wide hopeful smile. I snarled smoke emitting from my ears.

“Why are you here?” I demanded again.

“Do I have to have an answer? It just feels so good here. I don't even feel sore anymore!” She cheered happily twisting in the air with reckless abandon. “I know I snapped at you this morning, K. It scared me at first but since your here, what can go wrong?”

“Plenty of things go wrong all the time.” I countered quietly. I was more relieved that she felt comfortable in what passes as a dream here. But was she even real or am I just dreaming up Glitterlamp to say these things. I slumped into my chair rubbing my head bitterly.

“I am real, silly, I think we already had this conversation today.” She said cheerfully then became concerned. “What's bugging you? You were much more cheerful earlier.” She commented landing on my lap to hold my face in her perforated hooves. “What's wrong?”

“Common life problems I suppose.” I grumbled. “Debts, food, housing, common things.” She messed up my hair and smiled.

“You already have plans going to Appaloosa, remember? So why continue worrying about it? C`mon, show me your world you didn't explain it all that well.” The changeling asked getting excited.

“Look who's talking.” I playfully countered.

“Yeah, speaking of talking, could you use your mouth to talk? It's kinda weird hearing your voice all around me.” Glitterlamp asked me.

“Nah, I like how I sound here.” I grinned as buildings erupted from the shadows, the colored light dragged into one spot in the sky. The chaotic mass of dreams swirled around me as I tried to construct a town from memory. Sound wasn't common here and the first few moments of sound was not pleasant in the slightest. Shapes were next, the dream stuff twisted and morphed into textures with solid mass in them.

Houses lined the paved street and the advertisement sign of various fast food joints could be seen not too far away. Cars gleamed in the driveways and at the curbs while the wind blew gently across me face with the unpleasant smell of industry. Glitterlamp clung to me during the rage of the construction but now the town was being unfurled as if a picnic sheet.

“Could you have at least given me a warning before you did all this!” Glitterlamp yelled at me kicking off of me and into the air. “You scared me half to death!” I laughed freely savoring her reaction.

“Making something out of nothing is hard to do.” I explained chuckling a little. “Well, here we are. I used to live here a long time ago, the name escapes me though.” Glitterlamp still looked sore at me but seemed content at buzzing around the different houses and cars. I followed her as she made different discoveries and asked me questions on everything. What a car was, why were there all these black lines connecting to houses, why the stone of the road was smooth, does everypony build their houses only with straight edges?

Although after a while she seemed rather distraught trying to find something.

“Where is everypony else?” she asked looking around. “Feels like a ghost town.” I shrugged and we walked down the street.

“This is a distant memory, I don't remember everything.” I commented I shifted us to the top of the Statue of Liberty I once saw in a post card. Glitterlamp zipped back to me when the world blurred and shifted.

“A warning would be nice!” She growled at me.

“When the world changes at the speed of thought, just let yourself flow with the moment.” I waved my hand in the air and a bouquet of flowers appeared. Glitterlamp was in awe at the sight of the distant city and the statue. “Don't go too far! I've never been here before! I've only seen pictures of this city.” I called out when she flew out. A rope wrapped around her middle and pulled her back to me.

“OK,” she pouted. “Let's go somewhere you have been then.” her face lit up suddenly. “Could I see your family?” she asked hopefully. My eyes widened and the world quickly slammed violently into my bedroom again. The sound of mourning could be heard in the next room with Fearbane leaning next to the door frame.

“No, no, no please ask for anything else! I don't want to be here!” I pleaded with Glitterlamp but she already went out the door. I picked up Fearbane and quickly followed after her. The sight of my mourning family exactly how I left them repelled me like a shield. Glitterlamp had turned the picture around and calmly looked to each of their faces. I couldn't formulate any clear thoughts to speak. Sorrow, regret, pain, and longing could be felt as clearly as the air in my lungs. I was stuck again I knew touching them was pointless and already I could hear the hoarse cackle from down below gaining strength.

Glitterlamp put the portrait face down on the table and turned to me with a few tears in her eyes.

“I am really jealous of you, if only my mom loved me even a fraction of this.” She admitted then buzzed up to give me a hug. I slammed my eyes shut and we were drifting weightlessly in the void again. “You really had it pretty good you know.” She talked gently in my ear. “I can feel how much you miss them. Sorry for bringing up that memory.”

“Not a memory, a nightmare.” I stated clutching Glitterlamp tightly trying to shake off the nightmare. “Hold on,” I said gripping her as I shifted into a safer memory of a campsite. The crying still carried over to this place though, making me feel heavy. Glitterlamp squeezed my neck a little reminding me or her presence.

“If you need to talk, talk I'll listen.” She offered. I teleported next to the burning campfire tossing a few branches in.

“I'll get over it.” I said watching the fire burn. Glitterlamp jumped at the sudden action but came over to sit next to me. “Are you feeling any better? Or do you still feel like your going to die?” I asked bluntly. She gave me a playful shove and laughed a little bit.

“I said this place makes me feel better but I'll tell you when we wake up.” She smiled broadly. I've enjoyed her company despite how brief it was and having her wither in front of me weighed heavily on me. Sensing my worry she leaned over to comfort me.

“Worry wart, everything will be fine. So cheer up.” She said with her wide smile.

“Watching a friend wither to death before your eyes is not comforting.” I frowned back.

“Worry wart.” She repeated. “Could you take us to a quite place in your world?” The request was simple and I knew just the memory. The world shifted one last time until we sat in front of a decorative water fountain. This fountain was my favorite as a kid, every now and then it would squirt water in a pattern and change color. The bustle of the city and road was present but so far off, almost like a calm bubble. I put an arm around Glitterlamp feeling the slow rise and fall of her breathing, the methodical beat of her heart throbbing near mine. I wish the whole 'time stood still arm in arm' was true because it ended a lot sooner then what I would've like.

I opened my eyes and was fore-head to fore-head with Glitterlamp with her horn resting on my brow. I could feel my face burning up and it itched just under my eyes. I could still feel her heart beat and the heat that radiated from it. She smiled dreamily at my wide eyes and snuggled against me just a little more.

“Good morning, Dreamer.” She greeted me.

“W-what?” I managed to ask.

“Another name for humans in stories, usually for their impossible ideas. Fillies and foals are called that when they are staring into space. I guess I forgot to tell you that.” She answered.

“Sounds like daydream- oh I get it. Dreamers, cute.” I thought. Glitterlamp nodded her head.

“How are you feeling?” I asked trying to calm myself down after the initial shock.

“I guess I'm a pretty heavy sleeper.” I realized.

“I'm feeling much better, Dreamer, I'd be just as a heavy of sleeper if my mind never shut down.” She said half jokingly. “Hope you didn't mind, it got cold down there.”

“Nah, not really. Just warn me I guess.” I mumbled out.

“What? When we first met you practically cradled me in a forest and your embarrassed to do the same in a house? Silly.” She chuckled at me.

“T-that was different! I was sharing warmth for survival!” I protested.

“It got cold down there.” She repeated smugly. “And you're warm. Same thing.” I wanted to protest further but not that much. I rubbed her shoulder and relaxed since she was feeling better and a weight lifted off my shoulders, even if for a while. “It's OK if I call you that, right? Dreamer?” She asked quietly.

“Yeah, Dreamer, sounds pretty good for a nickname.” I thought feeling rather giddy being gifted with a nickname.

“I'm glad to hear it.” She rubbed her nose on mine. Their form of a kiss? I had no idea. But what made me look at her strangely was that I didn't say I was okay with it.