• Published 26th Feb 2015
  • 384 Views, 6 Comments

The Brightest Star in Her Sky - Muddy Waters



On the day of the Summer Sun Solstice a filly seizes her chance to meet her idol, the imposing Princess Luna, and ask for one small favour; a brighter night to share with her father.

  • ...
0
 6
 384

Chapter Five

Canterlot glowed so brightly against the mountain it rested on that Smoky watched it approach for over an hour. It grew from a speck the size of a firefly to a fully-fledged city as she flew steadily through the cool darkness that covered the rest of the land. A satisfying ache pulsed in her shoulders and wings with each beat. After such a long flight she was glad to touch her hooves to solid ground outside the castle doors, even if it meant immersing herself in the bright lights that surrounded it and lined its halls. She bowed her head slightly to hide her sensitive eyes behind her long fringe before trotting up the steps and approaching the guards.

The unicorn on the left nodded in greeting and opened his half of the massive door with his yellow magic, saying, “Princess Celestia asked that you see her as soon as you arrived.”

Smoky paused on the threshold. “Did she say why?”

“She was too busy to spare us that information.”

“Of course, sorry,”

She smiled an apology as she began moving again. The door banged softly as it closed behind her. The halls were empty except for her hoof steps and the occasional guard nodding at his post. She exchanged nods with each one that acknowledged her and spoke only to ask where to find the princess. They directed her to Celestia’s private quarters and when she arrived the guards there let her in immediately, despite the late hour.

Celestia didn’t look up from her paperwork when Smoky stepped into her study. The princess lifted a bundle of letters tied with silver ribbon off a pile by her side and spoke before Smoky had a chance to greet her.

“My sister left for the palace the day before last,” she said shortly, “take these with you, please.”

The letters floated across the wide room between them and pushed themselves into the saddle bag hanging against Smoky’s right side. There wasn’t much room in the bag, but Celestia forced them in anyway.

“As you wish, princess,” Smoky replied, “is that all you require?”

“Yes, thank you,”

The pegasus bowed low, her fringe still guarding her eyes against the light that suffused the castle, and backed out of the room. The guards had almost closed the doors behind her when Celestia got suddenly to her hooves and called out after them. The unicorn that had been closing the door threw it back open immediately, wincing when it slammed against the wall. The princess looked as if she took no notice.

“Forgive me, Smoky,” Celestia sighed, “there is more.”

She cast a look at the guards and waited while they obediently trotted away down the hall. Once they were gone the princess looked down at the pegasus and said nothing while Smoky stared resolutely at the floor. It wasn’t until Smoky dared to glance up through a part in her fringe that Celestia finally spoke.

“I know Luna cares for you.”

Smoky could think of nothing to say in response, so she only waited while the princess gathered her words and continued.

“I dislike needing to ask anyone for assistance in a personal matter, but I feel as though I have run out of options.” Celestia glanced away. Smoky couldn’t believe her eyes. She had never seen the princess so uncertain. “My sister will not respond to me. We argued. I fear she has taken herself away into the Everfree Forest and skirted her duties.” The princess glanced over her shoulder, back into her study. “She was late raising the moon tonight. I fear she may be punishing the ponies to get at me. You must talk to her for me.”

In the quiet that followed Celestia’s confession Smoky took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a second. The lights burned even through her eyelids.

“Princess,” she began slowly, “I cannot guarantee I can find Luna if she does not want to be found, but I will do my best.”

“Thank you,”

Celestia took a step back toward her room, paused again, and inclined her head ever so slightly toward the young pegasus. Her horn glowed for a moment and Smoky felt the saddle bag shift on her right side as the bundle of letters readjusted their position.

“My sister was right to take you on as a student,” Celestia said softly, “I’m sorry I’m so often short with you.”

Smoky bowed low. “I would not dream of holding it against you. I know your position is a stressful one, and arguing with your sister cannot be helping. I will do everything in my power to help fix whatever problem has caused your argument.”

“Thank you.”

Smoky waited until Celestia had closed the doors before straightening up and shaking her head slowly. This wasn’t the first fight the sisters had had, but it was the first time Celestia had directly asked for help. She turned to start back down the hallway. As she walked slowly across the marble floor she thought hard about all the possible places in the Everfree Forest that Luna could have hidden herself away. Luna had introduced her student to many of them, but Smoky suspected there were still several that were known only to her mentor. Her only option would be to investigate each of them in turn. The prospect wasn’t appealing. If she was forced to visit all of them she would still be searching after sunrise.

Smoky stretched her aching wings as she stepped out of the castle and looked up, past the towers and the lights, to where the moon hung full and heavy in the sky. Only a little more than half the night had passed already. If she was going to find Luna she still had five hours to do so before Celestia’s sun blinded her.

She took a last breath of warm, grass scented air and then leapt skyward, beating her wings hard against the grasp of gravity. She felt the guards watching her until she turned away and left the city and its light behind. The night closed in on her again, embraced her. She shook the hair out of her eyes and breathed the sweet, chilly air in deep. Below her the countryside rolled away in silvery waves, lit here and there by distant towns and lonely farmsteads. The only truly dark spot was the Everfree forest, with the palace glowing dimly in its embrace.

Smoky flew low over the trees when she reached the forest. The breeze that held her up ruffled the leaves with gentle fingers and brought with it the sweet smell of fruits, flowers and wet grass. She would have liked to take her time and enjoy the peace of it. She didn’t often have time for herself, especially in such a lovely place.

The first, and closest, hiding place Smoky arrived at was a rocky clearing with a bubbling pond and no sign of the princess. The second was a sparely wooded hill overlooking a flower-studded valley, and still no sign of the princess. The third and fourth were the same. By then Smoky was only a few minutes flight from the palace. She turned away from her search to visit it, just in case the guards there knew anything about Luna’s whereabouts.

The lights in and around the palace burned low and gentle, as was common when the princess of the moon resided there without her sister. Normally there would also be some activity in the grounds, small groups of ponies dragging their heels through the gardens or chatting while they gazed at the stars. There were none when Smoky arrived. Instead the few dozen ponies who lived in the palace were gathered in the main courtyard in a nervous crowd while the guards stood uncomfortably on the steps.

Smoky glided down in a long curve, making sure she was spotted before she landed just in case they were scared of an attack. One of the guards, a unicorn she recognised because of his lemon yellow coat, jumped down the steps and ran to greet her. The sight of the worry in his eyes caused a jolt of fear to spear Smoky’s heart.

“Wisp, what happened?” she asked before he had a chance to speak, “Is Luna all right?”

The unicorn shook his head and reached up to push off his helmet. It clattered onto the flagstones and he rubbed the sweat off his forehead. He tried to grin at her and failed as his aqua eyes darted past her to the crowd. “She’s fine, as far as we can tell. We didn’t even know she was coming until she showed up this morning and started ordering everyone out.”

Smoky glanced at the ponies behind her as well and was confused to find that many of them had backed away. She couldn’t believe the fear she was seeing in their eyes. She knew most of these ponies by name, and they all knew her by reputation at least. How could they be afraid of her?

Wisp Light took her attention back to him with a touch on her shoulder. His magic lifted his helmet onto his head as he spoke. “They still can’t get over our new armour.” He glanced down at himself and shuddered slightly. “Honestly, neither can we,”

“Your armour?” Smoky looked down at it and realised with surprise that she hadn’t even noticed it was purple and silver, as opposed to the usual gold.

He rolled his eyes at her. “Squint, Smoky,”

She did as he suggested, and all the breath went out of her in one gasp. Instead of seeing a plain white stallion through her eyelashes she instead found herself face to face with a grey bat pony with purple wings and slitted yellow eyes. There was no confusion in her mind then about what the ponies in the crowd were frightened of. When she turned her adjusted sight on the other guards on the steps she saw yet more bat ponies shifting uncomfortably in their new armour.

“Luna changed the enchantments almost as soon as she arrived,” Wisp explained, “She said her royal guard should look more the part.”

Smoky glanced again at the ponies nearby and stepped closer to him. With her eyes wide open she was able to see him clearly again, although the image of how he and the other guards appeared to everyone else still hovered in the back of her mind. She lowered her voice almost to a whisper. “Celestia said she and Luna fought. Do you know what happened?”

Wisp looked up the palace behind him. “We sent a message to Canterlot, but they didn’t say anything about a fight.” He met her gaze again and placed his hoof on her shoulder. “Smoky, can you talk to her? We’ve been told not to let anyone in, but I’m sure Luna wouldn’t mind if it was you.”

“I already promised Celestia I would.”

They shared a rueful smile and then began the long walk up the steps. The guards stepped aside with clear relief on their faces. Smoky received several well wishes and encouraging words until the doors opened and she was ushered inside. Wisp walked in with her only as far as the main staircase.

“The last we knew she was in the throne room,” he said quietly, “If you need us, the pegasi are doing laps. Just shout out and we’ll come running.”

Smoky stared at him. “Please don’t suggest that might be necessary.”

He blanched, stumbled over a retraction, and quickly gave up. With his head hanging low he retreated back into the outside world and the safety of his fellow guards. The doors slammed behind him, and then cracked back open just a little.

Smoky started up the staircase at a trot. The sound of her hooves on the marble echoed back to her a dozen times over. When she reached the top and walked through the reception to the throne room beyond she found no sign of the princess, although there was a pile of discarded golden armour in one corner. Smoky moved on to check Luna’s private quarters, but couldn’t find her there either. She was starting to worry when she remembered the observatory. It was a long walk up the staircase, but when she finally reached the top she was rewarded with the sight of the princess sitting silently on the viewing platform.

Luna was wrapped in a dark cloak and staring out over the forest. The echo of Smoky’s footsteps didn’t cause her to stir until the pegasus was directly behind her.

“Princess?” Smoky said softly, “is this a bad time?”

Luna sighed gently and turned her face away. “So the guards let you up,”

“They’re worried.”

Smoky crept closer when the princess didn’t reply and tentatively sat down beside her. The view of the forest was gorgeous from this platform. Many of the trees nearby were filled with nocturnal flowers, and a river running through a nearby gorge suffused the area with the lively song of its passage. Fireflies played in and around reeds growing in a pond below the viewing platform. Somewhere in the darkness wolves called to each other.

“Celestia told me you argued,” Smoky admitted after a lengthy silence, “though she didn’t say what about.”

Luna turned to look at her finally, one eyebrow raised. “Is that what she called it?”

Smoky wasn’t sure how to reply. Fortunately for her, Luna didn’t seem to expect an answer.

“I have been alive a long time,” she began bitterly, “and of all the ponies I have met, you belong to a very small group that cares anything for the beauty of my night. My sister enjoys the love and adoration of all while I am ignored.”

“Everyone must sleep,” Smoky reminded her softly, “even you. No pony is trying to insult you. It’s just how we are.”

Luna turned on her with an expression as dark as her night. “That excuses nothing. They celebrate the day and the rising of the sun while ignoring me. They show me no respect.” Her eyes flashed as she jumped to her hooves. “Even you no longer refer to me with the proper titles.”

Smoky flinched away, but there was nowhere to go. The princess was leaning over her with fury in her eyes and a dark glow wrapped around her horn. Despite her better judgement she couldn’t help but whisper, “I thought we were friends,”

Luna reared back and looked about to shout. She pulled up short, however. Her gaze seemed to have become stuck on something. For several long moments she only stood and stared as the anger fell slowly away. Crouched at the princess’ hooves Smoky twisted as subtly as she could manage until she was looking in the same direction. It took her only a few seconds to spot Wisp Light. He was standing on the roof of the observatory, flanked by two pegasi, holding a broken weathervane with his magic. The polished steel tip was pointed straight at Luna.

Realising that the princess, her student, and the other two guards were all staring at him, Wisp stumbled backwards with a start and released his impromptu weapon. The broken weathervane struck the roof with a resounding clang and bounced off. It crash-landed in a bush somewhere below, startling an owl that rose screaming into the night.

Wisp’s voice broke as he called down to the viewing platform, “Are you alright?”

Luna shook herself out of her stupor. “What are you doing up there? And why did you break my favourite weathervane?”

The question seemed to be too much for him. When the princess turned to the pegasi they backed away and tried to hide behind Wisp. Smoky took the chance to clamber to her hooves and take a few steps toward the railing. Luna glanced at her.

“Smoky,” she said, frowning, “did you bring my mail?”

“Yes, princess,” Smoky replied.

She unclipped her saddle bags, let them slip to the floor and then pulled out the stack of letters Celestia had given her. They flew away from her in the grip of Luna’s magic. While the princess inspected and sorted them Smoky turned her gaze back to the roof and caught Wisp holding a whispered conference with the other guards. He met her eyes and mouthed his question again. She shook her head in reply, but waved away his concern before he could embarrass himself more in front of the princess.

“How was my sister?” Luna asked without looking up from the letters.

“She was concerned that the moon was late to rise,” Smoky replied carefully.

“Oh, yes, I should send an apology. I was just so busy today.”

“Is there anything else you need from me?”

Luna looked up from the letter she had been reading, frowning once more. “I suppose, but I want to hear your report as soon as you’re rested.”

“Thank you, princess,”

Smoky picked up her saddle bags without bothering to put it back on properly before leaping off the viewing platform. Her wings trembled as she glided down to the garden. All the strength that had carried her through the night was gone. Even her legs protested the thought of walking through the palace halls to her room. Only leftover adrenaline kept her moving.

Wisp Light caught up to her just as she was about to re-enter the palace. The pegasi that had carried him up to the roof deposited him on the grass with little effort. They didn’t stick around long enough to be thanked.

“I’m so sorry,” Wisp said as soon as they were gone, “I should never have let you go up there.”

Smoky sighed as she leant against him, as if mere contact could share their strength. “Someone had to talk her down. I just didn’t do well enough.”

“Don’t say that, Smoky,”

Without asking for permission he lifted her saddle bags onto his back and then opened the door so they could head inside. They walked side by side, so close her feathers brushed his shoulder with every step.

“We should tell Celestia,” Wisp said suddenly, halfway up a staircase.

Smoky slowly shook her head. “How do you know she won’t make it worse?”

“How do you know she will?”

She stopped walking, one foot on the landing. He stopped a second later. Quietly, almost too low for him to hear, she implored him, “Please, just trust me on this, Wisp. Every mention of Celestia just makes her angrier when she’s in that mood. Haven’t you ever wondered why the last captain of the guard left the way he did?”

Author's Note:

Only one or two more chapters after this one.