• Published 8th May 2012
  • 14,052 Views, 1,065 Comments

Millennium Wake: Part 1 - Chaotic Dreams



What happens after a certain pony awakes from a magical slumber after a thousand years?

  • ...
34
 1,065
 14,052

Chapter 12

Chapter 12

“Now,” Megan announced, spinning on her heels to face an understandably shocked Rarity as Firefly remained frozen in mid-air. “You seem to be the one in charge here. What will I have to pay you to not tip me off to The ULE government? I mean, it’s not like they could actually catch me if they tried, but if anyone knew I was out of the compounds, then the human government would be all over me. And they can actually do things.”

“…What?” Rarity finally blurted, completely at a loss as to what was going on.

“We humans arrived here fifty years ago,” Megan explained patiently. “I’m not sure how you don’t know that, but I can tell by the look in your eyes that this is all new for you. So I’ll start at the beginning. Like little miss frozen-in-time over there said, we came from somewhere else. I would tell you where, but it’s a rather complicated concept that would take too long to explain. But we are here now, and we’ve been offering to trade with The ULE ever since we arrived. For whatever reason, though, your government asked us not to interact with the general public until they had come to a decision on whether or not our goods were ‘safe for this world.’ It wasn’t as if your world’s OWN goods were exactly good for it, but we humans made a charter long ago not to interact with other sentient beings unless they wanted to interact with us. Thus, we’ve been waiting in those walled compounds ever since.

“However, I’m quite young by human standards,” Megan went on. “The human elders think that that makes me immature, and they’re right. Being immature and thus having a predisposition to experiencing difficulty with authority and compliant confinement, I broke all the laws of your world, and the place that we humans came from, to explore The ULE. Therefore, I would be ever so appreciative if you didn’t let anypony or any human know I was here. Any questions?”

Rarity was silent for a moment, her eyes scanning up and down the human’s figure.

“Why doesn’t Firefly think you can be trusted?” she inquired at last. If she was going to act on the presence of this “human” one way or the other, she wanted more information before making any decisions.

“Good question.” Megan shrugged. “In our travels, we humans have learned that when other sentient beings face prolonged yet subtle exposure to us, they usually come up with rumors built on the fear of the alien and the unfamiliar. Some of it’s that, but when we arrived in The ULE, the ponies already seemed to have a fear of us despite never having actually encountered us.”

Now that didn’t make sense. Why would The ULE be afraid of something they’d never encountered? If Equestrian lore had held well-known tales of dangerous two-legged beings with strange non-magical powers, then it would be a different story. But Rarity hadn’t imagined a being like a human was even POSSIBLE before encountering one herself, much less heard tales of them. Such tales developing in the millennium of her absence seemed like too unlikely a coincidence. Sure, one human was strange enough, not to mention what a whole herd of them must’ve been like. But what could’ve prompted a fear of the humans before The ULE even knew they existed?

Then again, Megan might be making this all up. Maybe it had been common knowledge for centuries that humans were dangerous and this one was just playing upon the fact that Rarity didn’t know the truth behind them.

But that explanation didn’t make sense either. Megan had no need to lie; she had already proven she could easily incapacitate the ponies with a snap of her whatever-they-were. Disposing of them after they’d been frozen in time would’ve been so easy, yet Megan was trying to ask them not to alert the authorities rather than resorting to anything unpleasant. She was performing an act of trust with beings she’d just met whose intentions she did not know.

A being that trusted in the good nature of other sentient creatures when, by its own admission, her own race had not been received warmly by Rarity’s, didn’t strike the white unicorn as the kind of being that was truly dangerous. Either that, or this human was the most clever and manipulative creature Rarity had ever met, playing off her naivety for some unseen purpose. Rarity tried to think of what that purpose could be, but could think of nothing, and so concluded that for the time being it was safe to assume Megan was telling the truth.

“You don’t have to do anything for us,” Rarity responded at long last. “So long as you really are just exploring, I see no reason to report you to anypony. Though we were hoping that you had something we… I… wanted.”

“And what would that be?” Megan wondered. “Looking for some of those human goods I was talking about? I don’t have much, but—”

“No, not that,” Rarity interjected. “We have reason to believe you have a Disk, a magical message-player, which I’ve been searching for.”

“That round black thing that looks like an old record?” Megan raised an eyebrow suspiciously. “How did you know I had that?”

“We didn’t know who had it,” Rarity assured. “I’ve simply been using a locator spell to pinpoint the Disk’s location.”

“Oh,” Megan sighed with relief. “For a second there I thought you might have somehow been following me. Well, if you want the Disk, it’s yours, so long as you keep quiet about me being out here. I could never successfully analyze the darn thing anyway.”

The human snapped her hand’s miniature appendages again, and a Disk identical to the one Rarity had viewed at Pinkie Pie’s Party Supplies appeared, floating in the air. The only difference was that the gemstone embedded into the center was a light orange, rather than pink.

“Thank you,” Rarity sighed with relief, almost not believing how easy this was. She had come here fearing the possibility of an all-out battle with a society of monstrous ponies. And, even though she’d faced something that was a lot less frightening yet arguably even more bizarre, actually getting whoever had the Disk to hoof—er, hand?—it over had ended up easier than the white unicorn had ever anticipated. “You don’t know how much this means to me.”

Rarity’s horn ignited as she telekinetically took hold of the Disk and slid it into her saddlebags. She’d have to find another Disk player before viewing it, but the simple fact that she had recovered one of her friends’ messages sent a surge of satisfaction through her, relaxing her mind and body.

“Um…” Rarity began, the comforting weight of the Disk in her saddlebag tugging gently on her torso. Megan followed the white unicorn’s gaze to the still-frozen Firefly.

“Oh, yeah!” Megan said quickly. “I almost forgot. Sorry about that.”

The human snapped her not-claws and Firefly’s inertia came rushing back, sending her crashing into the floor.

“What the… that’s not even fair!” Firefly shouted as she sprang back up and angrily assumed another battle stance beside Rarity. “You can’t take my speed away! That just proves that you two-legs are no good thieves and can’t be trusted!”

“We’ve never stolen anything from The ULE!” Megan exasperated, throwing her hands up. “Why do you ponies freak out every time you see one of us? We didn’t do anything to your world! Any problems you’re facing came from the hooves of ponies, not the hands of my people!”

“OUR hooves?!” Firefly practically raged. “If it wasn’t for you two-legs, the Fillydelphia Fire never would’ve happened!”

“WHAT?!” Rarity gasped, bile surging up her throat as she was reminded of such a horror. “But—but that was done by evil ponies and dark magic! I saw it myself!”

“Come on, great-auntie!” Firefly hissed, not taking her hate-filled eyes off of Megan. “I’m not awesome enough to take her on my own. If I was the real Rainbow Dash, then maybe—I’ll work on perfecting that later—but right now we have to get back to Rainbow Industries and tell President Rainbow before this two-leg can pull any more tricks!”

“No!” Rarity’s voice was firm, her eyes hardening as she stomped her hoof with a satisfying crack of thunder. “I want to know what’s going on right here, right now! What did you humans have to do with The Fillydelphia Fire?!”

“Philadelphia what?” Megan inquired. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. And how do you know about an ancient Earth city?”

“Great-auntie, there’s no time—” Firefly pleaded.

“Tell me or I’m leaving you with Rainbow’s imprint!” Rarity demanded.

“No!” Firefly gasped, her voice suddenly laced with fear. Her eyes lit up as an unfamiliar gleam sparked within them. “When the headquarters of The Seekers was raided after the Fire, they found scores of notes, calculations, and drawings in the mastermind’s personal chambers. Among those notes several images kept repeating, one being a drawing of a sphere labeled ‘Earth’, and the other being tall two-legged beings bearing hands yet no claws. He labeled these creatures ‘homo sapiens,’ and according to his notes, these were beings who already lived in the ‘true world’ he was always trying to get to by destroying this world. Somehow, that madpony had visions of those things, and if not for his visions, The Fillydelphia Fire would’ve never happened! We don’t know how, but the two-legs are connected with the evil thoughts that started The Seekers!”

Firefly’s voice had been straining more and more throughout her explanation, and finally she could sustain herself no more as another fit of coughs wracked her frame.

“Wait, what just happened?” Firefly inquired after the coughs had finally stopped. This was the most intense fit yet, and drops of red liquid dripped out of her mouth. “Why did I get scared by that threat? I love training here with President Rainbow!”

“Is she always this… unbalanced?” Megan inquired. “And who are The Seekers?”

“No, both of her are fine on their own, they just have to share one body,” Rarity answered, shivering slightly as she tried to wrap her mind around what Firefly had just told her. On the one hoof, it didn’t seem like the humans were directly responsible for the Fire. They may have been seen in that evil pony’s mad visions, but that didn’t mean they were the ones who had sent the visions. If it did, then they really were a darker power from beyond both this world and anything Rarity had ever imagined. “But you really don’t know anything about The Fillydelphia Fire or The Seekers?”

“Why do you keep talking about Philadelphia?” Megan asked. “That city’s never experienced a major fire save for the quark bombs they detonated there in World War VIII. And that was ancient history. How do you ponies even know we have a city named Philadelphia, much less the name of our original planet or the scientific name for the human species?”

“You have a city named Fillydelphia too?” Rarity asked in wonderment. “Ours was burned to the ground centuries ago by dark magic. And, although I’m rather baffled by this all myself, from the sound of it, the reason it was burned down was because the mastermind behind a secret society called The Seekers saw visions of your species.”

“Really?” Megan’s eyes narrowed in skepticism. “Somehow I find interdimensional knowledge belonging to a terrorist hundreds of years before we opened The ULE to the wider multiverse unlikely.”

Rarity didn’t find it likely either, but stranger things had happened—and still were happening, apparently—in this new era. Megan had spared them and simply asked for their cooperation, and that was a considerable leap of faith. But, even if there was the slightest chance this was all a grand manipulation and the two-legs really were somehow responsible for The Fillydelphia Fire, the white unicorn wasn’t about to let one go wandering throughout The ULE.

Then again, Megan had certainly been honest in one regard: The ULE government couldn’t keep the humans in those compounds if they didn’t want to stay there. If somepony as dangerously equipped with rainbow technology as Firefly couldn’t touch just one human in battle, then what would a whole herd of them be capable of? They had that strange non-magical power, and if they had planned to use it to actively pursue a plan that meant ill for The ULE, they would have acted by now. Telling a madpony to burn a city to the ground through some kind of communication from wherever the humans had come from almost a thousand years before they arrived in The ULE, and then never acting again even when they did arrive, didn’t make any sense.

“I think she’s telling the truth,” Rarity reasoned at last, turning to face the split pony. “I think we can trust her, Firefly. At least with just being a wayward explorer. There’s no reason to report her.”

“No reason my flank!” Firefly snorted. “I’m telling President Rainbow the instant we get back to the factory!”

“Don’t, Firefly,” Rarity commanded. “She already gave us the Disk, and that’s all we came for.”

“But great-auntie—”

“No buts!” Rarity intoned sharply.

Firefly looked like she was about to say something, then stopped. After a moment of silence, she inhaled deeply and looked the white unicorn in the eye.

“I’m sorry, great-auntie,” Firefly spoke firmly. “But this is something I have to do. As long as that two-leg is out here, the nation is at risk.”

“That’s just Rainbow’s imprint talking,” Rarity scolded. “That’s not you. And I ever so despise threatening you like this but, unless you hold your tongue about Megan’s presence, I’ll have to leave you here in Cloudsdale.”

“That’s not going to work, great-auntie.” The multicolored pegasus spoke more clearly and evenly than Rarity had ever seen her speak. “This is something both of me agrees on. According to the calculations of the real me, the two-leg paranoia of the not-me is actually justified. I won’t let The ULE be at risk of another Fillydelphia Fire or worse, even if it costs me myself.”

A split second after she finished speaking, Firefly vanished. A rainbow streak trailed in her wake, faster than Rarity’s eyes could hope to keep up with.

“What the—” Megan gasped. “No!”

The two-leg suddenly disappeared as the illusory pony from earlier took her place, shooting through the air after the polychromatic blur. Rarity didn’t see why the human didn’t simply snap her hand appendages again and freeze Firefly where she flew. She supposed Megan might only be able to perform that disconcerting trick when close to her target. At the speed the human’s illusory cover was moving, the invisible Megan would be within range to cast that trick again any moment now.

Or would she? Firefly wasn’t zooming off towards the direction of Rainbow Industries. Instead, she was climbing ever-higher above the nonexistent ceiling of the penthouse. Upon seeing Megan’s equine avatar fast-approaching, the split pegasus doubled in speed and dashed away before ‘Free Spirit’ could do anything. Megan soared after her, somehow invisibly flying even without real wings, but was never fast enough to catch Firefly.

After the real airborne pegasus had put considerable distance between herself and Megan, she about-faced and her weapons harness flashed into existence around her.

Instead of speeding off to Rainbow Industries and leaving Megan behind as she could have easily done, it seemed the split pegasus wanted to try her hoof at eliminating the threat she perceived Megan to be on her own. Rarity mused that that must be the wounded pride of Rainbow’s psyche winning out over how Firefly would probably be more apt to tell an authority. Megan charged Firefly as the split pegasus stood her air and let the harness charge. Rarity knew Firefly would be firing before Megan got close enough to freeze her.

“Surprise, you have to stop Firefly before she hurts Megan!” Rarity instructed, turning to her even crazier companion. “Or before Megan hurts Firefly!”

“All I have are my Party Cannons and a lifetime supply of ‘pop rocks,’” Surprise replied, sounding surprisingly reasonable. “I’d just blow them both up, and then I wouldn’t be able to laugh at them anymore. I can fly you up there if you want, but you’ll have to figure out a way to stop them yourself.”

“Fly me up there, then!” Rarity spoke. Wait, why was she so anxious to stop two beings she’d just met from attacking each other? Megan’s plight had nothing to do with her search, and neither did Firefly’s own predicament for that matter. W-wait, no! Why was she thinking like that?! It didn’t matter if they were directly involved with her search or not; they were both about to hurt each other—or worse!

“Aye-aye, Marshy!” Surprise saluted, swooping over and scooping up the white unicorn with her forelegs.

Rarity brought about one of her saddlebags and stuck her face within, searching for something that could stop these two bizarre beings from tearing into each other.

“‘Ghostly gumdrops,’ no, ‘lethal lollipops,’ no, ‘tickle tarts,’ no!” Rarity rattled off as she searched frantically for something useful. “Wait, ‘peacemaking popsicle?’”

Hoping she had found something that lived up to its name, Rarity telekinetically lifted out the gimmick, tore off its wrapper, and stuck it into her mouth. The popsicle tasted like various frozen fruits and was delightfully chilled despite having been in the room-temperature saddlebag with all of the other gimmicks.

Even with its pleasant cold taste, though, Rarity didn’t see what it was supposed to do. Her wondering ended when the chill started to spread from just her tongue to the rest of her body. The cold seeped into the white unicorn’s veins like ice water, causing her to cry out and attempt to spit out the popsicle. This didn’t work, though, as the treat seemed to be stuck to her tongue. Even Rarity’s magic couldn’t tug the sugary frozen fruit juice free, though thankfully this problem didn’t last for long. Even as she telekinetically yanked at the popsicle, the treat eventually dissolved away on her tongue.

The cold didn’t stop, though, causing Rarity to shiver and nearly make Surprise drop her. How was a gimmick that did nothing but freeze its user useful? The cold was so intense it was painful, but the worst part was that no part of her body seemed to be spared. Her tail and mane stood out on end as if frozen in place, her breath came out in clouds, and even her blood seemed to be freezing solid.

Suddenly, the white unicorn felt the familiar tingle of magic, the sensation almost identical to the feel of casting a spell even though her horn was inactive. Even more strangely, the feeling of magic seemed to be focusing on her eyes. The pressure of the magic building up without release reminded Rarity of the time she’d suffered from a horn ache back in her own time. She had tried casting a spell despite the pain in her horn, and the magic had been unable to break free into reality no matter how hard Rarity had tried. The harder she tried, though, the harder it had hurt until she’d given up.

But this time, the white unicorn had no control over the magic, or the pain it brought as it continued to build. Rarity tried to cry out, but her muscles refused to move. They were so stiff that she feared the blood within them might actually be frozen. Her eyes could move, though, and the last thing she saw before the pain reached its peak was ‘Free Spirit’ zooming up to Firefly, the blue pegasus’ weapons harness surrounded with cracking multicolored electricity.

Then the world ignited with magic, the pain and cold within Rarity bursting forth, though not through her horn. No, the gimmick unleashed its true purpose through the white unicorn’s eyes as twin beams of blue light.

Rarity cried out in shock at the violent buzzing of the uncontrollable magic. The experience was only rendered stranger by the fact that the same tingling that her horn experienced every time she used magic was now plaguing her eyes. It was about a thousand times more intense than anything her horn had ever felt, though, and her eyes throbbed.

Rarity heard the screams of both Megan and Firefly as the beams of magic struck them with a sickening crack. Seconds later, the last of the magic exited Rarity’s eyes, enabling her to watch them falling from the sky. Firefly, having been knocked out by the force of the blast, was surrounded by the same blue aura of the gimmick’s magic. Megan’s illusory pony had disappeared, and though she was still invisible, the same blue glow outlined a human-shaped silhouette.

“What happened?!” Rarity gasped. “Surprise, we have to catch them!”

"They’ll land in the penthouse,” the insane pegasus reasoned. “They’ll be fine. Well, maybe not when they wake up.”

“What do you mean?” Rarity demanded with a twinge of panic in her voice as Surprise floated them back down to the penthouse floor. Rarity saw the two unconscious figures hit the cloud-floor, which cracked mightily upon impact. When the two still-wakeful ponies touched down a moment or two later, the white unicorn saw that Surprise had been right. The clouds looked to have absorbed most of the impact, even though Rarity still wasn’t sure how Megan could stand on clouds when there wasn’t the slightest bit of magic on her. “What did I just do to them?”

“Good question, little pony,” spat a voice. The blue glow had faded away, but as it had done so Megan’s silhouette had become her entire visible form. The suddenly wakeful human rose to her feet, and she did NOT look amused. “I was wondering the same thing myself. What did you shoot me for?! I was just trying to stop your friend! If you had just stopped her, then I would’ve left her alone!”

“I’m sorry,” Rarity apologized. “I didn’t know what I was doing. The gimmick was called a ‘peacemaking popsicle,’ so I used it in the hopes it would stop you two from trying to kill each other. I didn’t actually know what it would do.”

“You used a WHAT?!” Firefly gasped, suddenly awake as well. She leapt into the air, her weapons harness dissolving around her. “Great-auntie, how could you?!”

“I didn’t know what it would do!” Rarity shot back. “I still don’t know what it did! And, if you two hadn’t been trying to kill each other, none of this would have happened anyway!”

“I wasn’t trying to kill her!” Megan protested. “I was just trying to get close enough to temporally freeze her again. I mean, I’m not sure I would’ve ever unfrozen her, since she was a threat to my freedom and all, but I wasn’t going to do any real harm!”

“I WAS trying to kill her,” Firefly moaned. “But now I’ll never be able to try again!”

“What are you talking about?” Rarity inquired exasperatedly. “Will somepony please just tell me what a ‘peacemaking popsicle’ does?”

“It does exactly what it sounds like it would do,” Surprise interjected. “It makes ponies make peace with each other!”

“How?” Rarity questioned.

“A big ol’ friendly death-threat!” Surprise replied happily.

“Huh?” Rarity exclaimed.

“A ‘peacemaking popsicle’ is one of the most powerful and thus expensive gimmicks, and even if you can afford it, they don’t give them out to just anypony,” Firefly explained with a frustrated sigh. “And for good reason. That gimmick enchants the two ponies—er, beings—who happen to be fighting in the vicinity the popsicle is eaten. The enchantment binds them together so that if one dies so too does the other.”

"What?!” Megan gasped. “I don’t want to have my life tied to somepony who wants to kill me!”

“I can’t kill you anymore,” Firefly went on. “If I do, then I die too. Just like you’ll die if you kill me. It goes further than that; whatever the state of health of one will be how healthy the other is. If one of us gets wounded so will the other, but if one of us takes a healing potion the other is healed too. And we can’t go more than a hundred yards of each other, ever, or we both die automatically. It’s to encourage the two enemies to build a friendship by making sure one will protect the other and vice-versa.”

“There has to way to break this,” Megan spoke desperately, more to herself than to anypony in the room.

“Pinkie Pie’s Party Supplies could never make a successful cure.” Firefly shook her head. “We’re stuck like this.”

“You’ve gotta be… What did you do to me, pony?!” Megan demanded, glaring daggers at Rarity.

“I’m sorry!” the white unicorn cried out. “I didn’t know! I never would have used it if I did!”

“That’s why you should always read a gimmick’s instructions before use,” Surprise joined in. “Pinkie Pie’s Party Supplies is not liable for negligent use of products. Should you seek to submit a complaint, please seek our customer service department. Office hours are ‘never’ through ‘are you kidding me? It’s not our problem!’”

“But even if it means I’ll have to be locked up too,” Firefly mused. “At least I can alert the authorities to your presence. There’s nothing you can do to try and stop me now.”

“Forget that!” Megan laughed darkly as she snapped her not-claws. Firefly winced, but opened her eyes when she realized that she had not been frozen in time again. Looking at the human quizzically, Firefly turned to Rarity and repeatedly opened and closed her mouth in silence. Hearing this, or rather, not hearing anything, Firefly let out a silent gasp and clutched her throat. She then shot an angry look at Megan. The human experimentally opened and closed her own mouth a few times, seeming satisfied with what she too didn’t hear. Megan snapped again, and her voice came back. “I may have to silence myself every time I silence you, but that’s a small price to pay if it means you can’t go blabbing off to the whole ULE.”

“I will find a way to stop you,” Firefly growled.

“I’m sure you’ll get plenty of tries,” the human remarked sarcastically, “Now that miss ‘I have to stop them from killing each other by putting both their lives at risk’ has cursed us. How am I supposed to explore The ULE now? I’ve just left one prison to be shackled in another!”

“Actually, if seeing The ULE is what you’re after…” Rarity ventured. “I’m on a search for more of those Disks. According to Pinkie’s imprint, they could be anywhere. I was planning on taking Firefly with me, and if you want, you’re welcome to join us.”

“Where would we be going?” Megan inquired, crossing her forelegs skeptically. “I don’t want ‘anywhere’ to end up being ‘nothing but Cloudsdale.’ I’ve spent the past few days exploring this city, but I’m ready to move on. However, I bought that Disk from a merchant stationed in the city right after I slipped out of the compound. She had a whole heap of the things.”

“What?!” Rarity piped up, hope sparking in her eyes. “Where?! No, wait, let me check…”

The white unicorn closed her eyes and concentrated, her horn glowing. She had been expecting a sharp tug, but instead her horn only felt the faintest of pulls.

"Huh?” Rarity wondered aloud. “That doesn’t make sense. Wherever those Disks are, they feel extremely far away. Are you sure what the merchant was selling weren’t just ordinary recording disks?”

“I wouldn’t know the difference between one recording disk and the next,” Megan admitted. “But they all had gemstones in their center like that. They were all discount, too. The merchant said no pony could get them to work, but she kept them around just in case anypony wanted to take a crack at unlocking them.”

“Those definitely sound like the Disks,” Rarity thought aloud. “But if you bought that one here, then why do they feel so far away?”

“She did say she was planning on going to someplace called ‘The Fluttershy Forests’ in a few weeks,” Megan informed her. “Maybe she left early.”

The Fluttershy Forests? Rarity had hardly heard anything about her kind pegasus friend since she woke up, save the comment by Pinkie Pie’s imprint, who had painted her in a less-than-positive light. If even another imprint (who was admittedly quite different from her original herself) thought Fluttershy’s living memory had deviated in a negative way, then how frighteningly warped could Fluttershy’s imprint have actually become?

“She must have,” Rarity agreed. “Those Disks definitely aren’t in Cloudsdale. After I convince Rainbow’s imprint to let Firefly, and thus you, come with me, it looks like our next stop will be The Fluttershy Forests.”

“Oh, boy!” Surprise squealed with glee. “I can’t wait to see all the designer genes!”

. . .