• Published 22nd Feb 2015
  • 1,499 Views, 82 Comments

Lessons in quirks - Mike84



When a student from Fillydelphia appears in Ponyville to continue his studies on the field of cutie marks there at the recommendation of Princess Celestia, Twilight Sparkle and her friends are in for another adventure.

  • ...
5
 82
 1,499

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter LIX

They had reached a sandy stream bed which ran roughly in the direction they were heading. The recent lack of rainfall had caused the water level to drop so much that it reached barely over their fetlocks. The stream bed made a comfortable gateway into the depths of the forest as it was a lot more passable than the thick undergrowth around and allowed for a wider view of what was ahead. Moreover, the ditch of the stream bed allowed for some cover from everything they heard rampaging through the nightly forest. After a while however, there weren't all too many sounds from animals or other creatures to be heard anymore and instead they heard the sound of cracking fire while the smell of smoke reached their nostrils.

"Fire", mumbled Rarity to herself, repeating the word over and over again as if this mantra could calm her. None of the ponies remained unfazed by the primeval fears stirred up by the sensation of the nearby blaze and hurrying towards rather than away from it was against every natural instinct. At last the flames they had only heard and smelled so far came in sight. The fire was ravaging on both sides of the stream bed. The raging flames hadn't yet reached the banks, but they were edging closer and even from the distance, the heat could be felt uncomfortably.
"The way is... is it blocked?" Rarity half stated, half asked in Rainbow Dash's direction.
The pegasus swung herself up into the air above the level of the treetops surrounding the stream bed and cast a look in both directions.

"Not blocked", she announced. "Not yet. These flames...", she pointed at the fires visible on both banks, "...are just cropping out here. There is no fire near the banks beyond, but..."
"But what?" Applejack demanded impatiently when Rainbow Dash didn't continue.
"These fires will get too close to pass by them very soon. We can still go through there now, but the way back will be blocked any minute now."
"But Dashie, you can fly!" Pinkie Pie reminded her. "You can always..."
Rainbow Dash didn't say anything but gave Pinkie Pie a very offended look that made her fall silent.

"And Twilight is on the other side?" Applejack asked.
Rainbow Dash shrugged. "I don't see her and there are no magic flares or anything."
"Best bet we got", Frank said grimly. "Flying in that direction and dueling on the way, setting the forest on fire their flight probably continued beyond this point."
"Twilight", Spike mumbled on Applejack's back, quietly, but loud enough for everypony to hear.
"Wish we had a better bet, but with Twilight at stake it's good enough for me!" Applejack said, pulled her stetson down, lowered her head and rushed forward between the two walls of fire while Spike again clung firmly to her mane. Rainbow Dash flew after Applejack immediately. Frank, who had so far stayed ahead, gritted his teeth. He was panting heavily but at last charged after Applejack the same moment Rarity and Pinkie Pie overcame their fears too. The air between the two fires was so hot that breathing became painful and parching and even on the skin the searing heat was only just bearable. No doubt, the narrow passage between the two fires would be impassable very soon. For now however, Rainbow Dash's observation turned out to be true and a short distance beyond the narrow gap, the temperature became tolerable again. Rainbow Dash and Applejack with Spike on her back had stopped some distance beyond to wait for the others to catch up. They were talking, but stopped as Frank, Rarity and Pinkie Pie came closer. They both took a drink from the shallow stream, but Spike gave Frank a look so unsettled that he was almost certain the previous short exchange had something to do with him.
"Very well", he thought grimly. "It's better that way now."

He followed their example and drank as he arrived near them, so did Pinkie and even Rarity was parched enough to overcome reservations against drinking from a river she might have considered too uncouth under different circumstances. Thirst and the need for at least some cooling didn't allow for such daintiness.
"Ah think we know these parts a bit, don't we?" Applejack said.
"Whatever do you mean?" Rarity asked while she carefully splashed a little water into her face.
"Ah'm pretty sure this here is the selfsame river the sea serpent helped us cross back then after you had given up your tail for him, Rarity."
"I do hope he is alright now", Rarity said. "I never met a serpent with such exquisite sense of style."
"It can't be, silly", Pinkie Pie said. "We wouldn't need a sea serpent to help us cross this river."
"Pinkie...", Rainbow Dash said, rolling her eyes, "...back then there hadn't been such a long time shortage of rain draining the river."
"Oh right. Silly me it is!" Pinkie said cheerfully.

"Begging your pardon, everypony, but do you think this is the time to reminisce?" Frank said sourly.
"Mah point is that if Twilight is somewhere near here, Ah think we know where she'd probably go", Applejack said.
"But wouldn't she just fly out of the forest?" Rarity suggested very quietly, leaving something unsaid that Pinkie Pie picked up immediately:
"If she just flew out of here, while we are walking into here, we will all look very silly!"
Rainbow Dash shook her head: "I've been checking for any signs of Twilight all along the way. No magic flares anywhere and she wasn't flying anywhere either. I would have seen her with all the moon- and starlight and Twilight is not fast enough to fly across all of Everfree Forest since I started looking for her. She must be in here!"

"Onwards then?" Frank suggested and set in motion again, following the stream bed.
The others followed and as they walked, Applejack continued in an irritated tone: "Twilight would probably go for the castle of the royal sisters if she is nearby and can't or doesn't want to fly."
"Yes, it wouldn't catch fire as easy as the forest around!" Rainbow Dash agreed.
"And also the Elements are there and Twilight—"
"Pinkie!" Applejack silenced her angrily. Looking at Rainbow Dash, she continued: "Rainbow, you fly ahead and see if you find her at the castle or anywhere nearby. You are faster and can search for her much better if you don't have to stick with us and maybe Twilight needs quick help!"
"But what about you?" Rainbow Dash asked, cutting a distressed face. "What if you need me?"
"We'll be fine, sugarcube", Applejack said with a smile.

"Rarity!" Spike called from Applejack's back. "You can do magic too! You can cast light signals, can't you?"
"I sure can!" Rarity said and the prospect of being able to help seemed to oust some of her fear. "I will send up white lights time and again so you can see where we are, Rainbow."
"Great", Rainbow agreed. "Can you send up a green one in case you find Twilight and a red one in case you need help?"
Rarity nodded.
"You could send up yellow ones too Rarity, right?” Applejack asked.
"Of course I could", Rarity confirmed.
"You want to have the good kind of fireworks, AJ?" Pinkie Pie asked.
Applejack shook her head. "We'll be using that one in case of... a different kind of emergency."

She gave Rainbow Dash a look that seemed to tell her something. The pegasus nodded slowly.
"We'll follow this here ditch a little longer", Applejack said. "Chances are, Twilight might come across here too. When we reach the point where we crossed back then, we are going to head for the castle. The fires are all behind us, right Rainbow? None ahead?"
Rainbow Dash flew up above the treetops and turned around on the spot, scanning the surroundings. "No fires between here and the castle", she announced. "But hurry! I think there's some breeze picking up and it's blowing this way!"

It took no further hint for the group below to set in motion again. Rainbow Dash felt very uneasy leaving them with a fire raging behind them. But Applejack was right and the thought of Twilight who too was probably somewhere in this burning forest made her shake off these misgivings. Flying a bit higher above the treetops, she turned towards where the ruins of the old castle were towering above the surrounding forest.

Author's Note:

Last edited on December 17th 2015.

PreviousChapters Next