• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 1,441 Views, 34 Comments

Diary of a Dragon - truekry



Journal entrys of Spike the Dragon about his life with ponies.

  • ...
10
 34
 1,441

Entry #18

The next few days will be awkward, I know it. It always is. It's pony mating time.

Ivory Scroll, or Mayor Mare as she is called sometimes, just put out the yellow flag. The first mares are in heat. Estrus, the correct term. I learned that stuff from books so please don't look at me like I'm an alien or something for knowing stuff about the other gender. I had a better education than someponies who went to school, thank you very much. Mum always made sure I know my stuff.

With the yellow flag out everypony is rushing into the market to get their freezers packed still it's burst, so they last a week or more.

It's not like they become sex zombies like this one movie Sweetie and I tried to get in... or something like that. It's just the most likeliest time for a mare to have a foal and her hormones are back on the level of teen who just found out what her hoof is capable of in the right place. So the mares try to stay indoors as much as possible. In the important facilities like hospitals, the male staff is working overtime to keep everything going. But everything else is closed.

I noticed the flag only because Rarity pointed it out to me when I got to the boutique today. Sweetie was also in the room, helping Rarity cleaning up stuff from a costumer I must have missed. So we talked and since our relationship is as young as us, we decided to not see each other for a couple of days. Not that Rarity had given us a choice in the matter. While she found us as a couple "cute", she didn't want her little sister beating her in becoming a mother. We both were red like tomatoes.

But it got me thinking, for the future of course. Could I even have a foal? Not necessarily with Sweetie, if we for some reason shouldn't stay together, but in general. Could I even get a mare pregnant? From my understanding I can't. They are mammals and I'm... a dragon. My kind lays eggs, they don't. Normally that doesn't work. But there are also the griffins, who Mum once explained are a subspecies of lions who somehow got mixed up with eagles. Eagles are birds and laying eggs too. Lions don't. Did I ever mention that my life is confusing?