• Published 1st Feb 2015
  • 657 Views, 2 Comments

All Her Hopes and Dreams - sunnypack



Among the ruins in the Badlands there crawls life among that which has been extinct long ago. Daring Do makes her way through the ancient ruins, limping from column to column. It's excruciating, but she has to do it. She must. For her.

  • ...
1
 2
 657

1 - Thirst

Chapter 1: Thirst

Across the vast desert plains that score the Badlands, there is little to see. Dirt and dust cover much of the rock and pitiless hard earth underneath. There is scant vegetation save for a couple of hardy shrubbery that clings and sucks the only moisture around, and even they are shrivelled and dying.

If one were so inclined to trek as far, there lies something that is not completely barren or wasted. There lies the ruins of an ancient civilisation. A majestic ruins with tall pillars, grandiose structures and intricate stonework, all worn down and roughened by the winds and the occasional torrential rains. Though life among these ruins have diminished from their past glory, there are still those who still walked among the dead masonry.

Among these ruins a pegasus crawled, with a bandaged leg forcing her to limp from column to column. Her wings were tattered and ragged and her breath came in short gasps. The pained sounds of her struggles echoed through that which had been forsaken long ago.

An adventurous pony by nature, Daring Do would not be deterred by a mere flesh wound. She simply gritted her teeth and steadily made her way to the inner sanctum of the ruined temple. Inside, the sunlight doesn’t break through the ruined ceiling. The immortality of the roof’s construction proving the mastery of its creators with stone. On a usual day, Daring would usually stare at the wondrously crafted designs. She would take in the austerity of the crumbling civilisation and ponder on her craft and calling.

But today was not a day to hesitate or appreciate. Today she moved towards her goal without looking or staring, only stopping to set down a bundle in the shade. Daring noted that there would be stairs further in and with her leg the way it was, she didn’t want to risk damaging something that precious. She limped down the stairs, for once silently cursing the extravagant architecture as she made her way down to what she knew was the only source of water in the Badlands.

Each step was challenge for her. Her hoof wobbled uncertainly on the smooth stone. Often she slipped, catching herself at the last moment, the awful sensation of balancing between salvation and damnation leaving her heart pounding and her wound throbbing. Each step sent thoughts spiralling within her head. It would be a poor end to the adventure if she simply fell down the stairs. A husky wheeze was all she could manage instead of the harsh barking laughter Daring wanted. Finally, stumbling and collapsing on the last few steps of the way, she came upon the chamber which housed the only natural spring for miles around.

Though the spring held water to satiate the thirst of a whole civilisation long ago, it only contained mere drops compared to the bounty it had once given. But the ‘drops’ were enough for her. Enough to last her for the rest of the day. She took a cautious sip, tasting the slightly flat but refreshing liquid. The water felt heavenly on her tongue and she was tempted to drink and drink and never stop.

Daring held back, her thoughts whirring in her mind. She knew that it was easy to make snap judgements when thirst or hunger were foremost in one’s mind. Her muscles tensed briefly, then relaxed. She had come on a more important mission. Unslinging the proofed pouch from her neck, she drowned the pouch in the small pool and watched as the water seeped in. When there only a shallow puddle left, she swung the pouch back onto her back and lapped at the rest of the water. It would be enough to see her back.

When she glanced back she almost let out a groan. The stairs were taunting her. Each step would be more difficult going back up. She vaguely noted that she had more slipped and slided her way down. Even the act of thinking of going back up, hammered at her resolve.

But Daring Do was not a mare that just gave up. She would stick to this through to the end.

So back up the torturous stairs she climbed. She struggled with the additional weight of the water pouch that threatened to tip her over and send her tumbling down back into the chamber. She grit her teeth and grunted with every step. Concentrating on the next step in rhythmic beat to keep her moving, to keep her going.

Step. Step. Step.

One after the other, she told herself. Not far, only a few more to go.

Step. Step. Step.

With a monumental effort, Daring pulled herself up the last couple of steps. She staggered to the left and leaned heavily on a column. Her body screamed at her to sit, to lay, to rest, but she knew that if she did so, she might never get up again. The temptation was too great, she had to keep going.

Step, step, step.

Have to keep going, I have to keep going, she spoke to herself, her resolution hastening her steps slightly.

Ahead was another sound. A life among the barren ruins. The cry tore at the young pegasus’ heart and she shuffled faster, breaking into a limping canter as she closed in on sound.

“Shh,” she crooned as she got close. Two large green eyes blinked at her and the small bundle quieted. “It’s okay, I’m here now.” She unslung the small water pouch and pressed it to the muzzle of the small infant.

“There you go,” she croaked, giving her some more water. “There you go.”

Daring Do, adventurer of Lost Cities, the discoverer of ancient and incalculable artefacts and seasoned expeditioner, glanced back the way she came. She almost groaned out loud as she thought of the excruciating journey back to the water spring. It would fill up again in a few hours. So at least she could get some rest...

She winced as the newborn let loose a discomforting shriek. Tiny hooves, spotted with holes, sprang from the bundle and Daring quickly nuzzled the foal until she grew quiet once again. Daring broke into a tired smile.

Until then she would keep this little one company. She hummed a small tune, singing the vulnerable newborn to sleep.

Author's Note:

Just a bit 'enlarged' from the writeoff version. Will expand this later.

Trying to work with the feedback from the writeoff, some writers are just amazing. I can't stop saying how amazing they are. They are amazing.

Next Chapter: Hoof.

As always, my kinetic readers, thanks for reading!