• Published 31st Jan 2015
  • 492 Views, 0 Comments

A Sparkle In the Dark - PanzerAsp RD



A young man who feels as though his life has no meaning stumbles upon something that changes him forever.

  • ...
4
 0
 492

Chapter Two

I opened my eyes and looked at the clock. It was now 10 AM, I had four hours before I had to go to work. I sat up on the bed and stretched, cracking my back loudly. I stood up and saw Twilight leaving my room and yawning. I smiled at this and approached her.

"Had a good sleep, huh?" I said as I smiled at her. She smiled back at me, I couldn't help noticing that her eyes looked beautiful...wait...am I thinking this about a unicorn..? I shook my head and turned around. I walked into the kitchen of my trailer, and got out a pan.

"Are you hungry, Twilight?" I asked. She nodded and sat on the couch. I went to the fridge and I opened the door, I pulled out a dozen eggs, and cracked one into a bowl. I cracked two more into the bowl and stirred it. I dumped it into the pan, and the egg started cooking. I moved it around in the pan with a spatula.

After the eggs were done cooking I took them off the burner and shut it off. I got out two plates and put the eggs on them. I put a plate down on one side of the table, and one on the other. I sat down on one side and Twilight sat across from me. I gave her a fork, and smiled.

"I've never seen this type of food before." She told me.

"Well, take a bite and let me know what you think." I said. She stared down at her plate for a second, and then lifted her fork with her magic. She picked up a bit of egg and ate it.

"Well? What do you think?" I asked, smiling. She had grin on her face as she ate more and more of her eggs until her plate was empty and barren.

"I loved it!" She exclaimed happily. "What is it called!?"

"Well, we just call them eggs." I said, smiling back at her. Her smile faded and was replaced with a look of horror.

"Eggs!? Have I eaten a small creature's young!?" She was yelling and looked terrified.

"No, no, please, Twilight, calm down! There are some eggs which are fertile and will eventually hatch, but the eggs that aren't fertile and won’t produce a baby chick are sent to stores to be eaten." I explained quickly, hoing she wouldn't storm out or something. She seemed to calm down and didn't look as scared now.

"I'm a vegetarian, you see." She explained.

"I understand, and I'll make sure I remember that." I said, now smiling again. I began eating the eggs that were still on my plate. After I'd finished Twilight got up and sat down on the couch. I stood up and grabbed her plate and fork and put them in the sink with the pan. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 12 AM. I looked at Twilight. "I have to go to work at 2." I said to Twilight. She smiled and nodded.

I sat down next to her and looked at her.

"Twilight, while I'm gone, I don't want you to leave the trailer, because I don't know how other people will react to you." I told her. "I don't want anything to happen to you, okay?"

She smiled at me and looked truly appreciative for my concern.

"I promise, Donnie." She said, smiling. She wrapped her hooves around me in an embrace. She closed her eyes as she held me, and I hugged her back.

"Thank you for keeping me safe and helping me, Donnie." She said as she hugged me. I didn't know what to say to her, so I just kept hugging her until she let go of me. I scratched the back of my head and chuckled. I stood up and walked into the bathroom, I closed the door and took off my clothes. I climbed into the shower and turned the knobs.

After I had finished taking a shower, I turned off the water and dried myself off. I put on pants I'd been wearing before and stepped out of the bathroom. Twilight was still sitting on the couch, but she was staring at me. I followed her gaze to the bruises and marks I had all over my body.

"Shortly before I found you I had been beaten up by a man I know." I informed her. She had a look of concern on her face.

"Come here." She told me. I walked over and sat down on the couch next to her. She touched her nose against a large blue bruise on my side, and I closed my eyes, trying not to move. She pulled away and looked up at me.

"I'm sorry! Did I hurt you?" She asked with concern. I smiled at her and hugged her.

"If I had to get beaten up to meet you, then it was more than worth it."I said as I hugged her tightly. After a moment she hugged back, and when I pulled away, I could see her blushing. I stood up and walked into my laundry room. I searched the room for a clean set of clothing for me to wear. I picked up random shirts, smelling them and putting them down after deciding that the boss wouldn't be too happy if I showed up with that shirt on. Finally, I picked up a shirt and smelled it, it didn't smell too bad so I threw it on and walked out.

I looked at the clock, it was 1:30 PM. I walked to the door of the trailer, and opened it.

"I gotta go to work now, Twilight. I'll see you tonight." I said as I shut the door. I started making my way toward the construction site for another day at my job.

I stepped onto the construction site, and my boss approached me.

"Well, you definitely don't look like shit, but as for the smell, not so much." He said, grinning. "Get to work."

I went to my normal place on the site and began lifting rocks. I set rock after rock inside the bucket, and eventually it was full. The machine backed up and left my view, only to return moments later with a freshly emptied bucket. As I looked around the site, I saw the man who had caused me so much trouble. He was grinning at me, and staring with cold eyes. I stared back at him, until I noticed our boss staring our way, so I turned around and resumed the lifting.

Several buckets later, I'd lost count, as well as doing other jobs around the site, the day was over and my work here was done. I left the site and started walking home, hopefully not to be beaten up on my way back. The man was waiting for me at the same place as yesterday, he had the same two guys with him.

"You'd think ol' Shit-stain here would've at least taken a different route home today, but no, he goes the same way. You must be pretty stupid, man." He said as the guys behind him laughed. I clenched my fists and gritted my teeth.

"I don't have time for your shit today." I said coldly. He just laughed, and kept grinning at me.

"Well, what are you gonna do about it, Shit-stain?" He said tauntingly. I stepped toward him. He looked a little surprised at this.

"Wait, are you actually thinking about fighting me? After that beating you took yesterday? You really are an idiot!" He and his two friends laughed. I took another step forward and he straightened up. He lifted his fists and grinned. I didn't want to fight him, but it looked like he wanted to fight me. He came toward me and he threw a punch at me, I moved my head out ofthe way, and moved to his side. He slammed his shoulder into my chest and knocked me backward. He pushed me and I fell onto my back, his friends were laughing loudly. He got on top of me and punched me in the face. My head jolted to the side and without thinking I pushed my head forward and slammed it into his chin.

He pulled back and let go of me. I pushed him back onto his own back. I got on my knees and punched him. I grabbed his shirt and pushed him into the ground. I had my arm against his throat and was pushing. I felt his two friends trying to pull me off him, I let go of his neck and threw my elbow into one of the men's faces. I threw the other one backward and punched their leader again. I stood up and walked past him, continuing my walk home. I heard the terrified yell of one of the men brought along saying "I think he broke my nose!"

I approached my trailer and I opened the door, feeling happy and relieved to be back at my home...back with Twilight.