• Published 4th May 2012
  • 1,199 Views, 13 Comments

Crying in a Bottle - Starlight_Flight



Somepony once "Great and Powerful" ends up in the small village of Wellshod, crying on her salt...

  • ...
2
 13
 1,199

Storm Story

Chapter Four: Storm Story

"If you actively deny your Special Talent, it will eventually express itself, often to your detriment." That was something she had been taught in Theory of Talents at school. All ponies had Special Talents, and all unicorns could use magic. There was a great variety in Special Talents, and it was hard to say that none had ever been duplicated, but not all unicorns had Special Talents in magic itself. Trixie was not just a performer; performance was her Special Talent. Just because she loved showing off with big speeches and magically-backed bravado didn't mean that was the entirety of her Special Talent. And that song had just burst out of her. This was a warning, it had to be! She had to talk to someone about it.

But--! Trixie stopped, looking side to side, realizing her mother wasn't in the house she was running to. Just Mrs. Full, who was nice enough, but not a unicorn, much less family. The filly was about to turn away, when she saw something in the distance, like dark clouds. Then lightning flashed, and Trixie ran to Harvest's to tell everyone a storm was coming.

When she got the news, Harvest ran to the Oatcakes' home to let them know, and they sent their son into town to tell the folks there. As the wind picked up, a pegasus filly called Feather Breeze, whose Special Talent was weather prediction, looked at the feather on her necklace and told everyone this storm was getting out of control of the pegasi who'd been herding it across the land, and that strong shelter was needed right away. All the farm critters gathered in the best cover they had, and Trixie ended up with the Full crew and a few others in the Oatcakes' storm cellar, which was just barely large enough to fit the dozen ponies inside, along with many shelves and bundles full of fruits, vegetables, herbs, and preserves.

"Oh, I really should finish that cellar of mine this year," fretted Harvest.

"It's okay, Mrs. Full. We'll get it shored up proper one of these days." Trixie wasn't sure who had replied, but she fretted about the townsfolk. The wind howled outside, rattling the cellar door, which had been built nearly horizontal on its frame.

Mrs. Oatcakes checked the latch one more time, then came back and put out the lantern. "I'd best save this for later. We could be down here a while." The ponies shuffled nervously in the dark, bumping into things.

Someone was crying, and a filly's voice said, "Hush, Honey, we'll be all right."

"But what about all the animals and houses and ponies outside?"

"We sent word and did our best by them. We can't shelter everyone in here."

"I'm more worried about the crops, m'self," said Sunny's voice.

"We'll worry about them once we see what the storm's left us," said Harvest's.

The howling got louder, and there was a loud, rolling crash of thunder. Then a dripping sound.

"Could someone see what's leaking?"

Happy lit the lantern and passed it around so ponies could check the walls and floor, then went herself to check the door. The dripping was from a gap in the door, where rainwater was trickling down the wooden stairs of the cellar and onto the cobblestone floor. She sighed. "Can't fix it right now, but we ain't gonna drown, folks." She extinguished the lantern.

Trixie sighed. This small space was stuffy, and getting hot, with so many ponies crowded in. Suddenly there was a commotion, and she perked up, alert. There was a roaring noise, like a dragon's roar, except it kept going on and on. "What's that?"

"That's a tornado," said Harvest. "Those are definitely not supposed to happen in this area! I hope the Guardians are on the job getting whatever caused it under control."

"What's a tor-nay-do," asked Honey Oatcake. Her mother answered.

"It's a storm that spins round and round, like a pegasus goin' in circles. It picks things up and smashes them together with the force of its wind, and it can tear down buildings, or throw things a mighty distance. I've heard tell it can haul a pony a mile or more!"

"Now that is interesting to hear, Madam. Do you happen to know any stories about these storms?" That had to be Dusty Tales speaking.

"None I'd like to talk about while we're waiting one out, I don't! Best not to have that in our heads until afterward. We're in the safest place we can be right now."

Trixie felt a tickle in her hooves and horn, and wondered what would happen if she just... let go. But she held back, considering, nervous. And then suddenly she couldn't stop what was coming -- but she felt that familiar warmth, soft and strong in her heart. I promise, Mommy. I'll tell the best story ever!

"A long, long, long time ago, there was a beast whose breath could make storms. It roamed the lands of the Everfree Forest, invisible except to those who could see the air itself move." There was a sudden light in the cellar, and an image was forming in it. Somepony gasped, and they all watched.

"When the Princesses were young, this beast taunted them, and said they could never find it if it wanted to hide. So they chased it, and it hid, becoming like the air around it. They looked, but could not see, for the creature moved only when the wind blew." Ghostly images showed themselves, of Celestia and Luna together as fillies, prancing through a beautiful green forest, looking here and there and laughing happily.

"The beast snorted, and a sudden breeze blew Princess Celestia into her sister. Princess Luna pushed her back, laughing, and they pranced on, looking and looking." The image started to turn dark.

"In those days, their attention was not quite so important, for they were still young and learning their roles, but soon it was time for sundown. The Princesses rested, and moved the lights of the skies as was their duty." There was a half moon showing, and in its gentle light the pair rested together.

"Princess Celestia was tired, but Luna was strong now. She helped her sister up, and they looked around. They were lost in the depths of the forest. The beast of storms snarled and took a chance, dashing away out of sight, leaving a dreadful wind in its path that caused several trees to break. They fell at the Princesses, and Luna was hurt!" In the glowing scene, a face appeared, snarling and taunting.

"The beast returned, taunting them. It showed its contempt, calling them weak, small, pathetic. Princess Celestia stood as tall as she could, and began to cast a spell." The illusory white princess stood before the horrible face, between it and her sister beneath a tree. Her horn sparkled and began to glow.

"'Because you have harmed my sister and tried to harm me,' said Celestia, 'I will reduce your power. I name you Zephyr, the weakest of winds, and I hereby split the winds from you! Your body will have no strength but that of the smallest child!'" The glow became a quick flash, white but not sharp. The huge, awful face was gone, changed to a small angry child's face.

"The beast squalled and cried, but Celestia stood firm. Soon, friends and protectors from all over came to her, where they had seen the light of her magic. They rescued Luna and guided them both safely to home and healing." But the image showed something following the crowd.

"The monster Zephyr followed them, and when Luna was resting, it whispered in her ear. 'I have hurt you, godling. I have hurt you, and I will never forget. Your sister's spell is incomplete without your power, and I will gather mine up again and use it against you, and all you share. Fear me, Luna. Fear me.' Then it went away." The dark princess was shown crying in her bed, and attendants coming to see what was wrong.

"Since that time, it has hunted its power, gathered it up, and stormed out its rage and fury whenever it could. The tornado is the doing of the Zephyr, weakest of winds, wrapped up in its hatred and the memory that it once hurt a goddess." The image faded into a quiet but haunted scene, the aftermath of a strong windstorm.

The crowd was rapt. Trixie was rapt with them, until finally she blinked. Happy Oatcakes lit her lantern and asked, "Which of you travellers did that?"

Trixie blushed. "I... I think it was me. But something's different! It's not like it was before. I was never really all that good!" She squeaked at the admission, and shied, trying to hide under the hooves of Mystic Heart, Happy's older daughter. "Please don't hurt me?"

Happy set the lantern down. "Lovey, you have done us all a service here. I'd plum forgot that tale! My great-grandmama told me that one when I was barely a foal! This is the second tornado I've ever lived through. And this one sounds like it's done." She walked up and unlocked the door, lifting it carefully and looking outside.

The winds were strong, and it was still raining, but the worst had passed. Flashes of lightning lit the ground, showing a little storm damage, but no major destruction was visible. There was no sign, not sight nor sound nor other sense, of the tornado. The sky was clearing in the distance to the west, and there was a hint of impressive color in the coming sunset.
Inside, Dusty Tales turned to Trixie. "You, my dear filly, have told a story worthy of the Princess, right from the folk of the land. You listen to your Special Talent, and it will fill you with power over the hearts of ponies throughout Equestria... the power to enrapture and enspell. And you beware that power, lest you become jealous like Nightmare Moon."

The unicorn filly stood there, looking stunned. Then Happy called down and everypony started climbing the stairs to leave, so they could check their homesteads and prepare some supper before bed. Trixie stayed behind, saying she'd bring the lantern up and shut the door behind her. Happy reminded her to slide the latch when she did, so the door would stay shut.

When she was alone, she made a light with her horn in the dim cellar space, and whispered, "I am the Great and Powerful Trixie." She shivered, feeling a twist as if Nightmare Moon herself were trying to grasp her heart.