• Published 4th May 2012
  • 1,197 Views, 13 Comments

Crying in a Bottle - Starlight_Flight



Somepony once "Great and Powerful" ends up in the small village of Wellshod, crying on her salt...

  • ...
2
 13
 1,197

Anger, Bargaining

Chapter Eight: Anger, Bargaining

Breakfast conversation was no better. Bindlestick was again the soul of gratitude, and didn't say much. Dusty, on the other hand, had things to talk about.

"Trixie, that story you told yesterday, where did you learn it?"

"My mother told it to me when I was very small. It was storming outside, and the wind was very strong, and I thought our house would blow down."

"That part on the end, about Luna being haunted by the beast -- I hadn't heard that before."

"My mother told it to me that way, though."

"Where did you grow up? I might like to visit that area."

Trixie hesitated. But even famous ponies had to come from somewhere. Think of Dolly Ponyton, she came from the hilly lands in eastern Equestria, where nobody thought talent even existed!

"I came from a small town called Tailbrush, in southeast Equestria."

Thunder Star looked at Trixie. "And you're all the way up here?"

"A travelling performer must be mobile, yes?" Thunder nodded to her. "And so I was, until my wagon was crushed earlier this week by an Ursa M-Major." There was that twist again, starting to feel a little like a knife in her heart. And Trixie started to remember when she first felt it.

Harvest gave Trixie a sharp look. "An Ursa Major, near Ponyville? Wouldn't they live deep in the Everfree Forest where nopony ever goes?"

"A pair of smarmy idiot foals woke it up so I could dispatch it for them. I was nearly dispatched instead! Only the intense power of- of- of-" She couldn't say it! Dusty spoke up instead.

"You're telling me somepony dispatched an Ursa Major?"

Finally the dam burst, and Trixie's outrage spilled out.

"I am the Great and Powerful Trixie! I should have won, but nobody can defeat even an Ursa Minor! And somehow, she did! It was a Minor, I have that comfort!"

"Who did?"

"That... that monster in pony form! That purple MONSTER! She's no pony, she's a horrid... thing living in Ponyville! That awful creature ruined my life!"

The kitchen was silent in the face of such vehemence. Then Thunder Star spoke.

"Well, now I know I'll be accompanying you. If what you say is true, it is my duty as a Royal Investigator, even if I am supposed to focus on just the weather. Since we've heard this much, would you be willing to tell us the rest?"

Trixie was trembling with fury, ready to buck and stomp whatever presented itself. She laughed sharply. "Ha! It was almost a week ago, wasn't it? I, the Great and Powerful Trixie, had pulled my wagon into Ponyville to impress the local riffraff and fill up my empty wallet with their enthusiastic praise. That afternoon, I gave them my Speech of Glory, telling them of my great and mighty exploits, and then challenging any of them to test their tricks against mine.

"I humiliated several challengers, and the town was suitably impressed. But that night, two foals went into the forest to find an Ursa so that I could challenge it as well! And they certainly found one! It was smashing through the trees, tearing roofs off houses, and it even smashed my wagon before I got it under control.

"But then it broke its bonds, and I realized I couldn't control it. No-one can! I turned and started to run, when this awful, horrid, monstrous purple pony came running up and... the wind started to blow, and haunting music played from nowhere. Then her horn started glowing like a bonfire! A minute later, a huge water bin came up, and the Ursa and bin were sent off into the night as if some invisible mother were carrying them!

"That is no ordinary pony. She is a monster, and I do not want to return to Ponyville, the site of my humiliation and defeat!"

The other ponies bore various expressions of surprise, fear, distrust, and speculation.

Thunder Star said, "Well, I have no complaints against you, and I can't make you go. But this town needs help, and I will gladly render it."

Bindlestick giggled. "You're a liar, Trixie! You're an outright liar! There ain't no pony can do all that. C'mon, you wanna get laughed outta every town you come to, tell that story."

Trixie made a snarling face. "Bindlestick, you are a bumpkin and a fool. I'm leaving as soon as I can, and I'm definitely going to be leaving you behind." Then Harvest looked at her.

"What about our town, Trixie? You seemed like a nice filly, what is all this?" The mare showed a disappointed expression. "What did your mother teach you about helping others?"

Trixie's heart felt numb, but it was better than the hurt. "Mrs. Full, I did not pledge to help this town. I helped you in order to pay for my night's stay, because Jars said I might have to."

Harvest gave an exasperated sigh. "Dear, he says that to everyone. He's running a business, he needs ponies to pay their tabs. You can pay it in salt, strawberries, bits, or labor, but his form of kindness does not mean he just gives his tavern away!"

Trixie stamped her hoof. "Fine! I'm going, and nopony try to stop me!" She turned and walked haughtily toward the door. Nopony tried to stop her. She opened the door and stepped out. Nopony followed. Trixie looked back and shouted, "Fine!" She closed the door firmly and started walking, coming around the house and heading up the visible, open cart trail to the western road away from Wellshod.

Mystic Heart Oatcakes was standing in the road.