• Published 4th May 2012
  • 734 Views, 27 Comments

Both Sides of the Blade - AverageMemory



Majora and Derek secretly protect Equestria from horrible evils.

  • ...
 27
 734

Chapter 3 Three Fall

The next day, Twilight decided to go to Canterlot and ask Shining Armor about the strange stallion named Majora.

At the castle Shining Armor was busy giving orders.

“Shining Armor, what do you know about a soldier named Majora?” she asked.

Shining Armor waved a few soldiers off and turned to her.

“Majora... I’m pretty sure he was my bodyguard a long time ago, or maybe he was a captain put in charge of protecting me? I don’t remember very well, the dude saved me, though.” He said.

“Saved you!?” She gasped.

Shining Armor seemed puzzled. “Yeah, there was an rockslide on the far side of the mountain. He pushed me out of the way of a boulder and...” He stopped.

“What? What happened?” She asked.

“He was hit by the boulder and sent down the mountain.” He said. “When we went looking for him all we found was his helmet. They pronounced him dead, but I don’t believe it.”

“You don’t?” Twilight asked, trying to hide what she was thinking.

“Nope, the guy was too clever. I think he’s out there somewhere, probably just suffering amnesia.” He said. “He was a good pony, and an excellent soldier. You don’t get many like him.”

“Thanks Shining Armor.” She said.

“Anytime Twili.” He said, walking off. “OH! Now I remember, he was Captain of the Strike Force.”

“Huh?” Twilight gasped. She turned to ask her brother more, but he was already gone.

She wondered if Celestia, being the princess, knew anything Shining Armor didn’t.

When she got home, she wrote a letter.

Dear Celestia,

I have met two of the most mysterious ponies
in all of Equestria. One doesn’t even appear to exist,
while the other is supposed to be dead. I just don’t
understand, and hope that you have insight to who they
are. Their names are Derek and Majora.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle

Spike took it for Twilight and blew fire to send it. Almost immediately he burped up a reply.

Dear Twilight,

I advise you to stay away from those two,
they are very dangerous. I will be sending a
few soldiers to your home in Ponyville. I instruct
you to guide them to where these two live.

With Regards,

Princess Celestia.

Twilight gulped, wondering if this was safe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derek was flipping through books and I was polishing my old armor, as usual. Things were finally becoming normal again, now that Twilight had quit bothering us.

“TO ARMS!” Somepony shouted outside.

I set down my armor and walked over to the window. I saw Twilight and five burly looking soldiers.

“Derek!” I shouted. “We have some visitors!”

“What kind!?” He shouted back from the other room.

“The less then friendly kind!” I yelled back.

Derek walk into the living room and up to the window.

“Been a while,” he scoffed, “I want to test some new magic.”

“About that,” I said, “Twilight is with them.”

“Oh.” He said.

We were silent for a second.

“That SNITCH!” He yelled. His horn began to glow.

“No matter what Derek, we can’t kill her.” I said.

He was still a bit angry. “FINE then! I’ll work AROUND her!” He yelled.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight saw the door open. Majora stepped out, a sheathed sword slung on his back.

“Evening, officers.” He said.

The soldiers winced, and backed up. “Cap- Captain Majora is ALIVE!?” One stuttered, extremely startled.

“I am.” He said. “Why are you here?”

One of the soldiers panicked. “When the princess said Majora, I never would have imagined it would be,” he gulped, “Him.”

Twilight was shocked, the mere sight of Majora had stopped these soldiers dead in their tracks.

“I offer you a choice, men. Turn back now, or suffer my wrath.” Majora said.

One of the soldiers stepped forward, shaking furiously from a horrible fear Twilight could not begin to comprehend.

“S- Sir, i- in the name of Cel- Celestia, you are u- under arrest.” He stuttered.

Majora flashed a wicked smile. “Wrong choice, knave.”

Majora bodychecked the soldier, launching him into the other 4.

“Now, Derek!” He shouted.

In an instant, a circle of fire arose around the five soldiers, engulfing them. She could hear the pained shrieks of the soldiers. She backed up, and was knocked out by a falling branch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Twilight awoke, the sun had gone down. The Everfree forest was the worst possible place to be at night. She got up and inched toward the house. She heard a crack under her hoof, and looked down to see a pile of bones. She shrieked, and ran to the door of the house. She knocked intently. The door was opened by Majora.

“Good evening, mare, nice to see you’re still alive after that.” He said. “You DO realize we should have killed you for that.”

She looked down. “I’m sorry.”

She heard Derek laugh inside. “SORRY? That gets you NOTHING in the REAL world.”

Majora stepped back, and invited her in.

Derek snorted. “Don’t let that brat in, she‘ll just leave and bring more troops!”

Majora sighed. “Relax, Derek. We can’t let her go out through the forest at this time of night, it’s too dangerous”

Derek just turned his head.

Twilight walked in slowly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat down on the couch, Twilight looked up at me.

I suppose she was a bit remorseful for attempting to murder us.

“We spared you for multiple reasons.” I began. “The most important of which is that you are one of the Elements of Harmony, our trump card in a sense.”

“What?” She said, confused.

“Well, Nightmare Moon and Discord proved to be... too much for us alone. So we sat back and allowed things to unfold in those situations. Then of course Celestia steps in and you know the rest.” I explained.

Twilight seemed a bit shocked. “You two... watched us?”

“YEP!” Derek yelled, grinning like an idiot.

“Only to make sure that you could handle it.” I reassured her.

“So you two are like, silent protectors?” She asked.

“In a sense, I suppose.” I replied. “We have made it our mission to stop evil before it has a chance to attack. Which is why we steal books, so we can study the prophecies that foretell doom, so we may fight it.”

“I also take spell books.” Said Derek. “Gotta stay sharp, you know.”

“So then, why does Celestia hate you guys so much?” asked Twilight

“It’s complicated,” I replied. “We are always around when something bad is happening, and I think she believes we are the cause. We actually ran into Celestia during the Discord incident and Derek had one of his... episodes. You see, when he turned to dark magic-”

Derek cut me off. “I didn’t turn to dark magic, I started to research it and Celestia got all bent out of shape! That foal had it coming!”

“So you’re just misunderstood?” she asked.

“Precisely.” I said.

Twilight lowered her head.

“It’s getting late. Derek, send her home.” I commanded.

“With pleasure.” He replied. He shot a laser at her and POOF, she was gone.

“You DID send her home, right?” I asked.

“Somewhere.” He said.

“Derek!”

“Relax, old man, she’s at that library.”

I sighed. Another fantastic day, I suppose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight awoke in the middle of the floor to the sound of frantic knocking.

“TWILIGHT, TWILIGHT! OPEN UP! OPEN UUUUP!” She heard Pinkie Pie shouting.

Twilight sighed, walked over to the door and opened it.

“WHAT’S WRONG, PINKIE!?” Twilight yelled.

“TWILIGHT, COME QUICK! SOMETHING AWFUL, HORRIBLE, BAD, AHH!” Pinkie Pie shouted back.

“Pinkie! Relax, and tell me what happened!” Twilight insisted.

Pinkie inhaled.

“I was walking down the road when I heard a big CRASHY noise. When I looked I found the tree house went WOOSH! Applebloom, Sweetiebelle, and Scootaloo were all HURT and stuff!” Pinkie Pie said.

“What? Are they alright?” Twilight asked.

“I DON’T KNOW!!!” Pinkie Pie screamed.

Twilight and Pinkie Pie ran off to the Hospital.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applejack and Rarity sat alone in the waiting room.

“I just don’t understand it.” Applejack sniffed. “That treehouse was as sturdy as a fully grown apple tree.”

Twilight and Pinkie Pie ran in.

“What happened? Is everything alright?” Twilight asked.

“We don’t know yet.” Rarity said, sobbing.

“The doctor will come back and tell us how they are in a moment.” Applejack said.

The Doctor walked into the waiting room.

“Applejack and Rarity?” He called out.

“That’s us.” Applejack said.

“Ladies, I’m sorry to say, but they didn’t make it.” He said.

Twilight and Applejack gasped, Pinkie Pie’s hair deflated, and Rarity cried.

The door suddenly slammed open.

“Into darkness, I shall cast all. With a small show of strength, three will fall.” A voice said.

Twilight looked up. Derek and Majora had entered the room, and in broad daylight.

“Well, well. It looks like this prophecy is more literal than first thought..” Derek said.

Majora was in full armor, minus his helmet, and Derek had a saddle bag stuffed with books.

“Good Morning, everypony.” Majora said. “Ah, Twilight Sparkle.”

“YOU!” Twilight yelled.

“Indeed.” Majora replied.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?” She yelled.

“Investigating.” Derek said.

“Who are these funny lookin’ ponies?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“They’re from the Everfree forest.” Twilight said.

“THE EVERFREE FOREST!?” the others gasped.

“Oh, ha ha. Very funny.” Derek spat.

“Can one of you take us to where this all took place?” Majora asked.

Rarity ran up. “I will!” She said.

“O....K.” Majora said. “anypony ELSE want to take us to where this all happened?”

No one said a word. Everyone but Rarity was afraid of them.

Majora sighed. “Let’s go, miss.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~