• Published 26th Apr 2015
  • 1,432 Views, 86 Comments

Champion's Road - OmegaPony11



Aria Blaze lost everything when the Dazzlings tasted defeat thanks to the Rainbooms. She escapes the winter into a gym where she is given a chance to become a pro wrestler. The road is hard, but with friends, love, and suplexes, she can be a champ.

  • ...
10
 86
 1,432

Loaded

Aria awoke to throbbing shoulders and pins aching joints. Her shoulder still hurt from smashing it on the post after a failed attempt at a spear. She looked over to the clock on the side of her bed. Nine A.M. With a groan, she swung her feet over the edge of the bed and sauntered off to the kitchen to get some coffee going.

She did not sleep well the previous night thanks to images yesterday’s Tuesday Night SLAM stuck in her head. On the positive side, everyone in the back seemed impressed with her match with Octane until Konstance interfered. The crowd was into it, reportedly O’Cash was into it, and even the amazons in the back were into it.

As much as Aria wanted to be pleased with her performance, the fact that Konstance arrived in the flesh to torment her sent chills down her spine. She picked up a zip-up sweater and put it on just to feel a bit of warmth.

Opening the curtains, Aria frowned when she saw overcast. Maybe that was where the chill came from. In any event, Aria went to her kitchen to put on a pot of coffee. As the water started to boil, she picked up her phone to see if there were any messages.

Besides the usual request for her to see a doctor post-match, Aria found that her voicemail inbox filled with messages. She checked the sender in the history: all of them were from Sonata. Aria turned on the phone’s speaker and then went to work on getting some breakfast made.

The first message began to play. “Aria, it’s Sonata, I saw your match and I’m worried about you! The way you hit that post did not look good, and that big scary woman with the mask… I’ve never seen you so scared! Call me!”

The second message: “Aria, I know you must be really hurt after that match, but I’m worried about you, so if you could please call me that be great!”

Finally the last message played, this time from Sunset. “Aria, it’s Sunset. Sonata is beside herself with worry about you. Take care of your shoulder, but if you could, can you please call Sonata as soon as you can? I can’t bear to see her like this.”

Frustration marred Aria’s face as she turned the phone off right when the coffee machine was done with her morning brew. Sonata was such a baby sometimes. Aria was fine; after all she was the one who carried Octane out to the back. Her shoulder stung, but she could still move it. Thankfully she had a week to rest before the next SLAM event. Her shoulder would recover by then.

She poured the coffee into a purple mug and drank it black. Thumbing through the messages, Aria raised her brow as she got a message from O’Cash, rather than the head booker. It read:

I was very impressed with your match with Octane. I use her as a measuring stick to see where talent is and to judge their position on the card. With that said, and the nature that your match ended in a no contest, I am putting you and her in a tag team contest against the Coterie, Brujah and Salubri. I am looking forward to the result of your match. If you two can do so well against one another, I wonder how you two will do on a team.

You are showing yourself to be a good investment. Keep up the good work and the sky's the limit.

Aria leaned back on the counter, sipped her coffee, and thought about that matchup. She never met the Coterie before, so they were a couple of unknowns to her. Teaming with Octane did not sound so bad. They got along well enough in the locker room. Maybe they’d do well as a team? O’Cash did not make any mention of Konstance or her interference though.

Just as Aria was about to get to work on cooking her breakfast, the buzzer blared. She had a visitor. Aria grumbled at whoever bothered her this early in the morning. She walked over to the intercom and pressed the speak button.

“Who is it?” she asked curtly. She wasn’t in the mood for guests.

Aria, it’s me!” Sonata’s voice came through. Aria felt her headache grow in magnitudes. “You wouldn’t answer your phone so I got worried! I brought stuff to help you out. Please let me in?”

“Ugh,” Aria groaned, “Fine. But you are still the worst.”

Aria pressed a button that would allow the front entrance to unlock and within three minutes there came a knock at her door. She opened the door only for Sonata to drop her bags and throw her arms around Aria in a tight hug. As much as Aria wanted to appreciate the gesture, the pain in her shoulder said otherwise.

She called for Sonata to get off her and then rubbed the tender muscles on her arm. Sonata, looking apologetic, gently yet firmly sat Aria down on a chair and went for her bag.

“I brought hot packs and cold packs and even lukewarm packs,” she said, “as well as a bunch of other medicine Sunny said would help you. Have you eaten yet?”

Aria shook her head. Sonata winked and dashed to the kitchen. “Don’t worry then! I got this!”

Sonata moved like a blur in the kitchen leaving Aria to go through the bag of medical supplies. It appeared as if Sonata brought a whole pharmacy with her. Some of the implements looked useful like the hot packs. Some looked extreme like the bandages and the iodine. Others, like the cough medicine, really held no prevalence to her current condition.

“Cough syrup, upset stomach remedies… laxative?!” Aria looked at Sonata incredulously while the latter mixed eggs, spices, and vegetables in a bowl.

“In my line of work, you want people to be as regular as possible,” Sonata replied matter-of-factly, “Besides, I didn’t know if you had other problems besides the shoulder so I just brought everything I could fit in the bag.”

Aria sighed and put the bag on the counter then went over to see what Sonata worked on. Sonata moved with such deftness as to show her experience and training in the kitchen. She hummed a tune as she worked, though it was off-key and very sharp. Aria paused as she put more thought into Sonata’s humming; she could still hear the minute details of music, but could not sing herself.

Sonata dug around one of the cabinets and pulled out a frying pan. She then applied a small amount of butter and let the heat from the element melt it. Spreading it around the face of the pan, Sonata then poured her egg concoction onto the pan. A delightful smell of spices filled the air and Aria took a deep whiff of Sonata’s cooking. With the omelet on the pan, Sonata opened the fridge, grabbed some sliced whole wheat bread, and popped two slices into the toaster.

“How did you get good at cooking?” Aria asked, “Not like we ever had to cook before when we had our gems.”

Sonata had a blank look on her face, which meant she was deep in her own little world. “I don’t know,” she answered, “Once Sunny helped me get back on my feet, I went back to school. They had another one of their awesome Taco Tuesday’s, and you know how much I love tacos, so I wanted to learn how to make them for myself. Next I’m taking home ec courses and then applying for work experience at that restaurant. Turns out, I’m pretty good at it!”

With one hand on the handle, Sonata gave it a quick flick, tossing the omelet into the air and catching the uncooked side back onto the pan. “It’s all in the wrist.”

“Huh,” was Aria’s only response. The toast jumped out of the toaster into Sonata’s waiting hand and she applied a decent layer of strawberry jam onto the slices. She then slid the finished omelet onto a plate and served it to Aria.

With fork in hand, Aria sliced off a piece of the omelet and took a bite. Her eyes went wide as the flavours Sonata mixed together seemed to perform a symphony in her mouth. Everything about the simple meal worked in such a way that she found near indescribable. Aria looked up at Sonata and it took all of her willpower not to cry.

“This… this is amazing, Sonata!” Aria quickly began to eat her breakfast while Sonata smiled.

“I know, right?” Sonata straightened herself up. “Chef Flambé said I have a lot of promise. That I’m like a musician in the kitchen.”

When Aria finished her breakfast, Sonata offered her a glass of juice to wash it down. As she drank and Sonata worked on cleaning up, Aria found herself thinking about the other day and wondering if she should bring up her less-than-favourable meeting with Adagio. Sonata looked so happy and content right now; to bring up that Adagio claimed she was dead would ruin the mood.

Yet Aria thought Sonata deserved to know. They were once inseparable because they needed each other. Starswirl the Bearded threw them all into the mirror at once. The three were the only sirens-turned-humans in the world. At one point, they might have been friends.

“Sonata,” Aria said, her tone turning dour. “I found Adagio.”

The clatter in the sink of fork and plate falling from Sonata’s hands made Aria flinch. She then turned around and placed her hands on the table, leaning forward until she was almost nose to nose with Aria. Her eyes were wide with anticipation.

“You found her?!” Sonata exclaimed, “Where? How is she? Please tell me she’s ok!”

Aria never thought explaining where Adagio was would be so difficult, yet she found herself hesitating. She hardly believed who she met the other day herself. It just seemed so surreal to see Adagio brought to such a low. There was a time Aria thought Adagio would never be in the state she was in now.

Sonata deserved to know.

“Things…” Aria kept her gaze away from Sonata. She walked over to the window overlooking the balcony and thus the river. “Things are complicated, Sonata.”

“I’m not a kid, Ari,” Sonata said, a bit more defiantly this time. “Tell me what happened! Did you two get into another fight?”

“I didn’t want to!” Aria snapped. She took a breath to compose herself once she saw how upset Sonata looked. “I found her outside of a… outside of a strip club, OK? She was with some guy in a convertible. She looked really thin, like sickly thin. Gaunt. We did get into a fight. She’s… she’s still really angry about losing her singing voice. She then went into the club, and I had to get back to Parthenon for the show.”

Sonata slumped on the couch. Her eyes darted about as she tried to compute everything Aria told her. She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. Aria sat down beside Sonata and gentler wrapped an arm around her shoulders. They both sat in silent, yet shared disbelief for several long minutes.

“Adagio is strong,” Sonata said, breaking the quiet. “She’s tough. She always has a plan. This… this doesn’t sound like her at all! Maybe you found this world’s Adagio and not ours?”

Aria shook her head. “I wish it were the case, but she recognized me. Laid into me pretty good too. I deserve it though. I did walk out on her. I was just so frustrated. I don’t know what to do now.”

Sonata regarded the gloomy skies through the windows in silence. They simply sat together when Sonata suddenly stood up.

“I know what I have to do,” Sonata said with a new fire in her eyes. “I’m going to find Adagio and make her see reason!”

Aria looked at Sonata with a blank expression. As much as she wanted to be hopeful, this was Sonata she was looking at. Sonata, nice as she was now, could at the best of times be called a toolbox short of a screwdriver. Still, Aria would not dissuade her course of action considering how much of a disaster she enacted.

“If you think you can do it, I won’t stop you,” Aria said, “Just be careful. She’s working at a strip joint now. Not exactly the most civil of places.”

“I’ll be fine,” Sonata said with a smile. “I’ll get Sunny to help me. Besides, Adagio will never expect the two of us at the same time. We’ll talk to her. You just worry about your career right now.”

“Speaking of which… That match was super exciting, but why did that masked giant suddenly appear and attack your opponent? Why did she just stare at you like a monster?”

Because she is a monster, Aria wanted to say, but the chill that ran down her spine silenced her. She wanted to know why Konstance attacked Octane as well. Why she did so, Aria could only guess. In any event, she would deal with Konstance in the ring. For now, she focused her attention on Sonata.

“I’ll find out,” Aria said, “Octane will be fine though, I think. She’s been in this business a lot longer. They all have. Sometimes I think this still is some lucid and painful dream.”

“But it’s real, Ari,” Sonata said, her face still holding that infectious smile. “Dreams are nice, but I think life is better. Even though it has its ups and downs, the ups in life are always so worth it. Making friends with you again. Cooking a delicious meal. Being in Sunset’s arms. Kissing Sunset…”

Aria made a face by sticking out her tongue. “Gah, I don’t need to hear the details between you two,” she said though with a playful tone. “But I can see you are crazy about her.”

“Well duh!” Sonata pulled her phone out of her handbag and quickly found a picture of her and Sunset. “I mean, just look at her! Those beautiful eyes that simply scream ‘passion’, that hair like rays of the sun…”

Aria rolled her eyes and got up from the couch and headed to the bedroom so she could change. She quickly donned clean jeans and a yellow shirt before returning to see Sonata still espousing the many facets of Sunset.

At one point, Aria would have been jealous of seeing Sonata so happy. The two really never got along when they were sirens simply due to their nature as predators. Hunger for emotions drove them and little else. Now that they were human permanently, Aria wondered if her very nature changed at the realization. Sonata adjusted rather well.

Maybe that was Adagio’s problem? Maybe she did not adjust to losing her siren essence. It took a while for Aria to adjust. If Adagio could not, then Aria could see how that would just compound on her already volatile emotional state.

It was the only conclusion Aria could reach about Adagio. Getting to such a point only made her feel worse about leaving her.

Still, she could not dwell on such thoughts forever. It was high time Aria got going on her day. She took an aspirin to help with the pain from her shoulder, and then gathered up her coat.

“I have to go to the ACW doctor for my post match check-up,” Aria said. “Why don’t we just hang out today afterwards? It won’t take long.”

Sonata smiled once more and nodded enthusiastically. With that contagious smile now infecting her own face, Aria left her home with Sonata by her side. The weather may be cold and gloomy and the shadow of Konstance loomed over her, but Aria felt warmth from Sonata that helped her more than any flame could.

***

Aria laced up her boots to get ready for the next match when Octane bounced up to her. She had a wide grin on her face as she hopped on her feet. “I’m so excited! Are you excited because I am I can’t wait to tag with you, we are going to be so good and we are going to take out the Coterie and their dumb weird fake vampire nonsense and—“

“Octane.” Aria interrupted her tag team partner knowing that she would go on in she let her. “This is still new to me. One, I’ve never been in a tag team match before, so I don’t know what to expect. There’s still the whole ‘I’m being stalked by Konstance Paine’ thing. You seem to be doing alright, considering you took a chokeslam.”

Octane simply shrugged. “Wasn’t the first time, not likely to be the last time but I do wish she wouldn’t be so mean but that’s kind of her thing you know with the whole crazy insane doll-face mask, I wonder why she wears that. Anyways, we’re up against the Coterie which means we're facing off against the gothic tabletop rejects, Brujah and Salubri.”

Aria had to admit that she was impressed Octane managed to stop her own run on sentences as she slid the kickpads over her shins. Once they were secure, Aria stood up and stretched her arms. Octane focused on stretching her quadriceps muscles.

“This is your first tag team match?” Octane said, looking up at the ceiling in thought. “I can give you the run down real quick. First, you have to hold on to the tag tope in our corner or else the tag won’t count, oh and the referee either has to see or hear the tag, he’ll make a gesture that the tag is made, and don’t forget we have a five second grace period where we can both be in the ring at the same time so we can do some awesome double-team moves and definitely don’t forget that if either of us is in trouble we can jump in and break a pin or a submission, but we can only do it once per match so pick your spot carefully because if we do it too many times then the ref will DQ us and that won’t look good on anyone’s record sheet.”

Aria blinked at the slew of rules for the tag team contest, but she thought she got the gist of things. The only thing that concerned her was the fact that Konstance Paine was in the arena tonight, but Aria did not know where. Everyone she asked all confirmed her fears: that Konstance stalked the halls, but otherwise they did not know where she was going. Not like Aria could ask anyone to follow the walking nightmare anyways.

“I want to ask something,” Aria said as she raised one finger. “And I want you to answer it in ten words or less. How does someone like Konstance fit in around here? Does she just show up, chokeslam people, and then leave?”

“More or less,” Octane replied as she adjusted her top. She raised her hand to count her words. “She’s big and strong and she’s money.”

Aria looked at Octane quizzically. “What do you mean?”

“I mean, she does what she wants when she wants because she’s a draw because I think people like big freaky girls wearing masks, maybe because I think some of them might think it’s kinky, but she’s also a really tough wrestler to be in the ring with and she’s really good, but she doesn’t go for too many championships and only a few people can really stand up to her like Ice Cold, though Terra Rysing took the ACW National title from her, but that was a brutal match that sent Konstance away for a few months but I heard she came back for an open challenge and—“

Aria raised her hand to get Octane to stop. “I get it, I get it. I was the one at the open challenge.”

Octane gasped incredibly loudly, enough to make the other wrestlers in the locker room take notice. “You were the one who lasted the longest? We heard about it but wow, for a complete rookie… I mean, you were greener than green! To last three minutes against Konstance, fresh off the streets…”

A loud cough caught both Aria and Octane’s attention. They looked to see the booker pointing at the schedule. It was time for their tag team match. They both got up and headed down the corridors towards the Gorilla position. When they arrived, Aria noticed that the other tag team, the Coterie, were nowhere to be seen. Then again, they remained in Locker Room B and so she never met either Brujah or Salubri.

“Where are our opponents?” Aria asked.

“The Coterie will make their appearance after your entrance,” she replied, “theirs is… unique. Just get ready for the signal. Commercial is ending soon.”

Aria nodded and began to bounce on her toes to stay warmed up. As they waited, Octane looked to the booker. “Hey, so I was wondering about this Sunday…?”

“The card is finalized, so you should be in the Grand Melee match as typical, Octane.” The booker shook her head and began to walk off. “You need to start winning some high profile matches if you want on the Hades pay-per-view, however. By the way you’ve been going, you won’t even make Wrestlelysium.”

Octane’s face fell, but she remained surprisingly silent considering the rather harsh criticism. Then again, as far as Aria knew, she did lose back-to-back matches with Vesper Adder.

She then thought about Sunday. Sunday meant a pay-per-view, a marquee event for the company. Aria tried to remember what the event was called, but could not recall the name. Playing dumb, she asked the booker, “Do I have a match Sunday?”

The booker looked to her tablet and then nodded. “You do, Miss Blaze. You are entered into the Grand Melee as well. Straight from O’Cash’s desk. This is an excellent opportunity, regardless of the outcome.”

This really was an opportunity of a lifetime. What would people say if the rookie Aria Blaze won the Grand Melee? Could she win? The odds were astronomical, but what were odds to a chance at being the champion she sought to be?

A gloved hand lay gently on her shoulder. Aria turned to look at Octane as the latter gave her a comforting smile with her kind eyes. She did not say a word but Aria heard the message loud and clear. Octane believed in her, not just because of the match tonight, but that she could take on Konstance. It felt nice to have someone believe in her like Sonata did, or Sunset, or any of her other friends. Adagio never believed in her. She just barked orders and took all the credit for their schemes.

Thoughts of Adagio did not help Aria’s already fragile mood. Sonata said she would try to talk to Adagio, but Aria didn't think she would have any more luck with the situation then she did. In any event, her match was coming up soon. With Octane bouncing at her side, the two prepared for the upcoming tag team match. The stagehand beckoned for Octane to come out first. Aria would come out second, then the Coterie.

Octane gave Aria thumbs up and stepped through the curtain, just in time for the roar of an engine to rip through the arena eliciting cheers from the crowd. Aria wondered how, even after two straight losses and a no-contest, the crowd continued to stay behind Octane. Was it her energy? Did she have some sort of secret charisma? She never heard Octane on the microphone. Then again, Aria never had promo time before. How would she be at delivering a speech in front of a live crowd?

Aria heard the announcer from behind the curtain. “The following tag team contest is scheduled for one fall! Making her to the ring! OCTANE!”

When Octane finished her entrance, the stagehand signalled for Aria to get ready. As “This Fire Burns” began to play over the arena speakers, Aria emerged from the curtains and back into the Parthenon arena proper. The crowd sounded even louder than last week; maybe they were into the match she had with Octane. In any event, now the two would team up against the Coterie.

“Her tag team partner! ARIA! BLAZE!”

Aria went through the motions, posing on the stage, walking down the ramp, jumping over the top rope, and then performing another pose on the turnbuckle. When she finished her entrance, she joined Octane in their corner. Octane raised her hand for a high-five and Aria reciprocated. The crowd then grew silent.

The silence got to Aria as she waited for the Coterie to arrive. Octane just bounced in her corner. Did something hold them up? Why were they not in the gorilla position like everyone else?

The arena lights suddenly dimmed and replaced with a scarlet glow. A low, brooding tune sounded from the speakers while a ring of fire formed on the stage. Aria watched that spot carefully as the crowd started to boo.

The music picked up a faster tempo, incorporating drums and guitars. On a platform that raised itself upwards in the ring of fire, two athletic women emerged, both of them bearing long fangs in their mouth. One looked like a biker complete with tattered jeans, a black muscle shirt, and leather jacket. Her long black hair framed a grey-skinned face. The other wore blue wrestling tights with a red ankh on the left leg and matching top. She had her hands up against her forehead like a triangle. As they walked down the ramp, Aria saw that the woman was bald save for long white hair that started at the back of her head and trailed down her back. A third eye was painted on her forehead.

“Approaching the ring! BRUJAH AND SALUBRI! THE COTERIE!”

“The biker babe is Brujah and three-eyes is Salubri,” Octane said, her voice low but loud enough for Aria to hear. “Brujah likes to brawl, but Salubri is the more technical of the two so just watch out for her. I’ll start the match since I’ve tangoed with these two before.”

Aria looked at Octane with surprised at her rather normal conversation speed. Perhaps she simply entered a serious mode of thinking when in the ring? It did not matter as Aria stepped under the top rope and took her spot on the apron. She held on to the tag rope as if it were a lifeline.

Both of the vampires walked up the steel steps and into the ring. Brujah tried to be intimidating by baring her fangs, as she walked past Aria and up towards the turnbuckle. Salubri climbed the turnbuckle opposite of her partner. Both posed with their arms outstretched, their bodies posed to look like the ankhs they wore on their attire.

Brujah and Salubri went back to their corners, with Brujah starting the match for the Coterie. Octane bounced on her toes as the referee stepped up between the two teams.

“Are you ready?” She asked Octane and Aria. Both nodded in the positive.

“Are you ready?” She asked the Coterie. Salubri nodded slowly while Brujah roared like an animal. Satisfied, the referee called for the bell.

DING DING DING

Octane patted Aria on the back and motioned for her to stay on the apron. Aria looked on at the Coterie, namely the brutal biker Brujah and relented to her partner. Octane had more experience and skills. It made sense that she should start the contest. She stepped between the ropes and hung back by the post. Just as Octane said earlier, Aria took hold of the tag rope and watched as Octane got the match started with Brujah.

The two locked up in a collar and elbow hold, but Brujah, the bigger of the two, easily converted the hold into a headlock. Brujah wrenched the hold, twisting the skin of Octane’s neck and kept her head in a tight grip. Looking at Aria with fearsome red eyes, Brujah bared her fangs as she wound up and smacked Octane on the top of the head with a hard fist. The strike took Octane off her feet and down to the ground where she held on to the top of her skull.

“Come on Octane!” Aria called out, stomping her foot in some effort to get Octane to rally. Brujah sauntered over to Aria and with an act of sheer disrespect, slapped her across the face.

“Stupid rookie,” she said through her prosthetic fangs, “You don’t belong here.”

Aria stepped under the top rope, incensed by the sheer audacity Brujah showed, only to be stopped by the ref. The ref argued that Aria could not step inside the ring or else he would disqualify her team. Yet as Aria was pushed back, she saw Salubri enter the squared circle and deliver a vicious stomp to Octane’s back, keeping the high-flyer down.

“Damn it, ref, behind you!” Aria shouted.

“Right now you’re my problem!” The ref fired back, “Stay in your corner unless you want to be DQ’d!”

Brujah lifted Octane to her feet and threw her to the ropes with an Irish whip. Octane rebounded off the ropes and as she neared the waiting Brujah, faced the receiving end of a release suplex that sent her skidding across the mat.

With an almost feral smile that once more bared her fangs, Brujah snatched up Octane and threw her into the Coterie’s corner. Brujah slapped Salubri’s waiting hand and the referee acknowledged the legal tag. Brujah raised Octane’s arm, exposing the body of which Salubri took full advantage by delivering a hard kick to Octane’s side. As Octane reeled from the blow, Brujah took up a position on the apron as Salubri hoisted Octane into the air and dropped her with a sidewalk slam. With Octane planted, Salubri hooked the leg to make the pin.

“ONE!”

“TWO!”

Aria cringed at the impending loss, but Octane managed to get the shoulder up in time. Octane rolled onto her front and took hard laboured breaths while Salubri got back to her feet. Extending her arm, Aria called out for Octane to make the tag. If she was going to lose, she’d rather be seeing the lights because of her own mistakes, not because of someone else taking the fall.

Salubri turned to look at Aria and like Brujah bared her fangs at Aria. This small moment to intimidate Aria gave Octane an opportunity to break into a run towards the ropes. She rebound and when Salubri turned, her head was suddenly caught between Octane’s shins. Using her entire body to shift momentum, Octane tossed Salubri to the mat with a hurricanrana. Salubri arched her back from the slam. Octane landed next to her corner, reached up, and made the tag to Aria.

As Aria stepped between the ropes, Salubri managed to prop herself onto her hands and make the leaping tag to Brujah. Aria looked over at the brutal Brujah, took a deep breath, and charged towards her opponent, throwing caution to the wind. Brujah extended her arm for a clothesline, but Aria had the sense to duck under the attack. She then pivoted on her heel and turned and just as Brujah did the same, Aria took to the air with a drop kick. Both of her boots connected with Brujah’s chest, dropping the would-be vampire to the canvas.

Brujah grumbled as she stood up, turning her baleful gaze towards Aria. What she did not expect was Aria to rush towards her after bouncing off the ropes. Aria took the air with her leg outstretched and dropped it onto Brujah’s shoulder blades, driving her into the mat. With Brujah face down, Aria turned the larger woman over and hooked the leg for the pin.

“ONE!”

“TWO!”

Brujah did not just kick out, but kicked out such force that Aria almost flew across the ring. She rolled until she made her way back to her front to see Brujah turn onto her stomach. She bared her fangs again and snapped back to her feet. Aria thought she hurt Brujah, but all she did was make her mad.

She gave her corner a quick look and saw that Octane held on to the second rope breathing deep. She was in no shape to take a tag. Aria was stuck in the ring with an angry vampire wrestler. Brujah advances and took hold of Aria collar-and-elbow. With a wrenching throw, Brujah tossed Aria across the canvas. As Aria tried to recover, Brujah grabbed Aria and lifted her as if to drop her in a vertical suplex. However, unlike the kind of suplexes Aria used, Brujah stalled the suplex by holding Aria in the air. She thought of kicking about, doing something, but at that height, she could get hurt by landing awkwardly.

She felt her body shift as Brujah, after several seconds, finally began the body drop to complete the suplex. Aria braced herself for the fall, tightening up her shoulder blades.

The impact came swiftly and with force. Aria’s back crashed into the mat with a thunderous roar. She arched her back and kicked her feet from the blow, only for Brujah to plant her forearm against Aria’s face and then hooked the leg.

“ONE!”

“TWO!”

Even though Brujah planted Aria, she still managed to slip her shoulder up to prevent the three count. Brujah hissed at the referee before grabbing Aria’s arm and dragging her to her feet. Dazed, Aria could not resist as Brujah whipped her back to the Coterie’s corner. Aria looked up to see Brujah make the tag with Salubri. The bald wrestler stepped between the ropes and grabbed Aria’s right arm while Brujah tightened her grip on her left.

Both members of the Coterie whipped Aria to the ropes. She instinctively rebounded even though the strength both used meant she almost sprinted across the ring. As she rebounded, the pair delivered a well-timed gut kick that made Aria keel over in pain. They doubled up on the damage to her abdominal by both of them lifting Aria into the air and performing a team gutbuster.

Aria never felt anything like it and wished she never had. Her stomach filled with her agony and she moaned from the pain, clutching her gut as Salubri turned her over to go for the pin. She did not think she had the will to break the attempt. Brujah made her way back to her corner so that the referee could begin the count.

“ONE!”

“TWO!”

Aria could not raise her arm, her focus completely on her hurting stomach. Thankfully, the referee was not able to make the final count as Octane dropped a padded elbow right on Salubri to break the pin. The referee stopped the count and stood up to shout a warning at Octane to get back to her corner. Salubri shot up to her feet and went after Aria’s partner, but did not get far since the ref stood in her way. With Salubri distract, Aria took a deep breath and pushed the pain away. She needed to continue the match.

Salubri turned and Aria knew she only had a few scant moments to capitalize. Getting back to one knee, Aria rushed towards Salubri and pushed against her with her shoulder. Having caught her by surprise, Aria lifted her with a fireman’s carry and quickly dropped Salubri onto her back with the Death Valley Driver. Her brief stint of adrenaline failed there, then, and Aria fell over onto her back while Salubri remained grounded.

On one side, Octane reached out towards Aria, screaming for her to get up. On the opposite end, Brujah did the same, roaring for Salubri to get back.

Both Aria and Salubri rolled onto their fronts and started to head towards their partners. Aria’s vision blurred, but she could hear Octane’s voice despite the ringing in her ears and roar of the crowd. Octane looked around at the crowd and began to clap while still holding the tag string. As she clapped, the crowd began to join her until the Parthenon arena rumbled like thunder with the sound of clapping hands.

Aria felt their energy in the air. Her vision returned. She was so close. All she needed to do was get that one last push.

Propping herself onto her feet, Aria leaped forward and made the tag to Octane. As the ref counted it as legal, Salubri managed to crawl her way to Brujah and tag her in while Octane already jumped over the top rope.

Unlike their first exchange, Octane did not become victim to Brujah’s great strength once more. As Brujah rushed for a short run clothesline, Octane ducked under it and jumped for an enziguri kick that landed against Brujah’s face. The kick knocked Brujah aside, but Salubri did not go back to her corner as Aria thought she should. Instead, Salubri shouted and charged herself.

Octane, showing her experience in the ring, lashed out with a hard superkick that connected with Salubri’s jaw. Salubri fell over backwards and rolled under the ropes. As Octane struck, Aria saw that Brujah recovered from her own damage and quickly menaced Octane.

With a stiff kick that connected against Octane’s stomach, Brujah took hold of Octane’s midsection as the latter keeled over from the blow. Lifting Octane up above her head, Brujah held the speedster aloft across her back, extending Octane’s arms as if they were like outstretched wings. Brujah faced the hard camera, laughing up the fact that victory seemed certain. She did not see Aria prop herself up against the turnbuckle.

If Aria wanted to keep this match in their favour, she needed to move quickly.

Aria burst into a sprint, a missile headed to her target. Before Brujah could have a chance to react, Aria slammed into her with a vicious Spear tackle. The Spear connected and dropped Brujah flat on her back with a massive thud, keeping her down, while Octane fell over backwards onto her side. Aria, still aching from the double gutbuster, rolled out of the way until she reached the ring ropes. She would have made the pin, but she was not the legal woman of their team.

Taking hold of the bottom rope, Aria managed to pull herself up to a sitting position. “Octane!” Aria called out. “Finish it!”

Octane looked to Aria, then to Brujah, to Salubri who was still on the floor, then back to Brujah. She moved swiftly towards the corner opposite of Salubri, stepping between the ropes to the apron. Climbing the turnbuckles, Octane perched herself precariously on the top rope. She took a huge breath of air while the crowd cheered even louder.

As she stood on the top ropes, Octane looked… uncertain. Hesitant. Aria saw that Brujah stirred and moved her limbs weakly. On the outside, Salubri grabbed at the bottom rope but still did not make her way back into the ring. If Octane did not finish things soon, one of the Coterie would ruin their golden opportunity at victory.

“Octane!” Aria shouted, “You can do it, but you have to do it now!”

Something seemed to snap Octane out of her stupor and her determination returned. From the top rope, Octane stood tall and then took to the air. She made a flip that saw her body move in a complete four hundred and fifty degrees before landing with a splash right on top of Brujah. Brujah’s body reacted by coiling on itself, bringing both of her legs up right for Octane to hook for the pin.

“ONE!”

“TWO!”

“THREE!”

DING DING DING

On the receiving end of two finishing maneuvers, Brujah could not kick out of Octane’s pin. Octane’s theme song played on the arena sound system to a roar of cheers. Octane breathed heavily as she registered the fact that the referee was holding her arm up. Aria shook her head yet could not help but smile. Getting upright, Aria joined Octane in the center of the ring.

The announcer brought the microphone to her lips:

“Here are your winners, the team of OCTANE and ARIA! BLAZE!”

With the announcement made, the referee raised both of their arms into the air. As Aria tried to settle down, Octane quickly pulled her into a very tight hug. Aria looked and saw that her partner still could not believe she won. Was her losing streak really that bad before Aria’s debut?

On the ramp, Brujah and Salubri took large laboured breaths as they stared at the ring in disbelief. Such turned to anger as they pointed to Aria and Octane and shouted threats of vengeance. Such words fell on deaf ears as Aria and Octane celebrated their victory.

Yet while they reveled, Aria kept an eye on the stage for the eventual arrival of Konstance Paine. Yet, as she kept vigilant, Konstance did not appear. There was no grand pyrotechnic display, no haunting metal track to signify her arrival.

“Aria?” Octane asked, her eyes filled with concern. “You ok?”

“Konstance,” Aria replied, “She’s out there, isn’t she?”

Octane quickly looked behind her as if the nightmare would simply appear behind them. The crowd continued to cheer, but not like the pop Konstance garnered last week.

She shook her head and stepped between the ropes. “I don’t think she’s coming. “The Grand Melee is this Sunday. That’s the big focus, and even Konstance knows not to divert attention from it to her. If anything, I’d be careful at the Melee. She will enter and she will gun for you then.”

Aria swallowed hard as she left the ring and made her way to the back. She saw the cameras follow her, specifically focused on her rather haunted expression. She wondered what the commentators said right now as they watched her leave. She did not look into the cameras, preferring not to draw attention to her own terror.

Konstance lurked in the background, and she would make her presence known at the Grand Melee. Aria needed to be prepared to face a terror in the middle of a battlefield.

Author's Note:

Aria Blaze
Theme: This Fire Burns - Killswitch Engage
Professional Record: 4-1, 1 NC
Signature Moves: Death Valley Driver, Springboard Moonsault
Finisher: Spear

Octane
Face
Theme: Motor City - Dale Oliver
Signature: Super Kick, Atomic Drop, Frankensteiner
Finisher: Full Throttle (450 Splash)
Three years with ACW

THE COTERIE
Brujah
Heel
Theme: Chiasm - Isolated
Signature: Snap Neckbreaker, Stalling Suplex
Finisher: Death Ankh (Crucifix Powerbomb)
2-Time ACW Tag Team Champion
Member of the Coterie
Three years with ACW

Salubri
Heel
Theme: Chiasm - Isolated
Signature: Inverted DDT, Electric Chair Facebuster
Finisher: Crucifix Crossface
2-Time ACW Tag Team Champion
Member of the Coterie
Three years with ACW

Comments ( 12 )

this story gets better everytime

YAY! Octane finally won a match!

OH YEAH THAT WAS AWESOME.

For some reason this song popped into my head for Octane's theme

And I know you said Sonata wouldn't step into the ring but this would be her intro theme if she did:

Of course I can't leave Sunset out of the equation:

Well, this is certainly an interesting read, and pretty different as well. If ever I were to imagine one MLP character lacing up a pair of boots, there is only one obvious choice to instantly come to mind, and that is Rainbow Dash. Followed by a handful of others. One of the Dazzlings though, I would probably never even have considered, so I give you props for choosing someone like Aria and actually managing to pull it off.

Now, as for criticisms, first and foremost what I have to point out is your writing. Grammar errors, typos, and clumsy sentences that could be worded better abound throughout your story. For a lot of readers--myself included--that's usually cause to stop reading. In fact, I doubt I'd have made it past the first chapter of Champion's Road were it not for the simple fact that there were no other EQG wrestling fanfics to choose from. I highly recommend having a beta reader look over and edit for you. A sloppily written story makes it look to some people that you don't really care about what you're writing about, and if you don't, then why should the reader?

That said, when I was able to look past all the sloppiness, there was an undeniably interesting wrestling drama underneath. Your knowledge and love of the industry shows throughout, but more importantly, watching Aria's transformation and budding friendship with a tough but generous former superstar that sees something in her was quite enjoyable. In fact, I've grown pretty fond of Ol' Roza. She's charming and funny, and while she's outwardly tough and kind of a hardass, her generosity and willingness to help Aria has forever painted her as a big sweetheart in my mind. As far as OCs go, she's very well-rounded and overall a strong part of your story. Konstance Pain also makes for a very formidable antagonist, and like your other readers I can't help but wonder who might be behind that mask. As for your other OCs, it's hard to say right now. The only other one we've really got a good impression of is Octane, and while she's certainly charming it's hard not to draw comparisons between her and Pinkie.

Something I wish we could have seen more of are establishing friendship moments between Aria and the Mane Six. For the most part, many of them seem like they're just kind of there. We know they're all buddies with Aria now, but we didn't really get to see her warm up to each of them, save for Fluttershy, Rarity, and maybe Pinkie. The scene when Aria went to Rarity for help designing her wrestling attire was a prime example of the kind of bonding I'd have liked to see more of. It was funny, cute, and a little touching all at the same time. Fluttershy in particular, who started out as a pretty important catalyst to Aria's reformation in the beginning, seems to have disappointingly been cast to the side. Then there's Rainbow Dash. The two have had almost no interaction with each other, but due to the fact that they're both gifted athletes, I can't help but feel there's amazing potential for a friendly but competitive bonding moment between them that's not being acted upon. But now it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what to write. Sorry about that.

Lastly, is the thing this story all boils down to in the end: the wrestling. Heavy action is always tricky to write, and that goes doubly so for wrestling. Due to its fast yet technical nature, it's hard to translate it well to the page; a basic move like a suplex, which takes mere seconds to perform in the ring, can take a paragraph to explain in a story. After a while, it becomes a chore to read--something I experienced firsthand when Aria's wrestling career started to take off. Things that I normally enjoy watching on TV, such as entrances and dramatic two-counts, become very repetitive by about the third consecutive chapter.

I don't know if there is any perfect way to write the action that goes on inside a wrestling ring, but I believe there are a number of things you can add in and cut out in order to make Aria's matches equal parts more exciting and less repetitive. For starters, we don't need to know every time "This Fire Burns" hits and Aria comes out and does her poses. We also don't need to read the ref counting "ONE! TWO!" during almost every pin attempt; just save that for the dramatic kick-outs. Also, if one match isn't particularly important, we don't even need to read about the whole thing. Maybe start telling it halfway through or close to the end. This will be particularly effective if something important is supposed to happen after or during the match, such as Konstance's unexpected appearance on SLAM.

As for things you can do to keep the action feeling fresh, maybe let us see what's being said at ringside at the commentary table from time to time, particularly if the commentators have as interesting banter as J.R. and the King did. Also, I notice you have a tendency to put emphasis on the pain experienced from moves and bumps. You like to show us how Aria is feeling when she gets slammed on her back, or kicked in her gut, but what if she got attacked in some way that would actually hinder her performance? A rake to the eyes, a kick to the knee, a stomp to the arm! There are a lot of ways you can up the tension by taking away her ability to see clearly for a time, or not being able to successfully grab an opponent to do that move she's trying to do because her arm is numb. Another important factor in every match: the crowd itself. Thus far the fans have been consistently on Aria's side. She's used to their love and praise, but how might she handle it as a rookie when suddenly she's thrown up against a crowd favorite and the fans become biased against her? How difficult would it be for her to drown out their suddenly hostile reactions and focus on the match?

I know you promised a match every chapter, but not only do I think that's unnecessary, I also think you could benefit more by giving both Aria and the readers a break from time to time. Let us see more of the busy life of a wrestler outside the ring, as opposed to just mentioning the other things she has to do. These scenes could also give you more opportunities to up the ante in the next match that Aria does have. Maybe a routine visit to her doctor results in a bandaged limb that will be an obvious target for her next opponent. Maybe she makes a promise to win her next match to a sweet young fan at an autograph signing, and now the pressure is on not to disappoint. There are lots of possibilities at your disposal.

Maybe these are all things you've already given thought to or planned out, and I'm just getting ahead of myself. I don't know how long you intend this story to be, after all. But given that Adagio's been found and Aria's pretty well established as a rising prospect, I'm guessing you're at the very least at the halfway point, if not a little further.

In any case, have a like and a favorite. I've grown rather fond of wrestler Aria, and I hope her story is one you'll see through to its end.

Oh, and for a little bit of fun, here's what I think would be a great theme for a hype video featuring the inevitable clash between Aria and Konstance. This one always stuck with me, mainly because the hype vid for Cena and Edge's TLC match was so well done and epic.

This should be Aria's theme after she finally beats Konstance in the ring

7254350 Ok, one month later but I'll try to get a proper response. First and foremost, thank you very much for your excellent critique. It really pointed out the flaws... of which there are many. I apologise for the long wait. Things have been rough. I'll go through things point by point. Makes it easier.

First, and a minor point, but originally it was going to be Rainbow Dash lacing up a pair of boots and entering the squared circle. However, two things prevented this. First, originally the story was going to be set in Equestria and everyone was a pony. However, for whatever reason I could not wrap my head around wrestling and grappling with hooves (yet I can write ponies using bows. My head is weird.) The second is simply me watching Equestria Girls Rainbow Rocks, seeing Aria, and acting like an agent in casting agency. "That's her! That's my star!" I like where the story went though.

Now for your first part. I think this bit the hardest out of your critique. I take pride in my writing and the very idea of typos really smacked me around. I do have someone who gets first crack at the chapters but they just focus on the concept rather than the writing. Sometimes they spot the most glaring issues, but most often I give it my own combover. I'll be the first to admit I am a terrible editor, its why I don't edit for anyone (that and I'd never get any writing done). Obviously a thing I need to work on.

I'm glad you are enjoying the story, despite the myriad of flaws. I'm glad the OC's are coming off well, especially Roza. I'm going to have to think very hard about how to differentiate Octane from being compared to Pinkie Pie too much, I think. Same with Ice Cold and Applejack later in the story. I don't want them to be expies of characters already in the story, but the comparisons will be made and often, I think.

As for interactions with the Mane Six Plus Sunset, I think I could have done more in the developmental/training stages where such interactions were taking place but I admit I rushed so the story could get to the wrestling. Interacting with Rainbow Dash should be a priority though and now I'm getting ideas for a future chapter. However, I will say that the interactions with the Mane Six will continue to be minimum. They are not the focal point, after all, but more additions to the Sirens getting back into their own destinies.

In regards to the matches themselves, I do see your point that some of the actions like ref counts, though I think the entrances can stay. I just need to do something different with them. Maybe Aria's thoughts about her opponent or something. I just like having the announcer do her thing as I feel it helps with the wrestling match feel. I do plan on having commentary in some matches as they would be those as viewed on TV by characters like Sonata. As far as the crowd is concerned, they are currently with Aria due to her being a face initially and facing the likes of heels and enhancement talent, but there will be situations of Aria facing bigger faces, just not currently. Konstance is the current feud and like the Big Red Machine who she takes after, she goes to the beat of her own twisted drum.

And yes, there doesn't have to be a match every chapter, but as this is her early days with the company, it is important for her to be constantly seen. While in this world there is no kayfabe, constant presence is still important especially leading up to the equivalent to Wrestlemania, the not-so-cleverly titled Wrestlelysium, but every Tuesday doesn't have to have a match. I do plan to have Aria do other activities soon, like photo ops and filming segments for her entrance video. At the same time, there will be more focus on Sonata reaching out to Adagio as part of that side story.

Is this the halfway point? ...No. Not even close.

I hope this covers everything. You are right, I do love the business of professional wrestling and wanted to show said love with a story like this. The flaws are many, but I do strive to improve as a writer. I want this story to work, just like I wanted Pony Age: Origins to work. Still unsure if it worked or not, but hey, that's not what we're here for.

Once more, I appreciate your criticism and will use it in future writing and again, I apologise for the late response. I hope you still manage to enjoy this story and I will look forward to your future words, should you have them.

7344002 Not a problem! I know I was a bit nitpicky over everything, but I didn't mean to make you feel like your story as a whole was flawed. Despite all my nitpicks, this is still an incredibly interesting story you have going, and as such I'd love for you to be able to squeeze every ounce of potential you can out of it.

Again, pretty interesting how you came to choose Aria, but you've done well with her, and I've enjoyed reading her journey thus far. I'm actually pretty glad you chose her in the end. Means I can still do a wrestling story about Dash without worrying I might be ripping someone else's story off :rainbowlaugh:

I also agree very well that Champion's Road is about the Aria and the Dazzlings, which is why I was a bit hesitant to point out interactions with the Mane Six as a flaw. That said, I'm pretty excited to see what exchange you have in store for Aria and Rainbow. Hope it's not too terribly long before we get to see your next chapter.

In any case, I'll definitely be keeping up with every new chapter you post, be assured of that. I wish I could offer to help with editing, but I'm afraid I have a horrible habit of becoming distracted--a primary reason I've yet to post a story of my own to this site.

P.S. - I didn't realize you did a Dragon Age story, too. Seems we have a couple of likes in common besides just MLP. Might have to take a look at that one sometime!

I hope you haven't forgotten this story. I'ts my favorite Aria fic. and Aria fics are the best.

7422869 I haven't forgotten, just my workload has increased greatly. Coincidentally, around the time I started writing a freaking Royal Rumble. Not easy.

Hopefully I can get stuff done soon.

7424876

No worries. As long as you haven't forgotten. Quality takes time.

Update?

Login or register to comment