• Published 19th Apr 2015
  • 692 Views, 9 Comments

Nightmare in Equestria - Paragon Knight



With her sister banished to the moon, Celestia believes she will have to face the threat alone. But an unexpected ally will come to her aide to protect the pony kingdom.

  • ...
1
 9
 692

Chapter I

The azure blue unicorn mage discontinued his dream watching spell as he lost his connection to Summer Stone’s dream. He also was feeling the pain Summer Stone felt when his magic became interrupted by whatever that thing was that attacked her.

“Mr. Starswirl sir, are you alright?” Asked one of the unicorn guards when they came rushing in to see if he was hurt.

“Yes, I am fine.” Answered Starswirl holding a hoof on his head.

“And what about the mare?”

Starswirl looked at the now still form of Summer Stone’s body. This is the sixth pony this year to have died like this. He thought to himself.

He felt horrible for not being able to figure out who the culprit is. For the past ten years since he took over this case, it has been unsolved. Even after all these years Starswirl hoped that he would have something by now, but he did not.

“There is nothing I can do for her now, she is lost in her own nightmare.” Replied Starswirl sadly.

“What do you wish to do next sir?” Asked one of the guards.

“Bring in the witness. I have some questions I would like to ask him.”

The two unicorn guards quickly retreated from the room to get the witness.

As Starswirl waited, he was pondering why the culprit would do this.With his magic, Starswirl pulled out and began looking at the culprit’s M.O. For the past ten years, the culprit has been specifically targeting ponies who had pegasus ponies in their family who became those bat-like ponies; even more so the ponies who were in the night guard. Summer Stone was one of the many victims who had a spouse who worked for Princess Luna before she became Nightmare Moon. But what was the culprit’s motive? And how is the culprit able to manipulate a shadow-like creature into the nightmare before the victims died?

“Did you want to see me, sir?” Asked the light green stallion entering the room, interrupting Starswirl’s thoughts.

“Ah, yes. Please come in.” Gestured Starswirl to the stallion in.

“What do you want to know?” Asked the stallion a little nervous.

“Calm yourself, my friend, you are not in trouble and I am not going to interrogate you. I just have some questions I would like you to answer.

The stallion nodded.

“Now, do you know Summer Stone well?”

“Yes, I do. She is my neighbor and a friend of my wife. I even met her husband Brave Wind one time.”

Starswirl nodded, “Can you tell me what happened the night Summer Stone was attacked?”

“Well, it was early in the morning, probably around four to five o’clock? Anyways, I was sleeping at my house until I heard a screeching noise outside, and I went to check it out. Once I was outside I heard the screech again, coming from Summer Stone’s home, louder this time because the screech shattered the windows. That is when I heard Summer crying for help. I rushed into her home to help her and then I saw this bat-like pony attacking her. The I used a levitation spell to remove that thing away from her, and then the bat-like pony screeched again in order to run away. I went to check on her after that thing attacked her and seeing that she was losing a lot of blood, I took her to the hospital.”

“How was Summer Stone after the attack?” Wondered Starswirl.

“When Summer told me that that thing was her husband, I did not believe her, but I did not tell her that because she needed to go to the hospital and arguing about it would not have taken her there faster. But Summer was never the same after that night. She had her foal a couple months later, but even the foal seemed to give Summer no joy. My wife and I tried to help her out when she needed someone to take care of the colt when she was out of town for work or if she was just needed to be alone. I guess the loss of Brave Wind really hit her hard.”

Starswirl again nodded, "And why did you not believe Summer Stone about her attacker being her husband?”

"Because it was crazy to believe that. Why would somepony’s spouse attack them for no reason? But once we got to the hospital I began to believe what Summer told me. It seemed as if everypony was telling me the same story to that of Summer Stone's. Just about everypony that day was in the hospital for the same reason Summer was in, for bite marks their family members who worked in the night guards did to them.”

Starswirl himself had heard the same story told to him many times before. Family or friends of the victims did not believe the victim telling them about how their pegasus relatives turned into these....bat ponies or thestrals (what everypony seemed to call them) and then were attacked by them before running off; never to be seen again. But there was one more thing Starswirl wanted to know.

"Did Summer Stone ever tell you about a pitch-black creature in her dreams?"

"A pitch-black creature? No, She never mentioned anything like that to anypony. Why, does it have to do with what happened to Summer Stone?" Answered the stallion.

Starswirl nodded, "We believe that the culprit is connected to the nightmares and the deaths of many of the ponies who had them. We are certain that the culprit is a unicorn, but we are uncertain about their motives. But that is all I can say. Thank you, Mr...?”

“Element Rune.”

“Thank you Element Rune. You can leave now. I believe I gathered all the information I needed in this case.”

Element Rune, however, did not move.

“Starswirl sir. Can I ask what will happen to Starry Night?”

“Starry Night?”

“Yes. Summer Stone’s Pegasus colt? What will happen to him?”

“ Well, he will go to the Canterlot orphanage since his mother is dead and his father is nowhere to be found.” Answered Starswirl.

“What if I adopted him?”

“Would you like to adopt him?” Asked Starswirl a little surprised.

“Yes, I do. I believe it would be best if my wife and I adopt Starry Night. We have been trying to have a foal of our own for a while, but thing haven't gone our way. And while Starry Night might not be our own, we love him as if he was our own. And it will be easier on him since he already knows us so well.”

Starswirl smiled as he heard that the stallion would adopt the young pegasus. Usually when a foal no longer have any of their parents to take care of them, they are usually sent to the orphanage of their town. But it seems as though Starry Night will have a family to go to after all.

“Very well then, let us go through the necessary paperwork so I can send it to Princess Celestia's adviser so that she can get the document processed by the Princess.” said Starswirl to Element Rune.

At least something good came out of this. Thought Starswirl. Now only if this case could get solved, then this whole nightmare can be over and done with.

Author's Note:

The trademarks and characters of My Little Pony are owned by Hasbro as well as the trademarks and characters of Pokemon are owned by Nintendo.