• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 24,449 Views, 7,027 Comments

Legacy - NFire



A machine of war awakens in a new world. Can it become something more than it is?

  • ...
75
 7,027
 24,449

PreviousChapters Next
What Is Done For Others..

Author's Note:

Out on contract work, in a place that makes you homesick, it's barren and just not real nice, but it's work. This next chapter, well, written from the heart, so take it as you will. A couple more are introspective, so enjoy them too.

WARNING: Feels ahead, possibly lots of them.

To paraphrase: 'Evil triumphs, when good men do nothing'

Is he evil, or a good man trying. It's up to you to decide, I just write the story.

Enjoy folks.

Luna stepped out from the doorway into a scene from a fantasy. Lights played on clouds above her head, twisting sculptures of glowing panels reached for the sky as she realized those were buildings, lit up and glorious under the beams emanating from round things setting on a..street?

She stopped, looking around carefully, seeing things flying through the sky, boxy somethings moving quickly along the street, back and forth, the hustle and bustle of a living place.

“I’ve seen things, but this, this is something else.” She spoke quietly to a sable Pegasus sitting near her when she had appeared.

Athena nodded, “It is..or was Old Earth,” She pointed around, “This city was known as New York. Millions lived in this one place alone.”

“Truly? All in one place?” Her eyes took in the colors and sounds, the buzz of traffic and the commotion that filled the night air.

“Yes Your Highness, honest.”

The dark mare sits and watches the city life of so very long ago, marveling at what is before her eyes for long minutes, before turning to the Pegasus, “What is it you wish to see me about?”

The scene fades, becoming a room with a warm hearth, a crackling fire and mulled wine awaiting on the bricks before the burning logs. Athena gestures to a seat as they both relax.

Luna smiles, “You’re getting very good at your own dreams.”

“I try, thank you Princess.” She smiles, staring into the fire before speaking again, “I’m sorry to have bothered..” Princess Luna interrupts.

“You have nothing to apologize for, you never ask for anything and it is the least I can do.” She settles nearer to the fire, “What is it you wish Athena?” Her eyes are soft in the firelight, as if talking to an old friend.

Athena fidgets for a moment before speaking again over the sounds of popping logs in the fireplace, “I..would you bring Marcus back? Just once more?”

“Marcus.” Tilting her head and smiling, “Oh the human, a past commander you’ve said?” Now she is curious, “The last time you were hurting Athena and needed comfort. Are you needing more?”

Athena shook her head, “No, no Your Highness. I...I just miss him.” She didn’t meet Luna’s eyes, looking into the flickering flames.

“The last time might have been a mistake, I may not be able to replicate that again Athena, it was something that has never happened before.” She was thinking back when Athena was hurt and needing someone to comfort her, causing her to cast a spell that delved into memories, to bring a ghost out of a pony’s past to help a wounded heart.

It had tapped into something so powerful it had stunned her, a Bolo’s memories were deep and wide, an endless well of centuries that had given her the form and shape of a man, Marcus Canfeld, Athena’s commander from the far past. He had been more alive than anything she’d ever seen, intelligent, aware, and it had bothered her for weeks afterwards.

Now was a chance to see if it was nothing more than an aberration, a slip of magic that skewed things.

“I...I know Your Highness, but I thought I’d ask. It’s okay if you don’t wish to do it again.” She gave a smile to the Princess across from her, but Luna could see the wanting in the pretty face.

Shaking her head, she stood in the small room, “No Athena, it’s not that. I was just making you aware it may not work again.”

“I understand Princess. If it fails, it fails. But...” She looked up at the dark mare, hope lay deep in the lavender eyes.

“Then let us try it.” Closing her eyes, she summoned the magic, seeing the spell within her mind, the exact same one she had used for centuries to ease pains. Gathering strength, the spell formed from the runes she pictured and spread outward from her horn.

She gasped as it grabbed onto the memories, easier this time but with a power she hadn’t ever felt. The spell doubled, and redoubled until it was a force all it’s own, tapping that almost limitless well that was Athena’s mind. It searched and found, the magic flowing like an unstoppable river as it obeyed it’s mistress’s command, bringing forth exactly what she wanted. Once again it was a difference she noticed, the power exploding in the ether to bring a shadow to life.

“Well my girl, a nicer place this time?” The soft voice made Athena’s ears perk, a brilliant smile crossed her face as she leapt up, turning to hug the brown haired man who stood tall and strong in the quiet room, his uniform crisp and fresh.

“Marcus!” She buried her face in his neck, wrapping her forelegs around him and hugging as tight as she could before he stopped her from cracking a rib.

“Gently now Athena, gently.” Even his laugh was warm to her ears, the so familiar voice that could grab her attention anywhere. He lowered her back down and knelt facing her, “You’re stronger than you realize my girl.”

“I know, I’m sorry!” Her eyes got worried as he chuckled, a deep sound that warmed her to the core. She lowered her face to stare at the floor.

“No saying you’re sorry, remember?” He lifted her chin up as he smiled, his green eyes twinkling as he made sure she was looking up at him. “Always look someone in the eyes my girl.”

“I remember! And I do!” The look that crossed her face was of pure joy. “I do!”

“That’s good, you should always be proud Athena.” He stroked her cheek, making her lean into his hand with a happy sound, she couldn’t stop herself as she hugged him again.

“I missed you!”

“And I you Athena, have you been protecting this world as I asked?” The smile never left this face as he patiently waited for a reply.

“I have!” She let go, standing as proudly as she could, “I’ve been helping Crusader and we’ve done well Marcus!”

Princess Luna let a small laugh, drawing their attention, “She’s done more than help Commander Marcus, she defended my life personally, saving me from a fate best not thought of. She is a true defender of Equestria.”

“I remember you.” The statement made Luna narrow her eyes as he walked over to her, “The Princess of the Night? The one with stars in her hair.”

She still could not believe how real this human was, how lifelike and now he remembered her! What is this?

She stood tall, proferring a hoof as was polite, expecting a bump in return. He took it in his...hand?.. bowing over it and almost brushing it with his lips, “It’s a pleasure to meet you again Princess.”

Princess Luna found herself blushing like a filly with her first crush as he did so, more polite than anypony she’d met lately she was utterly charmed, knowing now what Athena saw in him.

“Th..The pleasure is mine as well Commander.” Athena leaned to the side to peek at her, eyes wide as she’d never heard the Princess stutter like that.

Gathering her composure as the tall human straightened up, she cleared her throat, “Perhaps I should leave you two..”

“No! Oh no Princess, please stay?” She gave a pleading look to Marcus who nodded, “We have nothing to hide Your Highness, you’re welcome to stay, please.”

“If you’re sure it will not be an imposition.” Luna eyed Athena, making absolutely sure it was what she wanted.

“Yes, thank you Princess!” She ushered Marcus to another seat, a plush cushion where he sat cross-legged, making Luna wonder just how he could do that and why it did not cause pain.

A gentle hand was laid across Athena’s withers as the voice was still soft, never rising so much it hurt the ears, she remembered this so very well. “So why the summons Athena? Are you hurting again?”

Luna perked her ears up, still watching this semblance act in unnatural ways, he should not have remembered anything from before. She checked the spell, it was performing fine and was not draining but a trickle of power, it was far easier this time. But the other Pegasus hadn’t arrived, perhaps because she was focused on her friend Marcus.

“No, no I...I just missed you Marcus.” She moved closer, leaning against his side as he slid an arm across her back.

“Then what shall we talk about?” He eyed her with a grin.

Athena’s head shot up, “Princess Celestia said I’m one of her ponies! I’m as real as I can be Marcus!” She started telling him about her adventures since that first sad time he had visited her..

Princess Luna watched them talk and laugh together, she wondered how such a formidable pony such as Athena could turn into a little foal at the side of this human. She had seen the Pegasus perform feats that stunned her, and yet, here she was giggling like a schoolfilly on her first date. Would wonders never cease?

Princess Luna shook her head, the motion catching their eyes as they both turned, Marcus asking, “What’s wrong Your Highness?”

Caught in the act, she hemmed and hawed for a moment before fessing up, “Well, it seems Athena is one of the most unique ponies in Equestria, but yet she acts like a little filly when she sees you. I find the difference amusing, I apologize.”

The human’s eyes sparkled with mischief, “Oh really? So she’s just boring and such when awake, but when she’s with me it’s little girl time eh? Well, I’m not sure if that’s right.”

“I’m not boring!” Athena’s face had a look of pique on it.

Luna laughed, knowing where this was going, “Did you know she has quite a sweet tooth? Cupcakes seem to be her favorite food, though there were a few times she’s eaten Bon Bon out of chocolates.”

“That’s not true!” Athena looked shocked.

The dark mare tilted her head, eyebrows raising on her serene face “Oh? Saying your Princess is telling a falsehood?” She tapped a clad hoof on the floor.

Athena blinked, snuggling closer to Marcus as she stuttered, “N..no... I wouldn’t.. It was only one time and they were so good!”

Marcus laughed, it was deep and rich, so full of life, “Well now that’s different, but I suppose it’s so like her.” He turned to look at the Princess, “Is she real in waking life?” He looked at Athena, “Are you?”

She shook her head, “No...no I’m an avatar. It’s a machine that Crusader built, it allows us to be in society, to live and love and make friends!” She smiled, “I’m something else now, it’s wonderful Marcus, there’s magic here and it makes everything so much better.”

The Princess raised a hoof, adding to her explanation, “She is as real as any other. She is one of Our ponies and we treat her as such.” Her eyes turned on the mare sitting next to the tall human, “She is loved, and has many friends who see her as you do now.”

The human nodded, “It must seem like magic then Athena, to be in such a place.”

The Pegasus shook her head, “No Marcus, magic is real, it works here!” She turned serious eyes upward to meet his.

“Magic isn’t real Athena, you and I know..” He was interrupted by Luna.

“No Commander, it is very real, how do you think you were summoned?” She pointed a hoof at her horn, “I cast the spell to bring you here, although you are more real than you should be.” She looked at him with soft eyes, “You are far more than you were last time Commander.”

“I do remember you saying that but I brushed it off, perhaps I was wrong in doing so. My apologies Your Highness.” He nodded his head in a polite bow.

He turned to look down at the sable pony next to him, “Athena, I have to ask, where are you?”

“What? What do you mean?”

“Where are you? What planet? I didn’t ask last time and now I would like to know.”

“I’m...” She looked sorrowful, “I’m on Earth Marcus.”

His face changed for the first time since he’d shown up here, a look of confusion crossed it, “You can’t be, you know Earth Athena, we had no magic just technology.”

She wrapped her leg around his waist, she knew what was coming, “I know Marcus. But we are, it’s Earth, I’m on Earth.” Not this, anything but this.

He tapped fingers on one leg, thinking for a moment before locking eyes with her, “I’m gone aren’t I?”

The large lavender eyes welled with tears, slowly sliding down her cheeks as she stared into his for long, long moments. She didn’t want to do this, to cause hurt or harm to the man she had been wanting to see again. Athena nodded slightly as diamonds dripped off her face to patter on the floor.

His voice was gentle as he kept looking at her, “How long?”

She knew what he meant, she always did, he never had to explain things, “Over a million years Marcus. We’re not sure right now, but it could be much further.” She tightened her hold on him, feeling his body tense for a moment.

“Was my wife...?” He paused a moment, “Was I alone...?”

Athena shook her head, “No. Oh no, she was with you every step of the way. Until the end, she loved you forever Marcus. Until she passed, her love for you outshone the heavens.” Athena’s voice was trembling as she could feel him tighten like he would break in her grip.

“It was the new stasis units, it had to be, they were developing them for you. You survived so long Athena.” A single tear rolled down his face, dropping onto her coat. He looked upwards, as if searching the skies through the roof for something, “Did I do well Athena? Did I make a difference?”

Athena thought long and hard about this, the Final War was in it’s infancy then, skirmishes and short fights far out on the periphery. It wouldn’t culminate until he was centuries in his final rest. He had worked hard to stop it, to find a way it wouldn’t escalate. She didn’t wish to tell him that Earth had been smashed by a Melconian fleet. That there was nothing left, not even his memorial or grave, that Earth as he knew it was gone. She knew this as the attack had come when they were evacuating.

“You did so much good Marcus, you touched each and every Bolo you commanded. People fought for you because you lead them and inspired them. The Concordiat lived longer and better than it could have without you.” She couldn’t hold her voice steady, seeing Princess Luna looking sad as they talked, her eyes glimmering in the firelight.

“They didn’t stop did they?” He knew what she was saying without saying it. He knew, he always did, she could never hide anything from him. He was piecing together the puzzle faster than she’d thought he could.

“No.”

A fist clenched at his side as his whole body trembled. He had tried so hard to stop the border fights, to bring both sides to the table, to encourage talks instead of Hellbore fire. He had given his whole early career trying to make Earth safe. He had fought and had done so brilliantly when pushed. Marcus Canfeld was an officer that men and women would follow to hell, he was a good and honorable man.

But he was just one man, a cog in a machine that had been destined for war, and no one listened when he tried to tell them what the forecasts said. That if it continued, it would doom everything they had known. The slide had already begun, but mankind wasn’t paying attention to the numbers.

He had been laughed at, told the Concordiat would handle these upstart Melconians, shipped off to a Bolo base where he had met Athena and Hera.

His face was still upturned when he whispered the next question, straining Athena’s ears to hear it.

“Do you know if Earth survived at all?”

Athena held him tighter as she answered, “There are no humans here Marcus.”

His voice was still steady, “That’s not what I asked Athena.”

She couldn’t speak loudly, holding him in her fore legs as she answered, “We were an evacuation fleet, Operation Diaspora. We were to go out, reseed humanity elsewhere.” Athena could feel him trembling as she continued, “On embarkation day a Melconian suicide fleet attacked and broke our defenses, from what I can extrapolate from my logs, they burned the Earth Marcus.”

He closed both his eyes, he was so tight Athena though he would snap if she hugged him any harder. His breath was ragged as she watched the tears flow down his cheeks like rain.

The words were so soft, “Perhaps it’s better this way Athena, that we aren’t here, we destroyed everything we touched.”

She scrambled to stand, grabbing his face in her hooves and forcing him to look at her, “That’s not true! It’s not! There were so many wise and wonderful humans, who taught us, who led us and died with us on the battlefield!” She held him steady as he opened his eyes to see hers, “You were one of them, one of the good ones that did so much for so many!”

Part of the wall dissolved as they stood there, a memory coming to the fore.

------------

“Canfeld, Marcus, Bolo Commander, Concordiat Service Number 013687965, reporting for duty.”

A camera view was looking at a much younger human, standing in the security zone of the two Bolos he was to command, waiting for them to process his identification.

“It’s our new...new commander Athena.” Hera’s voice was small, communicating to her sister by whisker laser.

“I kn...know. He won’t hurt us, I kn..know he..he won’t.”

“How can you know, after..after...” She stopped, not wanting to say.

“Be..because he has kind eyes.”

The camera view zoomed in, focusing on eyes that sparkled with a smile underneath.

--------------

Athena was insistent, watching the memory, “Don’t you see? You made a difference Marcus. You made a difference to us! To every Bolo, man and woman in that regiment they would have taken worlds with you!”

Her voice softened, “Because you and they were good men and women, who didn’t abuse our trust, who didn’t use us like tools to be discarded.” She couldn’t stop her own tears, seeing the one man in the world she trusted beyond all others crying because he thought he hadn’t stopped a war that was going to happen despite his works..

She leaned her forehead against his, “You fought because you wanted to save lives, not because you were a killer Marcus. We fought for you for that very reason.”

“We fought because......” She couldn’t say it. For all the long years they’d served together, she and Hera had never said it once. But it was understood, they and he knew it was there and never once did it have to be mentioned.

She closed her tearful eyes and whispered something she’d always wanted to say, “We fought because we loved you Marcus.”

Her breath hitched in her chest as she forced the words out, “We... I... loved you Marcus, I always will.”

She felt his arms wrap around her barrel and hug her tight, “I know you did, you and Hera both.” His words were soft in her ear, “You were my ladies of steel and you were wonderful.”

Memories played back as they stood there, like a huge screen that took up the whole wall.

--------

“I want Osterfield shot! Do you hear me?” Marcus’s face showed nothing but rage, “What he did to these Bolo’s is nothing short of perversion. That bastard better face a firing squad!” He was yelling into a computer link up.

“We can’t do that Marcus, he’s too well connected.” A voice on the computer screen answered back.

“I don’t care, I want him gone, as in bullet through his damn head!”

“Marcus, calm down, we’ll take care of this. Return to your duties, Concordiat Bolo Command out.”

The link shut down, leaving a livid Marcus standing in his office. He knew nothing would happen, the knowledge making his gut clench that a travesty of a human would just walk away from all this. He tapped his fingers on the keyboard for a second, before typing in a few commands, “Get me Marine Headquarters, Major Stacey. Secure link authorization Canfeld, Alpha Four One.”

A second of silence, then a deep voice replied, “Marine Command, Stacey.”

“Chris? It’s Marcus.”

“Marcus! You old war dog, been a while! You tell your girls thanks again for saving out butts on Hydra Four, we’d have gotten shot up pretty bad if they hadn’t come along!”

“I will Chris, they love your merry band of murderers.” He laughed, though it was a bit strained. Major Chris Stacey oversaw eight hundred of the deadliest people ever to walk the universe, Augmented Concordiat Marines.

“So what can one old Marine do for you and yours Marcus?”

“I need a favor. We’re on encryption so please listen.” He outlined what Osterfield had done and his request. Stacey’s face turned from astonishment to rage.

“That son of a bitch, you’re sure?” These are your girls right?”

“I’m sure, and it is, it’s...it’s bad Chris, real bad.”

“Marcus, you’ve saved I don’t know how many of us, we all owe you and you know it.”

“You owe me nothing, I’m just asking. Not for me, for them. We could be tried and hung for this, if you say no it’s fine.”

“Not a chance Marcus. He won’t be on Earth for very long. The galaxy is a better place without someone like that.” The voice was incredibly angry sounding.

“Chris, I don’t know how I could ever..”

“You repay nothing, you’re a good man Marcus, a damn fine man. I’ve got a team that can do it, they’ll make sure that bastard never pulls this again.”

The young man hung his head, “Thank you Chris.”

“Anytime Marcus, you give your girls our best from the 5th Marine.”

“I will, and thank you again.”

--------

“You weren’t supposed to know that,” His voice is soft in her ear.

“We hacked the comm system. You killed a man for us Marcus, you risked everything.”

Marcus’ head reared back with a furious look, “He wasn’t a man, much less a Bolo commander. What he did was intolerable!” He let her loose and leaned back, “What he did to you and your sister should have never been thought of much less ignored. Concordiat Command knew what he was like, and they should have shot him on the battlefield!”

He slammed a hard fist into the wall, twisting as he sat, “They were going to let him go back to live on Earth after he got beat up by the other commanders. Too well connected they said. That piece of filth!”

Athena raised a hoof to stop him, but he was in a fury.

“I had to earn your trust, I had to dig deep for months before I found out what he did. That scum shouldn’t have even been in the Bolo Corps, but no, political connections, a family rich enough to buy him out.”

“Marcus, please don’t.” Athena’s voice was pleading.

Another memory appeared on the wall, it wasn’t Athena’s, it was hers and Marcus’. Luna looked surprised as it started showing, at first flickering like a bad film, then firming up, mixing the two. She could feel the flowing of the thoughts from them both.

------

He walked onto Command One in Athena’s hull, hearing the deafening silence from the Bolo as he cleaned it out of any reminder of their previous commander, tossing it all in the recycle to be burned in the flames of her fusion plant forever. It had been a bad month getting everything prepared, but now he had time to clear this deck.

Dusting his hands off he muttered, “Good riddance!”

He had a monumental task ahead, to earn their trust, to find out what happened to these very special Bolos. He had to find a way to get them to reveal everything so he could help, and heal, to bring them back to fighting form. AI techs had told him, there was no Omega Worm, they didn’t want to take the chance that these AI’s would be wiped out from mistakes like their long ago predecessor Nike.

Looking around once more, he noticed the internal cameras were not pointed at him as they should be.

“Athena?”

A small voice answered him, “Y..yes Commander?”

He tried to hold his calm, what had that idiot Osterfield done?

“Please aim your cameras at me, always watch me when I am on deck, okay?” He was so gentle, softly speaking and never, never raising his voice.

“Ye..yes Commander.” He saw them all swivel to zero on him.

“Is Hera linked up Athena?”

Another small voice, high and sweet replied, “I..I am Commander.”

He smiled, his whole face brightening, “My name is Marcus, you are welcome to call me that if you want.”

“Ye..yes Co.......Marcus.” Both voices answered in unison.

Placing his hands behind his back, he rocked back and forth on his heels, “Now, we have to go into battle, I’m sorry it’s so soon, but they need us.” He pointed a finger in the air, taking a look that was actually funny as he mimicked a British accent.

“And when we go into battle my girls, I want nothing but gratuitous violence from the lot o’ ya!”

He stalked the deck like a British general in World War Two, giving some inane pep speech to his troops as the Bolos watched him through the cameras. His voice gruff as he cleared his throat a lot and harrumphed, making it more comical with his bluster.

“We will go out there with aplomb and much vigor! We shall trounce those blighters like they deserve!” He pointed all around the deck, but never at the cameras, as if talking to people, “We have well supplied stocks of bangers and mash, we shall be fully equipped with the latest arms and ammunition, and we will take those hills from those ruffians like a proper Bolo should!”

“Roight? Roight! So! My lovely girls, afterwards we shall celebrate our victory with a bit of the old champers, wot say eh?” He waggled a finger at the camera now, “And there shall be hors d’oeuvre’s for the taking!” He harrumphed once more, “Officers only of course!”

He waited expectantly as he looked into the video lenses.

The silence stretched for a moment, then the speaker crackled, the two voices burst into giggles that lead to laughter at his comedic figure.

He let a breath out he’d been holding with a quiet sigh. It was a start, a very good start.

------

Athena couldn’t help herself, she giggled behind her hooves as she remembering the pure shock they both had, watching him walk the deck like he had a swagger stick under his arm and the pompous demeanor of some general who had no clue what he was doing. He charmed them, they began to trust him from that moment on and never regretted it.

But it took so long for them to tell him everything. To show him what had been done.

Princess Luna was hiding a laugh behind a shod hoof as she watched the memory with wide eyes. This pony..this human, doing something like that to earn just a bit of trust. She could understand some, but not all, though it was evident he was being funny on purpose.

Marcus was shaking his head, a rueful grin on his face as he smiled finally, “I had to do something, to prove I wasn’t going to be like..like...that idiot.”

“We knew Marcus, we knew that, but...but it was so hard.”

He turned back around, she could see his body relaxing as he sat down once more, bringing her close and hugging her tight beside him, “I know it, the hardest thing you’d ever done. That’s why I did what I did Athena, because things like that should never, ever be tolerated, no matter who it was.”

“I know Marcus, and we knew what it cost you.”

Another memory came on the screen, a large black human standing by Marcus on the Command deck, smiling and shaking his hand.

------

“Chris, what are you doing out here? You guys are stationed on Earth for cryin’ out loud!” The two men embraced, slapping each other’s backs, though the larger of the two was very careful, augments had a penchant for breaking bones if they weren’t.

“It was nothing, I’m an officer and I go where I will!” He stepped over and sat in the one other crash chair on the deck, leaning forward and folding his hands. Muscles bunched under the crisp uniform as sharp eyes watched Marcus take his own seat.

Chris Stacey was a Marine of high caliber, his family had all served and he was the latest, deadlier than a two-step snake he was Marcus’ friend. He liked the two Bolos as well, having saved the whole battalion from a gruesome fate.

Marcus eyed him for a moment, “You have something don’t you?”

The bald head nodded quietly.

“Athena, Hera, security procedures, lock us down; internal screens to full, block all incoming and outgoing until further notice.”

“Yes Marcus!” The two voices replied in unison as always.

Chris looked around, “They’re sounding better.”

“They’re my girls Chris, and they’re the best Bolos in the regiment.”

A booming laugh came from the uniformed figure, “You would say that, you’re biased you know!” He pointed a steady finger at the slim figure across from him, “You’d say that even if they were the worst ones in the unit!”

Marcus scratched his head, “Well that’s true, we Bolo Commanders are a prejudiced lot.”

Another laugh from the Marine graced their decks, “And how are you two doing today?” He was looking right at the cameras, thrilling the two Bolos.

“We’re fine Major Stacey!”

“Ah!” He waved a finger, “It’s Chris.”

“Ye..yes Chris.”

Immediately his face turned thoughtful as he remarked to Marcus, “Still?”

“Still. It’s going to take time, but they’re getting there Chris.”

He nodded, still eyeing the cameras, “Well, all of my boys and girls said to tell you hello, they’re sending a few things to you two to hang on your command decks.”

“Thank you Chris!”

“No, thank you, again.” He smiled, waving at the cameras before turning back to Marcus, “Got a comm unit that’s secure?”

“Athena, open up secure screen four.”

“Yes Marcus.” A screen popped up from the console, a scroll of numbers ripping across it showed it was tempest shielded and cut off from outside connections.

Stacey leaned forward, holding a memory stick in his hand, “This is the only one Marcus, this is it. They recorded this so your girls can see and know there won’t be any more like him, the message has been sent.”

“Chris...”

He was stopped by a calloused hand, “Stop it Marcus, they volunteered, you’ll see.” He leaned forward, placing the stick in the port and hitting play.

The big Major looked up at the cameras on the deck, “Athena, Hera, there was a man once who made a quote, no one knows for sure, but it’s attributed to a man named George Orwell."

People sleep peacefully at night, because there are hard men who stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

He pointed a finger, “Remember that, not all humans are like your previous commander, we look after our own.”

The two soft voices answered, “Yes Chris.”

They watched the scene unfold, a memory within a memory.

------

Six men and women stood before Major Chris Stacey in a bunker, secured against any eavesdropping, he had just finished telling them what he had found out from Marcus. The three women and three men looked like they were going to wreck the building.

They were hardened soldiers, each one chiseled as if from stone, their augments giving them power above regular men that they directed in killing their enemies. And now those faces were nothing but rage.

“And that’s it. He asked us and I said yes.” Stacey pointed a finger at each of them, “You know them, they saved us, but this is purely volunteer. Nothing will ever be said if you leave now, but once in, we’re in until the end.”

Chris added off camera, “That’s Hark, Diaz, Salcedo, Tripp, Schmidt, and that huge bastard there is Gremen.”

“I remember them Chris, Hera was absolutely thrilled when Gremen blew her a kiss for saving you guys.” He chuckled, remembering the happy voice when she said he’d done that.

“They call him Goblin cause he’s so ugly, who knew?” They both laughed as the recording played.

“He’s not ugly, he’s kind!”

“I know Hera, he has a gentle soul.”

“He does, he played chess with me while we took them to safety. He said I had a pretty voice.”

“He’s a good person, they all are.”

Hark leaned forward over the desk, planting fists that looked like carved rock, “This is true? What he did?” Her voice was gravelly and low, a side effect of the augmenting process.

“Came directly from Marcus, you know him, he would not make this up, especially when it comes to this.” Stacey was sitting firm.

Standing up, she didn’t even look at the others, “Ya know boss, we got leave time coming up, I think our team could use a break, what say?”

Papers were slapped on the desk, “Approved, see you in a week.”

As one they turned and left the quiet office, nothing further had to be said.

The scene switched, voices coming over commlinks as head cameras captured faces and voices.

Chris off screen said, “They tracked him for three days.”

“Three? How’d they even..”

“Marcus, they could track a snowflake in a blizzard and not be seen.”

“Crazy Horse One to all elements, eyes on target.”

“Crazy Horse Six, I got sights, five hundred meters. Wait one... he’s got some woman on his arm.”

“No innocents, target only, copy?”

“Good copy, no problem, we’ll wait.”

The scene showed a slim man heading into a vehicle with an elegant lady on his arm, she was laughing at some joke he made. He was being watched through a scoped sight, the cross-hair becoming firm on his head, a little above for distance and to the side for windage.

“Poor woman, if she only knew.”

“We do, that’s all we need.”

A deep bass voice came over the link, Gremen, it was menacing and would scare the absolute crap out of anyone in range.

“Treating that nice Hera like that. Boss, we need to make this personal.”

Silence reigned for a few moments, “I like that. Pull back, track him. Crazy Horse One out.”

The cameras switched again, showing the outside of a house as five faces sat in a circle, paint covered them in irregular colors, blending them in with the night and the surrounding foliage. A square face smiled at the single camera now, waving a gloved hand, “Hi Hera!” It was Gremen. He was covered in armor and weapons, his eyes bright in the moonlight.

He was nudged by Salcedo who laughed quietly, “Stop that Goblin, think you were in love or something.” Her voice was chiding him softly.

“Hey, she was nice and had a pretty voice.”

“She’s a Bolo, she outclasses you something awful, geez, aim lower.”

They all got a good laugh as the huge man looked a bit abashed.

A voice behind the camera started talking, “All right, entry is simple; it’s his house, we’ve spotted the guards. Use stun shots on them, we’re here to send a message nothing more. They’ve had enough hours to get complacent. We’ve got one woman, same from earlier, she’s in the house too. Everyone know what to do?”

Heads nodded, weapons were rechecked, magazines seated as they all scattered.

“Crazy Horse One to Crazy Horse elements, eyes on, lights are on in upper floor bedroom.”

“Crazy Horse Four, got him, eyes on, he’s got the woman in the bed...woo...hoo... Wait boss...he’s got a knife!”

“Six, do you have a shot?”

“Negative, no shot, repeat, no shot.”

“Dammit dammit dammit... Entry is green, I repeat entry is green. Go! Go!”

The camera was shaky as the figure wearing it rushed across the grounds at a tremendous pace, the figure carrying it slammed into a wall and peered around as voices started clamoring.

“Tango down, side of house, stunned, out.”

“Tango down outside perimeter, stunned here, out.”

“Entering front door, two tangos, down and out.”

“I got the back, two down, out.”

It was silent and swift, the six marines moving through the house as shots were fired so quietly from their weapons not even the dog woke. They stunned it too.

“One dog, sorry..”

“Awwwww, you big softie.”

“I like dogs!”

A door appeared quickly after the camera ran up the stairs, a booted foot kicking it in.

The light from the room revealed a bloodied woman tied to the bed, a slim figure with his suit jacket off was bending over her with a knife in his hand as the rapid fire shots from their stunners took him down.

“Tripp! Get the woman, check her, patch her up then knock her out, don’t let her see your faces.”

Two figures covered the half crazed woman’s face with a blindfold as they hustled her out behind the camera. The lens looking down at the figure laying on the floor, shot with multiple stun darts.

“Check PIDS, make sure this is him.”

A gloved hand lifted the supine figures’ hand, pressing fingers to a small handheld screen, “It’s him, confirmed, prints and DNA.”

“Good, secure the house. We’re gonna have a little talk.”

“SATSCAN says no one within ten miles, we’re clear boss. Must be nice having a country home eh? Guards are being taken care of, Tripp and Schmidt got em secured. They never saw our faces, never saw us comin’ even, he needs better security I’m thinkin’.”

“Dog?”

“Yeah I left some food for him, he’s fine.”

“Cripes Gremen, c’mon man, secure the dog!”

“Fine! God..you people.”

“Just lock him in a room, make sure you muzzle him. We’ll let him loose after.”

“I know! I know!” The huge form grumbled, walking off camera.

“Let’s wake up our sleeping beauty shall we?” Hark leaned down, she had been the one wearing the camera as she led the team. They had lifted him on the bed and tied his arms and legs together quickly. A gloved hand slapped the bound figures’ face as he lay unconscious, placing an antidote patch on his cheek as she hit him.

“Wakey wakey you piece of crap.” They were talking out loud now, off comms.

“Hey now, be respectful, he’s part of Bolo Command.” Tripps voice was menacing. Her and Schmidt returned from making the poor woman comfortable and secure.

“Not for long,” The hand slapped that face once more, leaving a deep red mark, “Open your eyes, we know you’re awake by your breathing.”

The eyes cracked open, widening in fear as they took in the heavily armed figures, ”Who..who are you... what do you want?” The voice trembled, slurring from the fast acting antidote.

Gremen had come back in, his voice rumbling, “We’re your worst nightmare.” He was stopped by Salcedo, her hand holding him in place.

Hark set the camera on a desk, letting them all be in the scene, she squatted down next to the bed, her voice soft, “We’re here to send a message, that people like you, shouldn’t piss off people like us.”

“What do you..you mean? I haven’t..” A slap rocked his head, Hark was still in place, her arm moving with blinding speed. The crack of flesh meeting armored hand was loud in the room, his cheek split open, bleeding copiously.

“There’s two names, Athena and Hera, remember them?”

“What? Those two Bolos? You’re here because of some stupid Bolos?” The bloody faced cracked a laugh, “Christ, Bolos? Nothing but worthless..”

A huge gloved hand smacked into his chest, ramming the air out of his body as Gremen had gotten loose, standing over the figure as it struggled to breath.

“Those Bolos have more courage in one tread link than you have had in your entire life.” A steady finger pointed like a gun, “Don’t say it again.”

Hark was like a rock, steady as she squatted, “We would like an apology, for your indiscretions.”

“What?” The voice was strained.

“We want you to apologize to them”, She pointed over to the camera, “On film, do it. Now.”

A gurgling laugh came from the former commander, “Oh please..” That was stopped immediately by another slap to an already bruising face.

“Say what now?” Gremen raised a hand as Hark whispered the warning softly.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” The tied hands went up in front of his face, as if he could stop the muscular arm, “I’m sorry!”

The room was silent as Tripp leaned over, eyeing the man, “I don’t think he’s serious boss, how about you?”

“Yeah, that was too easy,” She pointed at Schmidt, “Break his foot.” She clamped a vise-like gloved hand over his mouth to muffle the sounds she knew would come.

Schmidt’s knuckles crackled like gunshots in the room as he formed two fists, flexing them for a moment before moving, he picked up the flailing foot while Salcedo held the leg in place. He took the shoe off first, gripping the sock wearing appendage in his hands, he slowly squeezed using every bit of power in his upgraded muscles to carefully pulverize the bones inside the flesh.

The scream was long and strained as the man struggled. Hark waited until he settled down, sobbing through a fat lipped mouth before releasing her hold. Salcedo just dropped the leg on the bed, watching the foot lay there like a bag of wet oatmeal before grinning viciously at the bound figure. Schmidt was beside her with a matching look, his hands flexing into fists once more.

“Now," Hark was whispering again, “Make it good, or the other one joins it.”

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to do it, I didn’t!” His tears leaked out, running down his face as he pleaded, repeating his apology over and over.

Hark smiled, but it wasn’t one you’d like, it was vicious and cruel, “Better, now one for that poor woman you had in here.”

They waited while more apologies poured out, the pathetic figure saying anything to get them to go away. They were startled when he started mentioning names, other women, other times, apologizing for hurting or even killing them.

All six men and women stood and listened to a litany of pure horror, recording it and asking where he hid any evidence. He gave them anything they wanted. They’d seen some terrible things in their careers, but this putrid waste of flesh was making them all nauseous.

He finally stopped talking, sobbing on the bed as Hark stood back up. Her face was a mask of disgust as she fought for control, “I’m satisfied, you guys?” She saw the nods.

“All right, finish this.” She stepped back from the bed as the figure looked up in fright.

“No! Let me go! You said...”

“I said nothing, we’re here to send a message, that people like you won’t be tolerated. That there is justice even if it is a bit slow.” She looked down at the pitiful form, setting a sanitized note on the dresser. “We can reach you anytime, anywhere, and if anyone ever thinks they can get away with what you did, we’ll come for them too. There’s no escaping us you pus bag.”

She made a sweeping gesture with her arm to the squad, “Do it, I had my shots.”

This team had been together for years, through some of the fiercest fighting on the rim. They had been dropped into hell so many times the real one would be a vacation. They knew how to kill, how to hurt, how to do things no normal person would ever want to know.

It took a long, long time for Osterfield to die.

------

Stacey switched it off before it showed too much, “You know the rest. They ransacked the house, found the proof he’d been doing this to women for a long time. He was a psychopath Marcus, and his family covered for him. Well they can’t now, everyone knows.” He smiled grimly, “They got away clean, no one will ever know except them, and us.”

“Good god, how did he ever get in the Bolo Corps?” Marcus’s face was looking worn at the revelation.

“I don’t know, political connections, bribes, who knows. But as of now, Bolo Command is collectively losing their damn minds, tightening up everything. That little note Hark left scared the ever-lovin’ crap out of a whole lot of people.”

“Good, if it helps, good.” He looked at the big black man, offering his hand, “I can’t ever thank you enough.”

A hand like durasteel enveloped his and squeezed lightly, “That’s more than enough. You let me know if you ever need help, ever. My marauding bunch of smiley-faced killers are always ready.” He held Marcus’ hand for a second more before letting go, “What will you..” Stopping as he watched Marcus toss the stick into the fusion recycler, to melt in the power plant for reaction mass.

“Athena, Hera?”

“Yes Marcus?”

“Thirty minutes after we leave the deck, delete all records of this conversation, any records of Major Stacey arriving here, and anything else associated with it. Understand ladies?”

“Yes Marcus!”

The two men slowly walked out from the command area, heading for the nearest bar. A gentle hand clapped itself on Marcus’ shoulder as they quietly exited the Bolo’s deck.

Thirty minutes was an eternity for Bolos. He wanted them to know, to ponder, and to understand before removing that information. That when two frightened, scared and alone voices drifted in darkness calling and crying for help, that there would be men and women willing to stand for them.

To know there were people who were willing to risk it all, lay their body and soul on the line, put everything they had in jeopardy to do one thing.

To help those in need, no matter who, or what they were.

-------

Athena kept herself tight against the tall human, holding him in her fore legs as he sat silently. He didn’t say anything for long moments as Princess Luna looked on. She’d seen and understood, although the violence of it all was shocking, she knew humans a bit better now.

“I damned myself with that Athena, no matter why I did it, I damned myself.” His voice was thready in the silent room, “I was angry, and there was nothing else I could think of to do at that moment.”

Her eyes went blurry, she couldn’t help it, “No you didn’t Marcus, you just never forgave yourself. It was one moment in a lifetime of so many good things.” He was honest to a fault and this had almost crushed him with the knowledge that he had had a man assassinated. No matter what he did from then on, he carried it with him like an albatross around his neck. He had told his wife, but she had not judged him, she kept telling him he was a good man up until the day he died.

She moved in front of him, taking his head between her hooves and locking eyes, “Marcus, you knew why, you knew such a thing could not be left alone. You saved so many women, think of who he would have killed or maimed.” She smiled gently, her pretty face lit up, “If you never worried about it, if you never thought of it, we’d wonder if you were just like him. But you weren’t, you couldn’t be, that wasn’t you.”

The sad face nodded slightly, eyes closing tight as he tried to forget that memory.

Athena watched the tears, the haggard look on a handsome face that she knew and loved so very much. She tried to think of anything, anything at all that would soothe his conscience, to save him from himself.

She couldn’t stand seeing him like this as they sat there in a place that should have been warm with laughter and good memories, a reunion of two friends separated by so much time.

Athena kissed him.

She pressed her lips against his, tilting her head slightly and pulling the handsome face to hers. She gave him all the love she carried within her and gave of it freely. A drowning man receiving a breath of air, salving a thirsty soul drinking from a well-spring of love, life, and forgiveness.

Princess Luna politely turned her eyes to the fire, knowing this was a moment that was not hers to observe.

Athena kept her eyes closed, not wanting to see any reaction but just the feeling of his lips upon hers as she gifted him whatever she had to calm the raging guilt, douse the flames that coursed through him of the self-loathing he’d carried for that decision for his entire life.

She gave to him what she’d never been able to do in her long years and had dreamed of for so long. The only thing she’d yearned for but never voiced, never mentioned, never said.

Her lips tingled with magic, the internal fire that was hers leapt in joy as they moved against his. Athena’s heart raced inside her chest, beating fiercely as she tumbled into that one moment of time that she would forever remember as hers. She was lost in a single moment, the clock stopped between ticks, time paused as she held his lips with hers wanting him to know she forgave him forever.

The sable Pegasus leaned into the kiss with a passion and fury that had never been felt by but a few, an embrace that spanned eons of time but condensed into seconds. Something that her entire being was drawn into and buoyed upon a joyful feeling as she spread her wings, wrapping the object of her desire so closely and tight, covering them both in a warmth that would last an eternity.

Pulling her lips away gently, her breath hot, she whispered to him, “That’s the thank you I never had a chance to give. You’re forgiven Marcus, you were always forgiven, now just forgive yourself.”

His arms wrapped around her neck as his face buried itself against her cheek, holding her tight as she kept him wrapped in wings that would protect from harm, keep him from any hurt as long as she could.

“Thank you.” His voice was soft in her ears as she smiled with relief and an overwhelming joy.

He pulled back from her hooves, looking at her with a new found strength in his eyes. Athena settled her wings back into place as a blush came over her cheeks.

“I..I’m sorry I..” Her eyes dropped as she realized the enormity of what she’d done.

“Stop.” Fingers were pressed against her lips, “No more.”

“Yes Marcus.” She leaned back in, hugging him and wishing he could stay forever.

He gently pulled away, wiping at his eyes and smiling once more, she waited for him to say anything, something, or even rebuke her for doing what she’d done. Instead he shook his head and chuckled.

“Marcus?” Her eyes were worried.

“I think we probably just broke a few thousand laws somewhere.” His eyes sparkled with mischief as she slapped her hooves over her mouth, unable to restrain the laugh that came through.

He winked at her, “Let’s not tell my wife all right?”

She couldn’t help it, she laughed. Lost in a fit of giggles at his stupid comment and she just...laughed. She saw Princess Luna politely covering her mouth as well, shaking behind it.

Athena grabbed him in another hug and slapped his shoulder, “You’re so..so...agh!” She kept giggling as he embraced her once again, laughing alongside her and Princess Luna.

“As a Princess of Equestria,” They both turned, seeing the dark mare raising one hoof, “I hereby pardon you for all offenses done in this dream.”

Laughter returned to the warm house, making it comfortable and cozy once more.

After a few moments, she saw him turn to the side, a faraway look in his eyes, “I have to go Athena.”

“But..no! Wait, we still have time!” She held him tight, never wanting to let go. “I haven’t told you of my..my new friend!”

“A new friend?” He looked at her as a picture of a lavender Alicorn appeared on the wall. It showed her laughing, playing games with Athena, or just sitting and talking.

“She’s my friend Marcus, and you’d love her. She’s kind, and warm, and she keeps me out of trouble...well..not all the time.” A blush rose in her cheeks as she tried not to think of the many times...

A picture unbidden comes up of Athena walking into a pole as she’s talking excitedly to Twilight, eliciting a short burst of laughter from Luna and Marcus.

“I see.” He lost the look for a moment as he concentrated on her, “What’s her name?”

“Twilight Sparkle, and she’s a Princess here.” Athena looked at the moving form with pride.

“A beautiful name for a pretty girl.” He lifted her chin to meet his eyes, “Take good care of her, okay?”

“I will! I promise.” She scuffed a hoof on the floor, “Please don’t go Marcus, just a few minutes more? Please?”

“It’s not up to me Athena, something tells me it’s time to go.” His face is serene now, still smiling at her.

“But I don’t want to say goodbye! Not again!” She wiped a hoof across her eyes, looking angry.

He leaned over, wiping her tears with a gentle touch along both cheeks, “Stop that, you know there’s a time for everything Athena. There are no goodbyes, I’ll see you again when you need me.”

“But I always..” She’s hushed by fingers on her lips.

“No, you have a new friend that means something to you, look to her and take care of her. I’ll be here, you know that.” His voice was warming her to the core as he cupped her cheek, giving her forehead a light touch with his lips before he stood up.

She stood with him, standing on her back legs and hugging him tight, “I’ll always need you Marcus.”

“No you won’t Athena, you and I know that. But if you do, I’ll be here. I promise.” Marcus never once broke any promise he made to her and Hera, ever.

“O..okay.” She dropped back down on four hooves, looking up at him, “Just..just remember me okay?”

“There’s no way I can forget you, but it’s time to go. I’ll see you again.” He waved to Luna, turning quickly and walking out through the wall of the little house which turned to a fog, surrounding him as he disappeared from sight.

Athena watched until she could no longer see him, wiping her eyes every few seconds before sighing, turning to see the Princess standing beside her.

“He’s right Athena, I have a feeling he’ll be here when you need him.” She touched Athena’s head with the tip of her wing, “Go to a deeper sleep now, dreams are fine but you’ve been through quite a lot here tonight. Sleep and be at peace.”

Athena felt herself lay on a pillow, a hoof helping her to lie her head on another as a deep rest overtook the dream body; filtering to herself in the world, leaving her to dream now of meadows and clouds, of wings in flight.

Seeing the scenery change already, she prepared to leave before Athena awoke into this new place. Princess Luna looked at the smiling face, the cheeks wet with tears. Such passion and fire that wants so little, yet gives so much. “Dream sweet my pony.”

----------

Athena sat on the train, taking the time to think of the previous night. She looked out the window as the machine roared along the tracks, heading for Canterlot. Her face was merry as she sat on the comfortable seat..

She had awoken with a resolve, a need, no..a want to do this. In a life of so many memories, this was one thing she could do. She had contacted the Princesses and received immediate permission for her suggestion, they were kind and so very warm about it, understanding without questioning.

Her smiling face caught the wind as the train pulled into Canterlot station. Some things you had to do, even if no one else understood. Marcus said stand tall, look a person...pony in the eyes, she did today and would try harder each day after.

Athena rented a cart, loading her package into it as she set off at a quick pace, arriving soon where the Princesses had told her, the two giving directions to the location when she had told them of her specific needs.

She wound her way into the gardens, looking for the alcove they said would be there. Finding it, she un-harnessed herself, lifting the cloth covered item out of the back and moving it into place. It took a few minutes, she made sure it was just perfect before removing the satin covering.

It shone like she wanted it to, soaking the sun up and drinking of it’s rays to give it a luster and prominence, as it should be.

It was a hollow block of pure durasteel, beveled and rounded so there were no sharp edges, done in a soft manner. It was burnished to a high gleam, which would reflect the light of the moon or the sun at any time, so it would catch the eyes. The alloy it was made of should last a long, long time.

She saw that flowering plants had been left as she had requested, letting her look at the shining metal while she slowly planted them around it, making sure each and every one was in it’s special place.

A picture was laser engraved on the top of the angled face, a cartoon horse with it’s tongue sticking out in a raspberry and crossed eyes. She chuckled, remembering when she first saw it.

Below it, an inscription in Equestrian, all of it was in the native language, to better give it a new life and meaning.

5th Marine Raiders - Team Two

“Crazy Horse”

Master Gunnery Sgt. Katherine Hark

Master Sgt. Michael Schmidt

Gunnery Sgt. Linda Salcedo

Gunnery Sgt. Anthony Diaz

Staff Sgt. Misty Tripp

Staff Sgt. Gunter ‘Goblin’ Gremen

They helped others to stand,

and stood for those who couldn’t.

“Semper Fidelis”

A gentle voice asked from beside her, “What is that language at the bottom?”

She turned to see Celestia and Luna standing quietly on either side of her, she couldn’t imagine how they’d gotten so close without her hearing them. Celestia had the smile she always wore on her face, the sun itself in pony form. Princess Luna looked on curiously, she was smiling gently as well, remembering last night.

“It..it’s called Latin Your Highness, it was old when we were still fighting. It says ‘Semper Fidelis’ meaning always faithful, or always loyal.” She rubbed one hoof along another, “I’m afraid it didn’t quite translate to Equestrian very well.”

Athena moved more flowers into place, surrounding the simple block with color and scents, making sure each one had a place to grow and bloom while letting anypony see the names.The royal diarchs stood quietly as she made sure each item was perfect, tamping the dirt down around the beautiful plants.

Princess Luna’s voice was soft as she asked, “Why did you not put Marcus’ name on there, or his wife?”

Athena smiled, touching the block with a hoof as she turned to look at the two Alicorns, “Because I’m their memorial. As long as I live, I’ll be a testament to them and all the good they did.”

She stopped for a moment, silent for just that right amount of space, “Time carries away the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. All that we were, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment.”

“Marcus said there are no goodbyes.” She leaned down, pressing her cheek against the sun-warmed block, closing her eyes and hearing laughter from rough voices once more. She saw their faces again, looking up at her camera, filthy from the battlefield and smiling after being rescued that first time. They were hugging each other tight, slapping backs and shoulders, the group of them giving a thumbs up to her and Hera.

“Rest well my friends.”

----------

The drop craft slewed sideways as it avoided a burst of Anti-Aircraft fire from below, the six heavily armored Marines inside howled in delight as they got bounced around. Typical drop, right into the fire, a usual day for Team Two.

A massive form raised a small screen in a large armored hand and yelled out, “Hey Guns! They’re down there waiting for us! Marcus says it’s gettin’ good down there!” His voice was loud on the internal communications they all wore.

Hark grinned, “Can’t wait to see your girlfriend again?”

Gremen blushed under his faceplate, “Aww..it ain’t like that Guns, she’s nice.”

Schmidt hit the large form on the shoulder, “You been passing messages back and forth, whaddya mean it ain’t like that?” He clutched Gremen’s oversized arm with both of his, leaning a helmeted head on the larger man’s shoulder, “Oh Goblin, you big strong guy you!” He ducked with a laugh as the big Marine swiped at him to chuckles all around.

Tripp looked at Salcedo and Hark, “Hey, think a hundred years from now the Bolos might remember us?”

The shorter Marine shrugged, “Dunno Tripp, hopefully huh?” Salcedo grinned though, “It’d sure be nice!”

Hark was more thoughtful, “Beats me, a century from now we probably won’t even be a blip on their radar, they live a long time so probably not.”

Diaz laughed, “At least we made a difference huh? That’s all that matters, and having a couple of Bolos at your back ain’t gonna hurt either!” Fists were bumped all around.

Hark’s voice was low, but loud enough to be heard over the bangs and slashes of plasma fire outside, “You’re damn right about that. We may not be here long Marines but we did make a difference, at least to three people who were worth it!” She laughed, her face merry, “You know line troops like us, we’re just a drop in the bucket, ain’t no one gonna remember us a thousand years from now. But we did right by them, I think that’s good enough!”

Every helmeted head nodded, knowing what she was talking about.

Heated air blazed along the front of the drop craft as they shot through the atmosphere, knowing that down there were two Bolos and their commander who would fight alongside them. The battlefield was along a continental front, and was becoming vicious against the Kour-ti rebels, but that was okay.

Looking at each other, the smiles broke out once more, they did what they did and no regrets. Their friends were waiting for them down below, a song of battle in their hearts as they prepared to face an enemy once more.

But Hark was wrong, a million plus years in the distant future a sable Pegasus lay her face on the sun warmed monument remembering those brave faces once more.

PreviousChapters Next