• Published 19th Dec 2014
  • 5,735 Views, 138 Comments

My Little Pony Equestria Girls 4: Sunset Shimmer Returns - Hopeful Soul



Sunset Shimmer finally returns home to Equestria to right her old wrongs, unfortunately the sins of the Human World follow her back and put everypony in Equestria in danger.

  • ...
10
 138
 5,735

Welcome to Ponyville

Chapter 3

Later, in Equestria, Twilight and Spike were both waiting by the open portal waiting for Sunset to arrive. Much like the counterparts of Pinkie and Applejack while they were waiting for Twilight, the two of them were currently playing cards.

“Sure she’s coming?” Spike inquired.

“I opened the portal just after I got her message, so all she needs to do is activate the magic scanner and it’ll let her in, so she should be coming through.” Twilight said. “She just needs time to say goodbye to our Canterlot High friends.”

“Ok…” Spike sighed.

“Now, what do you got?” Princess Twilight challenged.

Spike laid his cards out. “Full House, ha!” he boasted. “Beat that!”

“Well, ok, like Rainbow Dash would say…” Princess Twilight began before she laid down her own cards. “Read ‘em and weep.”

“No way!” A Royal Flush!?” Spike exclaimed, dismayed. “Come on Twilight, you’re killing me here!”

“Sorry Spike, fair’s fair.” Princess Twilight shrugged.

Spike threw his cards down frustrated. “Well, I don’t think she’s coming…” he muttered.

Just then something yellow-ish orange, red and yellow flew out of the portal and slid across the ground for a bit. They could tell right away that it was Sunset.

“And… I’m wrong.” Spike remarked.

Princess Twilight quickly rushed over to her as she began to stand up and smiled.

“Sunset Shimmer! Your back!” Twilight said, happily as she helped her up.

“Thanks Twilight, it’s good to be back.” Sunset smiled, her knees then began to wobble a bit as she stood on all fours.

“Are you ok?” Twilight inquired.

“Yeah… I’ve just forgotten what it’s like not walking on two legs… it’s hard to move like this…” Sunset admitted.

“That’s how I felt when I started standing on two.” Twilight confessed. They both chuckled.

“Funny, it wasn’t that hard for me.” Sunset Shimmer shrugged. Spike then approached. “Oh, hey Spike!”

“Hey Sunset, how have things been?” Spike smiled.

“Oh, pretty good, considering.” Sunset Shimmer nodded, she looked around the shiny area they were in. “So this is your new castle.”

“Well, part of it, you should see the library, it’s wonderful.” Princess Twilight said, with a loving smile as she thought of her books.

“I’m… sure it is…” Sunset said, slowly while backing away. Spike then got her attention.

“Uh, best not to get to involved in this particular interest of Twilight’s, you’ll be bored to death in a matter of minutes, trust me…” Spike muttered to her, quietly. Sunset nodded to him, understandingly.

“So… when can I see Princess Celestia? She here?” Sunset inquired.

“Well, she is but I think she’s busy at the moment, I’ll have Spike send her a letter, letting her know you’re here.” Twilight said. “In the meantime, why not a tour around Ponyville?”

“Well… I’ve never really seen Ponyville before so…” Sunset Shimmer began. “Yeah, sure!”

“Great! Follow me.” Twilight said as she began to lead Sunset Shimmer out of the room.


They soon stepped out of the castle and walked down the whole pathway until they were into Ponyville. To anypony else they’d describe it as rustic yet comfortable, but to its inhabitants, it was home. Sunset saw many species of ponies walking and flying all around whilst talking amongst themselves and laughing with joy.

“Wow… so this is Ponyville.” Sunset Shimmer remarked, gazing at the peaceful scenery around them.

“Yeah, it’s beautiful isn’t it?” Twilight asked.

“Sure is…” Sunset agreed. “Can’t believe I never came…”

“Well, you were a different mare back then.” Twilight told her. “Now you’ve changed.”

“I hope everypony else sees it that way…” Sunset said, a bit sadly.

Twilight put her hoof on her shoulder. “They will, trust me, now come, time for you to meet them personally.”

Twilight then began to lead Sunset through the peaceful village towards the home of one of her friends, on the way she began to wave and exchange smiles with every pony she passed. Unknown to her, that hooded figure was standing right behind her. She then felt that feeling again, turned and saw nopony there.

“Sunset! Come on!” Twilight called out. The fiery haired unicorn ignored the feeling in the back of her head and then began to follow her.


Later, Twilight and Sunset Shimmer soon arrived at Applejack’s farm, which looked the same as it always did, with the red and purple barn and farm house still standing like the pig house and the Apple Orchard’s stretching as far as the eye could see

“Our first stop; Sweet Apple Acres.” Princess Twilight declared, as they continued to walk towards it.

“Wow… it’s so much like the Sweet Apple Acres in the other world…” Sunset remarked.

“Got that right.” Twilight agreed.

“And I assume this world’s Applejack is here too?” Sunset inquired.

“She should be here somewhere…” Twilight said.

“YEEEEEHAW!”

The group jumped in surprise and looked in the direction of the voice. It was the pony version of Applejack running towards an apple tree. She skidded to a stop and gave a powerful kick to the tree's trunk with her hind legs. The apples in the trees shook and fell into multiple baskets set below the tree. The orange pony crossed her front hooves proudly.

“And there she is.” Twilight smiled.

Sunset sighed. “Well… let’s hope this works…” she voiced as she began to approach Applejack, along with Twilight.

“Hey, Applejack!” Twilight announced. Applejack turned to her, pleased.

“Howdy, Twilight!” Applejack smiled before she noticed Sunset and narrowed her eyes a bit. “Say… don’t I know you?”

“Hi, AJ!” Sunset said..

“You… know me?” Applejack asked, surprised.

“Well, I know a you, so…” Sunset Shimmer began.

“Oh yeah, the other us’ from the other world, how they doing?” Applejack inquired.

“Pretty good, they send their regards by the way.” Sunset told her.

“Cool, so what brings you here?” Applejack questioned.

“I… came to right some unresolved wrongs here, for starters… I’m sorry for what I put you and your friends through by stealing Twilight’s crown… it was wrong…” Sunset said, shamefully. “Hope you can forgive me.”

Applejack glanced at Twilight, who gave her a nod, and she smiled. “Well, of course I forgive you, sugarcube,” she assured her while putting her hoof around her.

“Really?” Sunset asked, hopefully.

“Yeah, it’s better to forgive and forget, besides… if Twilight believes in you, then so do I.” Applejack stated.

“Thanks Applejack, glad to see you and your counterpart don’t share many differences.” Sunset said. “Course… mine is a bit more stubborn then you…”

“That so?” Applejack inquired, interested.

Twilight stepped forward. “It’s true, you didn’t notice when you first saw them but unlike you and the others they haven’t exactly learned all the lessons we have learned about friendship.”

“But don’t worry, they are learning. I’m helping them just like they helped me.” Sunset added.

“Good to know, thanks. Say… you wanna try some of my family’s cooking?” Applejack offered.

“Oh, I don’t know if I should…” Sunset Shimmer began.

“Come on! I guarantee you’ll like it!” Applejack encouraged her.

“I’ll vouch for that!” Twilight added. They both gave her begging looks.

“Well… ok.” Sunset relented.

“Great! Right this way, we got a lot for you to choose from!” Applejack told her, cheerfully as she put her hoof around her and began to lead her away.


Later, after trying some of Applejack’s pie, Twilight and Sunset left Sweet Apple Acres and went to visit another friend of the Princess of Friendship. As they walked Sunset groaned while struggling to walk with her fully belly.

“Are you ok?” Twilight inquired, concerned.

Sunset groaned again. “I think I ate too much pie…”

Twilight giggled a bit. “Yeah, I made the same mistake too, don’t worry about it.”

“So… who’s next?” Sunset asked.

“Rainbow Dash, and speaking of which she still hasn’t cleared the clouds away yet.” Twilight said, looking upward and seeing all the clouds that were still in the sky above.

“Rainbow Dash clears the sky?” Sunset Shimmer echoed, surprised.

“Yeah, in Equestria she’s a weather pony.” Princess Twilight told her. “She’s in charge of the weather team, as a matter of fact.”

“Wow, that’s pretty impressive.” Sunset Shimmer remarked, amazed.

“Yeah… course she does slack off every now and then… but don’t worry, I know from personal experience that she can get this all cleared in ten seconds flat.” Twilight stated, proudly.

“Really?” Sunset Shimmer inquired. “Is that true?”

“Your darn right it is!” Somepony boasted, catching Sunset Shimmer by surprise.

“Huh? Who said that?” Sunset Shimmer asked.

“I bet I know who…” Princess Twilight said, knowingly.

A blue blur with a rainbow tailed zoomed them over and over again until it finally stopped in front of them and revealed to be a rainbow maned Pegasus that Sunset Shimmer immediately recognized.

“Rainbow Dash.” Sunset Shimmer smiled.

“The one and only. Why? Have you heard of me?” Rainbow asked before she got a good look at Sunset Shimmer. “You…”

“Rainbow Dash, this is…” Princess Twilight began to say.

“Sunset Shimmer.” Rainbow Dash cut in, still frowning. “Yeah, I know who you are. And I also remember how you stole Twilight’s crown!”

“Knock it off, Rainbow! She’s already learned her lesson, she’s changed, you know that.” Princess Twilight scolded her, firmly.

“They don’t change that much, I got my eye on you.” Rainbow Dash warned Sunset.

Sunset then leaned toward Twilight. “And I thought my Rainbow Dash was abrasive,” she remarked.

“You and me both.” Twilight smiled.

“I heard that!” Rainbow Dash protested. Twilight gave her a glare and she sighed. “Ok… I’m sorry…”

“It’s ok, I can’t really blame you for doubting me, I’d probably act the same way, plus I’m used to it… Sunset admitted, smiling wearily.

“Oh… that must stink, huh?” Rainbow remarked.

“Yeah, it does.” Twilight told Rainbow Dash somewhat sternly.

“It does kinda sting at times…” Sunset Shimmer admitted. “But don’t worry, I’m dealing with it, plus a lot of started to forgive me. Course… there’s still a few that haven’t gotten over it…”

“Oh… well… give them time, they’ll come around.” Rainbow assured her.

“Thanks.” Sunset said, thankfully.

“By the way, don’t you have some clouds to clear?” Twilight pointed out.

“Yeah, I’ll get to that later, right now… I’m napping.” Rainbow stated as she zipped up, landed on a cloud and quickly laid back before flying asleep. Twilight groaned, exasperated while Sunset Shimmer giggled to herself, amused.

After visiting Rainbow Dash, the two then decided to visit Rarity and soon entered her store; the Carousel Boutique.

“This is Rarity’s boutique, it’s here she designs some of Equestria’s greatest outfit.” Twilight said.

Sunset looked around. “Wow… this place sure is fancy looking,” she remarked. “Totally her style.”

“Got that right.” Princess Twilight agreed.

“Where is Rarity, anyway?” Sunset Shimmer inquired.

“Probably in her ‘Inspiration Room’.” Princess Twilight guessed.

“Think we can go check on her?” Sunset asked, curiously.

“If she’s not too busy, I don’t see why not.” Twilight shrugged. “Sure! Let’s go!”

They both then walked up the steps of the Boutique and upon arriving on the second floor they stepped into a room where Rarity was currently working on a dress.

“Rarity…” Twilight began.

“Just hold on a second, I’m ‘in the zone’ as it were.” Rarity said, as she continued to work.

Sunset just smiled. “You never change, do you Rarity?” she remarked.

Rarity turned her attention from her work to Sunset, surprised. “Do I…” she began before it hit her. “Oh! Of course! Sunset Shimmer! You’re here!”

“It’s good to see you Rarity… the Pony version of you anyway.” Sunset Shimmer stated.

“Likewise, darling.” Rarity nodded, as she approached her. “Tell me, what brings you back to Equestria?”

“Well… I have some wrongs I need to sort out here and I wanted to apologize for…” Sunset began.

“Oh, darling, there’s no need to apologize. Like our other selves in the other world, we’ve forgive you for your past misdeeds.” Rarity smiled.

“Thank you.” Sunset said, gratefully.

“See? Not everypony here hates you.” Princess Twilight told her.

“Yeah… guess not.” Sunset Shimmer smiled.

“Indeed, you just need to have a little faith in yourself, after all how can you expect everypony to like you if you don’t even like yourself?” Rarity pointed out.

“Hmm… I guess you have a point there… thanks Rarity.” Sunset told her, smiling. Rarity returned the smile and nodded.

“By the way… is there any chance that the other me sent some new wardrobe designs with you?” Rarity inquired, interested.

“Uh… no… but I can tell you some.” Sunset offered.

Rarity squealed. “Ooh! I’d be honored! Please do tell me,” she insisted. “Oh! And while we’re at it, why don’t we fit you for a new dress!”

“Oh… I don’t know…” Sunset began, but Rarity quickly pulled her in close.

“Nonsense! I won’t take no for an answer!” Rarity declared.

“Uh…” The fiery haired unicorn began to say before Twilight leaned in close to her.

“Don’t argue, just go with it, trust me.” Twilight whispered.

“Ok…” Sunset Shimmer said, slowly as Rarity began to push her away with, Twilight following.

Pretty soon, they were in Rarity’s dressing room where Twilight and Rarity eagerly awaited Sunset Shimmer to come out and reveal her new outfit to them.

“Oh, I do hope you like the outfit choices I picked out for you.” Rarity expressed, excitedly.

“Yeah, they’re all beautiful! I’m particularly fond of these two.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“Well then, put both of them on and let’s see them!” Rarity encouraged.

“Ok, here I come.” Sunset Shimmer declared.

Sunset Shimmer then stepped out wearing a glittering mint green and teal ruffled dress that sparkled a bit and had a little golden crown on her head as well.

“Wow! That outfit looks gorgeous on you!” Princess Twilight remarked, amazed.

“You really think so?” Sunset Shimmer asked, bashfully.

“Oh, of course darling! The silk the colors perfectly match your complexion and eyes!” Rarity said, dazzled.

“Oh, thanks.” Sunset Shimmer smiled, flattered.

“Alright, let’s try on the next one, shall we?” Rarity offered.

“Ok, one sec.” Sunset Shimmer said as she went back to change again.

She then came back out wearing another ruffled dress only in shades of red, yellow and pink, she also did her hair in a different style as well

“Brilliant!” Rarity expressed, happily. “It fits you perfectly!”

“I guess so…” Sunset said, blushing.

“Oh, don’t be so modest, darling!” Rarity told her. “Embrace your beauty!”

“Modest, heh… now that’s word I haven’t been called in a long time.” Sunset expressed.

“Well, maybe you should start.” Princess Twilight suggested.

“Yeah… maybe…” Sunset said, thoughtfully as she gazed at her reflection.

Latter, Princess Twilight and Sunset Shimmer were making their way to the edge of the forest, hoping to find and talk to Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy should be around here somewhere…” Twilight Sparkle said, looking around.

“So Princess Twilight, how much is your Fluttershy like mine?” Sunset Shimmer inquired.

“Very much like yours, course… the other Fluttershy seems a little more easier to anger…” Princess Twilight noted.

“She was pretty mad at Rainbow when she wouldn’t do her song…” Sunset Shimmer remembered.

“And when she thought Pinkie ruined her silent auction…” Princess Twilight added. “That was… not pleasant.”

“I’ll bet.” Sunset Shimmer agreed.

“Yeah… oh and speaking of Fluttershy, there she is.” Princess Twilight informed her.

Sunset looked forward and indeed saw Fluttershy hovering in front of a group of singing birds perched on the branches of a practically leafless tree. She was currently helping birds with their singing. The duo listened to the beautiful and harmonious music and both looked impressed by how beautiful it was.

“Hey, Fluttershy!” Sunset Shimmer called out. Fluttershy yelped and hid behind a rock, rather poorly though. “Oh! Sorry! I didn’t mean to scare you, Fluttershy!”

Fluttershy poked her head out from behind the rock and looked to see Twilight and Sunset. “Oh… it’s you again.”

“Yeah, nice to see you again Fluttershy…” Sunset Shimmer said, shyly.

“It’s nice to see you again too…” Fluttershy agreed, just as shy. “I’m glad you made it here ok.”

“Thanks.” Sunset Shimmer smiled. “So uh… whatcha doing here?”

“Oh, I’m teaching my bird friends here a new melody.” Fluttershy replied, proudly.

“Cool! Can we hear it?” Twilight inquired.

“Of course!” Fluttershy beamed, she turned to her birds. “Ready?”

The birds all nodded.

“Ok, a one… a two… a one, two three…” Fluttershy said before she gestured them to begin and they all then started to chip a lovely little song for them. During the song Sunset began to smile and tear up a bit, making Fluttershy and the birds stop.

“Oh! Did that song hurt your feelings? I’m sorry…” Fluttershy apologized.

“No, I’m fine it’s just… that sounded a lot like a song… my Mother used to sing to me as a filly…” Sunset admitted, smiling.

“Really?” Fluttershy remarked, surprised. Sunset nodded. “Where is your Mom? Is she…”

Fluttershy’s voice trailed off, believing the worse had happened to her.

“In Canterlot… with my father, brother and sister…” Sunset said, sadly.

“You have a family?” Twilight asked her, just as surprised as Fluttershy. The fiery haired unicorn nodded. “How long has it been since you’ve seen them?”

“A long time… they probably heard about everything I did too…” Sunset muttered, depressed. “I wouldn’t blame them if they hated me…”

“Sunset, they’re your family, they could never hate you.” Fluttershy told her, comfortingly. “I mean… I sure don’t.”

Sunset smiled, touched. “Thanks, Fluttershy.”

“Hey, maybe after you meet with the Princess you can go pay them a visit!” Twilight suggested. “I’m sure they’d love to see you again.”

“Yeah… maybe…” Sunset mused as she looked up towards the sky and watched a family of birds fly overhead.

They soon arrived back in town, after meeting with Fluttershy and searched around for the last member of their Princess’ group of friends, which was fairly easily she was the pinkest and most happiest pony around.

“And there’s Pinkie Pie.” Princess Twilight gesturing to the party pony herself who quickly spotted the two with a wide-eyed expression.

“Is she gonna…?” Sunset began, before Pinkie zipped over and stood right in front of her.

“She is.” Princess Twilight confirmed, deadpan.

Pinkie gasped sharply. “It’s you! Sunset Shimmer! The one who stole Twilight’s crown but later reformed and helped save the world! Your back!” she cheered as she hugged Sunset tightly.

Sunset groaned a bit. “It’s… good to see you Pinkie…” she said, with a smile. “Could you… put me down… I think my spine cracked… again…”

“Again?” Twilight echoed.

“You don’t want to know…” Sunset assured her.

“Oh! Sorry!” Pinkie Pie apologized as she quickly released her. “So, when did ya get here?”

“Uh… an hour or two ago…” Sunset Shimmer began.

Pinkie gasped again. “Then that means that I get started on your welcome to Ponyville party!” she exclaimed. “Don’t worry Sunset Shimmer, I’ll have your party up two hours ago!”

“But uh…” Sunset began, but before she could Pinkie quickly zipped off in a flash.

Twilight chuckled, nervously. “Sorry about that… you know Pinkie Pie.”

“Yeah… I do.” Sunset Shimmer smiled. They both shared a smile, then noticed something floating down from up above them. “Hey, what’s that?”

Twilight looked closely. “Looks like some of the royal guards are coming.”

“Oh yeah… the Royal Guards…” Sunset said, slowly. “Forgot they were coming here… which means…”

The armored Royal Guards then landed on the ground with a carriage being pulled right behind them, obviously meant for Sunset. Upon stopping they whinnied.

“Well… it’s time to see the Princess…” Twilight declared.

“Yep…” Sunset muttered.

Twilight comforted her again. “Hey, it’s gonna be ok, alright?”

“I hope so…” Sunset admitted. “The Princess and I didn’t exactly leave on good terms…”

“Hey, you know Princess Celestia as well as I do, so you know that she won’t hold it against you.” Twilight stated. “Truthfully… I was worried about you meeting her too… but Spike made me see otherwise and have faith.”

Sunset Shimmer smiled. “You’re lucky to have him you know.”

“He drives me crazy sometimes… but I don’t know where I’d be without him.” Twilight said, with a warm smile. “That goes for all my friends.”

“Funny, I usually think the same about my friends.” Sunset remarked. She and Twilight shared a smile. “Guess we have more in common than we thought.”

“Guess so.” Princess Twilight beamed.

“Wish me luck.” Sunset said, as she began walking forward toward the carriage, which quickly took off as soon as she got on it.

“Good luck.” Princess Twilight whispered.