• Published 17th Dec 2014
  • 6,644 Views, 582 Comments

Not Every Mark is Cute - tjcullinan326



When Tirek drains Equestria of Magic it allows a certain pegasus to escape from the royal dungeon. His crime? Having a Cutie Mark deemed as dangerous.

  • ...
43
 582
 6,644

Chapter 1

Twilight had never been happier in her life. She and her friends had defeated Tirek and she had finally found her purpose as a princess. The Princess of Friendship.

Heh, it might take me a bit to get used to the title.

She, her friends, the Princesses and most of Ponyville were currently celebrating outside her new castle. Pinkie had gone more over the top than she usually did for this blowout. If Twilight didn't know better she might have wondered how Pinkie managed to make a cake of Tirek cowering in fear in less than thirty seconds.

Don't go there Twilight; you know what happened last time you tried to figure Pinkie out.

With little else to do Twilight headed for the crowded dance floor. (Pinkie had also managed to set up an entire dance floor outside. Complete with a stage for the performers). Twilight made her way over to her friends. Pinkie was being her usual self, i.e. tap dancing and talking as fast as she possibly could. Rarity and Applejack were by the punch bowl and Rainbow Dash was hovering beside it, talking to a part of the table cloth that moved. As Twilight came closer she began to make out their conversations.

"Come on Fluttershy, hardly anypony saw you and the ones that did didn't care," said Rainbow Dash.

"P-ponies were st-staring! I shouldn't have danced, I'm dreadful at it," said Fluttershy giving the cloth a little shake.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and flew beneath the table then pushed a stammering Fluttershy out.

"See Fluttershy?" asked Rainbow Dash flying back in front of her, "Nopony's staring."

Fluttershy glanced around nervously.

"O-oh... Um, okay." She stood up and walked back to the snack table, trying to partially conceal herself behind it.

"Applejack darling you need to pour from at least three inches above the glass, that way the punch mixes properly," said Rarity.

"Whatever ya say sugarcube," said Applejack, taking her glass and dipping it directly into the punch bowl. She gulped the drink down while Rarity glared at her.

Twilight smiled at her friend's antics and approached them.

"Hi girls," said Twilight.

"Oh hey Twi, how ya doin'?" asked Applejack.

Before Twilight could answer there was a bright flash of light in the center of the dance floor. The surrounding ponies yelped in surprise and backed away quickly. Twilight rushed closer for a better look and saw a unicorn Royal Guard gasping for breath had teleported there.

Did he teleport from Canterlot?! No wonder he's exhausted.

Twilight and the other Princesses rushed to the guard's side.

"Morning Blaze, what's wrong?" asked Celestia. The guard grimaced.

"Princess, I'm, I'm sorry but we've failed you," said Morning Blaze, gasping again.

"What do you mean?" asked Luna.

"A prisoner, from the dungeons. He, he escaped."

Everypony that was in earshot sucked in a gasp.

"How is that possible?" asked Cadence, "I thought there were enchantments on the cells."

"Apparently Tirek absorbed those along with the magic of the pony who cast them," said Celestia, "Morning Blaze, do you know who it was?"

He shook his head.

"I only heard it from Steel Feathers. He said the prisoner was a pegasus with a dark red coat with a mid-length black mane and tail, along with a goatee."

Celestia's eyes widened.

"Did Steel Feathers see his Cutie Mark?" she asked, trembling slightly.

"No, I'm sorry your majesty."

"It's quite alright Morning Blaze. You did all you could," said Celestia, she turned to Twilight, "Twilight I need you to gather your friends and transform into your harmonious forms.”

"Why? Is this prisoner really that dangerous?" asked Twilight.

"The one I'm thinking of is, pray that it isn't him who escaped," said Celestia.

Twilight gulped, nodded, then ran back over to her friends.

"Darling what's going on?" asked Rarity.

"Does that guard want to party too?!" asked Pinkie bouncing up and down. Twilight shook her head.

"A prisoner escaped from the dungeon. We need to turn into our harmonious forms and go get him," said Twilight.

"What! We just finished with Tirek and now we gotta deal with another evil threat to Equestria?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"I'm afraid so," said Twilight. Rainbow Dash sighed.

"Fine. Let's just blast the loser to stone then get back to the party," she said, flying toward the castle.

"Sounds good," said Applejack, following.

"Agreed," said Rarity, "Come along Fluttershy dear."

"U-um, okay," they followed Applejack.

"OO! Hey Twilight! When we beat the new meanie pants can I throw a party for that too?," Pinkie gasped in realization, "Hey! If we beat him in time we might be able to combine that party with this one! How super awesome frajalistic would that be?"

"That would be great Pinkie but let's focus on finding the prisoner alright?" asked Twilight. They went in after their friends, Twilight walking and Pinkie bouncing.


Brawler poked his head over the side of the cloud he was hiding on; he saw the six mares from earlier walk into the palace. He took cover behind the cloud again.

"Well buck me," he whispered. The most Brawler could do against Tirek was scratch his ear. Those mares had defeated Tirek in one shot.

And now Sunshine has set them on me... Buck.

He peaked over the side of the cloud again, made sure nopony was looking up, then flew away as quietly as he could. As soon as he was out of eye and ear shot of the party he sped up.

Where to I hide? Where do I hide? Ah!

He spotted a creepy looking forest in the distance. He flew lower and hovered at the entrance. Then he examined it more closely.

Dark, creepy,

He heard a growl.

Most likely full of dangerous creatures. Yep, most ponies would probably avoid this place at any cost.

Brawler landed and trotted inside.

Making it a pretty damn good spot to lay low.

The forest got darker and darker as he walked inside. It didn’t really bother him though. The only reason to be afraid of the dark was because of the things hiding in it. Brawler wasn’t afraid of monsters so he strolled in like he owned the place.

After about fifteen minutes of walking he came across an old castle. It looked like it was a few hundred years old, but somepony had recently started restoring it. He noticed some statues of alicorns in its courtyard.

Oh, I bet this is Sunshine’s old castle.

He started walking toward it.

Perfect hiding spot. It’s the last place anypony would think to look for me, in the middle of what anypony would avoid like the plague.

He opened the door and trotted in. The palace was clearly old as some parts of the stone were crumbling, but some restoration work had been done in here as well. The hallway wasn’t very dirty, the carpet was fairly new and the tapestries had been restored.

“Time for a bit of exploring,” he said to himself as he trotted further inside.


Applejack rubbed the back of her head. The transformation into a being of harmony made her a bit embarrassed, not to mention a little silly.

Ah mean, a bigger ponytail with red highlights? Really?

Since the Tree of Harmony still had the old Elements of Harmony the transformation was the only way they had to deal with evil doers. Celestia was acting very on edge and wanted them ready for action at a moments notice. That meant walking around fully transformed. And without the ball of energy swirling around them, ready to defeat any foe, Applejack felt full on ridiculous.

She and her friends were now in their harmony forms standing in front of Celestia and Luna. (Cadence had gone back to the Crystal Empire to make sure this prisoner wasn’t hiding out there.)

“Thank you for being ready for action,” said Celestia, “I know that the transformation must be embarrassing for you.”

“No biggie, I look awesome like this,” said Rainbow Dash, taking off and hovering in place. Applejack rolled her eyes.

If by awesome ya mean lookin’ like you was struck by lightnin’ then yeah, Ah guess ya look awesome.

“It’s really no trouble Princess,” said Rarity, “but may I ask why you are so agitated?”

“I was wondering this as well Sister,” said Luna, “If I didn’t already know what was troubling you I’d have assumed Sombra had escaped from his prison yet again. What is it about this prisoner that you fear?”

“Well I’m not certain if the one I’m thinking of is the one who escaped,” said Celestia.

“Sister, you are preparing us for the worst case scenario, the least you can do is tell us what that scenario actually is,” said Luna.

Celestia sighed.

“I suppose you’re right. The prisoner I’m thinking of is a stallion named Brawler. He fits the guard’s description of dark red coat with a black mane and tail. The only difference is the goatee, but I suppose he grew that while he was imprisoned.”

“How long has been in prison?” asked Twilight.

“Eight years,” said Celestia.

“EIGHT YEARS?!” everypony exclaimed. They could barely believe it. They’d all heard stories about what the dungeons were like, and couldn’t fathom staying there for almost a decade.

Eight years bein’ away from yer family? Eight years eatin’ nothin’ but slop? Eight years without bein’ able ta set hoof outside?

“What the hay did this stallion do ta deserve somethin’ like that?” asked Applejack.

“Usually such punishment is reserved for murderers,” said Luna.

Celestia shook her head.

“He never murdered anypony.”

Luna’s head snapped to her sister.

“WHAT! Tia, you know what spending too long in a cell does to a pony! If they spend too long unable to do their talent they slowly go insane! Only murders and other scum deserve such punishment. What did this pony do?”

“It’s not so much what he did as what he could do,” said Celestia, “In order to understand fully you need to know the full story. Brawler was born in Cloudsdale, though at the time his name was Burning Coal, anyway when he was about ten years old he went to a dojo for a self-defense lesson. Apparently despite having no prior experience he knocked out his sparring partner with one shot. Something about using a counter-uppercut to give his opponent a concussion, I never really read that part of his file thoroughly. Anyway when his opponent hit the ground he earned his Cutie Mark, it represented fighting.”

There was a small collective gasp.

“He was renamed as Brawler the next day. From what we can tell he was generally safe over the next few years. We didn’t know about him at this point, if we did we might have brought him in sooner. But as I was saying from the information we’ve gathered Brawler was fairly functional as a preteen. Although there were instances of bullying where he would retaliate rather harshly. It wasn’t until he was thirteen that he was put in jail.”

“Wait, wait, wait. You’re telling me you locked him up when he was only THIRTEEN! What the hell happened to love and tolerate?!?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“If you’d let me continue I’d explain,” said Celestia, “He and his family were on a vacation in Canterlot. While he was there he assaulted twenty guards, putting sixteen in the hospital, one of which needed to be brought to the E.R.. Brawler claimed that one guard was harassing a mare and that things just escalated when he told the guard to back off, but when we interviewed witnesses they said there wasn’t any mare nearby.”

Celestia paused to take a breath.

“Brawler didn’t show any remorse for his actions, in fact, he said several times that he was having fun during the battle and would do it again in a heartbeat. That is why I put him in a cell, he was dangerous to the ponies around him. I didn’t want to risk another incident like the one with the guards.”

There was a brief silence in which everypony thought over the story. Applejack glanced at her own Cutie Mark.

Ah get sorta itchy and agitated when I go too long separated from mah family or without applebuckin’, does this Brawler fella get that way when he goes too long without punchin’ somepony in the face?

She shuddered.

“Um Celestia?” asked Twilight, everypony turned to her for breaking the silence.

“Yes Twilight?”

“How did Brawler defeat the unicorn guards? I mean, all they’d have to do is wrap him in a telekinetic spell and he’d be helpless.”

Celestia nodded.

“Very good Twilight. However, there is a way to resist being held by such a spell. If a pony focuses on their own inner magic and pushes it out into the air it can be used to counter a telekinetic grip. If the pony is good enough and pushes all their magic out a single point it’s possible to break a grip that’s as strong as mine,” said Celestia.

“And Brawler knew this when he was thirteen?” asked Twilight.

“I doubt it. What I suspect happened is a weak telekinesis spell was placed on him, then in a burst of rage he accidentally called his magic forth and broke the spell. Since this trick isn’t very well known other stronger unicorns must have thought he was somehow immune to telekinesis and didn’t even try,” said Celestia.

“And you never taught Twilight this because…?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“I was not training her to be a battle mage,” said Celestia, “But back to the point, we don’t even know if it’s Brawler who escaped from the dungeons.”

At that moment there was a flash of bright light beside Celestia and Morning Blaze appeared once again, though not breathing quite as hard this time.

“Report ready for you your Highness,” he said.

“Yes?”

“I’m afraid your fears have been confirmed your Highness, Brawler is the one who escaped. Worse is that the tracker spells placed on him vanished along with the enchantments on his cell. Several search parties have been sent out and are looking for him as we speak. All other prisoners are accounted for,” said Morning Blaze.

Celestia pursed her lips and nodded.

“Thank you Morning Blaze. Return to Canterlot and join the search parties. I want Brawler found as soon as possible.”

Morning Blaze bowed, then vanished with another flash of light.

“OO! Can I help look for him? It’s like a big game of hide and seek!” exclaimed Pinkie, bouncing up and down.

“I’m afraid not Pinkie. If you did locate him and he overpowered you we would be short one element of harmony. I’d rather not have that happen,” said Celestia.

“Uh, Princess? This is Pinkie Pie we’re talking about,” said Rainbow Dash.

“I know, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. The guards should be able to locate Brawler quickly enough without her help,” said Celestia.

“And if all else fails I’ll be able to locate Brawler in his dreams,” said Luna.

“S-so, um, what do we do?” asked Fluttershy.

“Just return to your homes and be ready for when we find him,” said Celestia, “One blast from the six of you should put him in his place. Until then farewell.”

Celestia teleported away.

“Good luck to you all,” said Luna, then she teleported as well.

The mane six just stood there for a moment, wondering what to do next.

“So, um, I guess we’ll see each other when they find Brawler,” said Twilight, “See you girls then.”

They all said their goodbyes then headed for their homes. As Applejack trotted back to Sweet Apple Acres she would feel twinges in her stomach every few steps.

Come on AJ, get it together, ya beat Tirek with this power! Why’re ya scared a one pony?

Her stomach gave another twinge. She glanced at her Cutie Mark again.

Maybe I ain’t scared, but I think this is wrong? But why the hay would ah think that?

She thought back to a time when she had to go two weeks without her family or applebucking for some land tax thing. She remembered how agitated she got, then she remembered that Brawler had gone eight years without doing his talent. She shuddered at the thought of going that long without doing her own.

After another minute of walking she saw Sweet Apple Acres in the distance with Applebloom waving to her infront of the barn door. Applejack shook off her jitters.

Maybe Ah’m jus worried that Sis’ll tease me cause a the new look.


After looking through most of the castle Brawler settled in a partially restored bedroom. The sun was setting as he lay his head on the pillows and he was out like a light. Only now realizing how tired he was and remembering how comfy a real bed could be.

Then for the first time in a long time, Brawler began to dream.

He was sitting at a bar. A tall glass of hard cider in his hoof, half empty. He took a drink, then somepony smashed into his back and his glass went flying. He turned in his chair and saw that a fight had broken out. He grinned, got out of his chair, and tapped the shoulder of the earth pony that had smashed into him.

“You spilled my drink,” he said, then he smashed a right hook into the stallion’s jaw. The colt dropped like a rock. Other stallions turned and saw their friend on the ground. They dropped their scuffles and surrounded Brawler. His grin grew wider and he got into his ready stance. It involved standing on his hind hooves while holding his front hooves up. He wasn’t standing straight up and down though, he was hunched over so that his elbows were about a foot and a half above the ground.

“Well come on, I haven’t got all day,” he taunted. A gray earth pony shuffled forward hesitantly then threw a jab at Brawler’s face. He ducked beneath it then slammed an uppercut into the colt’s chin. The colt stumbled back then dropped to the ground.

Before Brawler could celebrate, a yellow pegasus flew at him and punched him in the nose as he shot past. Brawler’s grin didn’t falter and he watched the pegasus come back for another flyby. When the pegasus had pulled his hoof back Brawler shot forward and rammed his hoof into the pegasus’ own nose. Then before the pegasus’ front hooves hit the ground Brawler punched him in the gut, and the pegasus fell over onto his side.

“BUCK YEAH! COME ON YOU BITCHES! LET’S SEE WHAT YA GOT!” shouted Brawler.

This continued for awhile, one pony or several would challenge him, and then he took them down. But then the Royal guard burst in through door. Brawler smirked as he trotted over to challenge them, but not a single guard moved.

“You guys gonna stare at me until I feel guilty and come quietly? Not gonna happen,” said Brawler.

The guards remained silent and still. Then a unicorn guard trotted up to the front. Then before Brawler could react the guard shot a yellow beam at Brawler’s left hoof. Looking down at it Brawler realized that the shackle was still around his hoof. When the beam of light hit it it seemed to come alive. It began extending and wrapping itself around him. Brawler struggled but the chain was too strong, it continued to wrap itself around him until everything but his head was practically cocooned in the chain. Unable to keep his balance, he fell to the floor. He continued to struggle even as he felt a telekinesis spell wrap around him and lift him into the air. The guards brought him out onto the street and he saw that he was in Canterlot, and they were heading to the castle.

Brawler felt himself pale.

No. No! Not again!

His struggling became more frantic and he shouted curses and insults at the stone faced guards as they brought him to the castle, then down into the dungeon. They tossed him into his old cell and slammed the door as they left. Not bothering to free him from the chain. He heard the door lock with a loud ‘click-clank’

“COME BACK HERE YOU BUCKING COWARDS! I’LL TAKE ON EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU WITH MY WINGS TIED BEHIND MY BACK! COME BACK AND FIGHT ME!... Fight me!.... come back.”

Brawler banged his head against the floor.

"Dammit..., not again," he could feel tears in his eyes. He fought them for a few moments then gave up and let them slide down the side of his face. After a few minutes, the door unlocked. Brawler sniffled and looked up. A dark blue alicorn was standing in the doorway.

“So this is what you fear,” she said. She stomped her hoof and the world swirled around them. When it became still he saw that they were now in a meadow, and that his chains had vanished. He scrambled to his feet.

“Are, are you Princess Luna?” he asked.

“Yes, I suppose due to your imprisonment you don’t know that the elements of harmony freed me from Nightmare Moon,” said Luna.

Brawler bowed. Luna raised her eyebrow.

“You bow to me?” she asked as he stood back up.

“We’re in your domain, it’d be foolish not to,” said Brawler.

“Please speak plainly. I’m still trying to learn to modern way of speaking,” said Luna, “Do you know why I’m here?”

Brawler shrugged.

“To find me I guess, then tell Sunshine and her cronies”

“Correct. But I’d prefer it if you’d treat my sister with more respect. You may be a fugitive of the law but you can still give respect where it’s due.”

Brawler scowled.

“Your sister threw me in a cell because of a mark on my flank. How the hell to I respect the ‘great and just’ Princess of the Sun when she throws teenagers into dungeons for things they can’t control?”

“You assaulted twenty Royal guards, putting fifteen in the hospital-”

“And one in the emergency rom. Yes I know. But as I’ve said over and over again, one guard was harassing a mare, and things just escalated when I told him to back off.”

“Witness claim that there was no such mare.”

“Which witnesses? The ones who’s income largely depends on the guards being their customers? And would most likely go bankrupt if the guards all of a sudden decided to get services elsewhere?”

“You claim that there is corruption among among the Royal guard?” asked Luna, snarling.

“And that one would like to buck every mare he sees and isn’t afraid to say it out loud? Yeah I claim that,” said Brawler.

Luna smirked.

“Well then, you wouldn’t mind if we went back and checked?”

“What?”

Luna stomped her hoof again. The world started to rush past them once more. When it stopped this time they were in Canterlot, behind a colt with a dark red coat and a black mane. When Brawler examined him more closely he realized something.

“But, but that’s me!”

His younger self at least. Brawler was shorter when he was thirteen, and he didn’t have his goatee yet, but the mark of boxing gloves in front of a yellow explosion proved it was definitely him.

“We are in your memories,” said Luna, “On the day you were thrown in jail. Now we shall see what really happened.”

Brawler grinned.

“Good.”

Luna glanced at him with a raised eyebrow but didn’t say anything. They followed Brawler’s younger self down the street until he reached a corner. At which point they heard something rather interesting.

“Come on sweetheart, you know you wanna be bucked by me,” said a unicorn guard to a light blue earth pony mare, “And with that steaming hot bod of yours I’d be happy to oblige.”

The mare was walking as fast as she could and staring at the ground. She shook her head when the guard stopped talking.

“Come on baby, you know you want this,” said the guard.

Luna curled her lip in disgust.

“Told you,” said Brawler, “Now watch this.”

The younger Brawler had stormed up the guard and shoved him back.

“She’s obviously not interested asshole so back off,” he said. The mare gave the young Brawler a quick smile of gratitude then sped walked away.

The guard glared at Brawler.

“You lost me my big night,” he said.

“With a mare who wants nothing to do with you?” asked Brawler. The guard smirked and wrapped Brawler in a weak telekinesis spell.

“I’m a Royal guard, I’m a unicorn, I get what I want,” he said. The young Brawler started struggling against the spell.

“Don’t even bother, you’re a pegasus! Only true warriors like us unicorns can escape spells,” said the guard.

“I’m pretty sure that’s what set me off,” said Brawler.

Indeed the young Brawler seemed to pause for a moment, then practically radiate hatred.

“He inadvertently insulted your talent,” said Luna.

“True warriors like him.’ Teh, it’d be like saying Sunshine did a better job at raising the moon than you ever did.”

Luna glared at Brawler.

“Just giving an example!”

Luna sighed.

“I’ve seen enough,” she said. The young Brawler had broken free and was now beating the guard against a wall. She stomped her hoof and they returned to the meadow.

“This changes nothing,” she said.

“What! Princess, you just saw that I was telling the truth and you still want to lock me back up?”

“You are still a danger to other ponies.”

“For buck's sake you sound like Sunshine. My talent is NOT hurting ponies my talent is FIGHTING! If I have a sparring match now and then I’m fine.”

“I will not ask any of my subjects to become your personal punching bag!” shouted Luna.

“You wouldn’t have to! I’d just ask around,” said Brawler.

“And when nopony agrees? You’ll just assault guards again! You are a danger to Equestria. You belong in a cell.”

Brawler flinched.

“Like how you did?” he asked.

Luna sucked in a breath and let it out shakily.

“That was different,” she whispered.

“Yeah, you were possessed and needed to be sent away. I was just thrown in my own deep dark prison cause a few ponies were afraid of me.”

“Don’t compare me to you.”

“Why not? We were both feared and misunderstood, and because of that we ended up in some form of prison.”

“ENOUGH!” shouted Luna. She panted heavily. There was silence for a few moments.

“Luna, please,” said Brawler, “Don’t send me back to that cell.”

Luna stared at him, then sighed.

“You claim to be pure of heart?” she asked.

“I’m not evil if that’s what you’re asking,” said Brawler.

“Well then the Elements of Harmony shouldn’t have an effect on you. If you allow the bearers to attempt to purify you and you are unaffected I will vouch for you,” said Luna.

Brawler stared at her for a moment.

“You expect me not to put up a fight?”

“Yes.”

Brawler sighed.

“Is there any hard cider in the castle?”

“Hard cider?”

“I’m not surrendering while I’m sober,” deadpanned Brawler.

“Very well, there should be an old barrel in the kitchen. But how do you know what it’s like? You were in prison when you reached the legal age.”

“I don’t, I just want to get drunk,” said Brawler, “Now can you wake me up so I can drink?”

“It’s three in the morning.”

“Just let me go get drunk.”

Luna frowned.

“If you attack the bearers I will not vouch for you under any circumstances.”

“Understood.”

“Very well. Then wake up.”

Brawler’s eyes opened and he found himself back in the bedroom. He got out of bed and shook himself.

“To the kitchen,” he said. He flew up and grabbed a torch, then headed for the kitchen. When we reached it he saw a big barrel labeled Sweet Apple Acre’s Cider. He set his torch down, grabbed a glass and poured himself a tall drink. He took a swig, then coughed it out.

“Ponies like this stuff?” He scrunched up his face, then took a proper drink.

“I’m not gonna screw this up.”

He took the barrel and took it to the front hall. He set it down in the center of the hall and poured himself another drink.

“I’d better not regret this,” he took another swig, grimacing as it went down, “I’m already pissed at one Princess, I don’t need to make another god-like enemy.”

He took another drink and waited for these bearers of harmony. Already having second thoughts.

Author's Note:

Thanks to koorabiter for telling me how shit the original chapter one was.

Don't be afraid to give me brutally honest constructive criticism, I can take it.