• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 1,093 Views, 23 Comments

unWANTED : Walk with Acceptance - travelingbard



With only a number for a name, a human must find his place in this new world and answer one question; What would you do to save a world you don't belong in?

  • ...
10
 23
 1,093

Ch. 7-The sound of music

Author's Note:

Sup, guys!!!!!!! Its been a while, huh? Well, I've been going through some things but its all ok now.
I have a big announcement!
I'M GOING ON MISSION!
(I forgot to mention before I'm Mormon, ((no, i will not have multiple wives.)), and we go on missions for two years.
So i will be unable to write for two years. You all will have to wait on the exiting adventures of our hero, Zero, in pony land!
Love you all!
(criticism helps me write. Leave a message or comment for me and I'll start writing again in 2 years.)


songs that helped me; Somewhere over the Rainbow - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole and 1234 by Plain white T's.

DARK…


DARKNESS…


FLOATING…


PAIN…


PAIN…


LIGHT…


BLINDING LIGHT…


HARD SURFACE…


COLD SURFACE…


PAIN…


SHADOWS…


“WHO ARE YOU?”


Who am I?


“WHO ARE YOU?”


… my… name…


SHADOWS…


CLOSER…


SURROUNDING …


SUFFOCATING…


Can’t…breath…


“What is your name?”

The voice was soft as a cloud, but shook the darkness and echoed like an army of booming drum.


…I…I…


“Your name.”


“My…my name…I am…”

**********

Zero gasped and clutched his chest as he rolled on the roof. The world spun and he didn’t know which way was up as he fell through the opening of the observatory. When he finally hit the bottom of the ladder, he was so tangled up in the blanket he didn’t even know he was on him. He finally got his breathing under control and just laid there, letting the pain subside.

Zero looked through the hole on the ceiling at the diamond sky, but it looked a little different. It looked…not as dark.

Lighter, even.

Zero struggled against his restrain and twisted and pulled until finally getting one arm out. With a short triumphant laugh, he untangled himself further until the blanket had released him. He kicked it aside and hurried up the stairs. The sky was getting lighter in the east, but the city cloud wasn’t there.

I guess the Pegasi moved it.

The dark sky grew even lighter until the sun came over the horizon.

It was …

…Indescribable….

Zero closed his eyes and spread his arms wide, taking in the rays of orange and gold light. He took in a deep breath and sighed.

Zero sat down for a few minutes until a deep growling noise erupted from his stomach. He took one last look at the beautiful sunrise before he descended the stairs. He folded the blanket and carried it as he went on the hunt for something to eat.

As he made his way to get something to eat, he bobbed and weaved and danced around the maid hustling and bustling and around, performing their daily duties. He asked one where he could get something to eat and she gestured with her hoof to a door at the end of the hall. Zero thanked her and she tilted her head towards him, grabbing the blanket he had and walked off in the fold of maids. As Zero walked down the hall, he pasted a room with the roots of a tree as a chandelier. Gems on strings hung from the rots and glinted in the morning sun light. The room was large and circular with six tall crystal chairs surrounding a very large crystal table with a star in the middle of it.

“AAAHHH! Good morning, Zero.”

Zero tuned around to find a sleepy and matted hair Twilight yawning and rubbing her eyes entering the room.

“Morning, Twilight. How are you?”

“Tired.”

Another yawn escaped her and she shook her head.

“Ahhh! I’ve got to stop pulling all nighters so frequently.”

Twilight trotted over a chair with a purple star on it that look familiar to Zero.

“Did you sleep well?” she said, placing the pad of paper and book she was levitating next to her plate.

Zero took the seat next to hers before answering as a waiter came in and placed a big stack of pancakes, a dish of butter, syrup, strawberries, fancy looking glasses with orange juice, and a can of whipped cream on the table.

“I did, but I was woken up kind of painfully.”

“Oh. I’m sorry to hear that. What happened?”

“Oh, I’m fine. Don’t worry about it.”

They ate in silence for a few minutes until Zero recognized the book next to Twilights plate as his anatomy book.

“Is that why you stayed up all night?” he said, pointing at the book with his fork.

“It’s fascinating!” Twilight exclaimed, opening it up with her magic and began to read.

‘The human body has around 640-850 muscles, split into three groups; skeletal, visceral, and cardiac. The skeletal muscles are voluntary, whereas the visceral muscles are involuntary. Cardiac muscle make up the wall of the heart, (about the size of a fist)’- whatever that is- ‘and is responsible for the forceful contraction of the heart.’

Twilight looked away a bit to take a bit of pancake before continuing.

“You’re just like me, Zero. Of course, our hearts are larger than yours due to the fact we pump more blood then you do and-”

“Excuse me, your Highness?”

A pony poked his head in and Twilight swallowed before gesturing the pony in with a hoof.

“The representative of Manehatton is here.”

“Really? Wow. They’re here early.” Twilight placed the book down and trotted to the door.

“I’ll be right back, Zero. This won’t take long. Then we can continue with your basis.”

“Wait. What?”

“Don’t worry! It’ll be just a couple of more days!”

*A week later*

Applejack woke to the sound of a knock on her door.

“AJ, ya awake?”

“Uhh. No, but I have ta answer the door anyway,” she said sarcastically, sitting up as Big Mac came in with a tray of food in his mouth.

“Funny. Here, eat. You’ve gotta big day.”

Applejack looked at her brother with a questioning face as he placed the tray on her lap.

“What do ya mean, big day?”

Big Mac sat on the edge of her bed, with the same confused look as she was giving him.

“Didn’t ya tell me you talked ta a Mr. Surplus about sellin’ some apples to him?”

It took a moment for Applejack to comprehend his words. Then the night of the Gala came back to her.

“Oh yeah! Crud, I forgot!” She began to horse down the food until her bother stopped her.

“Whoa there, AJ! Not so fast! You’ll choke! Easy, girl. You’ve got time.”

Big Mac got off the bed and headed to the door. “I’ll bring the carts to the east orchard for ya to fill up. YOU just take it easy for a few minutes.”

AJ watch her brother go and waited to hear his hoofs descend the steps. She took a few minutes finished her food, then she trotted over to the mirror to brush her bed head out a bit.

The mare in the mirror looked a little more relaxed this morning, but not by much.

AJ stared at her and she stared back.

They both said nothing, but their eyes said it all.

The dream.

“AJ!”

The call of her name from her little sister shook her bake to her room.

“Comin’!”

AJ grabbed her hat and a hair tie and closed her door behind her.

Apple Bloom stood in the doorway, eagerly hopping from one hoof to the other.

“Don’t ya have a play date with Sweetie and Scoot’s?”

“Yeah, later,” the little one said, trotting after her big sister. “I’ve got time ta help with your thing.”

“Well, thanks, little one,” AJ said, ruffling up Apple Blooms hair. Apple Bloom wriggled out of her grasp and trotted by her sister to the east end of the orchard.

It took them and Big Mac most of the morning to fill the carts and sift out the bad apples. Apple Bloom waved good bye at mid morning as she raced down the road to meet up with the girls while AJ and Big Mac hooked the cart to their backs and dropped them of at the barn. They went back to collect the rest of the cart. In the end they moved 8 carts into the barn and placed tarps over 6 of them. They then strapped a cart to each of them again and made of down the road.

They entered the town and stated to head toward the train station when a voice called out to Big Mac.

“BIG MAC!”

“Cheerilee!”

Big Mac hugged and kissed his marefriend and AJ felt a tiny bit of something way deep inside of her.

“Big Mac! I’m glad I found you.” Cheerilee kissed him and hugged him again. “I need your help right now. Are you free?”

“Nope.”

“Dang. Biceps was going to help move Cranky and Matilda move, but something came up for him. Something about the Lotus or something. Anyway, Matilda asked if I knew somepony else who could move a couch.”

Big Mac looked at AJ and turned back to the teacher.

“Sorry, Cheerilee, but I’m helping-“

“Good morning!”

Cheerilee gasped and hid behind Big Mac, who instinctively stepped in front of her, as a tan upright creature covered in sweat ran towards the group. It stopped just before AJ and gave a greeting again.

“Mornin’ to ya too… Zero, wasn’t it?” AJ asked.

The creature nodded as he caught his breath. He took ear buds out of his ears and put them in his pocket.

“Yeah… huh…huh… and you’re… Miss Applejackie?”

“Applejack. No “Jackie”. “

“Ah… huh, huh… got it.”

Zero took a water bottle from his back pocket and downed it in a few gulps.

“AJ?”

AJ turned to see her bother with a questioning look.

“Oh! Zero, this is my brother, Big Macintosh. And this is his marefriend, Cherrilee.”

“Nice to meet you both, Big Macintosh, Cheerilee.” Zero extended a hand towards them and they just stared at it.

“Oh! Sorry.” Zero wiped his sweaty hand on his pant and extended it again. They stared at it again until Big Mac finally took it and firmly shook it.

“Nice ta meet ya.”

“It’s nice to meet you too. Hey, I was wondering if I could have one.” Zero said, pointing to the carts full of apples.

AJ kicked her cart and an apple flew up and made an arced towards Zero. He caught it and took a bite.

“Mmmm… Delicious. Thank you, Applejack. So, what are you people up to today?”

“…What?”

“Ah, dang it. I did it again. I mean “Ponies”. What are you ‘Ponies’ up to today?””

“Well, we were goin’ to Canterlot for a bit of business,” AJ said, gesturing to Big Mac and her. “But Cheerilee needs Big Macs help movin’ some furniture around, so now I don’t know what we’re gonna-“

“I’ll help.”

AJ looked back Zero, bouncing on the balls of his bare feet.

“What?”

“I’ll help you with your Canterlot thing,while Mr. Big Macintosh-“

“Big Mac,” Big Mac said.

“Big Mac helps Cheerilee with the moving.”

“No.”

AJ turn to see a stern look on her brothers face this it.

“Ok. I’ll help with the move, then.”

AJ noticed that Cheerilee made a face that she couldn’t quiet place, but she was glad Zero didn’t catch it.

“Big Mac, I can-“

“No, AJ.”

“Mac. Cheerilee needs you. I’m fine.”

Big Mac looked from his sister, to Zero, and finally to his marefriend. He sighed and then eyed Zero again. A few moments passed until he finally gave a sharp nod.

“All right then,” AJ said.

Then something accrued to her.

“Zero, can you pull a cart?”

Zero looked at her as if this just accrued to him too.

“I think so. Here, let me try.”

AJ and Zero helped Big Mac detach his cart from him and everypony quickly realized that the cart wasn’t going on Zeros back.

“Well, crud,” Zero said as he took the cloth from his back pocket and unraveled it into a green shirt. He wiped his face with it, and then pulled it over his head. “Well, now what?”

Cheerilee came over and took a closer look at the carts front.

“If you somehow attach a long piece of wood between these two points, then you could push it rather then pull it.”

“Sweet,” Zero said. “So how do we do that?”

“Hmmm… OH! Give me a moment!”Cheerilee gave Big Mac a quick kiss and ran off in the direction of town, leaving the three along together.

There was an awkward silence between them. Zero rocked back and forth on his bare feet and Big Mac kick a pebble around a bit. The awkwardness got thick until AJ broke the silence.

“So why were ya runnin’, Zero?”

“I was running for Princess Twilight’s basis so she- AH CRUD!”

“What?”

“I forgot about Princess Twilight! Man, I’ve gotta go tell her that I’m helping you out! I’ll be right back! Don’t go away where!”

Zero spun around and sprinted off, leaving AJ alone with her brother.

“ AJ-”

“I know you’re taking care of me, but it ain’t my first trip to Canterlot.”

“I know that, but…”

“But what?”

“I’m just worried about you. Ever since Tim-”

“Stop right there, Big Mac!”

“Sorry. Well, ever since… HIM… happened, you’ve been different!”

“OF COURSE I’VE BEEN DIFFERENT!!! YOU WOULD TO IF YOU-”

Applejack stopped herself and took a deep breath.

“The point I’m trying to make, AJ, is to be careful. Please.”

“I will, and I’m tellin’ ya I’m fi-“

“OK, I’m back!”

Cheerilee trotted to the cart with a long round piece of wood and some rope.

“Was that you yelling a minute ago, AJ?” Cheerilee asked, as she pulled a pocketknife from her satchel and began to carve some grooves into the top of the handle of the cart.

“Wha? Oh! Yeah. I saw… a… spider…. and freaked out.”

Cheerilee stopped in mid stroke and stared at AJ.

“Really? Since when are you scared of-”

“OK, GUYS! I’M BACK!”

AJ turned to see Zero jogging down the now somewhat crowded street. Everypony looked on with a mixture of shock and awe as the human ran by with a “Good morning!” greeting. Mothers held their children tightly, and the fathers stood in front of their families. But the little ones looked past their parents legs and smiled at the new creature among them.

“Well, did ya find Twilight?” AJ asked.

“No, actually. Never made it to the castle. I found a guard and asked them to relay a message to Princess Twilight.”

“Aaaaaand DONE!”

Cheerilee stood back from her hoofdywork and smiled.

“Come on, Big Mac! We’ve got to go!” She grabbed Big Mac’s hoof and basically dragged him off as he said “goodbye” and “be safe” to his sister.

“Well,” Zero said, “She was in a hurry to move those people. I mean ponies.”

“Their movin’ the Donkeys,” AJ commented, “And I think their gonna do more than just help move ‘em”

“What?”

“Nothin’. Come on. Time to go to Canterlot.”

AJ and Zero pulled their carts to the train station and bought the express tickets. A few minutes later the train pulled into the station and they pulled their carts into the cargo hold, and AJ locked them to the floor with the provided chains. They then walked through three cars until they found an open bench.

“Man,” Zero said as he sat down, “Kinda crowded today, huh?”

“Yeah. I wonder why.”

Zero stretched his arms over his head and yawned.

“AHHHHH! Well, Miss Applejack, we’ve got a couple of hours before we reach Canterlot. Tell me about yourself.”

AJ hopped on the bench and settled in for the long ride.

“Well, there ‘aint much ta say about me. I’ve lived in Ponyville all my life. I work on the farm, buckin’ apples. That’s pretty much it.”

“Ah, come on. There’s gotta be more than that. Princess Twilight said you guys-sorry- girls fought some dude named Tirek, I think?”

“Nah, I never fought him. That was all Twilight.”

“ Ah, come on.”

“Ok, ok, settle down. I’ll tell you a story.”

AJ told Zero about how she left Ponyville for Manehattan and lived with her Aunt and Uncle Orange for a bit when she was younger. She tasted the rich life and found it wasn’t for her. She returned to her true home and found out who she was due to a rainbow appearing in the sky from the direction of Ponyville. She told the tale of how Discord was released from his stone prison and how she and the girl defeated him. She went on to the first time the Changlings attacked, the return of Discord, how he and Fluttershy became friends, then more than friends.

“Now I just learned about their engagement 2 weeks ago, when you showed…”

AJ trailed of as something accrued to her.

“So what was up with that gold circle thing you came out of?”

“You know, I wish I knew. All I remember is shadows and pain. Lots and lots of pain.”

AJ didn’t know what to say to that, so she just let that hung in for a bit. She watched as the landscape zoom by her window. Thoughts began to creep into her mind at what Zero said.

Shadows and pain.

Like her.

Her and him.

The one that did … to her.

The one that took something important to her away.

The way he took it.

The way he-

“Hey AJ, you ok?”

AJ snapped back to reality and saw Zero was staring at her. There was something wet on her cheeks and she moved to wipe them clean.

“Yeah. Yeah, I’m fine. It’s just … never mind.”

“OK.”

Zero looked forward for a while until AJ asked, “So do you like it here, Zero?”

“Oh I love it. The sky is blue, the grass in green, and I don’t have to be in a box anymore.”

“Oh.”

“And I especially love today, because I’m finally getting out of the castle and going to see Canterlot, Capital of Equesrtia! OH, I can’t wait! I wonder if you could see it from here.”

Zero leaned over AJ to look out the window. AJ leaned back and saw his skin up close. Round and long slashes of scars retiled his neck and head. She almost asked him about them again until a thought accrued to her.

“You haven’t been out of the castle ‘till now?

“Well, technically I’ve been out running in Ponyville for exercise and such, but Princess Twilight always tells me to come back. All I do is read and get tested on. I almost know the names to half the staff in the castle. Hey look! There it is!”

AJ looked and saw that Canterlot was indeed coming into view. The train past through a tunnel and the cabin went dark. AJ felt something grab her hoof and yelled in surprise.

“Sorry.” A voice said next to her. “I wasn’t ready for that.”

“Ready for what?” AJ asked, her heart pounding in her chest.

“For it to get that dark that fast. WOW!”

The train broke thought the darkness and Canterlot stood before them .The train pulled into the station and after Zero finally let go of AJ’s hoof; they both went into the cargo car and grabbed their apple cart. As they left the train station, AJ glanced back and smiled at the wonder on Zero’s face.

“Big place, huh?”

Zero just nodded and smiled.

“Yeah. I remember when we took Apple Bloom here for the first time.”

As they walked, AJ asked a passerby where the Surplus center was. They pointed off towards the center of the city and AJ trotted off with Zero close behind. They eventually came to a cross street filled with the hustle and bustle of ponies going around their business.

“Dang,” AJ said. “This might take a while ta cross.”

They waited until AJ saw her chance. She jumped forward with her cart and melted into the crowed, leaving Zero behind.

“HEY! WHAT ABOUT ME?!”

“WHAT DO YA MEAN?” AJ called over her shoulder, “ COME ON!”

Zero started to walk and the crowed stopped. They parted and Zero easily caught up with AJ.

“What are they all staring at?” Zero almost whispered. “Is there something on my face?”

“I think it’s ‘cause they’ve never seen somethin’ like you before, Zee.”

As they walked, the crowed parted more until the two were standing in a clearing. The faces of the ponies were mostly of awe, but AJ noticed a few worried and disgusted looks in the crowd.

A little gray unicorn with a yellow man came out of the crowd and stood in front of Zero and looked up at him with wide eyes.

“Excuse me,” she said in a small voice, “What are you?”

Zero crouched down and stared at the filly, and then he smiled and patted the little one on the head.

“Me? My name is Zero, little one. What’s yours?”

“Te-Tender.”

“Well, little Tender, it’s nice to meet you.” Zero extended his hand towards Tender. Tender stared at the gesture and extended a shaky hoof to it. Zero shook it and AJ could feel something release from the crowd.

Relief, maybe?

Zero stood up and reached back into his cart and handed an apple to Tender. He waved as he and AJ made their way through the crowd into the Surplus center. Zero kept an eye on AJ’s cart but he was mostly looking around with wonder at all the hustle and bustle of the city. For a week he’s been getting used to the small town of Ponyville. But now…

He breathed in the air and felt the tightly laid cobble stones with his feet. He saw shops selling food, clothing, toys, music, bicycles, flowers, cakes, tools, furniture, little trinkets, and all sorts of things. He saw ponies in all sorts of colors, form blue and purple to bright pink and dark gray. Little ones ran around squealing and laughing, chasing each other and playing games. The sun was out. The sky was blue. The-

WHAM

Zero walked right into AJ’s cart, knocking the wind out of him.

“AAH! What was that?”

“OW,” Zero said, rubbing his stomach, “Why did you stop?”

“Cause we’re here. What’d ya run into me for?”

“I didn’t do it on purpose!”

Zero straightened up and saw that they had stopped in front of a big brick building with a sign that read, MR. SURPLUS’ SURPLUS!, in big bold letters.

“OK,” AJ said, turning around to face Zero, “You wait here. I’m gonna go in and see where Mr. Surplus wants my apples.”

Zero gave the thumbs up and nodded. He helped her unhook her cart and pushed it to the side of the building along with his. He leaned up against the wall and stared out at the city. Pegai were flying around, carrying things from food to books and a few were helping each other with a couch. Unicorns were levitating things in front or behind themselves as they walked about their business, hustling along their little ones.

Zero smiled and waved to the little ones that stared at him with amazement. He took three apples and began to juggle them. He drew in a small crowd as he flipped and threw and juggled the apples all around him. The crowd oohed and aahed as Zero’s stunts became more and more elaborate. He’d toss the apples high in the air and spun around and catch them at the last second. He gently juggled them with his feet while he did a hand stand.

The crowd was eating it up.

Zero kicked the apples into the air as he push off the ground with all of his might and flipped in the air. He landed on one leg with his arms and right leg sticking out in all directions. The apples fell perfectly on his limbs and head. The crowd stomped their hoof on the ground and cheered.

“THIS IS HORSE PUCKY!!!”

Zero fell over at the outburst that AJ emitted as she slammed the door open.

“What? What happened, AJ?”

“DANG IT ALL!”

“AJ! Whoa, girl! Calm down! What’s wrong?”

“Mr. Surplus has no idea how I am! Hedoesn’t remember our talk at the Grand Gala and has no idea why I’m here with my apples! He can’t take them!”

“What? Why?”

“His “assistance” said they have more apples then they can handle right now!”

“AJ! Why are you yelling this at me?”

“BECAUSE I WORKED HARD TO GET THOSE APPLES HERE AND I’M NOT GOING TA LET SOME FAT YELLOR BELLY STALLION TELL ME WHAT-”

Zero crouched down and hugged AJ before she could finish her though.

“I’m sorry, AJ. I’m sorry it didn’t work out with the Surplus store. I know you’ve worked hard for you and your family. Twilights told me all about what you’ve done for them.” He pulled away at arm’s length and looked deep into her emerald eyes. “But you’ve got to calm down. Its ok, Applejack. We’ll think of something.”

Zero hugged her again and stood up to retrieve the carts. He helped her with hers, then hooked up his own and proceeded back down the street. The crowd parted and went their separate ways.

“Hey, AJ,” Zero called back to her, “What happens to the apples you don’t sell?”

“They go to the pigs, or we ground ‘em up for fertilizer. But with this many apples…”

Zero nodded.

“What a waste. Can’t you magically preserve them or something?

“Yeah, but the apples lose a bit of their taste. Not by much, but enough to notice.”

“How long will these last without that preservation magic?”

“A while, but I sure would have liked to have sold them by now.”

They walked in silence for the rest of the way until they wound their way into the square again, which was now even more crowded now. Zero used his towering figure to scan the hustling ponies when he heard something.

“Come and get your music fix! Need a guitar? Interested in learning the drums? Want to serenade that special somepony with the Saxophone? We’ve got it all at the Purple Clef Lodge!”

Zero turned to a little shop and saw a green unicorn with a slightly yellow mane out front calling to the crowds of ponies passing by. Zero walked up to her and she reared back and fell through the door.

“Oh! Sorry! Didn’t mean to scare you! Here, let me help you.”

Zero unhooked his cart and extended a hand. The mare looked at it for a moment, and then took it with a shaky hoof. Zero pulled and the mare stood up on her hoofs and backed away a little.

“You ok out here-“

A blue pony with a brown mane came from the back room and stopped dead in his tracks. A small filly walked up next to him and gasped a little.

“Hi, Tender,” Zero said, giving a small wave towards the little one. The little filly ran around her father’s and peak around his leg. “H-hello, Mr. Zero.”

Her father came over and looked him over. ‘So, you know my daughter?”

“Yes, sir, I do.” Zero extended a hand towards him. “I’m Zero.”

“My name is Blue Note and this is my wife, Lila Note.”

“Nice ta meet ya two.” Aj said from the side. She turned towards Zero and said a low voice, “Come on, Zee. It’s been a long and disappointin’ day and I just want ta go home.”

“OK, AJ. Give me a second. I…. I don’t know. I feel… like I was drawn to this place.” He turned back to the couple and walking in towards them. “So why PURPLE CLEF LODGE for a name?”

“Well, it’s my father’s, actually,” Lila answered. “Or it was, before he past two years ago.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Thank you. It’s been tough without him. This store is failing, too. Ponies just don’t want to play music anymore, I guess.”

“I do!” piped up Tender.

“Oh really?” zero said, crouching down to her. “What’s your favorite instrument?”

Tender ran out of the room and came back, floating a small string instrument next to her.

“THIS ONE!” she said excitedly, floating the thing towards Zero.

Zero extended this hand out and grabbed the thing. It reminded him of a ukulele.

“Oh! Nice choice, little one.” Zero bent down and ruffled up her mane a bit. He played a few notes and the sound was shard and clear. His fingers then began to move on their own. His hand strummed away at a tone he didn’t quite but felt it was a song that was part of him. Finally it clicked and Zero began to sing.

Somewhere over the rainbow,

Way up high,

And the dreams that you dreamed of

Once in a lullaby.

His voice got a little bit louder as walk away from the store front into the busy street. He closed his eyes and sang about blue birds flying and lemon drops high over the tops of chimneys. He sang about friends shaking hand and asking how do they do, but that was just there way of saying they loved them and how what a wonderful world it was. He sang about trees of green and red roses too, he sang of children growing up in a wonderful world.

Zero sang his heart out until he felt something wet on his cheek. He finished the song and opened his eyes to find a crowd of ponies staring at him. They clapped their hoofs and cheered and places coins into a hat by his feet. He wiped his cheeks and asked what the hat was for.

“Oh. Well, a few ponies came up and throw them at ya feet, but you were movin’ around a lost and I didn’t want ya to slip, so I throw it down there.”

Zero picked it up and felt the weight of his haul. He looked at the store, then to Aj and her apples.

“I’ve got a crazy idea, AJ.”

“What do ya mean?”

“Watch.”

Zero walked into the store again and knelt down in front of Tender.

“Look at what your ukulele did.”

Tenders looked at the hat with wide eyes. Zero held it towards Mrs. Note. “I want you to have it, Mrs. Note.”

“Oh no, I couldn’t!”

“Please. For your store.”

With tears weld up in her eyes, Mrs. Note levitated the hat towards herself. “Thank you, Zero.”

“Yes. Thank you, sir.”

“THANK YOU, MR.ZERO!”

“Ummmm…,” AJ said from the door, “I’d hate ta say this, but can I have my hat back?”

“Oh yes. Yes of course, deary.”

“I have a favor to ask of you too, actually,” said zero as he rufflerd up Tenders mane again and handed back her ukulele.

“Anything.”

“Could I barrow that guitar over there?”

Mrs. Note floated the guitar that Zero pointed at to him. Zero adjusted the shoulder strap and pulled a pick from the holder on the side. He strummed a bit and tuned it to his liking until he was satisfied. He picked away and walked out into the street again, letting his fingers play away as he sang a song.

Given me more lovin’ then I ever had.

Ya make it all better when I’m fellin’ sad.

Make me feel special even when I know I’m not.

You make me feel good when I feel so bad.

Never getting’ mad,

I’m so glad I have you.

Love bein’ around you.

You make it easy,

As easy as one, two, one, two three, four.

There’s only one thing, two do, three words, four you.

I LOVE APPLES!

There’s only one way, two say, those three words,

And that’s what I’ll do.

I LOVE YOU!

Zero strummed away as the crowd bobbed their head to the song. In the middle of the second verse, zero told the crowd that the apples in the cart were all for sale; One for a silver crown, two for silver and a bit, and four for a gold piece. The crowd slowly moved towards the carts and began to buy the delicious fruit. Mr. Note came running out of his store and placed a guitar case on the ground to keep the money in. Zero played song after song until fingers felt like they would fall off. The pony crown clapped and dispersed as AJ ran up and through her front hoofs around his neck.

“That was amazing, Zero! We sold both carts Look at all the money we got!”

‘That’s great, Applejack! But I’d like to give 30% to the Notes for helping me find a piece of me today, and since I am using their guitar.”

“Fine with me!”

They counted the money and split the necessary amount up and gave it to the Notes. Zero handed the guitar to Mrs. Note, but she pushed it back to him.

“Keep it. You look so happy when you play.”

“Thank you! Thank you very much, Mrs. Note!”

Zero and AJ waved to the Notes as they made their way to train station. They bought the tickets for the last express train for Ponyville and place their carts in the back when it came. On the way home, zero strummed away again as he softly sang to the passengers. AJ yawned and felt her eye lids grow have to the soft sound on the music. She yawned again and promised herself she would close her eyes for a second.

Zero played until he felt AJ head on his shoulder. He stopped and placed it carefully in its case. AJ moved closer to Zero and sighed a bit in her sleep. Zero smiled and looked at the sleepy pony. When they reached their stop, Zero scooped up AJ in one arm and grabbed his guitar in the other. He found a unicorn who, upon asking, agreed to lift AJ’s cart onto Zero’s cart. Zero placed his guitar and hooked himself up with disturbing AJ to mush. She stirred in her sleep and wrapped her hoofs around Zeros arm. He made his way through the light filled town to AJ’s farm. He unhooked and knocked on the door softly.

Big Mac opened the door and saw Zero holding a finger to his lips. Big Mac nodded and led Zero to AJ’s room. Zero took of AJ”s hat and placed in on the hat rack in the corner of her room. He placed her on her bed and pulled the covers over her. She sighed and stirred a bit but didn’t fully wake up.

Zero exited the room and descended the stairs, telling Big Mac everything that happened. He waved good night to him and took one last look at AJ’s window. He smiled and grabbed his guitar from the cart and headed out for Twilight’s castle, where a hot shower and a cool bed waited for him.

Comments ( 2 )

It's sad that this isn't going to update for two years but what can you do...:fluttercry::heart:

“AHHHHH! Well, Miss Applejack, we’ve got a couple of hours before we reach Canterlot. Tell me about yourself.”

*Screams* So, tell me about yourself.

Login or register to comment