• Published 3rd Dec 2014
  • 3,951 Views, 248 Comments

Sweet Pea - CartoonNerd12



The spin-off to The Midnight Dance starring the CMC as they take a journey to an island kingdom to face challeges that lie ahead

  • ...
4
 248
 3,951

Chapter 3

Rumble had finally finished swabbing the deck as Celestia was setting down her sun.

"You done, boy?" the admiral came up to him.

"Yes, sir. The whole deck has been swabbed from top to bottom."

"Good. Head down below to get some rest. You got a busy day tomorrow." He went back to his duties.

Rumble could only sigh and looked over the side of the vessel.

"Feeling seasick?"

He turned around and saw the pony responsible for making him work on the ship, "Shouldn't you be getting your beauty sleep?"

"Funny. Actually, I was wondering how you were holding up and wanted to find out how you got here to begin with."

"Well, there's not much to say. I snuck past the guards, hopped on top of the train, got off at the first stop, and found this ship. I sneaked on board and from there, you found me and now, I'm your indentured servant."

"You're welcome." she rolled her eyes.

Sudden guilt came over him, "Actually, I do have to thank you…"

She raised her brow, "How so?"

"You could have sent me to prison, but instead, you chose to let me decide to stay to serve you, thus earning my freedom… If it seems I'm ungrateful, it's because no one's ever caught me before. You're the first one who's ever done that."

"Wow, um, thanks for the compliment."

"I'm curious, but how can a princess such as yourself catch an awesome colt such as me?"

"I wasn't always a princess…"

"What do you mean? You grew up in the palace, didn't you?"

"Yes, but I'm adopted."

"Really?" He actually felt surprised by this news.

She nodded, "I knew my birth parents for a little bit, but… they passed on."

"I'm sorry. I know what that's like…"

"You do?"

He sadly nodded, "My parents were on the weather team back in Cloudsdale. One night, there was a huge storm. They couldn't get a handle on it and…" he turned his head away, pain etched in his face.

"I understand…"

"So it was just me and my big brother fending for ourselves until… he got caught and was taken to jail. I was forced to take care of myself and it was frustrating I was unable to help him out… I still can't."

She put her hoof on his shoulder in comfort, "Shortly after my parents had gone, I was alone in the streets, but one day, Rainbow Dash found me and decided she could use me to help out with her outdoor activities. She became like my mentor until she was kidnapped and returned with the rest of her sisters and their long-lost dad. She then brought me before her parents and next thing I knew, I was adopted along with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. We've been a family ever since…"

He smiled, "You sure were lucky. And… I'm sorry of what I thought about you before. Turns out you do know what I'm going through…"

She gave him a small smile, "Hey, when we get back to Equestria, remind me to bail your brother out…"

He gasped and looked at her in bewilderment, "You… you mean that? You'd do that?"

"Hey, I thought of some pretty harsh things about you, but now that I know the truth… It's scary, but we do have something in common…"

"Heh, I guess we do at that…"

"If you want, you don't have to come with us with we reach Marendelle."

"Nah, it might be fun and I do owe you one."

She smirked, "Then get some shut-eye. We got work to do tomorrow."

"We?"

"Yeah, you and me, working on the ship together."

"You know, you are one weird princess."

She punched his shoulder, "And you're a strange thief." She went back to her cabin and did a glance back to him while winking before going inside.

It was if an arrow struck though his heart.

It was late at night as Apple Bloom woke up after hearing a thump. She saw her sisters sleeping next to her in the bed they're shared in the cabin. She saw a crack underneath the door and a shadow moving past it. She decided to go investigate and moved quietly to the door, slowly opening and closing it. She saw the figure's shadow move to the bout of the ship. She caught up to it and was stunned to see Pip out at this hour.

"Pip?"

He turned around and was equally stunned to see her, "Apple Bloom? I mean- Your Highness?"

"You can call me Apple Bloom. It's just us."

"Right… of course…"

"What are you doing up this late?"

"Oh, just… looking at the ocean and the night sky."

"How come?"

"It's mostly to help me think."

"About what?"

"You sure like to ask a lot of questions."

"Well, I want to know more about you."

"Really? Why?"

"Now who's asking the questions."

They ended up giggling.

"To answer, I've dreamt of moments like this… Getting on a ship and going on an adventure… but I got a job to keep, so I can't really enjoy it as much, but that's okay. It'll all be worth it when I get back home."

"Why's that?"

"Um, I'm not really sure a princess of your caliber would understand it."

"Oh, I wouldn't be too sure… Try me."

"If you're sure?"

"I'm sure."

He sighed, "Here it goes: my aunt and I have this inn back in Pony-Ville and well, it seems we've run into some money problems…"

"Oh, no…"

"And so I took the job as your personal escort to earn enough to help pay the bills and get the inn back on track."

"That's so sweet of you!"

"It's the least I could do. After all, my Aunt Hazel Nut has raised me ever since I was a baby. It's my way of repaying back to her."

"Oh… you never knew your parents?"

"Nope… I never saw them…"

There was silence until she said, "I never knew mine, either…"

"What…?"

"I was adopted into the royal family." she explained, "But before that, I was in an orphanage when I was an infant. As I grew older, I hated it, so I ran away and roamed the streets of Canterlot. I came across Applejack and she took me to the castle where I started working. She looked after me until the day came when the king came back and Applejack had me before her parents and before I knew it, they adopted me, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle into their family. We had never been happier since then."

"Whoa… that's amazing!"

"Well, you had a slightly better childhood than I did. But I am grateful I was taken in by Mom and Dad."

"I wouldn't say I had a better childhood. Because of my small size when I was born, I was named Pipsqueak. And for as long as I can remember, I was teased for my shortness compared to the other fillies and colts at my school."

"I always teased for having a blank flank for a long time; Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, too."

He chuckled, "It seems as much as we have been blessed, life always tries to make it hard on us."

"Tell me about it. Yesterday, my older sisters were wondering if I had a coltfriend yet just because they're already married and have kids."

"Do you?"

"Of course not. The right colt hasn't come yet." she glimpsed at him and turned her head away.

He found himself blushing and turning his own head away, "Oh, that's… too bad, because any colt would be pretty lucky to have some pony like you around…"

"You honestly mean that?" she looked back at him with hope in her eyes.

He faced her, answering, "I do…" They gazed into each other's eyes.

They were about to kiss until AB stopped and cleared her throat, "Well, um… we should get back to sleep."

"Sleep… sure…" they moved away from each other and he went down below as she went back to the cabin.

The rest of the night seem to go well as the sisters slept side by side, but then, Sweetie started to toss and turn. In her dream, she was singing her song in this grand ballroom until she heard someone calling out to her. It sounded like a stallion's voice begging for her to reply. She woke up with a gasp. She couldn't take it anymore. For the last four nights, she had the same dream constantly. She would start singing and someone would call out to her, always the same voice.

She looked out to the port window and saw the stars, "Why…? Just why…?" she told them in a hushed tone. Knowing she wasn't going to get her answer tonight, she tried going back to sleep, but it was never easy.

It was time for breakfast, first thing in the morning. The admiral had Rumble up and grudged, the Pegasus made it to the brig, only to his surprise to see Scootaloo up and at'em already.

"Morning, sunshine!" she saw him come in.

"Uh, good morning?"

"Come on, we got the whole ship to feed!"

"Isn't that the cook's job?"

"Oh, I gave him the morning off, so it'll just be us. Now get a move on and help me out!"

"Scootaloo, you drink way too much coffee in the morning…"

"I know. Now hurry up!"

"Okay, okay, sheesh."

After a while of stirring oatmeal, Scootaloo noticed how bent Rumble's wing was. "Hey, doesn't your wing look a little misshapen?"

"What this? Oh, it's nothing," he tried to move it, but he felt pain and tried to cover up, "See?" he had on a fake smile.

Scoots wasn't all that convinced, "Let me see it."

"That's not nessacery!" he quickly said, taking a step back.

"Yes it is, now let me see it!"

"I told you, it's fine!" he dodged her.

She had to chase him around before she could tackle him, "Oh, hold still, you big baby!" She held the wing to examine it, "Luckily, it isn't broken, but it is sprained. You need a cast to keep it from moving." she found bandages under the counter and wrapped them around his wing.

He was grumbling, but secretly, he was touched by her concern and he hoped he would be able to do something for her in return.

"How did you sprain this thing, anyway?"

"Must've been while you were chasing me yesterday when you found me here. I tried flying away before you could catch me, but I was in too much pain to do so."

"I'm sorry…"

"Nah, don't be. I was in the moment."

"But I should make it up to you."

"Forget it. You're helping my brother out, that's all I care about."

She smiled at him as he returned the grin. The two gazed at each other as her violet eyes were growing big. Then, the ship's bell rang, reminding them get back to work.

All five of them sat at a table as they ate the oatmeal.

"Mmm-hm! This is has got to be your best meal yet, Scoots!" Apple Bloom complimented.

"Well, Rumble did add in the sugar."

"It looked so boring. I had to do something!"

"You know it's weird, but weren't you at each other's throats yesterday? Now you're willing to eat around each other?" Pip questioned.

"Meh, I just realized I was being a bit nasty to the poor guy. I might as well loosen up." She gave him a nudge and he returned it.

Bloom looked over to Pip and said, "Say, uh, Pip…? Would you like to come with me to the observatory on top of the ship this afternoon?"

"Would I?! I mean… Sure, we can do that." He gave her a cheeky grin.

AB could feel her heart flutter.

Sweetie Belle looked between her sisters that were once her childhood friends before their adoption. She couldn't help but laugh inside. On Sweetie's birthday a couple of days ago, Scootaloo said she would be single forever. Well, that had certainly been proven false now, since she had obviously liked Rumble, even if he messed her over in the first place. Apple Bloom didn't think the right colt would come to her, but that was wrong because she crushed on Pip and he seemed to feel the same way. This got her to thinking that ever since their big sisters asked them if they had coltfriends yet, they had to answer 'no'. Could it be that they knew they would fall in love very soon? But it was more or less just a coincidence, much like when their older sisters found love at the same time. It was eerie, but it was just one of those things that happened.

So far, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom were proven wrong. Could it be that she would be next? She did say no guy would be interested in her… Maybe there would be? She wouldn't dare to hope, just because her sisters got colts didn't mean she would. For all they knew, her claim could be true…

The observatory was crowded, but Bloom and Pip didn't mind. If anything, they found each other's company inviting. Below them, Scootaloo and Rumble were on the observation deck and she went up to the edge of the front, holding out her arms and shouting, "I'm queen of the world!"

Rumble was chuckling and joined her from behind, holding on to her side.

Sweetie Belle found herself at the side of ship, feeling the wind blowing into her face and the sails. It was clear skies from here on out.

As time went by, Pip and Bloom were conversing when he noticed something dark on the horizon.

"Uh-oh…"

"What uh-oh?"

"Looks a storm's about to hit us."

She gasped as she saw the incoming clouds and shouted down.

"Admiral! Storm clouds, up ahead!"

The admiral was at the helm when he replied, "Thank you, lass! I'll take it from here, so you best get down from there!"

"Right!" they both said and blushed at each other as they climbed out.

The storm came quicker than anticipated and the crew had to try to keep the ship steady from the growing waves, making it bob up and down. The princesses, with Pip and Rumble, headed towards the brig until Sweetie noticed the loose sail in the rain and wind. She knew the ship couldn't lose a sail. She used her magic to grab the rope, but the wind was so strong, it was hard for her to pull. She had managed to tie down the sail manually and was almost to the side of the bout when suddenly, a lightning bolt struck close by! It scared her into falling overboard!

She gave out a high piercing scream that caused the girls and guys to rush back up to the bout. They just saw her land in the water.

"Sweetie Belle!" her sisters cried out and Apple Bloom found a life preserver to throw at her.

"Here! Catch!" Scootaloo threw it and Sweetie, while coughing, got to it.

"Just hang in there!" Pip shouted.

But the sea had other plans as it tossed around took Sweetie Belle with it, shifting her away from the ship!

"No!" she screamed, "Help!"

"NO!" The four on the ship yelled, seeing her being helplessly swept away by the current and out of their sight…