• Published 25th Nov 2014
  • 12,080 Views, 601 Comments

My Little Girl - CrackedInkWell



One night in 1986, the twelve year old Lauren Faust wakes up finding a talking pony under her bed. She follows the pegasus though a tunnel into a place called Equestria.

  • ...
73
 601
 12,080

9: …. And the Dream


“Lauren?” a familiar voice called out in the distance.

“Lauren? Where art thou?” Lauren opened her eyes. She seemed to be lying on a cloud that was high up in the night sky.

“Lauren, speak to us! Where didst thou go?”

“Uh, hello?” she called out. Lauren wasn't sure if this was a good idea or not, but she didn't feel scared.

“Lauren? Is it thou?” the voice was coming closer. Lauren got up from the light, fluffy but still solid material. As far as she could see there were either clouds or the starry night that had the moon at its fullest. “Lauren?” This time the voice was coming from right below her feet. She looked down to find a horn sticking right in front of her a few feet away. Stepping back, the horn gave way to a head. A blue one at that, it was the other princess.

“Lauren! Thank our moon that We found thee!” She jumped out of the cloud to embrace her. The Princess of the Night gave her a crushing hug. Even though the air from Lauren’s lungs wasn't getting oxygen, she waved her hands around trying to signal her to stop.

“Oh! Sorry.” Luna let her go with a blush, remembering how strong she really is and let her mother breathe. “Oh Lauren, We have been so scared that We might have lost thee.”

“Why are you talking like that?” Lauren asked now having air in her lungs again.

At first, the dark alicorn was confused until she realized, “Oh. Forgive us- I mean, forgive me for my speech. I am still struggling to grasp ‘modern speech’ as they say. But back to more important matters, are you alright?”

“I… I guess so.”

“We- I have heard about what had happened between you and my sister.”

“She hates me, doesn't she?”

This surprised Luna, “This seems a bit, contradictory child. What makes you say that?”

“Well, she yelled at me didn't she?”

“Lauren, I believe you misunderstood. As I was told, she reacted that way because she was worried about you.”

“But she didn't give me a chance to tell her why Spike and I were there.”

“Why were you there anyway?” Luna asked, changing the subject.

“You guys were taking so long with your meeting that Spike said we can grab some donuts real quick and be back before you got done. I was going to tell your sister about it, but she wouldn't listen. Why is it that grown-ups don’t want to listen?”

Luna put a hoof to her chin in thought, “I don’t know if I would answer this right, but perhaps it may be because that those ‘grown-ups’ such as Celestia didn't listen is because that she might care for you so much that they assume they know everything that you need without asking. To your credit, you're right, she should have listened to what you had to say beforehoof - but she is regretful that she had let her emotions get the best of her to hurt you. She is seeking forgiveness from you.”

Lauren looked up, unsure whether or not she could believe what she was hearing. “Is she really?”

“Of course, don’t you think she’s sorry for what she’s done?”

“Well… Not really.”

“Oh? And why is that?”

“I don’t know whenever people say they’re sorry that they really mean it.”

Luna tilted her head quizzically. “I don’t follow.”

“Has anyone ever told you that they’re sorry for something but they not because they end up doing the same thing over and over again? When one of my brothers ripped the nose off of my favorite toy, a Snoopy doll, he said that he was sorry, but he kept breaking my other toys so I try to hide them away from him.”

“You really think that no one is ever truly sorry?”

“I don’t think I've ever met one who ever is.”

Luna then got down on the cloud to lay on her stomach. “Lauren, may I tell you a story?” Confused, Lauren let her continue by giving a few nods. “Once upon a time, there were two sisters who ruled in a kingdom called Equestria. One ruled the day had the duty to raise the sun. While the other ruled over the night, and she was in charge to raise the moon as well as to place the stars in the sky. At first, the two sisters ruled their kingdom in harmony. But the eldest sister, who ruled the day, was seen by their subjects as a great and wise ruler. The other, however, was hardly ever given a compliment. Not by her leadership skills, not for her wisdom, not for her night, or even to keep nightmares away. She had for so long had gone without a word of appreciation that she wondered why. She found out that many, if not all of her subjects were always asleep, never to give wonder to her, or her night.

“Night by night, bitterness grew in her. She asked herself, ‘Why is it, that my older sister is getting all the attention and not me? Why is it that I have gone for so long without anyone so much as giving me a single word about the great art I put out night after night?’ She tried turned to her sister, but she was so engulfed in her subjects, her endless parades of praise, enwrapped in her glory that she too ignored her. This broke her little sister's’ heart as you can imagine. She cried, thinking to herself that she was completely useless and felt betrayed from every single pony around her.

“It was then, in her moment of feeling invisible that spirits came to her. These spirits gave her false promises that if she gave into them, not only will they’ll make things right for her, but they’ll make Equestria appreciate her night by making it last for all eternity. In her bitterness, she agreed. One night she called out her sister so she can have the spirits do the rest. What the little sister didn't expect, is that these spirits took over her body, shaping her form into something dark. And even against her will, they use her body as a puppet to try to kill her sister. But her elder sister had with her the Elements of Harmony, which is the very source of all of the magic in Equestria, and, regretfully, used them to banish her own sister to the moon. It is on the moon where she stayed for a thousand years.

“During that time, the younger sister blamed the spirits for having her end up there. But the spirits used their silver tongues to justify that neither of them is at fault, but it was her elder sister and her kingdom that has betrayed them. So for a thousand years, the only company she had was the spirits that added the fire to her rage.

“When a thousand years came and went, she escaped from her prison back into her kingdom to retake Equestria. However, amongst her bitterness, amongst her threats and determination, six very brave mares stood up and together, they banished these dark spirits from the younger sister forever. But now, with the spirits gone and have been given back control over her own body, she was weak. And then, came her elder sister, whom she thought that after all this time, she too might have developed a grudge against her. That in that weakened state, she may deliver the final strike. But her surprise, that was not what happened.”

“Then what happened?”

“The elder sister wished that they would put the bitterness behind them so that they could be family once more, and asked her younger sister to forgive her for what pain that she had caused her. You could only imagine the tears that formed in her eyes when she heard those words as she accepted it. As well as asking her to forgive her transgressions she caused. Now, do you know who these sisters in the story are?”

Lauren thought for a moment, “I’m not sure.”

“The little sister was me. Lauren, I for one do believe that anyone can not only be forgiven, but they do mean when they say, ‘I’m sorry’. Lauren, I am asking you- no, I am begging you, please, forgive my sister. I know her, she did not mean to make you cry. She didn't mean to make you run away from us. Please, come back.”

“Well…” Lauren paused. With a sigh, she relented, “Alright, can you promise that she will listen to me?”

Luna smiled, “Of course. Now, Lauren, wake up.”

“What?”

“I said, wake-”

_*_

“-up. Lauren, please wake up.” Lauren opened her eyes. She found that she was once again in Celestia’s room, in Celestia’s bed, with Celestia herself sitting beside it.