• Published 29th Apr 2012
  • 2,077 Views, 104 Comments

Ponymon Mystery Dungeon: Rainbow Rescue Team - Insert_Name_Here



Two ponies work together to save Equestria as a Rescue Team

  • ...
0
 104
 2,077

Chapter 5

I stared at 8-Bit in shock. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

“A thousand years?” I exclaimed, “Are you sure?”

8-Bit nodded vigorously. “Of course I’m sure! The prophecy about Nightmare Moon returning after a thousand years after Celestia used the elements to banish her to the moon? Oh, I’m positive. Plus, it was daytime just a few minutes ago and now it’s nighttime. Dude, we’ve been thrown right into the middle of that legend a thousand years ago. We’ve gone back in time!

“But…how?” I asked as I rubbed my aching head with a hoof. 8-Bit rolled her eyes.

“How in the hoof am I supposed to know?” she said, as I heard irritation creep into her voice. Understandable; we were in stressful circumstances. We both sighed in confusion. Star Swirl looked over us curiously.

“You two are from the future? Fascinating! I have never heard of such an event occurring before!” he exclaimed enthusiastically. He then shook his head. “Nevertheless, we’re wasting time. I shall help you be restored to your original time afterwards. Let us be off!” With that, he galloped off again.

I broke out into a huge grin when a thought occurred to me and I looked at 8-Bit, now that Star Swirl was out of earshot. “If we’re a thousand years in the past, that means we’re no longer banished! We can go back to Ponyville!” 8-Bit looked at me sadly, but forced a smile.

“It’s great that we’re not banished anymore and all that, but maybe I should tell you that Ponyville didn’t exist a thousand years ago.” She looked away and trotted after Star Swirl.

My heart sank. Not only did we not belong as was beginning to be the norm for us, but we were now trapped in the middle of nowhere a thousand years in the past, forced to change pony history. Then, a thought occurred to me. If we could help Star Swirl find the Elements of Harmony for Princess Celestia, then we might not be fugitives anymore in the future once we got back! I decided to keep this thought to myself though because 8-Bit had already caught up to Star Swirl. He glanced at 8-Bit’s saddlebags and my sword.

“I take it you both are part of a rescue team?” he inquired. 8-Bit nodded, but I voiced my thoughts of confusion.

“They had rescue teams back then?”

“You mean ‘now’?” he said with a chuckle. I flushed with embarrassment and nodded. “Silver Blade, rescue teams have been around for centuries, and from what I am hearing, never appeared to go away. If you two do not mind, I would much appreciate joining your team.”

We both looked at each other nodded with huge grins. Having a unicorn with us would help significantly in our quest. I extended my hoof to him, which he grasped firmly.

“Welcome to team Free Souls, Star Swirl!”

He smiled. “I am honored, although I apologize if I am not much use to you… I was never a good spell caster and I fear I never will be…” He sighed miserably. I put a hoof on his shoulder.

“Hey, it’s cool colt-“

“In what way is the situation cold…?” he interrupted. He gave me a blank, confused stare. I rolled my eyes. Of course, slang wasn’t invented until later.
“It’s alright colt, all of us have certain disabilities, so we all balance each other out,” I rephrased. He nodded in understanding. We began a steady canter to converse our energy for when we may need it again. After a while, I heard some rustling from the bushes nearby. I dismissed it as a small animal or maybe the wind and kept trotting.
Out of nowhere, a black pegasus with a blue mane leapt out of the rustling bushes and slammed into 8-Bit, sending her reeling a little bit. She directed an angry growl at him.

“Hey jerk! Watch where you’re going!”

He smirked, but didn’t stop galloping. “Sorry, my bad,” he called back in a raspy voice that was obviously vacant of remorse.

“Stupid pickpocket… Lemme see if he really took anything.” 8-Bit flipped open her saddlebag and rummaged through it. She let out a short gasp.

“Something wrong?” I asked her. She turned to me with a panic-stricken face.

“He took my sapphire!!” she cried in despair.

For a moment, I had no idea what she was talking about. Then I remembered the sapphire I had given her. I raised an eyebrow.

“You brought it with you?”

“I knew we may not be able to go home again and it’s one of my most precious items. So yes, I took it. Sue me,” she grumbled miserably.

Star Swirl trotted over to us. “Why do you not just search for another?” he suggested.

“I don’t want another sapphire, I want that sapphire! The one that my best friend risked his life to get me!” she shouted, and took off in the direction the thief had taken.

“Eight Bit!!” I called after her, but my warning fell on deaf ears. Star Swirl and I looked at each other briefly and galloped after her. We dodged branches and tree roots as we weaved in and out of the trees, following our fellow team member. I knew Star Swirl had a greater mission at hand, but at least he had the decency to not leave another team member hanging.
When we arrived at the clearing, we found ourselves standing in front of bridge with a thick fog shielding the depths from our vision. I looked around for 8-Bit in vain. Where could she have gone?

“Silver Blade, look yonder!” he exclaimed as he pointed his hoof across the bridge.
I looked up and my gaze fell upon a small fortress buried in the trees. It looked newly made, and I wondered what its purpose was for. I dashed across the bridge with my blue unicorn friend following closely behind me. I rammed into the wooden door with my head, breaking the door open. What I saw made me hesitate however.
In the very far end of the room, there was a…it couldn’t have been a pony because this thing was the size of a horse. She had a black coat and was a pegasus, but not just that. She was also a unicorn. How could she be a unicorn and a pegasus?! She had green eyes that were slit, like a cat’s, as well as a mane that looked like it were flowing with the night itself. Despite her intimidating appearance, I was fueled again when I saw 8-Bit pinned to a wall with the magic of the unicorn-pegasus. Next to her stood the pegasus that stole 8-Bit’s sapphire.

“Lemme down you stupid mules!!” 8-Bit shouted, but she went unnoticed by her captors.

“I have lured the unicorn here, as you asked,” he said in that same raspy voice.

“Very well Shadowbolt, you are dismissed,” she said, and Shadowbolt dissipated into a cloud of purple smoke.

“What is she?!” I asked Star Swirl. I didn’t ask him out of panic or fear, but because I wanted to know what I was up against so I could take her down all the faster. 8-Bit was in danger; that was the only thing my mind registered.

“She’s an alicorn. That was Princess Luna, but her heart gave way to the darkness and as of now she is Nightmare Moon,” he said sadly.

“Well whatever she is, I’m gonna take her down.” I growled and stamped a hoof. Nightmare Moon laughed at me.

“What do you, a small pathetic earth pony, think you can do against me, the Queen of the Night?” She laughed again. Star Swirl stepped forward, mimicking my action just a few moments prior.

“Where are the Elements of Harmony?!” he called out.

“Forget the feather Elements of Harmony! Get me outta here first!” 8-Bit growled and squirmed against the wall. Again, she went ignored.

The black alicorn laughed again, and when she spoke again, her voice was cold with resentment.“Do you really wish to know? Very well, I shall give you hint. They are in the belly of the beast.”

Star Swirl gave me a confused, yet nervous glance then looked back at Nightmare Moon. “Of which beast are you referring to?” he asked cautiously.

“Oh…simply the Ursa Major!!”she shouted and Star Swirl took a few steps back.

“W-what?!” he stammered in surprise. “No! You can’t have!!” he cried.

“You doubt the power of the night? Your lack of faith will cost you your lives!!” Nightmare Moon’s horn glowed with a deep purple aura and the area grew significantly colder. The air seemed to shift and move until there was a tornado swirling in the middle of the room the same color as the black alicorn’s magic. When it faded, a lighter purple beast began to materialize where the magic tornado had been.

It was slightly transparent and had the body of the bear with the head of a rat. Its red eyes seemed to have an unearthly glow about them and it roared, baring its rows of razor sharp teeth. It reared on its hind legs and crashed through the roof, leaving a gaping hole where the roof had been. The Ursa Major now stood fifty feet tall, towering over both Star Swirl and I. I looked at him with a sense of urgency.

“Star Swirl, you have to defeat that thing with your magic!”

He stared at me in disbelief. “Have you seen the size of that beast?! Are you trying to have me killed?!” he cried.

I guess he had a point, but somehow I knew there had to be more to this pony than he let on. Maybe he didn’t know it, but I knew he was capable of greater things. I lowered my voice, keeping it steady and locked eyes with him.

“Star Swirl, if you don’t defeat the Ursa Major and recover the Elements of Harmony, Equestria will be covered in darkness forever. It’s all up to you; the future of Equestria is in your hooves.”

He gasped in exasperation and stared at the Ursa Major helplessly. “There’s no possible way I can defeat a monster that large! I barely got away from the Cockatrice!”

Using the same even voice, I told him, “You may not be able to defeat it, but you won’t know that until you try. It may sound cliché, but believe in yourself, Star Swirl. The most important thing is to try.”

He took a shaky breath and closed his eyes. “Very well. I… I will try.” He took a firm stance and his horn started to glow. Faintly at first, it gradually increased in intensity. The monster roared again and took a swipe at Star Swirl. When the unicorn opened his eyes again, they were glowing white. Purple magic extended from his horn and coated him with a barrier, deflecting the blow. The Ursa screamed in fury.

“Now, it is time to put you back where you belong,” he said firmly and the Ursa Major began levitating in the air, surrounded by Star Swirl’s magic.

“No!!” screamed Nightmare Moon, infuriated that her control was being usurped.
She shot more magic out of her horn, trying to pull her puppet back down. I noticed she was forming another spell, which was aimed at Star Swirl. I wanted to warn him, but Nightmare Moon was quicker than my vocal chords and several lasers slammed into his shield, weakening his defenses significantly. He was terribly outmatched and I knew he couldn’t last much longer. I quickly ran behind the black alicorn, drew my sword and waited, trying to time myself just right.
Suddenly, I jumped from behind Nightmare Moon and slammed the hilt of my sword into her horn. She shouted in surprise and her magic was temporarily dispelled, which wasn’t surprising. She was already spreading it too far by holding 8-Bit captive. When I hit her horn, 8-Bit fell to the ground and I ran to her side.

“You alright?” I asked her.

She looked up at me and me and smiled. She reached into her bag, pulled out her sapphire and showed it to me, her smile growing even bigger. “Yeah, I’m fine.” I nodded and turned back around the help Star Swirl in any way that I could. I felt a hoof on my shoulder and turned around. “Silver Blade…” she started. I didn’t know why, but her face seemed to be a darker shade, lit by a red light underneath her coat.

“Yeah?” I prompted.

“I…” she began, but was cut off from Star Swirl’s cries from across the room.

“Silver Blade!!” he called, “I can’t get the elements out of its stomach!!”

I looked at 8-Bit and she nodded, seeming to have to same idea. I looked over at Star Swirl, knowing he couldn’t hear me but saying the words anyway, “I’m on it.”

I dashed around the wildly flailing Ursa while avoiding its limbs that were destroying everything they came in contact with until I was facing its front. 8-Bit stopped alongside me and looked at me with one her mischievous grins.

“Ya ready?” she asked. I nodded and she wrapped her hooves around my stomach, pulling me up. She began spinning in circles, building momentum as she did. Faster, and faster, and faster she spun. Then she turned at a forty-five degree angle upwards and I was sent flying to where the Ursa Major hovered.
As I flew, I drew my sword again. I held it firmly in my mouth, knowing the impact wasn’t going to be a soft one. With the point out, I collided with the Ursa Major’s belly, my sword going halfway through its impenetrateable skin. I don’t think I seriously hurt it, but I think the toothpick being poked in its stomach definitely ticked it off. It roared, but in mid-roar burped up five rocks, which fell at Star Swirl’s feet.

“You’re in the clear!!” I shouted at him against the swirling wind.

He nodded and the Ursa Major began to rise. For a moment, it looked like the stars themselves had descended into the room we were in and they tiny bright lights began wrapping around the Ursa in blinding speed until it vanished. The white glow faded from his eyes and his breathing was heavy. Nightmare Moon snorted and tossed her head indifferently.

“So you have the Elements of Harmony. I commend you for this small victory, but you still cannot use the elements!” she exclaimed.

“But I can,” a voice said from behind us. All three of us turned to see a white alicorn with a flowing mane that radiated bright colors like pink, green, and blue. Her eyes were purple, and she had a bright light that seemed to radiate from herself. The rocks lifted from the ground and floated around her as her tiara seemed to glow. Bright light shot from her horn, temporarily blinding everyone in the room. The only way we had knowledge of what was taking place was listening to Nightmare Moon’s screams of defeat. When it cleared, we saw the light residue from where the beam had shot skyward.
The moon seemed to have crescents that it didn’t have before in the shape of Nightmare Moon. Soon, the moon went down and the sun rose, bringing morning light into the ruins of the fortress which illuminated the carnage from our battle. We turned to the alicorn.

“Princess Celestia!” Star Swirl immediately bowed his head, and I could feel 8-Bit tense up next to me. Star Swirl looked up at the princess. “What did you do?”

Celestia looked up at the moon sadly and sighed. “The Elements of Harmony are truly unpredictable… It appears Nightmare Moon is to be banished for a thousand years. I will miss Luna greatly during those times…”

“Why one thousand years?” Star Swirl inquired. Celestia shook he head.

“That is what the elements chose. Until then, I can only wait to see if this was a wise choice.” She smiled at us. “You all have done very well. Star Swirl, I would be glad to have you as my personal student in Canterlot.” Upon hearing this, he beamed with pride. Celestia turned her gaze to 8-Bit and I. “I cannot say I have ever seen either of you around before… What are your names?”

“I’m Silver Blade.”

“8-Bit.”

Celestia nodded her approval. “Very well Silver Blade and 8-Bit, I shall not forget your names. If you have any need, do not hesitate to ask me. You deserve that much.”
After she said that, an idea hit me.

“Princess, I have a request for a thousand years from now.” She raised an eyebrow. “Could you perhaps un-banish 8-Bit and I?” She nodded slowly.

“I believe I can manage that. Is that the time you wish to head to?” she asked. My partner and I both nodded. “Then it is settled. The future, or your present time, awaits you.”
As Princess Celestia’s horn glowed, a soft warm light wrapped around us. Then I realized we’d be leaving Star Swirl behind and sadness came over me at having to leave my newly acquired partner…and friend. He wouldn’t be alone though; he’d have a new mentor. Still, a large guilt fell upon my shoulders. I waved to him with my hoof.

"Yo Star Swirl! You’ll still be a part of Team Free Souls, right?”
He grinned at us as he became less visible. “Always! If you ever need me, I’ll be there!”
The light grew brighter and when we next opened our eyes, we were standing just outside the Everfree Forest in our regular time. Birds chirped, the sun shone, and warmth returned. We knew quite well we had returned to our time. There was also the presence of Ponyville in the distance to take into account for, which contained the very ponies that had me banished. I looked at 8-Bit nervously and she gave me a reassuring smile.

“C’mon dude, let’s go talk to Twilight about that favor Celestia owes you.”
I nodded, and we began walking back towards Ponyville, completely unaware that our exhilarating encounter with Star Swirl was only the first chapter in a picture far bigger than either of us could imagine.