• Published 27th Nov 2014
  • 744 Views, 21 Comments

Discord and Rhyme - Phoenix Quill



Before Equestria was founded, before the Gryphonian Empire, before even the spark of intelligence, the world belonged to Discord and Rhyme. Surely the creators knew what they were doing when they left them in charge, right?

  • ...
2
 21
 744

Howl and Whine.

There was a very bright light shining in his face, and he didn't care too much for it. He grunted slightly, searching his mind for the proper word to suffice the feeling he had. Word, how do I even know what that is? Or what I just thought to myself? Or that? A headache began to form in the base of his skull, and he quickly slammed his palms into his eyes in hopes it would block out the light, and pain.

"Ahh, there you are," a feminine voice said in a cheerful tone. "I had thought you would have wandered off by now." He looked up quickly, and regretted it as the light quickly blinded him again. "Don't you think before you act strange creature?"

"I don't know, I'm not even sure what I'm doing here!" He yelled with his arm over his eyes. "But there's a bright light everywhere, and my head hurts, it knows things!"

"Of course it knows things, that's what your head is for, among other things." The voice seemed closer to him now, and his ears twitched slightly. "I'm going to shade your eyes until they adjust, is that alright?" He didn't vocalize his answer beyond a whimper as he nodded his head. "It's alright, I'm here to help you," the voice said in a calm voice. He then felt something furry, ("Paws?" he thought to himself.) push down on his arm, allowing a small amount of light to filter through his eyelids. "It's alright, you can open your eyes now."

A part of him wanted to disobey the voice, in fact, the voice in his head screamed that he should do anything but what she said. But there was something about the soothing way she spoke. He nodded at her and slowly opened his eyes. They adjusted quickly to the dimmer light, and the first thing he saw was a pair of pale blue eyes staring back into his. "There now, can you see me?"

He looked past her eyes slightly, and saw the white fur that surrounded him entirely, and the softly smiling muzzle below a black nose. "Yes, I see you," he replied, and attempted to give a smile back.

"Alright, I'm going to move my tail away slowly. You've got to see this." He simply nodded his head, and soon the bright light began to slowly pour in as her tail moved away. Soon, there was nothing to stop the light at all as the white wolf backed off all the way as she spread an arm to show the sights around her. "Isn't it amazing? Have you ever seen anything like it?"

He stood dumbfounded for a moment or two as he looked out over the landscape, green grass carpeted every inch of the earth around them as far as the eye could see. Nearby, a stream was running swiftly through the field and a mighty oak tree shaded a small nearby hill. In the distance, he could see that the grass continued into a thick forested area, and even further away he could see that even they would end as a majestic mountain range jutted upward, reaching as high into the sky as it could.

But after it all, his eyes wandered back to the great wolf before him, and his smile grew back. "No, not ever before. It's all so... " He paused, unsure of the right word to describe what he's feeling, She looked at him with a tilt of her head, waiting for him to finish, and he felt the pressure, so he said the first word that came to his mind, "moist."

"Moist?" the wolf questioned with a wrinkled nose.

The draconequiss' face screwed up as what he said came back to him, and really registered in his mind. That's when he said, "Perhaps it would be best to not use that word any more. Unless we speak of cake."

"What is a cake?" the wolf asked as she got up to walk around him. "You are a strange being, tell me, what do you remember?"

He stood still, for he felt that it pleased him to do so, and thought hard. "Hmm, I see, a great vessel, flying through the stars at impossible speed." He paused, and his face scrunched up as he thought, "Wait, no... that's wrong."

The wolf was about to comment on something, when the sound of flapping caught both of their attention. The pair turned to see a great white alicorn landing a few feet away from them. "Hello my children," the alicorn said with a smile as she folded her wings.

The pair, unsure of what to do, looked at each other before one of them bowed deeply with respect. The other got closer to poke at her horn in curiosity. "Much wow, so pointy, he said as he continued to prod the alicorn.

" Oh you're going to be a fun one," Mother said with a frown. The draconequiss ignored her comment, and went on by pulling out her wings, or as he called them, "such flappy floops." Mother coughed into a hoof before pulling back her wings in a snap. "Yes, I have wings too," she said in a strained voice. "But I've come to speak with you both about something more important than how we look."

Just as he was about to try to get a better look at the little inkwell with the feather imprinted on her side, he was pulled away from her with a quick grasp of magic. He gave a short cry of disappointment as he was sat next to the wolf, and she gave him a shush before mimicking his pose.

The alicorn looked over the two before giving a satisfied nod. She then smiled, and picked up where she was going to originally start at. "My children, and you both are my children, and as such, I wish for you to call me Mother." She gave a warm smile at the pair, and they both felt at ease as they hung on to every word, every motion that Mother gave off. "I wanted to check in on you both sooner, but I'm afraid that things didn't go over well with the dragons," she paused as if in revere of a memory before making to the forest. "Walk with me."

The pair looked at each other, before the draconequiss shrugged and happily followed, while the wolf took after the pair at a cautioned distance. "There are many things that you don't know yet about this world," Mother said with a light tone in her voice. "Yet you have knowledge of things that no one else will be able to." The wolf and draconequiss looked down, and noticed that flowering vines began to spread on the trees blooming in vibrant colors.

"There is one thing of great importance that we task you with," the alicorn said as she pointed a wing out to indicate a general vague grandness to what she was saying. "We can't be here at all times, and our time for molding what this world was made for isn't come to pass yet,"

"And what is this world made for?" The wolf said with a tilt of her head.

"Patience," Mother said with a nod. "You will know when the time comes, you will see a great many things happen fairly regularly when the time is here. For now, this world needs to keep moving regularly in order to reach that goal."

"I don't understand," the draconequiss said as he attempted to reach for a bright apple in a nearby tree. "How are we supposed to do what you want, when you haven't told us what it is?"

"To be blunt," Mother said with a frown, "You two were made to be guardians of this world in our stead." Her horn came aglow, bringing forth a field of glowing magic wherein she showed an image of the world. "We created this world to be balanced in harmony, the center of it's own little system, a geocentric anomaly such as this needs guardians to ensure it's balance in the absence of the creators."

"Hang on," the draconequiss said with a sudden sternness in his voice that neither Mother, or the wolf saw coming. "We've only been alive, or at least aware that we are alive for, what would you say, five minutes tops? And you want us to run the world for you? We don't even have names!"

The wolf gave a solemn nod in agreement. "He might be odd, but he isn't stupid," she said with a frown. "He has a point however, how are we supposed to do what you do when we don't even understand who we are?"

Mother looked at the pair with a look that, if they were more experienced with life in general, they would have realized was a very flimsy attempt at looking calm and serene. Rather, it was in fact a poor mask for the exacerbation that she felt at having to continue to be here for longer than she had expected. "Ah, yes, well," she started but didn't quite know how to follow up. "Let me try this then."

A short blast of magic was expelled from her horn, and for the moment, neither the wolf, or draconequiss were animated anymore. "Right, this is going well," she grumbled sarcastically before pulling out a small rectangle from thin air. "Big Guy? Yeah, it's me, listen, these two aren't working out."

She started to pace in a circle around the frozen pair as she held the rectangle to one ear in her magic. "Well I mean specifically, the snaky thing you drew out. He's asking too many questions that I can't answer. OF COURSE I KNOW THE ANSWERS!" She gave off a slight huff, causing the sun to flair in the sky above her. "Look, I'm moving a pair of celestial objects while holding a cell phone, and trying to talk to a pair of over grown, well spoken infants! DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN!"

Mother paused for a moment before sitting on the floor and taking a deep, and obvious breath. "See, nothing, I'm still not. Okay," she paused as she listened for a few moments before answering back. "Two minutes, bring the rest here, we have a little more to do before we can go home."

Author's Note:

Wow. This has got to be the longest pause between updates in the history of ever.

Since I last left you I'd certainly had my fill of adventures, PC's blowing up, losing jobs and getting new ones. Iv'e since the last chapter became, a truck driver for Swift for two years, leaving me very little in the way of time to write this. I did have a lappy that I tried to work with, but the keys just were not very comfortable, and as a driver, I worked 14 hour days on the average, but since then I had become a 3rd shift custodian at Disneyland. However, 3rd shift often made me exhausted whenever I wasn't working, and so I put off my stories even still. Then I got a transfer out to Ride Operations in Fantasyland, but now with the current events, it's plain to see why I now have tons of time to myself to write out new chapters to all my stories.
A new chapter coming soon.

Comments ( 3 )

Oh snap! This story lives! :pinkiegasp:

Welcome back, looking forward to the next chapter! :DDDD

10387467
Thanks, I've been living something of a terrible existence for a while, not really sure how to put it into words, so I won't.
Working on a new chapter, and will get back to it soon.

10392680
Sorry to hear that! Hope things improve with your situation and I'll leave it at that. Good luck o/

Login or register to comment