• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 739 Views, 3 Comments

Things I Should Know By Now - Katherine Lancer



A unicorn filly wakes up in Ponyville having forgotten her memories.

  • ...
 3
 739

Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

“Hot cider?” a voice asks. “Glad to see you’re awake.”

I rub my eyes, looking up. I remember hoping some ponies would see me, that and being swallowed by the water. It was like I had felt kit before, though I’ve barely been anywhere before.

“Take it,” a stallion commands.

“Drink heartily,” a similar sounding stallion says.

I feel a cup placed in my hoof, and I swallow. It tastes sweet, warming up what’s left of the river’s coldness.

“I’m glad you liked it,” one of the stallions says. “I’ll go get you some more.”

I nod. I’m trying to tell the difference between the two, but it’s hard. They’re so similar: Their yellow build, clothes (a blue and white striped shirt with a black bowtie), their red and white manes, their hats, even their eyes seem to be the same. Wait, one has a moustache and the other doesn’t.

“Here’s some more,” the one with the moustache says. “We were glad we got to you on time. I’m glad our magic worked, that’s for sure.”

“I’m Flim,” the one without the moustache says. “He’s Flam. We’re the world famous Flim-Flam brothers!”

“Traveling sales pony monopolies,” the other, Flam, says, and laughs. “We get so worked up and showy whenever we arrive in a town. It’s so much fun, but it exhausts you. And you are?”

I don’t know what to do. Unlike the others, they don’t know I can’t talk. Only the ponies in Ponyville know I can’t talk, and I hope I’m far away from there by now. I begin motioning to my mouth, mouthing out words.

“Are you alright?” Flim asks.

“Need more cider?” Flam asks. “I’m sure it’ll clear your throat.”

I continue trying to tell them I can’t talk, but it doesn’t seem to be coming through.

“What do you think they’re trying to say, Flim?” Flam asks.

“I’m not sure, Flim.” he replies. “Wait,” he says, an idea having struck him. “Can you not talk?”

I nod, so glad they finally figured it out.

“Oh you poor dear,” Flam says. “I’m sorry. ”

“Do you need to get anywhere?” Flim asks. “Any family you have to get back to, friends?”

I shake my head.

“What? You don’t have any family or friends?” Flam asks.

I shake my head again.

“You have no one who cares about you?” Flim asks.

I shake my head, no. How many more times will I have to do this?

“Oh my Celestia! You poor filly,” Flam says.

“I know!” Flim says. “Young filly, would you like to join us?”

“That sounds great!” Flam says. “But what would she do?”

“What can you do?” Flim asks me.

I shrug. I can’t say that I can walk slowly or almost drown, and it’s not like that would help, either.

“Well, why don’t we see what you can do?” Flim suggests. “I mean everyone can do something. I mean, isn’t that what cutie marks are for? Seriously, I’m sure you could do something great.”

“So,” Flam says, “do you want to come with us?”

I nod eagerly, glad to have a ride.

“Now then, what’s your name?” Flim asks.

What should I say? I shrug, shaking my head.

“Can you not say it?”

“Do you not want us to know it?”

They both turn to each other and say in unison, “You don’t have one, do you?”

I nod sadly.

“Oh,” Flim says. “I’m so sorry for you. Do you want one?”

I nod.

“Well, what should it be?” Flam asks.

“Why not ‘River’?” Flim asks. “You survived drowning in one, showing you’re equal to one.”

“No,” Flam says. “Why not. . . I don’t know. Can you stand being called River?”

I want to know my real name, but this will work for now.

“Good, River!” Flim says. He points toward the vehicle I saw earlier. “Now get on, because we have places we need to be!”

“That,” Flam says, “is the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy Six-Thousand!”

“Now, let’s go!”


We didn’t even go to a town, instead stopping at what was a traveling market.

“Flim, does this look like a good place to sell some cider?” Flam had asked.

“Yes!” Flim had replied.

I sit, waiting. They told me they were just going to use their machine to make cider, so for now there’s nothing to do.

“Can you go get us a few things?” Flam asks. “Already ponies want cider, which is good. Oh yes, get anything you feel you also need.” He hands me a list.

I nod, and head to the many different stalls. There are unicorns selling potions, Earth ponies selling food, pegasi selling random items, and all ponies in between are selling things that I can’t even name.

“Hey little filly,” a pegasus says, calling me over. “Need any good luck charms?” She’s rather old, covered in wrinkles, and creepy looking. “Can’t talk, you poor filly. Here, let me give you this for free. I know you’ll need it.” She puts a necklace on me, muttering something as she does so. “Go on now.”

I wish I could ask how she knew I couldn’t talk without having to do charades. But wouldn’t I be talking if I asked her?