• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 19,037 Views, 235 Comments

An Open Door - SkycatcherEQ



A look inside Adagio’s emotional state and her journey forward roughly six months after Rainbow Rocks.

  • ...
18
 235
 19,037

Hope

The two walked side by side for a time, sharing an occasional smile and enjoying the warmth of their coffee. A light breeze rustled the leaves on the nearby trees, whose shadows had begun to stretch as the sun passed its apex and started its descent.

Adagio smiled softly, feeling the warmth of the cup between her hands. “Thank you, by the way. For what you did back there. That was an odd place for me to be in—just watching and letting something like that happen. The last few months have been hard, sure, but I’ve still never had any trouble putting people like that in their place. Today, though, it’s… different. I’m just so sick of fighting.”

She turned to look at Sunset. “I think part of me is afraid of slipping back to where I was and… losing this feeling.”

Sunset touched a hand to Adagio’s forearm. “I know. I’ve been there. Oh, have I been there.” After a brief sigh and then a laugh, she said, “You’ll probably hear me saying that a lot over the next few weeks.”

The next few weeks.’ Adagio smiled to herself at the way Sunset had so nonchalantly made that statement. Hearing confirmation that she shared an awareness of their similarities brought a measure of comfort.

“Hmm. What was it like for you?” Adagio asked with a devious grin. “Even without magic, word is you held quite the iron grip over your little empire there on campus. Impressive, to say the least. And with what I saw back there, the reports undersold your capabilities.”

“Well… Being cut off from my magic didn’t diminish my drive,” Sunset replied. “It only made it stronger. I suppose it’s like someone who loses their eyesight. It strengthens your other senses and forces you to think about other ways of doing things. And along the way, I found this world’s technology has capabilities that can rival magic, if a person is savvy enough.”

She took a long drink of her coffee. “And it was a savvy that came natural to me. Maybe because of my approach to learning and research back in Equestria.” She began gesturing with one hand as if moving chess pieces. “And then a bit of gossip here, planting a seed there. Some investigation and misdirection. ‘Social engineering’, you might call it.”

Folding the hand to a fist in front of her, she grinned. “And then, of course, backing all of that up with a bit of force and intimidation where necessary.”

Adagio shook her head and chuckled at just how acutely Sunset’s account matched her own approach over the years. In a way, it was unsurprising, but amazing all the same. “From the sound of it, you controlled people much the same as we did, just with a different sort of ‘magic’.”

“Yeah…” Sunset lowered her eyes and relaxed the fist. “But then in the end, the stuff I was pushing so hard to achieve wasn’t worth fighting for in the first place. And from what you told me today, I guess we both ended up at that same realization, huh?”

“We did, didn’t we.” Adagio enjoyed another warm sip of her drink and then closed her eyes with a contented sigh. No matter what else happens, I really don’t want to go back to that place. You were right, Aria. Thank you.

Following another drink of her own, Sunset’s shoulders tensed with a shiver. She took a breath and let it out heavily. “Back then, I strutted around like a queen while some glared, some cowered, and others begged for even a lick of favorable attention… And I reveled in every minute of it. I had them all exactly where I wanted them.”

She placed both hands on her cup and stared down at it. “But then, when I was at home by myself, I'd wake up in the middle of the night with these feelings of… loneliness and emptiness.” Gripping her upper arm with one hand, she turned away from Adagio and took another slow breath. “Even with all that control, I still felt so hollow. It hurt. And what was worse, I couldn’t figure out why.” With what sounded like a choked-up laugh, she brushed a palm across both eyes, and her voice began to crack. “No one would have imagined the sight of me huddled in a dark corner at three a.m. sobbing my heart out. Yet there I was.”

“Huh…”

“Hmm?” Sunset sniffled beside her.

“One thing after another.” Adagio shook her head. “I just can’t believe how much we have in common.” When Sunset looked back at her with moistened eyes, she added, “It’s that hollow feeling you mentioned. Aria said something last night that got me thinking back to my old memories. After the magic shattered our pendants, all those memories had taken on this… emptiness—this lack of fulfillment.

"And it’s the strangest thing—because those feelings were never there before. So I’ve been wondering if the magic of the pendant had somehow hidden them. And so when it was broken…” Adagio shrugged.

“Hmm, I dunno. Might be a question for Twilight.” With a thumb and finger, Sunset finished drying the edges of her eyes. “But I can tell you in my case, it was only after I’d been struck by the Elements that I understood the cause of that feeling. It sounds so obvious now—but it was a lack of real friendship, and having no… purpose in life beyond my selfish goals. And now that I have realized what’s really important, I’m happy with the way things turned out—even if I decide to stay here for good without my magic. So maybe it was the Elements that brought out those feelings in you too?”

They walked past a bus-stop trash bin, and Adagio pitched her empty cup in. “Hmm, perhaps. I suppose it’s neither here nor there what caused it, just that I’m happy to be working through all of this. And talking with you today is helping with that, so… thank you.”

Sunset smiled at Adagio and put an arm around her shoulder briefly. “You’re welcome.”

The two continued to stroll along, Sunset sipping her drink and Adagio closing her eyes every so often to feel the breeze on her face and inhale the serenity of the early afternoon.

Though after a few minutes of walking, she was reminded yet again of the mirror earlier and felt the pit in her stomach return. She glanced over at Sunset, who wore a content smile while taking in the autumn colors. Adagio didn’t want to trouble her with this. Sunset had done so much for her already today.

But then… That’s what friends do, right? She took a deep breath in and then let it out raggedly.

“So many things have changed since that day,” Adagio began. “I wasn’t sure if I wanted to bring this up, but I feel I can share it with you now after everything.” She met eyes with an inquisitive Sunset and then looked forward again. “There’s this fear that’s been nagging at me for a few weeks now. And after a close look in the mirror this morning, I think it’s all but confirmed.”

She came to a stop and stated matter-of-factly, “We’re dying, Sunset.”

“What?!” Sunset spun around, her eyes moving back and forth between Adagio, the ground, and her own hands.

“Sorry…” Adagio winced and then lowered her head. Damn it. “I didn’t mean to startle you like that. It’s just… I suppose having been all but immortal for so long, this just feels so sudden.” She forced a halfhearted laugh and added, “I guess I should have found a better way to phrase that, huh?”

Sunset’s cup fell to the ground and spilled out as she put both hands firmly on Adagio’s shoulders. “What are you talking about?” she pressed.

“The magic. Our gems. They were also the source of our immortality. And now with that magic broken, we don’t have the hunger any more—which is wonderful, don’t get me wrong. But it also means we’ve started to age now, just like you and all the others here.”

Turning away again, Adagio broke the contact and wrapped her arms around herself. “I don’t know how to process this yet. Everything from today feels so wonderful, and I really don’t want to lose it, or go back to the way things were. But I’m scared, Sunset… I don’t know what to expect.”

Adagio looked back to the wide-eyed silence on Sunset’s face before lowering her own eyes and sighing. “I’m sorry. I know this must sound so selfish, since it’s just a natural thing for you and everyone else.”

Sunset retrieved her cup and looked around for a moment with a tight-lipped expression. “Come here.”

She grabbed Adagio’s hand and led her swiftly back to the bus-stop bench they’d passed a moment ago, tossing the cup into the same bin Adagio had.

Sunset sat Adagio down and was silent for a few moments, focusing on the space between them. When at last she spoke, she looked up into Adagio’s eyes. “I can’t say I know what it’s like to live for so long without any end in sight. But I can speak for myself and tell you that, while this feeling of… inevitability is always present, it’s not something I think about often. It rarely ever crosses my mind. And I know you’ll get there too. You will.”

She placed a hand over one of Adagio’s, adding, “But this sense of finality does make me value every day that I’m here and alive—especially now that I’ve had my eyes opened to what real friendship is, and the happiness it can bring.”

Adagio considered all of the thoughts that had run through her mind since the mirror this morning—all the fear and uncertainty, but also these new feelings of happiness and contentment. And it surprised her to think that just this one day had meant more to her, and brought her more joy, than any year of her immortal life.

“I suppose that does make some sense,” she said, feeling a large part of her worry flow out with a deep breath. “It really does.” She pressed her knees together and crossed her arms in front of her. “All these years, it had just been one day blending into the next. One conquest leading to the next. We existed, and did what we did… just to keep existing.”

She leaned forward and looked at the ground between her feet for a moment before closing her eyes. “And thinking back now, there’s nothing that I’m proud of. Not one thing that I would want anyone to think back on and say, ‘That was Adagio Dazzle.’”

“That’s an important realization,” Sunset noted. “I feel that with humans, and ponies in Equestria too, we’re defined by this drive to leave something memorable behind when our lives come to an end. It’s sort of like… knowing our time here is limited gives this sense of purpose, and a desire to leave a lasting legacy.

“And for me, it really is this sense of life-purpose, and sharing experiences with my friends, that keeps me going and keeps me hopeful for the future.”

Legacy. That was the key word here, wasn’t it? Adagio thought back to Aria and Sonata last night and this morning, and now Sunset this afternoon. Everything they had shared with her was leading her to believe that this really was worth it, and that she now had so much to look forward to.

Her long life may have entered its final chapter, but in front of her now was the opportunity to at last put something worth reading on its pages.

“Sunset Shimmer, you continue to amaze me.”

Adagio opened her eyes again. Did she really just say that? Did she really mean it? This girl now sitting next to her—comforting her. The very one on whom she had expended so much bitterness and blind hatred. And yet, now, when I look in her eyes… She sniffled as her vision began to water. Why did it take so long for me to see? She took in a shaking breath and then let it out slowly while collecting her thoughts. “At first, I couldn’t understand how you showed so much resilience during our week at the school. You stood up for your friends. And then destroyed everything we thought we knew. But today, the three of you helped me realize that we really are in a better place.”

She looked up at Sunset, and her voice began to choke up. “And now… you've actually given me hope looking forward.” As her tears continued to swell, Adagio closed her eyes. She turned away to hide her face, but then, You know what? I don’t care.

She turned back to Sunset and embraced her in a hug. “Thank you.” Sunset went stiff for a moment at the sudden gesture, but then softened and warmly returned the embrace. “This has been hard, but… after everything… I really do feel like you’ve set us free.”

Before long, Adagio felt tears on the back of her own neck as well.

“I’m so happy for the three of you,” Sunset said softly. “And I think a big part of that is because I’ve been there myself. But I was especially worried about you, Adagio. You seemed to be having the hardest time with all of this, so it’s such a relief to hear you say that.” She tightened her hug for a moment before they both let go.

They each dried their eyes and exchanged a light laugh. Noticing that the shadows around them had lengthened further, Adagio said, “We should be getting back. Those two really wanted to do something together, and I’d like you to be able to join us before you get on your way to meet Rarity.

“Well, maybe we could make the restaurant a group thing?” Sunset suggested with a grin. “I’m sure the others would love to see you now and hear how you’re doing.”

“Hmm, we’ll see. One step at a time.” Adagio returned Sunset’s grin with a small laugh. “I’ll think about it while we’re out with Aria and Sonata.”

The two of them resumed walking while the sun crept slowly to the west. They simply enjoyed each other’s company for a bit longer as the conversation turned to their various talents, interests, and a bit of gossip on current events.

***

“Yaaay! Fuzzies!” Sonata bounced up and down with her hands clasped in front of her.

Aria whispered sideways into Adagio’s ear, “I can’t believe you agreed to this.”

Adagio smiled warmly, as the contentment that had settled within her began to overflow. “I know you wanted this to be about me, but really… seeing her this excited right now is making me happier than anything else I could think of doing today.” She put an arm around Aria and held her close for a moment. “I think she really deserves it, after everything.”

Aria leaned her head on Adagio’s shoulder. “She does, doesn’t she.” She lowered her eyes with a broad smile and a ‘hmph’, before walking over to grab Sonata’s coat off the rack. Placing it and both hands on Sonata’s shoulders to stop the bouncing, she helped her don the jacket. “Let’s go, silly.”

Sunset finished loading the last of the bottled water into a borrowed backpack and hooked elbows with Adagio as she walked up next to her. “So, the zoo, huh?”

Adagio laughed and tightened her arm. “Yeah. It’s smelly and gross, but this is important to me. I just want to see her smile.”

“You really are a warm person, Adagio. And a good friend.”

“Only because of her. And you and Aria.” Adagio met Sunset’s eyes and was again drawn in by that pull of mutual understanding. You really have been through all of this before, haven’t you? There’s still so much I want to know. And I’m sure we’ll get there… She let out a contented breath. “Thank you, Sunset.”

Sunset returned Adagio’s hug from earlier and joined the other two outside.

Adagio took another deep breath and looked around for a moment. She nodded with a peaceful smile before turning to follow the others out, closing the door behind her on what was, this time, a truly empty room.

Comments ( 41 )

You have maxed out my feels meter; good job, sir!:yay:

Every now and again I come back to this story, and I always enjoy it, no matter how many times.

6652858
Thanks, heh.

6652963
And I remember having your Siren Night still fresh in my mind while writing parts of the first two chapters here.

6404793

This one comes to mind for me.

It's been a long time since you updated this story, I'm glad that you did.

6653342 Thanks. And as I noted in the blog, this isn't a "new" chapter, but rather a split of the old chapter 4 into two parts, as the old chapter 4 ended up much longer than the others.

Thanks for new chapter.
you did a good job.

Nice extra chapter, was adorably good. :heart:

6653460
6654257
I'm kinda wondering now if my blog today didn't show up on everyone's feed where the chapter did, heh.
This wasn't actually any new content - I just broke the old chapter 4 into two parts as part of the content update.

But I'm glad for all the positive feedback. =)

6654318
Derp, maybe I need to re-read your first two fics. :facehoof:

NOOO! IT'S OVER?! CRUUUD!!! :raritydespair:

I just started reading today... I loved every bit... But now it's done...

:raritycry::raritycry::raritycry:

6657445 Glad you enjoyed. My other three stories flow on this same timeline if you're wanting more. Just follow the sequel chain. :)

This entire story, however, has seen quite a facelift since its initial publishing a year ago. So if you'd read it way back then, I'd urge you to have another look from the start.

I don't remember details of my original reading, but what the hay, it was fun to read all over again! :twilightsmile:

Also followed the sequel chain! I read most of them, but I totally missed "Homesick" at the end! :pinkiegasp:

>>SkycatcherEQ Eeyup.:ajsmug:

You got a shout out on Equestriadaily, congrats this story deserves it .

6742972 Thanks. And yeah - the process to get on the fic blog there is a pretty long one. Got through it with only one round of revisions, but the standards they keep are pretty strict. :trixieshiftright:

RQK

Read this story quite a while back. Probably time that I give it another runthrough~

6744154 Quite a lot has been improved with what I've learned over the last year. The plot is all the same, but the presentation has seen some touching up.

In the this was an aweosme story. It was defiitly worth it fromt he second I saw what this story was all about. Thank you for create this grate tale for all to see.

Hope you don't mind a fanfic reading being done of this! ^^

Came here from Wubcake's reading! Great story! :twilightsmile:

7000720 I was happy to see your feedback on each of the chapters. Thanks for that.

7049817 Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks.

7049817 Dude Wubcakes just re-posted Savin Drake's reading of the story. compare the posting dates and you will see.

7176020 They collaborated together on the project, yeah. So I'd assume they agreed to post it on both of their channels.

There is something good in here, and I really hate to say this, but there was just something missing. As much as I love seeing people fill in the aftermath of Rainbow Rocks, and believe me, a lot of the ideas you have about it are extremely interesting, there was just too much that pulled me out of the story for me to really say that it was really great. It certainly wasn't bad by any means, don't get me wrong. Usually, I'd just leave a like and move on, but you came so close to really making a great story that you got me to read it all the way through at least, so I think I owe it to you to at least tell you what I thought didn't work.

I think the most aggravating thing was the fact that almost every single scene just had to have something powerfully emotional in it. There were very few scenes where things were calmer,or more tension-laden to build up to these huge moments, breakthroughs, and confessions you kept putting in, and as a whole that kind of thing really hurt the story for me. If every single scene has these huge moments and confessions in them, they kind of just lose their impact and are drowned out by all the other similarly big moments around them. I mean you transitioned immediately from Aria and Adagio about how it felt to be finally free to Aria's abuse of Sonata, which aren't necessarily on the same scale of emotional impact, but are still pretty heavy conversations to have over breakfast without really any introductions to that conversation at all. The story should slowly build up to these big conversations about their feelings and experiences, but instead they all just kinda come right out and say it, sometimes without even being asked about it. Like the scene with Adagio singing only had like 3k words before it, when something like that might take a character days of slowly being worn down before they finally crack like that. Adagio didn't really seem to transition in her mindset until right when she made herself sing, too. The way the scenes are stacked up make them all kind of blur together into on giant mess of dramatic emotions, and when that happens they really just lose their impact.

Another major thing that jarred me out of the story was the dialogue. Like with the scenes themselves, it seems like the characters have to say something deep and emotional with just about every one of their lines. While having these moments of deep emotional sharing isn't a bad thing, it just happens so frequently that it wears me down having to constantly read about their hardships in every one of their lines. Just like the scenes the dialogue needs to build up to these moments instead of just kind of throwing them out there with every passing moment. Along with that, the character's voices just felt off. Like usually, each character has their own unique voice and manner of speaking, but it just didn't feel that way with this story. Aria, Adagio, and Sunset had almost identical manners of speaking, which really threw me off for Aria, since she's supposed to be the unsophisticated, brash, bad girl of the group, more or less, anyway. I know my personal preference for her characterization is a ridiculous thing to ask from you, but a little differentiation in the girls' mannerisms would help set them apart better. As it stands, I couldn't really envision Aria talking the way you made her talk at all, and sometimes I'd get confused if it was even Adagio or Aria talking in some exchanges. The only way I could really tell Sunset and Adagio apart were the things they talked about, and even then it got a little confusing sometimes. I guess to put it in perspective, their characterization just didn't translate well to their dialogue. I think the main problem is that only Adagio really got any major characterization, which is understandable given the story's subject matter, but it still wouldn't have hurt to give the other girls a little more substance, possibly in more scenes in the beginning with them trying to help Adagio and build up a little more tension, to kill two birds with one stone.

I spent a long time trying to figure out why I just couldn't connect with Adagio on any emotional level. I mean, it's not like depression, remorse, and all of Adagio's other emotions that she moved through as she opened up weren't relatable. This emotional journey was a very human thing to have to go through, but I just didn't feel anything for her. The only time I actually connected with any of the characters was over the talk about Aria abusing Sonata, in which case I could really only feel for Sonata at the descriptions of the events themselves, and how determined she was even through it all. Aria's emotions just seemed so distant to me in comparison, and her reactions were described in the moment while Sonata's were just laid out in passing. I think what it comes down to is how they were actually presented in the prose itself. When you describe these actions of the emotions, there really isn't a lot of emotional connection to the action itself. Here's one example that I can actually recall:

The memories continued to swirl before finally coming to rest on the adoring faces of the crowd during the band finale at the school. All eyes were locked on Adagio and her magnificent allure. But like the others before, all were devoid of any emotion other than enthralled obedience. Adagio fell to her knees and placed a hand over her mouth as she choked out a breath. There was no true adoration in that, she now realized. Even with all that power… What had we ever really accomplished?

The harsh revelation was driven home further when the scene before her shimmered with a resurgent vibrancy. Another sob escaped her throat as she watched all of the awakening faces turn away from her and toward the band on the hill. Their bewildered hush broke into a chorus of excitement and dancing, their voices joining in harmony with the Rainbooms’ joyous song.

There really isn't any build up to this reaction at her memories. She looks at herself in the mirror and then it just kinda happens. I think you should try to connect the actual emotional reactions more to the thoughts themselves through the prose, and make it a lot clearer on what specific things are happening to Adagio's body as she's going through this, and the exact thing that's causing it. I know it's sort of difficult to look at that passage and many others and ascertain exactly what it is you need to do to make the emotional connection stronger. I'm sorry I couldn't help you more on this. I'd have to spend a lot more time breaking apart the individual passages to try and see what exactly went wrong between the prose and me as a reader. Just try and take away from this that the emotional reactions felt a little disconnected, and it might help to make it clear exactly what they are and what's causing them.

On the topic of this passage in particular, there were some things that the characters did that felt a little overdramatic. This scene with Adagio just randomly falling to her knees and sobbing after picking out a dress and the one where Sunset immediately drops her cup at Adagio's words come to mind. I'm sure there are a few more, but I can't really think of them at the moment. Things like that just don't feel like something that would happen in a normal, human interaction. The dialogue felt a lot like that too, honestly. I mostly went over that in a previous paragraph, but a lot of their exchanges just didn't feel realistic to me at all. Part of it was definitely the fact that almost everything they said had to be important and powerful; people just don't talk to each other like that, at least not so frequently. Things like that really dehumanize these characters and make it a lot harder to connect with them as the story progresses. Little moments of respite and casual conversation can go a long way to make your characters a lot more relatable in this regard. The final chapter came really close to this, as the conversation between Adagio and Sunset almost felt like actual conversational dialogue, but it still felt like it was just too disconnected from actual speech. Honestly, I may have just been worn out from the rest of the story and expected it to be like that, I'm not sure. I'd have to read over it again to make sure.

I think the last thing that hurt the story for me was the prose itself. It's not bad, like I can tell you're an educated individual with a decent command over the English language, but it played a large part in messing with my immersion, I think. Some of the longer segments had some confusing wording that just made it unclear what was actually happening within the scene. I'm hesitant to call your prose florid, but a lot of the word choice seemed odd for what you were trying to portray. Nothing specific comes to mind, but just try to remember that if you can get your point across with a simpler set of words that's probably the better option when it comes to readability. I found myself trailing off in some of the longer sections without dialogue, and often having to reread sections after being confused as to what exactly was happening. There's nothing wrong with your action-oriented descriptions, but when it came to the more drawn-out details of thoughts and past events, things seemed to kind of fray a bit into a something a lot less concise.

I think those are all the problems that I had with the story. I don't think it was outright bad, but there are definitely a few elements of the writing that could stand to be improved for the sake of emotional connection to the characters and readability. You definitely have good ideas with the events and the way the girls had to come to terms with their reality. I don't think there's a more perfect way of bringing Adagio out of her depression than showing her the magic of sharing a song with her sisters without their magic and hunger commanding them. I think my favorite part was the relationship-building between Aria and Sonata. Coming back from and abusive relationship is some seriously heavy stuff, and I would have loved to read more about that.

Anyway, I realize I just wrote a book about my problems with the story. I apologize for the wall of text, but I hope you can find something among my ramblings to help you out in the future. None of this to try and say you're a bad writer. I plan on checking out the sequels as well, and I hope you keep writing Dazzling stories.:twilightsmile:

7257786 Thanks for this. When I read the description of the bookshelf you added it to, I'd thought about PM'ing you for the feedback. But then got busy and forgot. So I was glad to see it here.

I always appreciate critical feedback, as it's more to consider in growing as a writer. Quite a lot to digest, and I'm sure I'll re-read it a time or two. Glad to hear you might give the others a read. I've been told more than once that the technical quality of the writing improves with each. Though Once Monsters is still my favorite, if I had to pick one.

Cheers.

7258413
No problem. I'm happy I could provide something helpful. :twilightsmile:

I like it - I like the characterization, and I like the raw emotion that you manage to convey. That said, I feel like Adagio's sudden 180 is a little jarring; Even with the excuse of element-based magic, it's a little strange to see her go straight from 'Grr, I hate everything' to 'Ohmygod, Sunset Shimmer is best human' in the span of about 24 hours. I feel like this could have been a much longer story, and it would have been much more fulfilling to see a gradual change in her character.
I still like your style, though, I just have issues with the pacing. Overall score, 7/10.

The soundtrack I was listening to while reading this was super fitting- I loved this, the raw emotion you present is something I absolutely crave in writing. I feel like I'm really there with Adagio, understanding what she's feeling to the minutia. 10/10 would read and cry a little at again.

i listened to the reading of this on Wubcake's channel.

Not bad. a nice story overall

My account is brand new; I hope it says something to you that one of the first things I did was track down this story, give it a green thumbs up, and scroll down to make this comment.

This is one of the only fanfictions I have saved to my device so I can reread it any time I like, with or without Internet access. It is short, but powerful in a way longer fics could struggle with. The characterization of the Sirens was flawlessly done, and the detailed, down-to-earth writing style you invoke helps bring the world of Equestria Girls to life like no other fanfic I've yet seen. There's a sense of realism to your writing that meshes with the magic, wonders, and tragedy of the setting like I wouldn't have thought possible.

I simply cannot get this story out of my head, no matter how much time goes by since I first read it. It's packed with emotion from start to finish, and I find myself staggering in fresh awe every time I come back to it. This goes for the rest of the stories you've written in this canon, too; you are hands down the best EqG fic writer I have yet come across, and I adore all your work from here to "Homesick."

Hopefully I'm not overstating my appreciation and coming across as insincere; I really do feel like this is a spectacular work of art, and in my subjective experience, easily one of the most impacting pieces of fanfiction I've ever read. I really, sincerely hope that you keep up writing these fics!

7526138 Wow, thanks for this. One of the most satisfying things to most artists, I imagine, is hearing that others have thoroughly enjoyed their work. And hearing this makes me even more eager to bring the new project I've been working on (for many months now) closer to completion. It's a little something Aria-focused, as I feel she deserves more attention than she's gotten in the past. Though I've really been taking my time with it. Still a few more months to go. ;)

7527371 I'm glad I could lend you some encouragement! And I'm doubly glad to hear you're working on something focusing in on Aria; your interpretation of her is easily one of my favorite parts of this series. Will your upcoming Aria story be set in the same continuity as "An Open Door" and the rest of your stories? Or is that something you haven't decided on / chosen to reveal yet?

7528126 It's a new and separate continuity. She's in a bit more of a troubled place at the start of this one. Ever since all of those 'favorite dazzling' polls leaving her rock bottom, I've wanted to do a deep character piece for her. It ended up being something that needs its own timeline.

Not gonna lie, it was pretty repetitive.

Siren redepmtion stories are always a hard sell for me given just how unrepentant they were when they got that rainbow in the face. This... didn't quite make the cut. You make some good points, but the dialogue ends up feeling more like a treatise on why and how the sirens should be redeemed than their actual experiences. And Aria feels almost completely disconnected from her canon character. Yes, this isn't the time and place for gruff attitude, but she still feels like someone else filling in for her because all three need to be here.

Don't get me wrong, there are some excellent moments, especially the Sunset-Adagio bonding at the end, but the story's weaknesses kept it from overcoming my own biases.

they've got massive heads!!!

I like the story but it's a little bit happy-go-lucky for me. On top of that they should have the resources to figure out how to make their amulets again if they have all that money. But instead they were depressed and didn't really do anything. For creatures that lived over a thousand years, it seems a little weird that they just gave up.

Login or register to comment