• Published 29th Oct 2014
  • 330 Views, 11 Comments

Here Not To Stay - xXLostChangelingsXx



When a brilliant unicorn gets denied the opportunity to change the world, what does he do? He goes and gets himself banished. Now he's back, and ready to try again.

  • ...
 11
 330

Scene 2

"Um, Mister? Twilight said that you could go up to Canterlot with me when I leave for the annual Bunny Festival. Oh, that's in a few days. I simply can't wait to be at the Bunny Festival!"

"Yeah, yeah, that's great. How much are the tickets again?" I ask, counting my bits as I sit on the floor among Fluttershy's animals. I just might have enough to buy a ticket there, but not one back, unless I somehow found work in Canterlot. If what I've been told is true, it will be a chore to find a job willing to pay me one bit.

"Oh, you won't have to pay for a ticket. Rarity said that she got enough bits from her last sell that she'll buy it for you. I think you'll like Canterlot. You look like somepony who would fit in really well."

"Sure, if you think so. Haven't been to a big city in a long time." With a single, smooth gesture, I sweep my bits into their bag, then pull the drawstring with the dark green of my magic so the precious currency doesn't fall out and leave me broke.

"Why not? Aren't there big cities close to where you're from?"

Standing up, I shake my head, tucking the small bag into the saddlebag Rarity just had to make for me as soon as she got a good look at me. "Last one fell apart years ago. Just ruins, now."

"I see. Will you be okay walking around Canterlot by yourself?"

"I'll be fine."

She walls around to attend in front of me. "Are you sure, mister? You said you haven't been to a big city in a long time...."

Another nod and I go to head outside. "I'm not a helpless foal. You can enjoy your bunnies, and I'll do what I'll do."

"R-right, I'm sorry. I just don't want you getting lost." Her head ducks as she backs up a little, letting me pass.

I don't say anything else, instead going into the dark Everfree Forest to see if I can find any manticore droppings for a potion I'm planning on brewing for the princesses. It'll be sure to get me back in their favor, and get rid of that other stallion they had take my place. Fickle as they are, they're the rulers of this land, and the only way I can "redeem" myself for something that could have saved Luna from a thousands year exile to the moon, and Celestia from ever having to use the Elements of Harmony, permanently!

As I bend my head to pick a few stalks of foul-smelling buds, something gray whizzes past and smacks into a tree a few feet ahead of me, leaves falling off and drifting down to the forest floor. Startled, I know I quite look the part and scold myself for not being as alert as I should be in the Everfree. But I put on a neutral face and walk over to the gray pony, leaves stuck in her yellow mane, some in her tail, as well. "You okay?"

"Sorry about the crash.... I just don't know what happened...." She untangles herself from the ground and her limbs. As she does so, I spot her cutie mark, several bubbles, and see that her eyes are... wrong. They aren't even looking the same direction. "My name is Ditzy Doo! What's yours? I haven't seen you around town much."

I try really hard not to make an annoyed face as I reply, not looking at her eyes. It's... a bit disturbing, with her eyes looking two different ways. "Star Flare. And I'm not here for long. Just passing through on my way to Canterlot." Tucking the stems into my saddlebags is a good excuse not to look at her. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find some more plants. Good day."

"Do you not like me?"

Turning my head to look over my shoulder, I see that she has her mouth all pressed together and a desperate look in her eyes. Well, in the one I focus on, at least. "Listen, I just met you, and I'm not into the whole friendship thing, so just go on and find your way back to Ponyville. I have something more important to do."

"Oh, okay.... I just wanted to make a friend...."

A rustle of feathers, and then more rustling leaves falling from the trees, and I'm alone again. Was it really a good idea to brush her off? I shake my head really hard and go off looking for maybe a few poison joke flowers. It can never hurt to have a few of those, but it can hurt a lot to be unprepared. I know how harsh being unprepared can be.

Probably better than any of these ponies will ever understand, so I make it a priority to be prepared for as many things as I possibly can....


I wake up early in the morning, before Fluttershy, even, which is a fest, seeing as she has so many animals to take care of. For a few minutes, all I do is lay in the borrowed bed, staring at the ceiling blankly. What do I have to think about, anyways...?

Then the sun starts to rise and I remember. It's been a while since I've been able to forget about the injustice the princesses thrust upon me. The last time.... The last time I had, I had been close to death out in the Badlands. It was an unpleasant memory. Also the fault of Celestia and Luna. I feel my eyes narrow at the thought of what they did to me so long ago. They probably don't even remember me, or what happened to me afterwords. My blood boils at the thought of finally confronting them. After so long in banishment, so long perfecting my spells and magical abilities. All I need to have all the items necessary is a look into the castle the princesses live in. As much as I can possibly see and retain with a memory spell I had created.

A soft knock on the door interrupts my thoughts.

"Mister? Twilight wants to speak with you in her castle when you can make it. Uhm, if you're awake, of course."

"I'm awake. I'll get myself down there when I'm ready..." I reply, hearing the tiredness in my voice for the first time. I know the griffins always heard it, always asked if I was okay, if I'd gotten enough sleep. Now I know why they asked.

"Okay." Then hoofsteps retreat down the hallway to the first floor, clopping on the wooden stairs.

With a deep breath, I sit up and scramble out of the sheets, which had mysteriously wrapped around and tangled up my hind legs. With all four hooves on the ground, I check to make sure all the items in my saddlebags are secure. Everything is still there. That's a relief, with all of the animals running around this place.

And a princess wants to speak with me, so I trot downstairs and out of the small cottage. On the way to town, I try to not look as suspicious as I probably do. My mane and tail could probably use a trim, and probably have for quite a few years, but it doesn't matter too much. I can pass as a traveling pony very well.

"There he is, Twilight!"

A quick glance around and I see Rainbow Dash hovering next to the purple princess. She waves me over to where she's standing next to the fountain in the middle of the square. Trotting over, I bow to her ever so slightly. She doesn't like being royalty quite yet. "Princess," I say. My voice no longer sounds tired, but I still feel like it will always be there, somewhere.

"I'd like to know what your name is. Your real name," she adds, cutting me off before I can say anything.

"That's what I was planning on telling you. My name is Star Flare."

Her eyes narrow when I tell her, then she leans over to see my cutie mark. "Princess Celestia and Princess Luna told me to be careful if I ever met you, Star Flare the Ruthless."

No. She's been told.

Author's Note:

This chapter isn't done yet, but I'd like to know if you readers think I should sneak in a bit of Zecora here.

Or maybe some other pony. I'd like to know what you think!

TA-DA I'M MAKING AN EDIT
DERPY YES I HAVE DECIDED UPON




Derpy





:derpyderp1::derpyderp2::derpytongue2:

I'm slightly ashamed to say this but I keep calling this poor unicorn Star Flail
why isn't there a Derpy tongue 1? and I really don't know if I'm doing Derpy very well