• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 1,726 Views, 8 Comments

Stories from Canterlot High - Prince Luna



Short Stories of a day in the life of random characters at Canterlot High.

  • ...
3
 8
 1,726

Vinyl Scratch


A school day in the life of Vinyl Scratch.


Morning: School Preparation.

Vinyl Scratch suddenly woke up to eardrum ringing dubstep music that blasted from her alarm. She leapt out of her bed and bobbed her head to the beat.

"Awww yeah! Another day, another party!" she yelled.

She kicked away a soda can that was lying by her bed, which landed in the bin.

"SCORE!" she shouted, standing on her hind hooves and flailing her front hooves in the air.

She looked frantically around her room, still dancing to the loud music.

"Where's my calendar again?" she wondered, rubbing her chin with her hoof.

She continued to look around the room, then saw her calendar on the floor. She ran up to it and studied it intently.

"Wednesday? But wasn't yesterday Friday?" she tried to remember the previous night.

Vinyl had been to a large party last night organised by herself. In fact, the night before she had been to a party she set up. And the night before that. In fact, the last few years were filled with a party every night.

"Whatever." she laughing, dragging her alarm downstairs.

Using her unicorn magic, Vinyl opened a cupboard. It was full of CDs, but she rummaged around and found a beat up cereal box which read 'Celesti-Os'.

"Alright! Got some grub!" she sang, holding the box over an empty bowl.

Nothing came out of the box. Vinyl shook it vigorously but still nothing came out. She lifted it with her magic and looked inside to see nothing in there.

"Ah well, guess I'm missing breakfast today." she said.

She opened the cupboard and put the cereal box in its place at the back again and returned to her room.

She opened a neon-blue bag and pulled out books from it with her unicorn magic. The books were in a rough state and looked like they had doodles all over them.

"Right...Wednesday....Wednesday...ah!" she found her timetable for the day on her planner.

She scattered books around the room using magic and found others lying around, put them in her bag and closed it.

"Bag done!" she yelled over her music.

She walked over to her alarm and slammed her hoof on a button which turned off the music. She then searched the mess of her bed and found an uPod (unicornPod) and plugged in the ear buds, switched it to full volume and began to play more music. Then she grabbed a pair of purple shades from her desk, which was covered in clutter and rubbish, and put them over her magenta eyes.

"LET'S SPIN THIS!" she yelled, running out the front door to the train station.

Canterlot High Express: Journey to School

Vinyl Scratch stood at the platform wildly bobbing her head to her music, unable to notice the pony behind her.

"Vinyl?" she asked.

Vinyl didn't hear her.

"Vinyl..." the pony sighed.

She tapped Vinyl's shoulder and the white pony turned around.

"OH! HEY OCTAVIA!" Vinyl yelled, not knowing that nopony else could hear her music.

Octavia gestured with her hoof for Vinyl to turn down the volume.

"WHAT? ON THE GROUND?" Vinyl misunderstood.

Octavia's gestures became more frantic.

"DROP THE BASS? SILLY, THAT ALREADY HAPPENED ON THIS SONG!"

Octavia sighed and took out Vinyl Scratch's earphones. The music boomed out of them as if they were a stereo.

"Sorry, Vinyl, would you mind turning down the volume on your music?" Octavia sighed.

"Aw sure, dude. you coulda just asked!" Vinyl laughed.

Octavia sighed for a third time. The train then arrived and Vinyl ran on before anypony else could board.

"DIBS ON THE SODA!" she yelled, galloping towards the snack cart.

She ran up to the counter and lifted her sunglasses up. The pony behind rolled her eyes.

"Hello, Vinyl Scratch. What'll it be today?" she asked.

"Same as always, Mrs.Cake! Soda!" Vinyl said, licking her lips

"That'll be 2 bits. As always." the blue pony said.

"Aw, man!" Vinyl whined, looking in her school bag, "forgot to bring the money again! Put it on a tab?"

Mrs.Cake sighed, "your tab is now at 54 bits."

"Thanks, Mrs.Cake dude!" Vinyl smiled and trotted off to find Octavia.

She found her a few carriages down in the quiet car. She was quite peacefully resting her eyes until Vinyl slammed her drink down on the table, opened it, loudly gulped it down and let loose a huge belch.

"That was gnarly! Six out of ten, am I right?" she beamed at Octavia.

"Charming," Octavia said, "if you are going to be loud then we might as well move to another carriage."

"Sounds cool!" Vinyl laughed.

First/Second Period: Double History.

Vinyl bashed her head against the desk repeatedly. If there was any lesson she hated the most, it was history. A double of it was bad for her too.

"...and can we explain why this is, Vinyl?" the teacher said, only those words being heard by Vinyl.

"Uh...er..." she stuttered.

"Pssssst...." Trixie whispered, "the answer is four!"

"Four!" Vinyl enthusiastically replied.

The teacher stared at her for a moment as if to say 'what?'.

"So, the pony pioneers discovered the frontier land and built upon it because four?" the teacher sighed.

"Ah," Vinyl shook her head, "should've been listening. Sorry."

She glared at Trixie, who was giggling loudly.

Vinyl then looked next to her to see Octavia sweating and straining with her hoof high in the air making 'mm' sounds to get the teacher's attention.

"Octavia?" the teacher finally asked.

"The pony pioneers discovered the frontier land and built upon it to rebuild the previous down which was destroyed by windigos due to the king's hated which they had earlier dealt with using the strong bonds of the town's locals, however the king did not survive and his successor, Blueblood the Second followed to build and rule over the new town. The windigos were formed when the king heard there was a more powerful unicorn than he in the land and decided to banish this unicorn forever. The unicorn's name was Starswirl the Bearded, who-" the teacher placed her hoof on Octavia's mouth.

"Yes, yes. We understand now. Thank you, Octavia." she sighed.

Vinyl drifted out again and luckily was not asked any other questions for the rest of the lesson.

Third Period: Music

Vinyl was not allowed to have her music classes in the same room as everypony else. She was always making dubstep on the computers at a volume so loud it felt like the music from her headphones was coming through everypony else's. Instead she had a whole soundproof room to her own. Her teacher crept in, levitating earmuffs with his magic.

"Okay, Vinyl, what have you got up to today?" he asked.

Vinyl turned around and smiled widely, then pulled the teacher up to her with her magic and put her hoof around him.

"Alright, music teacher bro! You gotta hear this! It's wicked!" she said in one breath.

The teacher sighed and put on his earmuffs.

Exclusion.

Vinyl Scratch was sent home early for almost bursting her music teacher's eardrums with dubstep music. He was in the hospital and immediately requested she was put on exclusion for the day as punishment. Vinyl slowly walked to her computer and opened up PonyHoof.