• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 715 Views, 7 Comments

Canterlot High's Changeling - OdicHastings



A changeling from Equestria struggles to adapt to a new and unknown world filled with humans. A fact only made worse by him now being one.

  • ...
1
 7
 715

A Better You II

“Is that even a machine?” Sunset Shimmer asked.

“Is this thing alive?” Glory asked.

“I thought you said this was an 'invention'?” I asked.

“People, people, please.” Dr. Brighter gave a nervous smile. “This was made with my invention.”

The thing looked like some sort of black, fleshy cocoon. It's surface pulsated every few seconds. It had a glossy and wet texture; like it was covered in a slimy substance. A strange slit was formed in it, as if the thing was capable of opening up.

“How is it possible that the... object, you have created here,” I said. “Was the worst part of this entire experience? I'm impressed honestly”

“T-t-the w-worst!?” Dr. Brighter stared at me in disbelief. “This specimen is fantastic! It can change people's lives for the better!”

Glory, Sunset Shimmer, and I glanced at each other.

Dr. Brighter stared expectantly.

“Okay,” I said, “See you at school Shimmer. I'm out.”

“Right behind-”

“Wait!” Dr. Brighter's voice was tinged with desperation. “Just give me a chance here...” He rushed over to the cocoon thing. “I'm only asking for a moment.”

Glory gave Dr. Brighter a sympathetic look.

And then she looked to me. She didn't say anything, but I could read her face well enough to know what she wanted.

I shook my head.

She mouthed 'we can stay just a minute longer'.

I shook my head.

'I'll take you to sugarcube corner after'

“I don't even like sugarcube corner,” I said.

“What!?” She stared in disbelief. “But you always said it was your favorite place in town.”

“Oh, uh... I did?” I scratched the back of my neck.

I flinched when the door slammed shut. Apparently Sunset Shimmer had the good sense to leave.

“You're losing your audience.”

“Huh?” I whipped around to see Dr. Brighter facing one of the room's corners.

“I-I...”

“Did you say something?” Glory asked.

Dr. Brighter looked back and forth between Glory and the cocoon thing. “Oh well, I was just-”

I scanned the room; I didn't see anyone around besides us three.

“A better you!” Dr. Brighter rushed over the cocoon thing. “Come in today, and be a better you tomorrow!” He patted the side of it with his hand.

A wet sound came from inside the cocoon thing. I winced as the slit opened and the thing split open. As they opened, strands of slimy goo connected the two fleshy flaps. Steam rose out from the cocoon in a thick, musky cloud.

The antiseptic smell that filled the lab came back in full force.

“BEHOLD!” Dr. Brighter shouted.

The mist faded, and I finally could see inside the cocoon.

It was empty.

“Okay, well. That was horrifying.” I looked to Glory. “Can we go now?”

“b-but... Where is-”

“Thank you, Dr. Brighter,” Glory said. “But I think we'll be going now.”

For once, she didn't dawdle. Glory grabbed my arm and led me out of the lab as quickly as possible.

Nothing could describe the relief I flt finally getting out of that outwardly dilapidated building. We were lucky that weirdo didn't leave us a bloody mess in the back somewhere. In could see the headlines already.

Mother and Son Missing For Weeks
Search still ongoing

Tragedy grips the community today as Glorious Destiny and her son Radiant are still missing. The woman in question was a single working mom, who vanished shortly after telling her friends she'd 'check out this interesting place'.

Her son, Radiant, who had returned home after running away a few weeks earlier, disappeared at the same time she did. Authorities speculate that the two of them were taking part in a terrible family outing, that Radiant ultimately wanted no part of. Public officials and local police have since apologized for repeatedly stopping him on the street for something as stupid and petty as 'truancy'.

Principal Celestia herself is stepping down, stating 'I shouldn't have forced that glorious god-child to attend school against his will, nor should I have made him stay late after in a pathetic attempt to punish him for truancy. Because ultimately, who needs a public education? Alate. That's who.'

“I think that one may have gotten away from me.”

Glory pulled us into our driveway. “What?”

“It's nothing.” I shook my head. “Just talking to myself.”

The night was pretty quiet after that. Glory cooked meatloaf. It took me a few seconds to work up the courage to eat it. It's not that Glory was a bad cook or anything, but meat wasn't exactly something I was used to eating. Ponies don't usually offer it in their restaurants.

Except that one time.

I should try infiltrating a diamond dog burrow when I get back. Pretty sure those guys actually eat meat. It's always nice to try something new from time to time.

Of course, I don't know that much about their people. Might be hard to keep up a disguise.

“Honey?” Glory was washing dishes in the kitchen.

I sat on the couch. I wasn't really sure what was on television. I had let my mind wander for the past... Actually, I wasn't really sure how long I'd been sitting there.

“Why did you say those things about her?”

“Huh?” I raised a brow.

“That girl,” she said. “The blond girl with red dyed hair.”

“I-”

“Or the red head with blonde dyed hair...?”

“I don't know what your talking about,” I said.

I flinched at the sound of her roughly putting a dish down.

“'She pretty much has it coming anyways?” She stepped into the living room.

“That's not exactly what I said.”

Glory stared at me.

“'She kinda has it coming anyways' is what I said.”

She glared. Hard.

“Look, she's not a good kid, alright?” I crossed my arms. “A while back she-”

“I don't care!” She sounded exasperated. “You don't say things like that about other people! Least of all, TO other people!”

I rolled my eyes. “I was saying it to you, not her.”

She looked like she wanted to say something after that, but didn't. She just wandered back into the kitchen, and returned to the dishes.

Not much happened after that. I pretended to watch television, while silently brooding about being trapped in another world, and then went to bed.

And that's when she stopped me.

I was lying down in bed when she opened my door a bit, and poked her head through.

“Honey.” Her tone was subdued, almost sad even. “You need to apologize to her tomorrow.”

“You just expect me to walk up completely out of the blue, and-”

“I don't have any way of knowing whether you apologize or not,” she said. “I can't keep tabs on you when you're at school.”

“Glory-”

“But, I'm asking you to do it anyways.” Glory sighed. “Because it's the right thing to do.”

She shut my door before I could think up a response. Not that it mattered, even after a few minutes there wasn't much I could think to say. Glory didn't seem to care what that girl had done in the past.

Perhaps it was because she hadn't experienced her attack first hand. Glory would change her tone if she'd been there.

Did it really matter? Glory said it herself, she had no way of knowing one way or the other what I did.

“Tomorrow...” I groaned. “I'll decide then.”

I took a deep breath, and did my best to put it out of my mind.

Author's Note:

So, NaNoWriMo is coming up. I've known about it for a couple of years, but I think I'm actually going to enter a story this year. It'll definitely slow down this story. As well as my original fiction. However, I promise that this wont fall by the way side. I will absolutely, without fail, write the new chapters to this story every day, without fail.

That said, it probably won't be very much each day. Still, even if its only a hundred words, I'll make sure I keep working on this.

In the meantime, as always, criticism is appreciated and I hope you enjoyed what's here.