• Published 13th Oct 2014
  • 2,087 Views, 62 Comments

The Origin Chronicles Vol. 2 - SmokeShadow95



Spike returns to fight a new Madness that is dragging Equestria in the dark

  • ...
4
 62
 2,087

Ch.19 Beautifully Mad

“Rarity?” Applejack and Rainbow Dash shared the confusion as they stared at the mare before their eyes.

“Is that you,” Fluttershy asked.

The reason behind the confusion is actually remarkably simple. You see, Rarity was always a pony of class, and she always prided herself on being a lady. The pony before them now, though, may have sounded like Rarity, but it certainly didn't look like Rarity.

For one thing, she was taller. She now shared Ebony Thorn's tall and slender, yet beautifully graceful physique. Her legs were a bit longer, her coat had gone from its normal alabaster white to a light, faded gray. But it went beyond just this. There were other features of Rarity's that were also changed. It was almost like she was a completely different pony.

It started with her mane. Rarity was always a fuss about her mane. She was always on constant watch to make sure her mane was okay, especially when they went on adventures. But now it different. It was straighter, and hung down in front of her left eye, so that a pony could only see her right eye. Not to mention that the color of her mane had turned a few shades darker. Her normally violet mane had taken on a deeper color to it.

Rarity stared at her friends with only the one eye showing, but that was all she needed. She stared at them with her red eyes, glowing with the power of the ooze behind them. The red glow cast an eery wave of unease over the ponies that she once called friends, but that was only half of it. The other half consisted of that creepy smile she wore. The more they looked at Rarity the more they came to realize that she was gone, taken by the ooze.

“Yes, yes, dear friends of mine,” Rarity mocked, “It is really me. I know I've changed a bit since the last time you saw me, but I am still Rarity. It's just that I am a bit better now, unlike you.”

“Now, now Rarity. You shouldn't put your former friends down so quickly.” From the shadows behind Rarity came a pony. Off a throne of a bloodied rose he descended. He came down from his perch to stand next to her. “After all, they did make it all the way here did they not?”

“I suppose they did, my king,” Rarity said, “But they just look so plain. Ooh, I know!”

Rarity got all excited about something. She moved away from the King and pranced up to the ponies. She moved in a line in front of them looked them all up and down as if sizing them up for something. She circled around Twilight a couple times before moving over to Fluttershy. She shook so much when Rarity came over to her. All she did was run a dark hoof through her mane once.

“Yes, yes,” Rarity muttered to herself as she moved, “I know exactly what you need!”

Rarity jumped back a step and manifested some items around her. A sewing needle, thread, scissors, and strangely enough a knife.

“You all need some color,” Rarity giggled maniacally, “I was thinking red. Blood red! Some nice, dark, crimson red of blood. Doesn't that sound great? Now who wants to go first?”

“Rarity,” Spike said as he stepped forward.

“Oh! We havea volunteer. Yay!”

“Rarity,” Spike said, more forcefully this time, “This needs to stop. Now.”

“But Spike, why?”

“Come on, Rarity,” Twilight said from behind Spike, “This has gone on long enough.”

“Very well,” Rarity replied. The items she had blinked out of existence and she turned to face the Mad King and his daughter, “I am not really that sorry, but I must be leaving now. It has been truly terrible being here with you. Goodbye.”

“What?!?” Ebony roared furiously, “Rarity, explain yourself! Now!”

“It happened back in the Crystal Empire,” Rarity started, “With all that was going on with Spike disappearing for a while we had to figure out new ways of fighting you. It took a while, but Twilight eventually came up with an idea. Turns out, Spike came back sooner than we thought and his magic made it all the more possible.”

“I still don't understand,” Ebony responded.

“You see, Ebony Thorn,” Rarity said, “I never liked you. I was never enthralled by you. I was just an act. I got you to bring me here so that they could eventually use me to find it. That part was mainly Twilight's idea, but it was Spike's magic that made it happen.”

“IMPOSSIBLE!” Bloodthorn bellowed out loudly. “You partook of the ooze. Nothin can resist the ooze. You expect me to believe you did?”

“Ah, yes. The Mad King, Bloodthorn. I was getting to you,” Rarity said, “I did nothing but what you told me too. I let the ooze infect my thoughts, but it was Spike who put up the magical barrier around my soul that kept me from actually turning, and Twilight who helped teach me some spells to further help me retain my real self all along.”

Bloodthorn ground his teeth angrily. He snarled at all of them and yelled out a primal yell of anger, frustration, and pure hatred. His eyes already glowed red, but they seemed to be even more so after that.

“And about that offer you made me before. I wholeheartedly decline on the grounds that you are a crazed psychopath with a tendency towards enslaving ponies with your dark magic,” Rarity said, “That, and I believed your daughter had more interest in me than you did.”

Rarity turned back with a huff. She stepped back to join her friends once again. Her horn glowed and with each step she took a small part of her returned to normal. Black ooze fell from her until she was back to her old self once again. The other ponies were still in a bit of shock as she took a spot next to Twilight.

“You see, Bloodthorn,” Spike said, “You're finished.”

“Am I?” Bloodthorn flashed his thorn and above them all torched flared up. The light above shone brightly and revealed a new threat, one that Spike did not foresee. Small figures of pony heads were carved into the stone work above, and they had holes where their mouths were. A black liquid was dripping down from them slowly.

“The original creators of this fortress used this system to drench any enemy that made it inside in scalding oils,” Bloodthorn stated, “But I now use it for the ooze. One false move, and I will drown them all in a wave of ooze not even that wench Rarity will be able to resist.”

“Hey!” Rarity called out, “A rejection is no need for name calling.”

“So now what,” Spike asked, oblivious as to what he should do next. He could sense to ooze all around him in the walls. There was no way he could get everyone out of harms way. Not with Bloodthorn at the trigger.

Bloodthorn smiled that evil smile of his, and he looked over at Ebony. She grinned in return and rose her head. Her horn flashed and then she pointed it at the floor between them. A large circular stone slab decorated the floor. It had to be at around twelve feet across. It dominated that part of the floor, yet it was strangely simple in design. Spike soon saw why, as the slab rose up magically until it was safely in a pocket in the ceiling that was clearly built for it. Inside the pit that had just been revealed was more ooze.

“Another previous feature you found a new use for?” Spike sarcastically remarked.

“No, I made this myself,” Bloodthorn said.

“Oh, and here I thought you had your daughter do everything for you,” Spike responded.

“I volunteer for most of it,” Ebony said, making her way over to Spike. “I find it all to be oh so very fun, and I like to have fun.”

Bloodthorn was still smiling evily. “Do you see now, Spike the Dragon? You have only two choices before you. You can give jump into the pit and surrender to the Madness, or you can watch as all of your friends turn and they force you in. What will it be?”

Spike turned around to see all of his friends once again. All six of them, together again. They had all worked so hard and given so much. They had all done so much and now what? Spike had to make an impossible choice. That was the life of a hero, but not the life he chose. It certainly wasn't the life he wanted. Spike sighed heavily and powered down from Mystik. Ebony took her chance.

She moved in front of him and raised herself up. She placed a hoof on his chest. She didn't push him, though. There was a moment shared between them. A moment, where Ebony looked deeply into Spike's eyes and he stared back into hers. Ebony then leaned in closer. Before everypony there Ebony kissed Spike.

He did not kiss back, but was stunned still when she kissed him. She seemed content with her kiss, though. After which she leaned in even closer. She pressed her body up to his and whispered in his ear.

“If I can't have Rarity, I will have you,” She hissed.

With that said she moved back. She pushed off of Spike with her hoof. She was propelled back while Spike was pushed back. He was unable to move as he fell back, and back into the pit. The ooze splashed up as his body sank deeper and deeper. Ebony watched as the ooze overtook him wholly.

“Why?!” Twilight screamed, “Why do all this?”

This time Bloodthorn chuckle a bit. He went back and sat upon his bloodied throne. “I suppose I could tell you a little more about the ooze.”

Ebony moved over to took a seat below her father. Bloodthorn didn't even take notice of her.

“You see, when Spike fought against the ooze before he never bothered with figuring it out. He just threw his magic against it and watched it burn. He never showed an interest in it, but he wasn't the only one involved. There were several ponies involved in that whole situation, but I am the only one who remained unseen.

“You see, I was but a simple pony before. I had a lovely garden, but not one you would like I don't think. I only a had a knack for growing the dangerous plants. Everything else died, but if it had bigger thorns, or poison leaves, or vines that gripped you tight until the life was squeezed out of you I could grow that. I enjoyed my life, but I was always intrigued with finding the next danger to conquer, as I had with my plants. And then the ooze came.

“I came home one night to find my plants all corrupted by the black ooze, and yet I was unafraid. Where most ponies would have looked on in horror and disbelief I looked at my plants with wonder and awe and intrigue. Where most ponies would have seen monstrosities, I saw my beautiful plants just get more lovely. I was determined to find out what happened, and so I did.

“I followed everything Spike did back then. I was there when he fought Galeek, and I am the only one who knew that not all of the ooze was destroyed then. I know not what twist of fate saved that small bit of ooze, but I believe it was destiny that I found it.”

Bloodthorn smiled widely and chuckled as he reveled in the thoughts of his past. His rise to power had been a good one, especially when you are a mad King. He had to take a moment to get out his enjoyment for his memories.

“Ah, yes. I learned so very much from that ooze sample, and I learned it all so very fast. Within a years time I had figured out a way to recreate it. Although, soon after that I myself was infected. I saw this as a gift. Just like my plants did, I grew to be so much more than I was before. It wasn't long after that I learned of the ooze's abilities to control others. It didn't take me long to harness those for myself. Although, my first few attempts failed with sheer madness as a result, but I figured I could use that as well. Within a year and a half I was spreading the Madness I had created. And then I made my last discovery, if could even be called my own.

“You see, I learned something that even I did not expect with all of the oozes capabilities. I learned the ooze is more than just ooze. It is alive. It is a creature in and of itself, and an ancient one at that. It was around who knows how much longer before the initial dragon empire rose to power. But the ooze has a single flaw, and that is that it needs a host body to be at full power.

“At the time, Galeek was the perfect host. Powerful, strong, and leader of a kingdom. Then Star Ethereal came along and cast him down into the void where she hoped he would rot for all eternity, but he didn't. The ooze got out and it wanted a new body.”

As the Mad King spoke more and more the ponies all came to a horrifying conclusion. They stood there as all their minds came together to form the thought. Together they cast their gaze at the ooze pit before them.

“Ah, you are getting it now,” Bloodthorn said.

“It's Spike,” Twilight said, “The new body the ooze wants is Spike.”

There. It was said. Twilight spoke the words. The girls recoiled in horror. Fluttershy immediately started crying, and Pinkie was right behind her. Rarity held it in, but she was close. Twilight sat down in a stunned slump. She was wracking her brain trying to comprehend this whole thing.

“Yes,” Ebony Thorn hissed, “And what a lovely body it is. Powerful, strong, and not that bad looking either.”

“Ah still don't understand one thing,” Applejack said, “Where do you fit in, princess?”

“Who, me?” Ebony mocked, “I was one of daddy's first successful experiments.”

Just then a tremor shook the whole fortress. Both Bloodthorn and Ebony smiled wide. The tremor originated from the ooze pit. The girls all took a step back. Another tremor shook the fortress, this one stronger than the last. Bloodthorn laughed maniacally as the ooze bubbled up from within the pit. And then he came out.

Spike's body erupted up from the pit, bigger and darker than before. Only the waist up half rose from the pit and still he took up most of the room. The ponies saw as Spike flailed around a bit. They saw as it was only half of him that was oozed. The other half was still the same purple scaled dragon they knew and loved, but that part of him was slowly being consumed by the ooze. They saw as the dark, oozed patches encroached upon the parts of him that were still him.

“Still you struggle, Spike?” Bloodthorn called out to him.

“Just give in, Spike,” Ebony hissed, “Just give in and you will be so beautifully Mad!”

“SHUT UP!!” Spike yelled out, but it was two different voices that escaped him. He threw up his hands. He clutched his head and shook. “GGAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!”

Spike let out a pained scream and collapsed. His now very large body fell forward and slumped in front of all the girls. Twilight wanted to approach him, but she couldn't. She tried to move, but her hooves were stuck to floor. Her body was locked in place as she saw the struggle Spike was going through. His breathing was shallow and labored, yet he lifted his head up.

“Spike?” Twilight said.

“Twilight,” Spike said, “Please- GAAAHHHH!!”

Spike gripped his head as another pained scream was bellowed out from his enormous lungs.

“Twilight,” He uttered through the pain, “T- tell Luna- GAAHHH!”

Spike slammed his fists down, forcing Twilight and all the girls back. They huddled together for safety and comfort. They were forced to watch as more and more of Spike was consumed by the ooze. It was almost all of him now. Only his face remained untouched. He looked at them with the last ounce of strength and compassion he had.

“Tell Luna I'm sorry,” Spike said. He lifted up a large hand and waved it in front of them, passing by each of them in turn as a light flooded over them. They could do nothing to stop it.

Before they could even react the light faded away and they found themselves in Canterlot. Each of them looked around to see if it was real, and found that it was all too real. Many guards stood around them wondering where they came from and what they should do. It wasn't even a moment later that Celestia came into the room.

“Girls?!” She stated, “What are you doing here?”

They all turned around to face Celestia but they said nothing. In part due to shock, but mostly because they weren't sure what to say. How in the world could they describe what just happened? How could they tell Celestia that they had won, and yet lost so horribly? Truth be told Celestia was already getting a good idea of what happened. Fluttershy was still crying, and they all looked defeated. It wasn't until Luna came bursting in with Cadence right behind her that they actually spoke.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Luna said hurriedly, “Please, quickly tell me what has transpired. What happened? Where is Spike?”

Luna looked at Twilight with pleaded eyes, but as she took her time forming an answer she looked over the other ponies. She came to the same conclusion that her sister did, that anypony would.

“No,” Luna said with tears building up, “No! Please, Twilight, tell me it isn't so. Tell me this feeling I have isn't true. Tell me that Spike is okay. Please, Twilight, tell me!”

Luna was full on crying now. Cadence stood with Celestia. There was nothing they could do. Not even Twilight could hold it in anymore. The whole situation in all its entirety was sinking in and she was crying. Luna's streaming tears hit the floor and Twilight looked up into her eyes.

“Spike is sorry.”