• Published 10th Oct 2014
  • 11,840 Views, 1,116 Comments

On the Corner of Straight and Narrow - Tatsurou



Sam and Max raise a filly Trixie while solving mysteries.

  • ...
23
 1,116
 11,840

How to Think With Portals

After spending a month driving home from the North Pole - they stopped several times along the way so Trixie could see the sights - they arrived, crashing the Desoto into a wall in the process. Trixie managed to use her cape as a parachute as she glided in for a safe landing, though Sam and Max both face planted into the pavement, none the worse for wear.

Sam and Max then began what would have been an interesting discussion parodying an old movie, but Trixie wasn't able to focus on it. She was a bit distracted by the sight of Sybil running down the street, screaming her head off, pursued by a giant red triangle that sucked up everything it passed. This became especially distracting when the suction proved strong enough to drag her slowly from the ground. "Daddy, help!" she screamed out as she was yanked off the ground and through the portal.

"Trixie!" Max shouted out, trying and failing to snatch her from the air.


Trixie bounced several times from the force of the portal propelling her through the air. She soared over the head of a gun wielding baby and into a cavern, leading her into an underwater cavern that led to her crashing into a water cooler containing a ghost fish. The cooler fell over, and the ghost fish vanished. Strange creatures then approached her.

"You have slain high priest!" the first one proclaimed.

"You must pay ultimate price!" the second added.

"You shall face ultimate torment!" the third concluded, as they reached towards her with waving tentacles.

Trixie stepped back in anger. "Don't you dare lay tentacles upon the Great and Powerful Trixie! She will smite you with her mighty magic if you try!" She began charging her magic. "Besides, that fish was a ghost already."

The three beings floated back, gasping in shock as they stared at her. "Is it possible?" the lead one demanded in shock.

"No way!" the second added.

"Rana Kao's best pony has come to us!" the third proclaimed. "The Great and Powerful Trixie graces us with her presence!"

Pulling her head back in shock, Trixie glanced around. Behind the massive boiler she was standing on, there was an unnaturally shaped volcanic rock drawing in the shape of a unicorn with the mark on her flank above it three times. "...Trixie did not see that coming," she admitted to herself.

"She has cleared the trials!" the first creature proclaimed. "She is the unicorn powerful and great! She bears the Mark of Adorability! And she speaks in the third person! She is the chosen one, and we must greet her in the proper manner!"

All three creatures floated back in the water and began bowing to her. "Shoo bee doo!" they chanted.

Trixie tilted her head in further confusion. "Well...Trixie always knew she would have adoring fans someday...but she hadn't expected anything like this..."


Trixie found that being worshiped and adored was quite the pleasant experience, although she was still somewhat lonesome because Sam and Max were nowhere in sight. She knew that, eventually, they'd find their way to her and everything would be okay. Until then, she would simply have to endure.

Endurance would be far easier if her worshipful, adoring subjects had more to offer her than seaweed, seashells, and expired Banang.

"Trixie wants real food!" she proclaimed angrily.

"I don't blame you, kid!" the baby she'd sailed over said as he walked in with his hands in the air, the barrel of a gun to the back of his head. "How low Jimmy Hoffa has sunk..."

"Trixie!" Max proclaimed happily, holstering his pistol and running forward.

The Underfeet - as the sea monkey like creatures called themselves - moved to get between Max and Trixie. "You shall not touch the sacred one!" the first proclaimed.

"Stand down!" Trixie bellowed. "That is Trixie's Daddy!"

They immediately bowed to her. "Shoo bee doo," they intoned apologetically.

"Daddy!" Trixie called happily, leaping into Max's arms.

Baby Jimmy Hoffa shrugged as he stormed back up. "Never been held up before...I'm never gonna live this down..."

Sam joined Max in hugging Trixie. "So what's going on here?" he asked.

"Apparently their volcano god thinks Trixie is 'Best Pony', which makes Trixie sacred in their religion," Trixie explained. "Trixie doesn't get it, but being worshiped is nice...if they had more to give Trixie as worshipful gifts. The seaweed is inedible, the Banang is expired-"

"Banang expires?" Max asked in shock.

"Hard to accept, but apparently so," Sam pointed out, examining the offerings.

"Everything I've ever believed is a lie!" Max wailed.

"So...it's Tuesday?" Trixie asked.

"Basically," Max replied.

"So what's happening up there?" Trixie asked.

"The volcano is about to erupt, and we need to stop it to save the moai heads," Sam explained.

"Why do we need to do that?" Trixie asked.

"I've been asking that same thing since we took the case," Max replied.

"It's kind of what we do as Freelance Police," Sam explained.

"Trixie thought we blew stuff up on a regular basis!" Trixie countered.

"She has a valid point," Max added.

"Tell you what, Trixie, if you can find a way to make the volcano erupt without hurting anyone here, then we can let it erupt," Sam replied.

"Trixie did push that button up top that said in case of emergencies," Trixie pointed out. "She thought it would bring Daddy."

"In case of emergencies means to stop an emergency, not create one," Sam pointed out.

"Oh..." Trixie replied in understanding.

"Is that why we came out of the big triangle just before it got sucked into the giant one and we had to swim to the island?" Max asked.

"Highly likely," Sam replied. "Did it make a loud gong?"

"Uh huh," Trixie replied.

"The gongs summon the portals," Sam pointed out.

"So if we put the big portal in front of the volcano?" Trixie offered.

"Genius!" Max proclaimed, making Trixie smile happily.

"But to do that, we'll need to feed the portal a red hexagon," Sam pointed out.

Trixie conjured a red hexagon in her magic. "Like this?"

"That'll do," Sam replied.


Getting the large portal into the proper position, the trio sat back to watch the volcano erupt while eating a picnic lunch Sam had in his coat. The Underfeet then gave them a lift back to shore at Trixie's request, after declaring Max the new High Priest, as the Father of the Sacred Filly.

Author's Note:

...I did not originally plan to finish episode two in a single chapter. Especially one this short.

...Sorry?