• Published 14th Oct 2014
  • 1,828 Views, 76 Comments

Love and Punderstanding - Jonesly

  • ...
7
 76
 1,828

33. Hearth's Warming

It was Hearth's Warming Eve in Canterlot. The snow was softly drifting down, blanketing the city in white. The palace was quiet, everyone having been sent home for the holiday. In the private chambers of the Princess of the Sun, two mares were lying comfortably in front of the crackling fire. They'd had a quiet night in and were now settled for the evening.

“Celestia,” Twilight Sparkle began nervously, “I know it's not Hearth's Warming Day, but I have a gift I'd like for you to open.”

“Oh?” Celestia asked. “My gift to you is under the tree downstairs with the rest of the gifts. Do you want me to fetch it for you?

“No,” Twilight replied, “It's just... it's just that this gift is very personal and I was hoping you'd open it in private. I... I don't think I could bear you opening it in public if you didn't like it.”

“Of course Twilight.” Celestia nuzzled Twilight lovingly. “That it is from you is enough already. I'm sure it'll be wonderful.”

Twilight lit up her horn and with a soft pop and a flash of violet light, a small red box wrapped with a green bow appeared before her. As the purple glow faded from the box, a warm golden glow took over. Pulling the bow apart, the glow opened the lid and pulled out a small green crystal resting on a white cushion.

“What is it?” Celestia asked curiously, “I sense time magic at work and something else...”

“It's keyed to your magic and a name.” Twilight said softly. “Once you give it the name, the temporal magic will go to work, opening a window into the past to see the named pony. The window will shift with time, showing the pony throughout their life.”

“Twilight...” Celestia's eyes widened as she held the crystal. “That is incredibly complex magic. Is this why you've been burying yourself in the archives for the last three weeks?”

Twilight nodded. “I've been working on this since our trip to the cabin, actually. It finally came together last week with Luna's help.”

Celestia's horn lit up as she directed her magic in the base, “Aurora, Aurora Morningstar.” she whispered.

The crystal lit up, projecting the smiling image of a white pegasus, her mane a soft golden color with pink and purple highlights, done up in an ancient style. Her eyes glowed with a mischievous light. She gave the impression that she had just pulled a grand prank and was struggling to hold in her laughter.

Celestia let out a gasp at the image. “That's her. That's my girl. That was the day that she... Oh Twilight, she lived so long ago. I have nothing remaining of her, and now this? I can't even begin to tell you what this gift means to me.” She reached over with her wing and pulled Twilight in tightly. Hugging her as tears started to fall from her eyes. Twilight burrowed into the embrace, wrapping her own wings around Celestia and holding her as tears fell on the floor.

When her emotions had steadied out, a small voice came from beside her. “C-Can you tell me... about her?” Twilight asked shyly.

“I would love to,” Celesita's voice wavered. “Sh-She... had this smirk she would get when she knew she was doing something clever...”

As Celestia started speaking, her voice grew stronger and more steady. Into the night, the two snuggled together, sharing stories of a pony long gone, yet never forgotten. The crystal shone, and through it, Aurora smiled once more at her mother, her gaze full of love and life.

Author's Note:

This is a direct continuation from Winter.