• Published 14th Oct 2014
  • 1,828 Views, 76 Comments

Love and Punderstanding - Jonesly

  • ...
7
 76
 1,828

10. Instrument

It was raining in Canterlot. Not a storm, but a steady, pouring rain intended to fill the reservoirs for the rest of the year. Evening was falling over the darkened city, everyone who could be was tucked into warm and dry places, out of the rain. Twilight Sparkle was one of the few remaining ponies not at rest, though if she had her way, not for long.

Vreeeee,” the sound echoed through the hallway as Twilight moved towards the apartments shared by her and her fiance. “Is that... a violin?” she thought. As she opened the outer door to the suite, she could here some peppy, bouncy music coming from inside the study.. She grinned as she moved towards the door, preparing to fling the door open and pounce on her fiance.

She paused though, as the music changed tempo and cadence, becoming more somber and melancholic. No longer a peppy upbeat song, this one was slower, calling to Twilight to listen, to stop and ponder why the music was as it was. It had an almost hypnotic droning quality, often repeating its themes for a few minutes. It built to a climax, the song seeming to say that it didn't matter that it was down. It's melancholy actually had a temporary feel to it, as if the music were aware that every downside was temporary and could be overcome.

Twilight nudged the door open and stepped in. Celestia looked up at her and smiled, gesturing with her head to a spot on the cushions next to her. Twilight quietly moved over and settled down next to Tia.

The music changed once more, this song was beautiful. The violin speaking out to the sky. The tones sang of loneliness, want, need and sorrow. It was haunting. Twilight could feel the emotion of the musician, calling out to one loved and lost. Twilight found herself thinking of her brother and how he was far to the north, of how often she saw her parents, even to how Spike no longer lived with her. She could feel Tia's pain, long held, over her sister's loss. The song teased her heart, plucking at her heartstrings as though to add an internal resonance to the song. As the music built to a climax, she allowed it to flow over and through her; surfacing pains long ignored or thought long forgotten and soothing them with an overarching message that even with all that could go wrong in a life, there would always be time for those who brought warmth to a heart and a life. That though the time may be temporary, it was not wasted. The song trailed off into the sound of the pouring rain.

As Tia finished, she quietly set her violin to the side and snuggled in tightly with her fiance.

Twilight looked at her in awe, “That was amazing. I didn't know you could play an instrument, why would you hide that from me. I... needed this.” a tear trickled down her cheek.

Tia smiled gently, wiping the tear from Twilight's face, “Oh, I don't really play. I just fiddle around.”