• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 639 Views, 13 Comments

Rhapsody in Orange and Black - dramatic_spoon



Nightmare Night with Rhapsody and her friends.

  • ...
1
 13
 639

Something Strange.

Lyra slowly opened one eye and sighed. The mare shifted her position, turning over in bed away from the wall. Her other eye opened and a smile crept onto her face: Big Macintosh smiled back and leaned forward, gently kissing her on the nose.

“Mornin’ Beautiful,” He murmured.

“Good morning, Mac.” Lyra sighed, “You know what today is right?”

Big Macintosh shifted, bringing his body closer to Lyra, “Well, I’m ho-”

The door slammed open as the sound of hooves plittered on the floor. Before either pony could respond, something landed on Big Macintosh’s stomach.

“HOOFH!” Mac grunted as four hooves smashed into his stomach. Lyra bolted upright, as the assailant rolled off Big Macintosh and beamed at Lyra.

“It’s Nightmare Night!” a rust-coated unicorn filly beamed at Lyra, “Me an’ Gem are gonna get all the candy tonight!”

“Rhapsody, what did we tell you about jumping onto the bed?” Lyra scolded her daughter, “Mac you alright?”

“Fine.” He wheezed out, “Think she missed my ribs.”

“Um…I’m sorry?” Rhapsody nervously smiled back at her mother.

“Apologize to your father, not me.”

Rhapsody sulked as she turned her attention to Big Macintosh, “Sorry pa.”

“It’s alright,” Mac grumbled as he got out of bed, “But you still got your chores t’ do.”

“Awww….” Rhapsody whined and collapsed on the bed, “Do I gotta?”

“It’s ‘Do I have to’, and yes you do.”

“…Fine.” Rhapsody flopped onto her back. Her horn shimmered, pulling the blankets back over her, “I ain’t getting’ outta bed until it’s nighttime then.”

“Rhapsody, you’re gonna work today,” Big Macintosh frowned.

“I can’t hear you, I’m sleepin’.” Rhapsody turned away from her father and began to snore. With a roll of her eyes, Lyra’s magic flared to life, quickly wrapping the blanket around Rhapsody and lifting the struggling filly off the bed.

“HEY!” Rhapsody’s muffled voice cried out. The blanket continued to wiggle around, struggling against the fabric.

“Rhapsody. Unless you help your father with your chores, you are going to stay home tonight.” Lyra stated.

The struggling stopped.

“No Nightmare Night?” Rhapsody’s voice nearly broke as she asked.

“Not unless you do your chores.”

The bundled up blanket remains completely still and silent as Rhapsody pondered her options. Finally the blanket began to squirm again as Rhapsody stuck her head out.

“Pumme down, I’ll do my chores.”

“Good girl.” Lyra smiled as her aura vanished, dropping the blanket back onto the bed. A sulky Rhapsody crawled off and landed on the floor.
“Now go eat your breakfast and get started.”

“Fine…”

The filly trotted out of the room, leaving her parents behind.

“Bit harsh, don’t you think?” Mac asked his wife.

“Not really,” she shook her head, “You have to go for the important things when dealing with kids.”

“…You had a rough childhood, didn’t you?”

“Mom was strict.” She shrugged.

---

Rhapsody peeked out the window. The full moon stared back at her and her smile grew even larger. She leapt off the couch, landing with a slight jingle as the fake spurs, fake bandoliers and fake revolvers jingled. Rhapsody adjusted her bandana, vest and cowboy hat and she began to pace the room. Lyra and Big Macintosh entered the room: Lyra’s mane was hidden beneath a wide brimmed black hat, black domino mask over her eyes. She pushed her black cape aside, revealing a black waist sash and fake rapier. Big Macintosh was clad in a simple white shirt, beaten blue jacket, battered brown newsy cap, and a large stage razor tucked into his pocket. Rhapsody stared at him, cocking her head to the side.

“Pa, how come you’re dressed like a homeless pony?”

“I told it was a bad idea.” Lyra nudged him.

“You’ll understand when you’re older.” Mac shook his head, “Did Bloom and Rumble come out yet?”

“Nope.”

“Apple Bloom!” Big Macintosh called up the stairs, “You done yet?”

“Almost!”

Apple Bloom came down the stairs in her costume: fake piercings studded her nose, lips and ears. Thick framed glasses were perched on her nose, and her mane was dyed black. She wore a loose flannel shirt and hoodie. Rhapsody and Lyra turned their attention to her, Lyra frowning and Rhapsody deep in thought.

“What?” Apple Bloom shrugged, “I’m Bangarang.”

“The musician? Ugh.” Lyra rolled her eyes, “I don’t see how Rumble can listen to that stuff.”

“Speakin’a Rumble, wasn’t he up there with you?” Mac interrupted his sister’s retort, “What’s takin’ him?”

“He’s embarrassed because someone lost a bet!” Apple Bloom glared up the stairs, “And he’s a sore loser.”

“I’m not going.” Rumble’s voice called back.

“We made a bet and you lost it! Ain’t no backin’ out of it now!” Apple Bloom punctuated her point with a stomp, knocking off one of her fake piercings, “Oh shoot.”

“Rumble, we’re gonna be late if you don’t come on out,” Big Macintosh called out, “I don’t think you wanna explain why you didn’t take all th’ kids trick-or-treatin’ like you promised. You know how Gem an’ Tomahawk can be.”

Silence followed Big Macintosh’s statement. After several moments, and audible sigh was heard, followed by a door creaking open. Rumble flittered down the stairs and landed next to Apple Bloom. Everyone stared at the stallion: the maid’s outfit clung to his body, showing off his muscles. Rumble looked down at the high heels he was wearing and sighed.

“Do I have to wear the heels? They’re killing me.”

“It’s all part of the costume.” Apple Bloom grinned back.

Lyra opened her mouth to speak, but changed her mind. “Forget it, I don’t want to know.” She shook her head.

“Uncle Rumble how come you’re dressed like a girl?” Rhapsody asked.

“ ‘Cause he made a bet with me and I won.” Apple Bloom chuckled.

“…You sure this is an appropriate costume for you t’ be goin’ around in?” Big Macintosh raised an eyebrow.

“It’s Nightmare Night, Mac.” Apple Bloom continued on, “No pony batted and eye when you were that fella from Rocky Horror Picture Show. Y’know, with the lingerie an’ stuff.”

“That was part of a theme,” Big Macintosh paused, “Besides it was a random drawin’ for who was who.”

“It’s fine,” Lyra interrupted, “Rumble, if you want to stay behind, go ahead.”

“No, I’ll do it.” Rumble sighed, “I heard Snips and Berry Pinch were going to go as a bride and groom.” He paused, “Snips is the bride.”

“Ah.” Big Macintosh.

“Can we get goin’ yet?” Rhapsody asked, “I don’t wanna miss the Cake’s haunted house, or Aunty Trixie’s magic show, An’ Miss Dinky said she was gonna read Scary Stories to tell in the Dark at th’ library, an’-”

“Alright, we’ll get going.” Lyra interrupted her, “We still have to pick up Slide Rule and Flash, after all.”

Rhapsody leapt out the front door, leaving the adults to catch up to her.

“…She really has been looking forward to tonight, hasn’t she?” Rumble asked the others.

“Eeyup.” Lyra and Big Macintosh replied in unison.