• Published 23rd Apr 2012
  • 11,905 Views, 149 Comments

The Dragon and the Changeling - PrometheusDark



There was no room in her heart. But what if she was wrong?

  • ...
13
 149
 11,905

Getting to Know You

“So whats your name, anyway?” The dragonling's question caught her off guard, how could he not know her name? She was the most feared being in Equestria! Or, at least, she was. She was next to nothing now, having nothing but this baby dragon's emotions to feed on, and they weren't even enough to give her the strength to walk. The only reason she was talking to him in the first place was because he was her life-line now, considering how low she was on 'Love.' That, and because he wouldn't leave.

“Chrysalis.” She muttered her answer, not quite understanding why she would bother giving him her name. Perhaps it was simply her desire to be known and feared by all, even this little dragon who had found his way to her in the Everfree Forest.

It was completely by chance that he found her, hiding in a very small and cramped cave, trying to rebuild her power from the local wildlife. She was a queen no more, her army of Changelings was gone, her powers were gone thanks to that lovey-dovey couple. It was almost ironic that she, the one who calls emotions food, would be defeated by love. It was like a child's adventure book, really. Cliché.

“I'm Spike.” The dragon said simply, jabbing his thumb to his chest. She really didn't care. She could feel something coming off of him in waves, and that's where her attention lay. “You have pretty eyes, Chrysalis.” That caught her off guard. Was he teasing her? If she had the power to, she'd smite him where he stood!

“Whats that supposed to mean?” She snarled, fangs bared. He didn't even flinch, the dragon, Spike, it sounded like a pet's name. “If you're making fun, then go find it elsewhere. I'll not be bullied by a insignificant baby dragon.” He just laughed it off. This enraged her more.

“I'm not teasing you, its called a compliment. When you live around women as long as I have, you tend to pick up on things. Like how they like compliments about their good features. Your eyes are pretty, so I said so.” With his mouthful finished, he nodded sagely. This seemed strange, lived around nothing but women? Her curiosity was nagging at her to find out more. Her rage gone, she pressed on into the conversation.

“Women? Anyone special?” She couldn't keep the venomous hint out of her voice, as well she couldn't help but give in to her curiosity. “A lover?” She emphasized. The blush that came to his cheeks told her everything she needed to know. But perhaps not.

“Love is a way strong word. I would say I like her, and could love her. But she wouldn't accept me anyway. All she sees in me is a kid, a baby. And why shouldn't she?” He stared at the ground as she processed this. It wasn't often a child would be able to discern love from infatuation.

“You're wiser then she gives you credit for.” She looked away from him, did she just pay someone a compliment? Throwing caution to the wind, she kept going, seeing his confused look. “Love isn't something that builds in a day, or a moments notice. Love takes time, and it grows stronger every passing day.” Spike looked at her for a while in silence, and she kept her gaze occupied by things such as the grass on the ground outside the cave. How the mighty fall. She was once a queen of the Changelings, but now here she was, giving a baby dragon advice. It was almost enough to make her cry, but tears would solve nothing.

“Where will you go?” The armor piercing question shook her from her stupor, her thoughts swirling, where would she go? She didn't know. The Changelings were gone, and she was the last left of her fallen kingdom. She was powerless and at the mercy of any passing wildlife that thought of her as a tasty snack. She actually felt rather lucky to be found by this young dragon first, since he seemed harmless.

“I don't have a home anymore.” She said, adding a sigh at the end. She didn't want to look so useless. “All my subjects are gone, and my kingdom is surely empty. I have no way to get back even if it wasn't.” She lamented further. It struck something in Spike, something that he didn't like about himself.

“I could help with that.” His overwhelming urge to be a nice guy.


The town of Ponyville was a lively, happy place. The very sight of the bright colors and cheerful inhabitants made her stomach churn with anger. Emotions were thick in the air, almost overwhelming her senses, but a palm on her side calmed her down. Spike, that little dragon had proven to be very kind, almost to a fault.

The black coated unicorn struggled to regain her self control, with all the love and happiness floating about the town, she had almost gone into something akin to a blood-lust rage one would associate with a dragon greedily stealing anything and everything he sees. Then there was Spike himself. Here he was, offering a known criminal a place to stay. It baffled her, and made her feel a bit strange, but she wasn't going to decline. Not when this was a prime opportunity to regain her power.

Chrysalis herself had regained some power simply by being near the town, using the energy she had left to shift her form. Though she couldn't change her fur color, she had made her wings disappear, gave herself a cutie-mark in the shape of a treble clef, and made her horn shift to look like a unicorn's. Her eyes had stayed the same green color, though they were no longer slitted. She looked almost normal, though if you strayed long enough, you'd notice the off features, and sunken cheekbones, the greasy hair, and even the tiniest of fangs in her mouth. Spike just hoped this would be enough to fool Twilight.

As they made their way into the Ponyville library, made of a hallowed out tree, Spike made sure to close the door behind them, and the sight shocked the young dragon even though he should have expected it. Books everywhere, cluttering the floor, tables, counters, and a purple unicorn with her face so deep into a large tome that one would think she was trying to merge with it.

“Twilight!” He groaned out loud, vocally pulling the girl from her reading. “Can't I leave for an hour without coming back to find you've destroyed the whole library?” He was exasperated, Chrysalis guessed this happened a lot.

“Oh, uh. Right, I guess I got carried away with my research?” She grinned sheepishly, even though her answer was more of a question. “Can you give me a hoof with this mess?” She asked, turning back to her book. Spike knew what that meant. By 'give me a hoof' she meant 'do it all yourself.' It was then that he remembered the Changeling he had brought with him. How did Twilight not notice her?

“Yeah, whatever, I'll do it.” He didn't even put up a fight, it'd be useless anyway, and would probably end with him going to bed early. “But, uh, first, I'd like you to meet someone.” Spike motioned to the unicorn beside him, who seemed to be preoccupied with her thoughts. Twilight nodded, still not looking up from her book.

“That's nice, Spike, but we have work to do, so if you could send her home, that'd be great.” She was impossible sometimes, that Twilight Sparkle. Spike knew she wasn't being rude on purpose, but that didn't change the fact that she was, well, being rude. Spike threw his hands into the air as if begging whatever greater beings there are up there, Celestia, Luna, anyone to give him aid with this insufferable book worm.

“That's just it, Twi! She doesn't have a home!” He practically screamed. This broke Twilight from her book, her head snapped to look at the pair at the doorway. She seemed to just now notice that this unicorn was strange. Something was off. She was a bit ugly, at least to Twilight, and her eyes held something that made her skin crawl. Twilight suddenly felt very protective of her surrogate little brother.


It took some time and a lot of convincing, but finally Twilight had relented. But Spike's request, to allow Chrysalis to stay in their tree/library/home fell through, and the purple mare wasn't budging an inch on the subject. Chrysalis wasn't exactly surprised, she knew this plan was stupid, but followed through with it anyway to her great confusion. Usually she was so calculated on what she did, but this time it was on a whim.

“Don't worry, Spike, we'll find a place for her to stay. I mean, someone will take her in for a few nights until she gets her bearings, right?” Twilight didn't sound to sure herself, but Spike trusted her, even if he thought she was a bit scatter-brained sometimes. Chrysalis on the other hand, only knew this pony was the one that helped that wretched little goody-goody Cadence. But she surprised her anger, if she was going to last long, she'd need to fool them all again. Maybe there was a way to get that delicious love after all?

“Whatever you say, Twi.” Spike waved it off, his confidence in his plan to bring the so-called villain into town growing. “I'm going to make some daisy sandwiches, then I'll get cleaning.” He walked into the kitchen, unintentionally leaving the two mares alone together. This would not end well.

“So, where are you from?” Twilight glared daggers at the Changeling, her obvious disdain for Chrysalis was showing through clear as crystal. “Whats your name? How'd you meet Spike?” Her rapid fire questions all were making Chrysalis feel uncomfortable, she'd need to think of some lies, and quick.

“I'm from, uh, Fillydelphia.” She answered the first question hesitantly under the scrutinizing stare. “My name is Chrysa- er, Chrysie.” She almost slipped up there, she congratulated herself on her quick save. “And he found me lost in the Everfree Forest.” She finished simply. Twilight's right eye twitched slightly. Just then, Spike decided to reenter the room with a plate on claw, piled with sandwiches.

“Spike, you wandered into Everfree Forest again?! How many times have I told you it was dangerous?” The purple mare's sisterly instincts kicked in. “There are wild animals, poisonous plants, and all sorts of dangerous things out there!” She took a sandwich off the plate as she scolded him. “What would I do if you got hurt, huh? Or worse!” She took a bite. “Oooh, this is good. What did you put in it?” Chrysalis was beginning to question her sanity. Maybe she was bipolar?

“I added some extra seasonings.” Spike spoke proudly, he presented a sandwich to Chrysalis, who took it in her magical grip and eyed it wearily. Changelings don't normal eat anything other then emotions and meat. But looking down at Spike, who stared up expectantly with his eyes large and innocent, she felt she was hungry enough to eat this sandwich, so she did. She took a bite and chewed it slowly, it tasted like old socks if you asked her. She swallowing the large lump of bread and assorted pony-foods. It sat in her stomach like a brick. Spike looked at her still, the same way as before, like he was expecting something.

“Uh. Yum?” Chrysalis turned her gaze away, unable to look him in the eyes. Why did she care that he wanted her opinion, and why did she not want to hurt his feelings? This sandwich was disgusting! She took another bite, then another, and finally the sandwich was gone.

“I knew you'd like it, I don't usually use my special herbs and spices.” Spike boasted, unaware of her actual thoughts on the food, as he busied himself. She raised an eyebrow. What was so special about this occasion, then? She cast the thought aside, deciding she didn't really care. It was a stupid sandwich anyway.

“You finish cleaning and I'll take Chrysie to a place she can stay.” Twilight called as she walked toward the door, beckoning for Chrysalis to follow her. If Spike had been looking at Twilight when she said that, he'd have noticed her grin. It wasn't a happy grin, it was a grin that you get when you're planning something. Chrysalis knew it well.

“Okay, Twi. I'll see ya, Chrysie.” He waved at her and she felt strange again. Something compelled her to play nice with Twilight, for a time at least.

“Bye, Spike.” Chrysalis said, feeling a bit weird about leaving the dragonling. The only one who made her feel comfortable in this town. Twilight led Chrysalis from the library, and headed for Sweet Apple Acres.