• Published 29th Oct 2014
  • 1,120 Views, 13 Comments

It's Lurking in the Woods - xStellar_Bubbles



Scootaloo thought that it would all be over. She thought that there wasn't anything to be afraid about anymore. But what Scootaloo doesn't realize is that there's something else that is lurking in the darkness of the forests...

  • ...
1
 13
 1,120

Chapter 1: Settling In

On a chilling summer sunset, the crusaders, Applejack, and Rarity were all at the edge of Ponyville. On theirs backs, each of the ponies had small saddlebags. Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, and Scootaloo all gazed into the distance to try to spot a certain somepony. The crusaders gave each other concerned looks. Scootaloo then turned to Applejack.

"Hey Applejack, when do you think that Rainbow Dash will arrive?" she asked. The farmpony then gave a philosophical look.

"Hmm, we left 'bout a few minutes ago. So, she'll arrive soon, little filly!" Applejack replied.

"Alright! Hopefully she doesn't miss this trip. That last one was pretty fun, right Sweetie Belle?" Scootaloo said as she faced her friend.

"Yeah! We all agreed on the idea and even made Rainbow sign a contract!" she said. Rarity became very confused and laughed at the absurdity.

"My my, a contract? You girls grow up too quickly with your utmost early maturity!" she said.

"Ah don't know what that means, but I'm taking that as a good thing." Applebloom said. As Scootaloo continued to stare in the pale blue yonder, she spotted a cerulean pegasus flying towards the group and gasped as the figure came in with a quick and safe landing. Scootaloo's eyes widened with excitement and ecstasy.

"Rainbow Dash!" she called out as she went to give her idol a hug. Rainbow patted Scootaloo on the back as both of them backtracked.

"It's good to see you too, Scoots!" Rainbow Dash said.

"So, same place as last time?" Applejack asked.

"Same place as last time." said Rainbow Dash as the group of ponies began to trot over to Winsome Falls for their second camping trip. Scootaloo looked at the path of the Everfree Forest and became quite anxious.

"The Everfree Forest seems creepier this year..."

--------------------

After a few more miles of walking, the ponies finally arrived at their camping spot. The same logs from the last camping trip were still lying on the soil. As they all sat down on the seats, Rainbow looked up at the sky and saw the bright shine of the moon from above. Perfect, she thought.

"Hey guys, do you think you're all ready for another legend?" Rainbow asked.

"We do! We do!" the Cutie Mark Crusaders all shouted. Rainbow Dash motioned her hooves to calm the fillies down.

"Alright, alright. So, have you guys heard of the legend of Slendermane?" she said in a quiet and petrifying tone. The crusaders shook their heads in curiosity while Applejack and Rarity witnessed the storytelling.

"You see, legend says that on a moonlit night like today, Slendermane, a slim pony-like creature with a tuxedo will wander about the Everfree Forest. And ponies who dare to stroll at where he lives, especially children, will definately meet this creature's fate. Some ponies who venture into the depths of the forests mysteriously disappear, possibly killed. But, nopony will ever know, for the fillies and colts in the Everfree Forest will never be seen again, for-ever!Mwahahahaha!"

The crusaders let out a childish screams as Rainbow Dash continued to maniacally laugh. Each of the crusaders urgently latched on to their guardians who were sitting on the campfire logs. This time, Scootaloo was willing to go to Rainbow for a hug.

"See? You're a tough little filly, squirt. There's nothing to be afraid of!" she said to her idolizer.

"But, what's so tough about being so scared that I grab onto your coat?" Scootaloo said.

"Well, at least it's better than having those nightmares like last time!"

"Yeah, I guess so..." Rainbow Dash nodded. With her wing, she made Scootaloo move closer to her.

"Remember Scoots, I will always be by your side, and you can come under my wing whenever you want to. So, never be afraid to come to me for help. Besides, I'm like your big sister now, right?"

"Yes... big sister!" Scootaloo said as she hugged her guardian tighter.

"Now, does anypony want to hear another story? I have a ton of them!" Rainbow Dash said to the ponies.

"I think that's already enough storytellin' for today. We don't want our fillies to become jumping jitterbugs after this trip." Applejack said.

"Besides, Rainbow's stories seem to get scarier every year." Applebloom added.

"But, isn't it fun to be scared, though? Pinkie Pie said that!" Sweetie Belle claimed.

"Sweetie, Pinkie Pie has her own approach on certain things. She is Pinkie Pie, after all." Rarity said to her sister.

"Oh, okay. If you say so." Sweetie Belle said.

"Yep, sure indeed. So, how about we go with the 'It's just a legend' undertake? After all, this here 'Slendermane' is just an old ponies' tale. Just like the tale of the 'Shadow Pony' and some other mumbo jumbo." Applejack said as everypony nodded at her statement. Suddenly, a gust of wind swept on the group of ponies and gave them all a chill on the fur coats. The campfire that was in the center of the placed logs was also starting to dim.

"Wow, it's getting pretty cold!" Sweetie Belle said as she rubbed her forearms with her hooves in an attempt to stay warm.

"It is fall, Sweetie Belle." Applebloom replied. Out of the small cart of other belongings that the group of ponies brought to this campsite, Scootaloo reached in and fetched her blue scooter and purple helmet. For a split second, she saw a towering figure in the forest. What was that? Hm, probably my imagination, Scootaloo thought. She then raised one of her hooves and grabbed everypony's attention.

"You all don't have to worry, I'll bring the firewood!" Scootaloo said as she spotted Rainbow Dash giving her a worried look.

"Don't you think that somepony should come with you?" she asked.

"Nah, I'll be fine. Besides, I won't be gone for a while!" Rainbow sighed.

"Scootaloo, you're going into the Everfree Forest for Celestia's sake. Nevermind about what I asked, I'm coming with you anyways," Rainbow Dash walked over to where Scootaloo was standing. But, she was stopped by her admirer's hoof in front of her face. Scootaloo shook her head.

"Rainbow, I said that I'm fine. I'll be going now,"

"Squirt, wait!" Rainbow Dash didn't get to finish her sentence when she heard the batting wings and the whistling blow of the wind. Just be careful...