• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 363 Views, 4 Comments

The Ponyville Incident - grahmcracker



Gray Wing recently retired from The equestrian weather Bureau and plans to live out the rest of his life in Ponyville with his niece. That all changes when a lowly antique dealer is murdered.

  • ...
 4
 363

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The following few weeks were uneventful for Gray Wing. He spent most of his days walking around ponyville, reading, or visiting Granny Smith. It was the day before Lyra’s concert in Canterlot so Gray Wing made his way to the carrousel shaped building. As he walked into the building the bell above the door gave a soft delicate ring. From the back of the store came a white elegant pony with a stylish mane. “Welcome to carrousel boutique where everything is chique, unique, and mangifique. My name is Rarity, how can I help you.” She asked.

“Ah, yes I was hoping you could take out this vest for me a little bit,” Gray Wing said laying a plain black vest down on a nearby counter. “It seemed to have shrunk over the years.” Gray Wing joked.

“Of course my dear. Now could you come stand over here for me?” Rarity asked referring to a small round platform in the center of her shop. Gray Wing walked up on to the platform while Rarity magically grabbed a tape measure and a pair of red half-moon glasses. She set the glasses on the bridge of her nose while the tape measure wrapped around Gray Wing’s midsection. “Just relax dear while I take you’re measurements. So what’s the occasion?” Rarity asked while reading the tape measure.

“I’m going to a concert in canterlot tomorrow. My niece is going to be performing her first solo.” Gray Wing said proudly.

“Canterlot! Well I can’t let you go to Canterlot in this old thing.” Rarity said unwrapping the tape measure from around his stomach. “I will make you a new vest, perhaps a dark purple and black striped, maybe pinstriped.” She said walking over to shelf holding several rolls of different colored cloth.

Gray Wing stepped down from the platform and picked up his old vest. “Please that’s not necessary.” He said.

“Oh nonsense, it would be nothing really.” She said magically picking up a needle and thread.

“No, really I just need you to let this out a bit.” Gray Wing said a bit more forcefully.

“Please it would be my pleasure.” Rarity said without noticing Gray Wings tone.

“Rarity!” Gray Wing said sternly. Saying her name seemed to have gotten her attention. “Please, could you just do what I ask?” He said holding out his vest.

Rarity took his vest and said “yes, but wouldn't you like a new vest?”

“It’s not that, it just this vest is very important to me.” He said.

“I see, not to worry my dear, I will take care of this in a jiffy.” A few minute later rarity gave the vest back to Gray Wing who put in on. “So how does it feel?” Rarity asked.

“Perfect. Thank you, how much do I owe you?” Gray Wing asked.

“oh please, it on the house, but I would like to make on minor change if you wouldn't mind.” Rarity said. Her horn started to glow and from the window box she magically plucked a small purple flower and pinned it to the pocket of the vest. “there, I do say you look quite dashing.” She said.

“Thank you so much Miss Rarity, this was very generous of you.” Gray Wing said taking off the vest and carefully putting it in his bag.

“Oh of course my dear, it’s what I do.” Rarity said.

Gray Wing left the shop leaving a few bits on the counter without Rarity noticing and headed back to Bon-Bon’s shop. When he entered he could hear Lyra practicing upstairs. Her soft gentle notes radiated through the tiny shop.

“She’s really good isn't she?” Gray Wing said out loud.

“The best!” Bon-bon said as she sat behind the counter.

“Has she been playing all day?” Gray Wing asked.

“Hasn't stopped since this morning.”

“How has she been?”

“She’s a little nervous, but that’s to be expected. She is performing for the princess after all.

"How do you feel about all this?”

“I’m happy for her. She’s moving up in the world, and finally gaining some attention.”

“She always been a talented little filly.” Gray Wing said, a small smiled stretched across her face. “ I remember her first recital, she blew away all the other foals away.”

“So you coming to the concert then?” asked Bon-Bon.

“Of course!” Exclaimed Gray Wing. “Wouldn’t miss it for the world.”
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A Day later Gray Wing stood at the entrance of the Concert hall. Many regal ponies walked through the concert doors as Gray Wing waited in line. His ticket safely tucked away in his breast pocket. Many noble ponies walked past him into the concert hall until he reached the front doors. He showed his ticket to the usher pony who pointed him towards the left stage sitting area.
Gray Wing eventualy found his seat in the fourth row, third seat in. he looked around the hall and saw Bon-Bon not but a row forward a few seats towards center stage.

It was less than ten minutes that Gray Wing was sitting that the Conductor of the symphony walked on to the stage. He lifted his baton and the first notes of the symphony began. The first notes were loud and proud, then became more gentle and long. It was about half an hour into the symphony that Lyra began to play her solo part. The notes were sweet and sad. Her singular harp sent chills down Gray Wing’s spines as it played. Gray Wing could see that he was not the only one effected by Lyra’s sad sweet noted, as many ponies in the crowd stiffened during her solo, when she played the last of her soft, and delicate notes, Gray Wing couldn’t help but stand and stomp his hooves on the floor. He was soon followed by several members of the audience. Whistles and cheers were thrown towards the stage as Lyra stood up and curtsied towards the crowd.

It was about another hour till the concert ended. Several of the noble pony families conversed with the conductor and producers of the concert. Bon-Bon and Gray Wing showed up, Bon-Bon hugged Lyra with a ferocity of one who couldn’t be prouder. “You were amazing!” She said with tears in her eyes.

“Are you sure, I think I cut in a little early,” Lyra said.

“You were exceptional.” Gray Wing said as he stood being Bon-Bon.

“Oh I hope so!” Lyra said meekly.

“There she is, my first string daughter.” Said a loud booming voice from behind Gray Wing.


He turned and came face to face with a dull green Stallion.

The green stallion stopped when he came face to face with Gray Wing.

“Gray!” the green stallion said with surprise.

“Ballad,” Gray Wing said with a flat tone. “How have you been?” he asked trying to sound uninterested as possible.

“I’m fine. I wasn’t expecting to see you here.” He said.

“Really, im surprised Lyra didn’t tell you that I was living in ponyville with her.”

“She must have forgotten to mention it.”

“So how is it conducting these days?”

“It’s going well, im going to be conducting an original piece for the princess later this year.”

“I’m glad to hear that, how is mother these days?” Gray Wing asked.

“Shes doing just fine. She wishes you would call on her more. Hows measuring the snow fall this year?” Ballad asked.

“I’m retired now, if you would excuse me, I would like to catch some fresh air.” Gray Wing said walking towards the exit. He sat down on the nearest bench and took a deep breath feeling the cooled night air fill his lungs. He exhaled counting to 10. It was something he heard his old supervisor use to say say. “Count to ten when you are tense. One, two, three…”

He sat in the calmness of the night, he could smell the wisps of tobacco smoke from a couple nearby. Sighing he looked towards the light polluted sky. “Hello Gray Wing.” Said a delicate voice.

Gray Wing slowly turned around to see a beautiful white mare in a black dress standing behind him.

“”You!” he said feeling his heart beat become erratic.

“Long time no see Gray Wing, you look so old.” She said.

“You look the same.” Gray wing said looking around the bench for some sort of weapon. Nearby he saw a large stone which could easily bash in her skull.

The beautiful mare saw gray Wing looking at the stone. ‘Now Gray wing you’re not thinking of hurting me are you, cause look around.” Gray wing looked around and saw all of the guards in their golden armor. “All I have to do is scream and they will be on you like a Dragon on gold. But how about a nice civil chat instead.” She sat down on the bench next to Gray Wing. “How have you been?” she asked.

“What are you doing here?” Gray Wing asked.

“Always so serious.” She said pouting. “I am here to give you a warning. One Warning, give up, you can’t beat us this time.” She said.

“So it was you that killed that shop owner?” Gray Wing asked.

“Oh, yes,” admitted Narcissa. “Well, I didn't kill him directly, that was one of my followers.”

“One of your followers?” Gray Wing asked.

“Why yes, what you thought I just hid in a hole after what happened last time. My dear Gray Wing I spent my last thirty years building connections, and acquiring favors. What about you? Traveling around Equestria, talking to that Crazy professor and that senile farmer.” She said smiling as she smoothed out a fold in her dress. “You can’t stop us this time.”

“Your previous master didn't think we could stop him too. Where is he now?” Gray Wing asked. “Oh that’s right, the last time I saw him he was being ripped apart by a Hydra after I broke his legs and left him to die in a swap.” Gray Wing said proudly.

This didn't seem to upset her. “I’m not cherry and you are not so young anymore. I know about your little heart condition. So do the smart thing Gray Wing and take your pills and live out the short remain of your life with your niece.” She said standing up.

“Uncle Gray Wing!” Lyra heard his niece shout behind him. He turned around to see Lyra wearing a black Bow tie closely followed by Bon-Bon. “OH so you finally surprised him huh.” She said.

“Why yes I have.” Narcissa said. “It’s so good to see you two again. Lyra you were wonderful.”

Lyra Blushed. “Why thank you, I’m glad you, liked it.”

“”You all know each other?” Gray Wing asked confused and concerned.

“We met last time you were in Canterlot.” Bon-Bon explained.

“Yeah, glad to see that you to were able to meet.” Said Lyra. “Uncle, the rest of the orchestra is having an after party, why don’t you and Narcissa join us.” Offered Lyra.

“That sounds lovely, but unfortunately I have some business to take care of.” Narcissa said excusing herself.

“Oh , well that’s a shame, how about you Uncle?” Asked Lyra.

“Sounds like fun, but it’s been an eventful day I think I might just head back to my hotel room for the night. You too have fun.” Gray Wing said.

“Well okay, have a good night Uncle. Narcissa it was good to see you again. Lets go Bon-Bon before Octavia gets impatient.” Lyra said leading Bon-Bon away back into the concert hall.

Gray Wing and Narcissa watched them leave. “Well this was fun Gray Wing, lets not wait another thirty years to see each other.” She started walking away. Taking a few steps before turning back around. “Remember what I said Gray Wing and you might just live long enough to die peacefully.” She said before disappearing in a white flash.

Gray Wing released the breath he didn’t even know he was holding. He could still feel his heart beating without rhythm. He took a deep breath and pulled out the pill bottle from the inside pocket of his vest. He unscrewed the cap and shook out a single pill. Popping it into his mouth and swallowed it dry. He sat on the bench feeling the slight night breeze brush his face as he felt his heart beat become more regular.

When he was ready he got up from the bench and walked to the side walk and hailed a cab. He got in the taxi and said. “Canterlot mental Asylum, and hurry.” Gray Wing said.

“That’s a long ride chief, and it’s pretty late.” The cabbie said.

Gray Wing fished out a hoof full of gold bits and showed them to the cabbie. “I will give you this plus whatever the fare is if you get me to where I want to go quickly.”

Gray Wing swore he saw dollar signs in the cabbies eyes. “Sure thing boss.” The cabbie said as he started to run.

It was about ten minutes before the cabbie asked. “So…why do….you want to go…to the loony bin so late.” He asked breathing heavily.

“I have a friend I need to see.” Gray wing said.

“This late?....They probably…don’t have midnight….visiting hour.” The cabbie said.

“It’s very important.” Gray Wing said.

“You’re not crazy are you?”

“No.” Gray Wing said.

“Huh… that’s what…crazy person would….say. Sweet Celestia… things are getting weird around here.” The cabbie said between breaths.

“What do you mean?” Gray Wing asked suddenly curious.

“yeah man… whole bunch of weird stuff….is happening around Canterlot….Break ins, apparently….someone broke into the hospital…and stole a bunch of organs and blood…used for transfusions and stuff. And my aunt’s…herbology store got robbed….thief stole all her money…. And a bunch of herbs and junk. Must…be the full moon or something.” The Cabbie explained.

“Full moon? What do you mean?” Gray Wing asked.

“Ya know…. When the moon…. When it gets full…. They say it causes ponies to go crazy.”

“Is that so?” Gray Wing said looking towards the sky the moon was full and bright. “It’s something much worse than the moon.” Gray Wing said under his breath.

“what….Was that?” the cabbie asked.

“Oh nothing, just thinking out loud.” Gray Wing said.
The cab soon rolled in-front of the hos[ital. Gray wing hoped out of the cag tossing the small bag to the driver. “Keep the meter running.” Gray Wing said.

Gray Wing ran into the hospital. A tired looking nurse was sitting at the front desk listening to the radio. She didn’t seem aware of Gray Wing until he said.” I’m here for dusty.”

The nurse looked up at Gray Wing and looked at the clock. “ Visiting hours are between Ten A.M. to Four P.M. you will have to come back tomorrow.” She said irritably as she went back to listening to the radio.

“I’m not here to see Dusty. I’m here to get him out of here,” Gray Wing said. “Now I will sign whatever forms I need to.”

“Sir it is eleven at Night.” She said putting extra emphasis on the word “night”. You will just have to wait until tomorrow, and talk to his primary doctor.” She said.

“No time,” Gary Wing said raising his voice. “I’m here to take Dusty away.”

From behind the desk a door was pushed open by Doctor ID. “Nurse what is happening.” He asked but stopped when he saw Gray Wing. “Mister Gray Wing what are you doing here?” he asked.

“I’m here to get Dusty, and I won’t take no or comeback later as an answer.” Gray Wing said.

“I’m sorry Doctor, should I get security?” the nurse asked.

“That won’t be necessary nurse. I will see Mister Gray Wing.” He said as he pushed the door open wider. “Please follow me.” Gray Wing walked past the Doctor and headed down the hall. “Is everything alright Gray Wing?” The Doctor asked.

“Something came up that involves both Dusty and Myself.” Gray Wing said as he walked down the hall at a fast pace the Doctor was having difficulty keeping up with Gray Wings pace and not go into a trot. Gray Wing stopped and looked around at all of the room numbers. “Which room is Dusty’s” Gray Wing asked.

The Doctor led Gray Wing down about another ten door till they stopped in front of Dust’s room. “This is highly Irregular Mister Gray Wing, are in trouble, is there any way I can help?” The Doctor asked Concerned.

“Yes you can Doctor, you can open that door and let me get Dusty out of here.”

The Doctor unlocked the door and pushed it open. Gray Wing pushed past the Doctor and saw Dusty sleeping on the bed. Dusty slowly opened his eyes. “Huh what, what’s going on?” Dusty asked still half asleep.

“Grab your stuff Dusty, we have work to do.” Gray Wing said.

“Huh, Gray?” Dusty asked groggily. Then it seem his brain caught up with what was happening and he was suddenly awake. “Well about time.” he said jumping out of bed and reached under his bed and pulled out a suitcase and threw it on his back. “All set, let’s go.” He said.
The three went back to the Doctors office and signed all of the proper paper work and left the Hospital. Climbing into the Cab Gray Wing told the cabbie to head to the train station. “So I was right then.” Dusty said.
“Yeah you were right.” Gray Wing said quietly.

“So what’s the plan then?” Dusty asked.

“First we are going to go see smithy and then…” he stopped and looked at the cabbie who was breathing heavily. Gray Wing hushed down to a whisper. “Then we are going to find out what she is planning.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It was about an hour after dawn when Gray Wing pounded on the doors to sweet apple acres. Big Mac opened the door. “Hello Big Mac, I know it’s early but we need to see Granny Smith. It’s really important.” Gray Wing said. Big Mac led them into the living room and went to fetch Granny. Dusty sat down in a rocking chair while Gray Wing paced the room.

A minute later Granny walked in to the room. “What in tarnation are ya banging on my door so early in the morning for…?” She stopped when she saw Dusty.

“Hi Smithy!” Dusty said giving her a little wave.

“Gray what in the hay is going on?” She asked her voice quivering.

“Yes what is going on? He wouldn’t tell me anything on the entire train ride down here.” Dusty said to Smithy.

“I wanted to wait until we were someplace safe.” Gray Said. “So I saw her last night.” Gray Wing then told the story about how Narcissa had surprised him.

Granny Smith sat on a sofa thinking. “So what’s the plan then.” She asked in her country drawl.

“We need it.” Gray Wing said. He turn to see Dusty sitting curled up and rocking back and forth. “I’m sorry dusty.”

He chuckled. “Well that’s what I get for being right huh.” Dusty suddenly stopped rocking and uncurled himself and stood up. “Fine, let’s get it.” He said.

Granny smith led Gray and Dusty outside to the root cellar. Granny had Gray open the heavy wooden doors as she lit a lantern. She led them down the small flight of stairs followed by Dusty then Gray who shut the doors behind him leaving the flickering glow of the lantern to light the cramp area. “So where did you put it?” Gray Wing asked.

Granny hung the lantern on a hook in the ceiling. “Here.” She said marking an X with her hoof directly under the lantern. Gray Wing grabbed a shovel from the corner and began to dig. The earth was hard and compact. About two hours later and a foot deep Gray Wing hit something solid. He brushed away the remaining soil with his hoof to reveal a rusting metal box. He dragged it out of the hole and laid it hear the steps to the outside. The box was locked by a large heavy padlock. Granny produced a small key from beneath her shall and put the key into the lock and gave it a quarter turn. The lock opened and fell to the earth with a heavy thump. Gray Wing opened the lid of the metal box while Dusty sat on the far side of the room.

Gray Wing pulled out a massive book from the box. The cover was made out of leather from several pony hides all of different colors. Gray Wing carried the book to Dusty and laid it on the floor before him. He mumbled. “the Necronomicon, I thought I’d never have to see it again.” Gray Wing opened the front cover of the book and looked at Dusty sadly.

“You know what to do.” Gray Wing said. Dusty just nodded and pulled the book towards him and began to read the book his lips moving as he tried to pronounce the strange and archaic words.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The moon was shining through the large windows of Doctor Id’s windows as he watched the cab carrying away Gray and Dusty disappear from sight. He magically poured himself a drink of dark brown liquid and took a deep sip. “So I did what you asked. What is you plan here?” the Doctor asked tuning around to see Narcissa sitting on his desk.

“That crook of a shop keep gave me only half of the book.” She said scooting of the desk and taking the Doctors drink in her own magic. As she brought it to her lips she said. “I know they have a whole copy. They will bring it to me and I will complete the spell.” She took a small and delicate sip of the liquid. “My dear doctor I didn’t take you for a brandy stallion, I pegged you as a scotch fancier.”

“I hope you know what you are doing Narcissa.” The Doctor said.

“Oh it’s not my plan, it’s the masters.” She said as she downed the rest of the glass.