• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 376 Views, 1 Comments

A New Home - Nightdasher1



The Starship SS Nova is sent to seek out a new home and a new future for it's race, the Lunestians. It so happens to stumble upon a seemingly perfect world called Equis but things don't go necessarily as planned.

  • ...
 1
 376

Another day another...Alien?

Another Day Another...Alien?

...Adjusting Delta-v to sixty-five, engaging orbital engines, primary thrusters disabled...
_____________________________________________________________________

Twilight looked down at her book of Star Swirl the Bearded. It had been a long day, and the sun had gone down almost two hours ago. She glanced up from her sitting position on her bed at the small sleeping dragon tucked away in his little bed. The small rising and falling from the cover over his head showed Twilight he was fast asleep. Twilight smiled slightly, her umber one assistant had always done so much for her, and she treated him as her own sun. Twilight glanced out the window at the full moon, the stars twinkling around it.

Twilight stood up from her bed, and walked down to the main library, placing the book back on it's rightful shelf. The orange low from the candelabra on the center table threw shadows all across the walls. She made her way to the front door, stepping out into the crisp night air, the smell of fall hung in the air, along with a few orange leaves upon the ground. Twilight stepped off her doorstep, going for a small stroll during the night hours. The golden and orange leaves crunched lightly under her hooves, the lights from a few nearby houses giving the street a yellowish glow. The street lamps above her head flickered slightly, as a small wind blew by, stirring up some of the leaves. Twilight waved at a few other ponies who were either coming home from some where, or just out on a walk. She turned toward Sugar Cube Corner, and frowned internally when she saw the "Sorry! We're closed." sign hanging from the door. She had forgotten how late it was, almost 10:00 PM.

"Oh well" Twilight said to herself, making her way back towards the library. She glanced up at the beautiful starry night sky, the stars twinkling back at her. As she made her way back, she noticed some of the lights in the windows of houses had gone dark, and the streetlamps were the only thing giving her illumination. She had the route back to her library mapped out in her head, but it was rare she was up and out this late.

Twilight stepped to her door, pushing it open to find the candelabra still flickering. She stepped up onto the table, blowing out each candle one by one, until the only light were her window from upstairs, the blue moonlight streaming in. Twilight stretched her wings, and yawned slightly as she made her way up the steps. Twilight tucked herself into her bed, whispering a soft "Goodnight Spike," as she did.

________________________________________________________________________
...Approaching desirable entry speed, plotting orbit, adjusting vector...
________________________________________________________________________

Celestia looked up towards the starry night sky, standing upon the balcony into her bed chambers. A falling star here or there, but nothing alarming. She stepped back into her bedroom, the candle light giving off a yellow-orange glow. She sat at her fireplace on the cushions around it. She dipped her quill into the inkwell and began writing her letter to the Germane ambassador, who was expected to arrive within the week.

Celestia let her thoughts wander, from her royal duties, to her trip to Ponyville she had planned. "I wonder if I should bring Luna along with me," she wondered, "it's been a while since she came along for a visit to the town.."

________________________________________________________________________
...Landing zone marked, Planetary Exploration Vehicle is en route, ETA four minutes...
________________________________________________________________________

Nightdasher looked down at the planet below, the trees, green pastures, and seemingly untouched by civilization. It was a sight to behold, but he was aware they weren't just going for the view, but more to hope the planet itself could sustain life. Him and the team of biologists and botanists were told it was believed to be inhabited, and the atmosphere was capable of holding oxygen.

"Falcon One to Torchlight, we're two minutes to the drop zone, ready yourselves." The radio on Nightdasher's headset relayed.

"Affirmative," He replied to the little microphone. "Listen up back there! Strap yourselves in, we land in two minutes!" He called back to the six passengers. He looked at the two joysticks in front of him, placing both his hooves on them. One to control speed, one to control direction. Nightdasher inhaled, then slowly exhaled, calming himself. If there was one thing he had learned, driving a near seventy-two ton vehicle and being anxious and shaky did not mix at all. The two joysticks were hair trigger sensitive, the slightest movement would cause it to shift in some direction or another. He brought down his visor, the Heads Up Display on it telling him their elevation, the speed, and which way they were facing.

"One minute." The transport radioed down to him. Nightdasher wasn't one for flying, especially when he wasn't the one doing it.

"Copy." He replied, looking back to see the two rows of chairs along the wall, each passenger secured to their seats. The craft rumbled slightly as they breached the cloud layer, giving Nightdasher a bird's eye view of the area below. It was nighttime, but the visor's night vision made no problem of that. He could see the rolling green hills, a forest, and what looked like to be a few birds flying about. The ground slowly drew closer as it raced past underneath them, approaching the landing zone, which Nightdasher just realized seemed to be a clearing in the middle of a forest.

"Falcon One to Nova, the LZ is in sight, Torchlight awaiting drop clearance."

"Reading you five-by-five, Torchlight is green to go."

The aircraft slowed dramatically, and slowly descended towards the clearing. Nightdasher braced himself against his seat, shutting his eyes and scrunching up his face.

"Brace yourself Torchlight, releasing clamps in three...two...one, drop."

Nightdasher felt them drop, hearing the clanking of the magnetic clamps give way, before hitting the ground with a solid "thud," bouncing slightly from the six-tread suspension.

"And we're down.." Nightdasher said to himself, relaxing a little.

"Falcon One to Torchlight we're returning to the Nova."

"See you in three weeks! Enjoy your vacation!" A different voice called from the aircraft. Nightdasher watched it soar back up into the sky, flying significantly faster without the tank-like vehicle strapped to it's underside.

He unlatched himself and walked back to the six scientists, each one waiting eagerly by the ramp at the back. Nightdasher hit the button as it lowered, forming an access ramp to the soft, grassy land underneath. A gust of air rushed in, with a slight chill in it. The six quickly barreled out, each one looking at different things among the clearing, from snapping pictures of the trees, and collecting samples of the grass and such. The two floodlights on the front mixed with the two red warning lights on the back provided more than enough illumination of the clearing. He flipped his visor back up to the top of his headset before taking it off, admiring this strange new planet. The air was crisp and clean, despite the smell of metal from the twenty-six foot long exploration vehicle behind him. The huge trees surrounded them, and he could help but feel a slight bit anxious as to what might be just past the tree line. It was unnaturally dark inside the forest itself, and he could only see silhouettes of what seemed to go on for decades.

Nightdasher walked towards a bush, rustling it slightly. They were definitely alone out here, but he had this creeping feeling they were being watched by some unseen force...
_____________________________________________________________________

Celestia looked up from her letter, and made her way to the balcony once again. She knew something was out there, and her eyes quickly locked onto what appeared to be some object flying object, and it was moving fast. It looked like a balloon, but it was moving far to fast to be one. There were four leg-like appendages coming from it's sides, which connected to what looked like a huge gray cockroach, with three black triangular chains going down it's sides.

Celestia raced to the door of her bed chambers, and galloped down to her sister's door, opening it suddenly.

"Luna! Wake up!" She exclaimed, rushing to Luna's balcony.

"Wha-?" Luna muttered, sitting up fro the top her bed sheets, shaking her head slightly.

Celestia opened the door, and quickly found the strange object. Luna groggily walked over, before her eyes went wide with astonishment. The object was making considerable progress, almost over the Everfree Forest.

"What..is that?" Luna asked, craning her neck and squinting to try and see it better.

Celestia turned back and called for the guards. In nearly an instant, two stallions in golden rushed in.

"Yes your highness?" One of them queried.

"Wake up the Royal Guard and tell them to go as fast as possible to the Everfree forest. Tell them an unidentified object has been sighted over it, and it is not of Equestria."

"At once your highness!" The stallion replied before the two both galloped out of the bed chambers and down the hall.

Celestia did not know what to expect from this strange craft, but she did know it could be either friend or foe. If it were the latter, she feared deep inside her there would be few options as how to deal with this...alien.

Author's Note:

Hope you can enjoy, I really had fun making this chapter. I'll try making this as long as people enjoy this. :)
I don't how to end chapters very well, sorry.
Yes, I did make the pilot of the exploration vehicle my "OC".