• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 931 Views, 47 Comments

Of Tricks And Treats - Starlight Shadow



Thirty-one Halloween-related (or Nightmare Night, whatever floats your boat) vignettes.

  • ...
5
 47
 931

Great And Mythical

I sat on the branches of an apple tree beginning to shed its leaves and watched Ponyville come alive for Nightmare Night. I can't be the only one who finds it hilarious that the dying leaves are heralded as being gorgeous for their warm colors. Though I suppose I'd like to be gorgeous in death.

I need no costume, my new form is quite enough. I spread my blue bat-like wings and took off, the twisted brown branch I was sitting on coming close to snapping. I see a little foal dressed as a vampire. I can only imagine their parents' reaction to this costume choice. Aaaw, how cute. She wants to dress up as a dark seductress who sucks every drop of blood from the bodies of ponies on a daily basis.

That was an activity I had partaken in quite a bit since my transformation. It wasn't so bad once you got over the remorse. And I only did sick or elderly ponies. The subsequent dying was a relief for them. What, did you think I lost my morals? I had bent quite a few, but they were still intact. Mostly.

I made a hairpin turn around a cottage near the outskirts, ruffling the manes of a few ponies headed towards the center of town. Then a corkscrew turn up up up - yes, now I was backlit by the moon. Give it a second and ponies would see me. Then the showmare's performance could begin.

I can't really remember much of what happened after I began to fiddle with that one tome I found in a used-book store. I saw that it was a spellbook, decided to buy it and teach myself a few new tricks for when I went back on the circuit, and then I just had this wonderful idea. What better way to become famous than to be in a myth? Better yet, to be in a ghost story? I just had to twist my form enough so it became memorable in the worst way. Then get myself noticed, and eventually ponies would tell their friends, tell stories. Stories about none other than moi, the Great and Powerful Trixie. I would become immortalized in legend.

Yes, now ponies were starting to point. Look up there, they were saying, look up there at the blue unicorn with tattered socks and the wings of some great bat. I bared my fangs in a smile, diving downward toward the ground at a blinding rate. Now going toward the center of town, I glided swiftly just a few feet over the heads of the trick-or-treating ponies, one of my wings accidentally hooking some poor filly's witch hat. Then gliding in an elegant aileron roll to the top of the Town Hall, where I perched, placing the hat atop my head as if my theft was on purpose.

Everypony was looking at me, this unicorn mare with bat wings and red eyes. Oh yes, the red eyes were my very favorite, and I lit my horn to wash a supersensory wave over everypony in the square so they could get a good look at my lovely red eyes.

Murmurs formed a unison hum as ponies wondered who or what I was, and why exactly I was here. Eventually, a tan earth pony strode to the front of the crowd. Dressed as a clown, how remarkably fitting. "Excuse me, but could you please get down from there?"

I nodded, which seemed to relax her. Then I opened my mouth wide in a hiss, no doubt startling her enough to turn her knees to water. I chuckled, then flew off, my work done. They wouldn't be seeing the last of me.

My other visits would have to follow some kind of pattern. And there would have to be some deaths. That tan mare seemed to be a good choice for my first one. The last night of every month sounded good for return visits. There could be changes made as necessary, but for now I touched down behind the Town Hall and found a place to hide.

Author's Note:

And it appears we've taken a dark turn.