• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 2,996 Views, 43 Comments

On the Road to Canterlot - Knight of Lycaeus



In a fit of desperation Chrysalis surrenders to Twilight, what happens now?

  • ...
4
 43
 2,996

Part VII: Question of Motives

Part VII: Question of Motives


Today had been a productive day; Chrysalis and I actually having time to discuss the last two weeks. Never could I have imagined — thought that Chrysalis would willingly surrender or that she would approach my Court to do so.

Today had been a relaxing day, no disasters or crazy monsters out to destroy Ponyville. Even after living here for some years now the craziness never stops and still gets to me at times. I’ve noticed Chrysalis was having a similar problem to when I first arrived here. And it wasn’t helped by Discord’s constant ministrations… Although I’m glad he’s not causing too much chaos. Some chaos, but it’s manageable and certainly reversible.

Today had been relaxing until a rainbow blur shot through my window. Again. Then said rainbow blur launched herself at Chrysalis. Or rather, it seemed like that until a bright flash blinded us momentarily.

I blinked when I saw Rainbow Dash bound up and lying on the ground before us. She was being constrained by what appeared to be a cocoon, shining in a rainbow of colours. But before I could speak on the matter, I was interrupted.

“Cut!” yelled a mini Discord who climbed up from Rainbow’s back. He was wearing protective gear complete with helmet. To me it looked like he just rode in on Rainbow’s back, somehow…

Discord then casually removed the helmet and gear with a snap, now looking like a villain that Spike would have most definitely described sleazy. This was understandable given his top hat, flowing cape, and pencil mustache. “Nope! All wrong.” A quick snap of his talon and Rainbow Dash was now bound in yarn and candy; again, coloured like that of a rainbow. I saw Discord raise a clapperboard and snapped it. “Action!” he announced.

I could see Chrysalis from the corner of my eye and I could tell she was likely close to snapping. Sighing, I turned to the mini Discord whom looked quite pleased with himself right about now. “Discord, was binding her really necessary?” I asked, rolling my eyes. “Also, were those actual cocoons?”

Discord placed his talon and paw over his heart as if he were acting out a dramatic death scene in a play.“Actual cocoons? Never! As for our friend Rainbow Dash here, I would say yes.” His expression became thoughtful, or what looked to be thoughtful. By Discord’s standards, anyways. Though this look could have been that of a scheming nature — it’s hard to tell. “Perhaps her Element is ‘Fire’ and not Loyalty. But in any case, binding her up like a cocooned insect was important.” Discord’s toothy grin then broke through the questionable expression he was flashing. “Now you three can have your all important ‘friendship talk’.”

I —”

With my mouth agape, Discord shifted his form, changing into a blue spider. Said blue spider proceeded to shoot off a web which connected to the window in which Rainbow had crashed in through. “This has been your friendly neighbourhood Discord. Ta-ta!” And with that he grabbed the string of spider web within the prickly grasp of one of his legs, and swung out the window.

I shook my head and turned to see that Chrysalis was still having some issues over Discord’s appearance. Quickly I grabbed her attention before we both turned to face Rainbow Dash, who was trying unsuccessfully to escape her bonds.

“Rainbow Dash…?” I began, hoping I could help ease the hostile and reluctant duo into actually talking this out. “This is Discord’s handiwork. I doubt you’re leaving here anytime soon until we finish.”

Rainbow grunted exasperatedly. “Twilight, can’t you use magic or something to get it off?”

I tapped my chin with the tip of my hoof whilst in thought. “Probably. Although I doubt it’s that easy, knowing Discord. I think Discord is right though, talking might be the only way out.” I nudged Chrysalis gently, “So could we start?”

Chrysalis snorted rather loudly. “What is there to talk about? She’s been ever so hostile since the beginning.”

“Chrysalis,” I said in a warning tone, “could we at least try? I would rather not have Rainbow bound here all day. Especially since Discord managed to bind her wings.”

“That thing tricked us!” Rainbow yelled out as she tried again to escape her binds once more. “Why should we trust her?!”

“That thing, as you called her, has a name. It is Chrysalis, leader of a Changeling Hive…” A paused for a moment, in an attempt to allow my words sink in just a little bit. “Have you ever thought that you two might share something in common?”

My ears flattened as they both started shouting at each other — at me. This day was going so well, I should have known something like this would happen. I raised a hoof, silently asking but also hoping for silence.

“I know Chrysalis tricked you, and many others, but she has a duty to her Hive. From what I have learned, Changelings in the Hive need to work together. Without bonds between them the Hive would fall apart.”

“It’s true…” Chrysalis said, looking towards the ground beneath her ebony flank. “Without us working together —” I could tell she was still reluctant to the whole thing — “without the Hive working together, we couldn’t survive.”

“So what does this have to do with your stupid invasion?” Rainbow growled out, still not happy with the situation.

Chrysalis sighed. “My Hive lives on the fringe of society; there are few settlements near us, and certainly not enough to sustain us for long.” Chrysalis growled. “Hives like mine are rarely large in numbers. This likely stopped me from asserting myself above the rest of the Collective.” Chrysalis then turned her head up to look at Rainbow. “From what Twilight has told me you would do anything for your friends. Is this correct?”

“Yes,” Rainbow answered, not certain where Chrysalis was going.

“Then understand this: I would do anything to ensure our survival, even if it meant using underhanded tactics — anything to gain the advantage. I protect and lead them just as they protect and work for me.”

Rainbow glared at Chrysalis for a short while before doing something I never really would have expected to see. Rainbow sighed. It wasn’t just a short, insignificant sigh, either. It was a sigh of acceptance — defeat. “Fine,” she said. “Twilight over there is right. We would both do anything to protect those we care about.”

I blinked. “Wait… Since when does Rainbow Dash, Equestria’s fastest flier, and future Wonderbolt admit defeat. Especially this easily?”
Rainbow turned her head to look at me now. “Fluttershy... A few days ago I was visiting Fluttershy and she confronted me about my attitude towards Chrysalis. May confront is too strong of a word to use. More like a stern talking.”

I shook my head. Of course Fluttershy, one of Rainbow’s oldest friends, could get through to her in a way that so few ever would. “So what does this mean?”

Rainbow grunted. “I still want to take her down for her stupid invasion, for tricking me to abandon you. Fluttershy said no, and that I should forgive her. Maybe I don't need to start a fight. And maybe what I did just now was stupid. But I’m still not forgiving her.”

Chrysalis nodded, looking towards me for closure. “I think this is about as close as we’ll get.”

I nodded in solemn agreement. I knew getting them to talk was a long shot. Getting them to be friendly was an even larger shot. I’ll settle, however, for civil. Civil is...nice. “So this leaves us where, then?” I asked.

“I’m not sorry for doing what I must, but I’ll take civil,” Chrysalis said.

“Still not forgiving her, but I’ll call a truce for now,” Rainbow seconded.

“I’ll take it as it is now Rainbow, but you should try to forgive her,” I said, pointing at her. “And you should try to make peace with her,” I finished, pointing at Chrysalis.

“Probably won’t happen anytime soon,” Chrysalis said.

“Not likely, Twilight,” Rainbow said.

Another blinding flash and the bonds were gone from Rainbow’s body.

“Finally!” Rainbow yelled, stretching out her rather stiff wings. “Oh, right. Sorry about the window Twilight!” Rainbow shouted as she shot out through the window she had initially broken.

I nudged Chrysalis gently. “I think something relaxing is in order. I’m heading over to Sugarcube Corner, are you coming?”
Chrysalis nodded, smiling all the while. “I might as well check with the Hive.”

Before we could leave, the door slammed open and Spike walked in.