• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 2,996 Views, 43 Comments

On the Road to Canterlot - Knight of Lycaeus



In a fit of desperation Chrysalis surrenders to Twilight, what happens now?

  • ...
4
 43
 2,996

Part IV: Defiance of Knowledge

Part IV: Defiance of Knowledge


The following morning I teleported to Canterlot to inform the other Princesses; however, my timing couldn't have been any worse. I found only Luna, armed with her ethereal weapons, ready to head out.

It was a last minute issue she had informed me of — a potentially dangerous creature was far too close to a remote pony settlement. Celestia was in Baltimare, foreseeing a trade negotiation and couldn't leave before the week was up. Cadance and Shiny were both on a goodwill mission…on the other side of the world. It would be two weeks if not more before we could convene, as it was not deemed a national emergency in light of Chrysalis' surrender and Outcasting from the Collective.

I was promptly assigned Guards to help enforce my decree. I initially refused but Luna persuaded me and I allowed them to patrol around Ponyville, ensuring that no Changelings leave the area. Ten Lunar Guards were joined by ten Solar Guards once Luna had managed to reach Celestia. Said Guards then proceeded to escort me home. Upon reaching my home both the Solar Earth Pony and the Lunar Thestral Captains proceeded to work with me to determine the best way forward.


A few days later I decided to try and introduce Chrysalis to daily activities around Ponyville. I thought it best to begin with my friends, thinking that it would be the easiest and most productive way for her to become accustomed to the town. That being said, I had hoped to start off with Rarity, but, due to a momentary lapse in judgement, had forgotten she was out of town on business; so Applejack it was. I knew that Applejack's acceptance and or tolerance of Chrysalis would go a long way to help ease tension of the other ponies in town.

I led the way to Sweet Apple Acres, Chrysalis lagging slightly behind me, and a pegasus Solar Guard patrolling just above. When we arrived, both Chrysalis and I saw Discord handing a basket overflowing with bright, red delicious apples to Applejack. He noticed us and, with a poof, a miniature version of Discord hovered just between us.

"Fine morning for a visit, is it not?" Discord then snapped his talons, and in another spontaneous poof, was dressed like a school teacher with thick, black glasses. And this was more than fitting, considering that Chrysalis now looked like the most disgruntled student ever. She offered Discord an…. egg — a polka-dotted egg. With another snap they were back to normal, but Chrysalis was still holding the polka-dotted egg. "Eggs. You reference these as new life, correct?” Chrysalis nodded, unknowing of just where this strangely placed conversation was going. “With how many of your kind that are hatch from eggs, it only makes sense." Discord leaned back, "Reborn. Redemption. From the bad that you have birthed in the past; like hatching from an egg." Another snap and he was full-sized again, "Well, I'm off to help Pinkie and Rainbow plant silverware. Ciao!" And with another snap of his magical talons, he was gone. But not before leaving a rather festive-looking garland of eggs and apples on Chrysalis's head.

Discord, reformed or not, he still managed to confuse me at times. Chrysalis, however, looked rather annoyed. Either from Discord or her new headwear or both, I wasn't sure. But if I really had to pick a reason, I was going to have to go with both. Discord definitely took some getting used to.

Chrysalis swiftly threw away her new headwear, while Applejack, who had gone inside to put down the overwhelming and rather mountainous basket of apples, had finally returned once more.

"Mornin', Twi" Applejack said, smiling at me. Her smiled faded slightly when she noticed Chrysalis with me, though. "Mornin' to you as well." This greeting was certainly far less friendly than how she greeted me. But I don’t think Chrysalis really notice.

"Good morning, Applejack." I said, greeting her as an awkward smiling spread across my features.

Chrysalis remained silent, however… I sighed internally. I knew this would be difficult, but I had hoped for a bit more than just tense silence. I reviewed topics to see if anything would catch their interests. And that is when a stroke of genius hit me. "Chrysalis, Applejack, I realize this is quite difficult for all of us but I'm sure you two could surely relate on something..." My awkward smile still wouldn’t leave my face. How fitting.

"And what might that be, Twilight?"

Surprisingly, Chrysalis finally spoke for the first time this whole trip. But not before bearing down on me with a look of an unimpressed nature. "Please, do enlighten us."

Oh Celestia, why did I ever think this would work?

"Family" I said sharply. I looked back to Chrysalis, the awkward smile finally fading, and a look of confidence replacing it. "Chrysalis, you care for your Hive. I saw that when you pleaded for sanctuary, for not just you but the entirety of your hive.” I turned to Applejack now. “And Applejack, the first time I came here, and the many times after that, I am always reminded of how much family means to you."

"The Hive is not a ‘family’," Chrysalis retorted. She sounded sour over the observation.

"It is, in a sense.” I smiled back to her now, an almost manic look about me. “You are their Queen, and it is your eggs that allow the Hive to survive and prosper so. In a sense you are the mother of your Hive."

"Their existence allows the Hive to continue, nothing more," Chrysalis added. It seems that she is firmly set in her stance on the matter.
I shook my head, still disagreeing with her point. "They share a link with you. They know you, just like you know them. They may work for you but you do care for them. And Applejack may not have foals but she cares for her family." I took a deep breath now, knowing I was about to take a dark yet deep plunge. "You invaded Canterlot not for conquest but for food, didn't you?"

Chrysalis growled, "Of course I did! Changeling Hives are named for where they are based. I was in a desert! There were so few other beings around to provide positive emotions to create Nectar for the Hive. I needed food and I was tired that we lived endlessly in the shadows! A chance for me and the Hive to rise above our meagre existence? Of course we took the chance!"

I saw Chrysalis breathing heavily after her tirade. I moved closer to her, to see if I could comfort her, but I was cut short by an orange hoof. Applejack approached Chrysalis, albeit slowly. "Ah understand." She placed a hoof across Chrysalis's back. "Some years are bad, gettin' little for what we till. Hard harvest, hard year. Ah’ve lived 'em."

Chrysalis turned to look Applejack in the eye. There was a spark there. A light that gave me the feeling of hope. "And how did you get through them?" The question sounded genuine, like she actually cared. I think we’re having a breakthrough here!

"Family. The only thin' ya have when every bit o' the harvest is rotten. Family, friends, neighbours. They all help gettin' through the year. They help us an' we help them. We share in the good an' the bad. Met Celestia b'fore, and she likely would have helped. if y'all just ask, that is. Heck, she did the same for mah family; gave us this here land." Applejack swept her hoof across picturesque scene before them all: her family farm. "And the Apples been here ever since."

The two fell silent for some time after. But when the time called for it, Chrysalis was the first to speak. "You're still uncertain about me, are you not?."

Applejack sighed, but continued to look intently towards Chrysalis. "Course. Your lies tricked me to turn mah back on mah family, my friends." She indicated this moreso, pointing towards my distanced position. "Family is more than just your kin. For me, Ah value mah kin and the truth."

"Why?"

"As Ah said before, family be yer only help in bad times. The truth or rather honesty, is an important fact o' life when yer farmin'. Hidin' the truth don’t do much. Acceptin' things as they come, on the other hoof, is and always has been part o' life for me." Applejack removed her hoof from Chrysalis’ back now. "Reckon we all need a little time.” Applejack looked back over towards me and motioned me closer. “Twi, I need to get back to apple bucking.” She then tipped her Stetson to us both as she backed away slowly.

After-the-fact, Applejack headed off towards the barn, leaving both Chrysalis and myself standing on the edge of her immense property. Things had gone far more smoothly than expected, but it seemed Applejack was starting to tolerate Chrysalis just a little bit more.