• Published 21st Sep 2014
  • 415 Views, 18 Comments

The Freaks of Old - PsychoMeerkat



As Twilight starts getting settled into being a princess with her own castle. Crazy events start occuring within Equestria. Who are the Freaks of Old? What do they want? Why are they here?

  • ...
4
 18
 415

Just a normal day.....right?

It has been about 3 days since Tirek was defeated, and Twilight is starting to get used to her duties as the princess of magic. Twilight had just finished signing some petitions and was ready to hit the hay. She had had a long day, first of all, she had to help with the finishing touches of Ponyville's repairs, meaning she missed breakfast, then she had to help Applejack with dealing with a few rogue Timberwolves. Then, to help the royal guard with certain crimes, she learnt a spell that could photographically store an image inside her head, that can later be projected as a three-dimensional hologram so that she can use that as evidence of some kind, and finally, she had to sign hundreds if not THOUSANDS of petitions.

Overall though, the work of rebuilding Ponyville was what had got to her the most. Even after three whole days of work, the humble town was only a maximum of halfway done. And many ponies were left homeless by the damage. Her friends were very helpful, of course. Rarity had been working day and night to make enough blankets for all those who were homeless, Rainbow Dash had been keeping rain away from the homeless shelters and straight towards the farms, Pinkie Pie had been baking non-stop (And I'm not even kidding when I say, NON-STOP) to help with the food shortage, Applejack and her family had been helping with the rebuilding of the town, and Fluttershy had been training her animals to carry food and tools to those who needed them. Even Discord was helping! (In his own special way of course) By cheering up the homeless and, though rare, now orphaned foals by making it rain chocolate milk for them and creating magical toys! Even though she had all this help, she was exhausted and was ready to go to bed right away.

As she got up to go to bed, she was startled by a loud slamming of doors opening. She turned to the main entrance to see one of the guards running desperately, looking very panicked.

"P-princess Twilight, we need your help with something!" he said between pants.

"What's the problem?" she asked, expecting it to just be a building collapsed or something.

"There is a pony outside, nobody knows who he is and he's spurting out strange stories about a...Shrine, of some sorts in the Everfree forest. But that's not all, he has several stab wounds and cuts across his torso, and we believe that something has attacked him!", that was the answer she was expecting the least. Well, besides Discord making it rain anything other than chocolate milk for the foals.

"Where is he now?" she asked, trying to sound as calm as possible, though failing slightly.

"In the town centre, there are nurses and doctors tending to his injuries, your friends are already there." He replied, sweat still streaming down his forehead. He looked horrified.

Twilight ran as fast as she could to the scene of attention, and noticed immediately the large amounts of blood on the floor. She scanned the huge crowd of ponies for the scene of the matter at hand, and immediately knew where she needed to go. She could see atleast ten doctors and nurses gathered around a stallion, who she could hear screaming very cryptic lines. Twilight needed to get to him as fast as she could. She could try flying, she could try teleportation, she could try- "MAKE WAY FOR PRINCESS TWILIGHT" yelled one of the guards, causing Twilight to jump about three feet into the air out of shock, but atleast it worked, as fairly quickly the crowd split in the middle, creating a pathway for Twilight to walk through. At this point, she could see the scene at it's full glory. Blood. A lot of blood. Everywhere, on every surface, on every doctor and nurse. Blood, EVERYWHERE. She quickly trotted up to the bloodied stallion, where she could finally understand some of the words he was saying.

"Princess Twilight, thank you for coming! We need your help with this." Nurse Redheart said, pointing towards the scene of drama.

"How can I help?" asked Twilight, hoping to get a 'not at all' creepy answer.

"He has been screaming about a skeletal ape that stands on it's hind legs, in an opening somewhere in the Everfree forest, apparently guarding a temple of some sorts. He has been screaming for one of the princesses to talk to him." replied Nurse Redheart, sounding even more terrified than some of the foals that were bearing witness to the scene.

Twilight slowly walked up to the stallion who had calmed down a little thanks to some weak sedatives. As Twilight got close, he slowly turned his head to her.

"Y-y-you have come! At last, you can help me!" he said, in a very coarse and panicked tone, that Twilight attempted to counter with a calm and relaxing tone.

"Sir, I need you to stay calm and tell me what has happened. Can you do that?" she asked, putting on a friendly smile, to which the stallion smiled back and nodded slowly, taking a deep breath.

"I was searching in the Everfree forest for some exotic herbs, with two of my friends, when we came to a strange but enormous open field in the middle. There, was where we saw the Temple of the Old." he said just before he started coughing up some blood. "We decided to try and search the temple, hoping to find some long lost treasures...But instead we....we.....we awoke the guardian. He was a giant skeletal ape that could stand on only two legs, and he wore a dark hood padded with golden armour. He wielded a sword made of pure Australium." this caused Twilight to look at him blankly.

"I'm sorry, but what's australium?" she asked, sounding more confused than a dog trying to sing.

"It is a rare metal brought to our world during the war of dimensions! It can cut through the strongest of steels, and right through my friends and me." he replied, rewarding him with a look of complete shock from Twilight.

"Y-your friends are.....dead?" she asked, trying to not sound as shocked as she was.

"Yes, and so will all of Equestria if you let this creature awaken the sleeping Freaks of Old!" everypony in the area gasped in horror as to what he had just said, what and who were 'The Freaks of Old'? And why did he fear them so much?
He started choking up blood, and let out his final words of horror, "Not even Celestia will be able to stop them....GAH!" he said through his dying breath. Now he lay there. Dead.

Twilight ran to her castle as fast as she could, she needed to search her new library for any books about these 'Freaks of Old', but no matter where she searched, there were no books that had ANY information about them. This caused Twilight some panic.

Where else would there be books about them?

Author's Note:

Okay, my first go at a fanfic. And hopefully, it'll actually be readable, and not complete crap. Next chapter will be out as quickly as I can write it between school work and carpentry practices.