• Published 19th Sep 2014
  • 580 Views, 41 Comments

Pathfinder: An Equestrian Tale - Mossbender



Willow Seeker, an Earth pony from White Tail Village, has been cursed. Cursed to die. All because of an unfortunate encounter with a creature not from his world. He has to find the cure... find it before it's too late. The clock is ticking...

  • ...
1
 41
 580

Volt Cloud: Part One

As Willow walked down the street, he couldn't help but feel uncomfortable with his surroundings. Back in White Tail Village they were surrounded by trees that helped to protect them from the elements. Here in Ponyville though he felt exposed because everything was just so... open. He was used to exploring unfamiliar territory, but he always had the trees there to assist him.

"Good morning mister!" a mare called out from a nearby window. Willow turned his head towards the mare to reply but she was already saying the same to others that were passing, and they were doing the same in return.

"That was rather... unexpected. What do you think about this place so far Swiftwing?" he asked. Swiftwing screeched softly in return and Willow nodded. "You're right girl, it is far too early to judge still, but so far this town seems friendly. Let's just hope it stays that way."

Willow continued to make his way down the street when his stomach began to growl again, in fact it was loud enough to cause a couple of ponies to stop and look for the source of the sound.

Now? Ugh... where can I find some food around here? Willow thought. Of all times I had to become hungry again... perhaps one of the locals can tell me where to go. He quickly scanned the street and his eyes fell upon a pony that was busy watering her flowers. She doesn't look too busy, perhaps she can help me?

As he crossed over to the mare on the other side of the street, he was able to get an almost clear view of what she looked like. The Earth pony had a beige coat and a mane that was blue with a streak of pink running through it. Her cutie mark looked to be three pieces of wrapped candy. Willow was unable to tell what her eye colour was since she had her back turned to him.

"Excuse me? Miss? May I have a moment of your time please?" Willow asked. The mare suddenly turned around and accidentally poured some water from her watering can onto him. At last he was able to see her eye colour which was a shade of arctic blue. Her eyes widened and she quickly put the can on the ground.

"Oh I'm deeply sorry stranger, I didn't know you were that close to me!" she exclaimed. She had spilt the water onto Willow's chest, soaking his hair but he didn't mind. "I- I can get a towel to clean you up if you want mister...?"

"Willow, but don't worry about getting a towel, I've gotten wet more than once before. However I do need your help with something if you have the time miss...?"

"My name is Sweetie Drops, but everypony knows me as Bon Bon," she replied. "I just finished watering the flowers anyway, so what do you need help with Willow?"

"It's my first time here in Ponyville Bon Bon and I was wondering if you can give me some directions towards a place where I can get some food to eat," Willow said. "If you know any places I would be extremely thankful."

"Wow! It's really your first time here in Ponyville Willow?" she asked and Willow nodded. "Well, first of all welcome to Ponyville! It's always great to see a new face. Are you moving here? Or are you just passing through?"

"I'm just passing through," Willow replied. "In fact I'm looking for some information on... something, but that's not important right now. What is important is that I find something to eat before I begin to starve."

"Right! Of course! There are many places you can go in Ponyville, but there are three really popular places. One is Sugarcube Corner, the other is the Ponyville Cafè and the last place is the Ponyville Market where you can buy all sorts of things."

"Hmm, interesting... thank you very much Bon Bon for your time," Willow said and he looked behind him. "Do you have anything to say Swiftwing?"

Swiftwing poked her head out from behind Willow's head and she screeched, causing Bon Bon to jump back in surprise.

"Woah where did she come from!?" Bonbon exclaimed and Willow began to chuckle. Bon Bon's face slowly turned to that of joy and she began to laugh as well.

When their laughter finally subsided, Willow spoke again. "Swiftwing has been here the whole time Bon Bon. Once again thank you for your time and it was a pleasure meeting you."

"Wait!" Bon Bon shouted as Willow began to walk away, causing him to stop and turn around.

"Yes Bon Bon? What is it?"

"I almost forgot! You can find these places on the other side of townhall which is located just further down the street," Bon Bon said and pointed at the large building some distance away. Willow looked where she was pointing and saw that the building was definitely one of the largest ones in Ponyville, but the crystal tree in the distance took first place as the largest.

"Ah! Thank you Bon Bon, you just saved me some time," Willow replied. "Have a great day now." Willow began to walk away and Bon Bon waved at him.

"You as well Willow! Good luck!" she called out after him.

She was a nice mare, good looking as well... argh! Stay on task Willow! Remember why you are here! he thought. It didn't take long for him to reach townhall which was much larger up close. It was truly a sight to behold and it was much larger than the townhall in White Tail Village. He slowly walked around it until he was on the other side.

The other side of town was far busier than the side that he just came from. Ponies of all types travelled between shops, sat on benches, or just simply browsed the windows of each shop as they walked past them. Pegasi were soaring in the sky above, fortunate that they didn't have to make their way through such a crowded area. Down one of the streets Willow saw a house made out of... candy? He rubbed his eyes to make sure he wasn't dreaming and looked at the house again. Sure enough, it still looked like a gingerbread house.

I wonder what that place could possibly be, he thought. That place is most likely stale by now though. Willow chuckled softly at his own joke and began to make his way down the street. He felt that he definitely stood out while passing by all of the other ponies, but none of them seemed to care. He eventually went by the gingerbread house and looked at the sign on the front as he did so.

Sugarcube Corner... well that explains why it looks like a gingerbread house! he thought. I think I'll stop by later... the smells coming from within are making my mouth water! Little did he know that somepony was watching him through one of the windows. Somepony that he had just caught the attention of as she watched him make his way towards the market.

Willow finally arrived at the end of the street which opened up into a large area that was littered with stalls and various shops here and there. Ponies rushed back and forth trying to get the best deals.

"Hey hey, check this place out Swiftwing, this must be the Ponyville Market that Bon Bon was talking about earlier," he said and his stomach growled again. "Let's see what we can find."

He pushed his way into the crowd and began to browse various stalls. He found somepony selling asparagus, another selling eggs, one selling jugs of milk, the market pretty much almost had everything he could possibly imagine. It was certainly a lot bigger than the market back home, which was rather pitiful compared to Ponyville's.

"Hey mister! Hey! Hey mister!" a small voice said. The voice had an accent that reminded Willow of the ponies that visited White Tail Village from Appleloosa a while back. Willow looked from side to side and then underneath him to find a small filly. "Hello there mister!"

"Uh... hello? What are you doing underneath me kid? You could have been crushed or stepped on," Willow said. He stepped to the side and the little filly jumped up from the ground.

"Stepped on? Crushed? Naw, ah am from the Apple family, we're as tough as nails!" she exclaimed. The filly had a light yellow coat and a mane the colour of amaranth. Her eyes were a wonderful shade of gamboge and she wore a bow in her mane that was the colour of light crimson. She also wore an apron, although Willow had yet to discover why.

"Anyway, what do you want kiddo? This place looks pretty dangerous for someone as small as you, no offense."

"Ah ain't small!" the filly exclaimed. "And ah can handle being on my own thank you very much, but ah am gettin off topic. Ah was wonderin if you would like to purchase some sweet apples? They've been freshly bucked from our very own Sweet Apple Acres!"

"Hmm... apples eh? How sweet are we talking here?" Willow asked. "I am hungry after all."

"Oh just you wait mister, follow me and ah will show you the best apples in all Equestria!" The filly then dashed off into the crowd without any warning and Willow did his best to follow her.

"Excuse me, pardon me. I'm deeply sorry everypony," Willow said as he pushed his way through. He finally made it through and found the filly standing in front of a stall. Behind her were buckets of apples, a hay cart and another mare.

"Well howdy there stranger! I hear that you are interested in trying out our apples," the mare behind the stall said and Willow nodded. The mare had an accent similar to the filly's. Her coat was the colour of light orange and her mane was a pale yellow almost blonde colour. Her eye colour was similar to Willow's and her cutie mark depicted three apples. The most interesting thing about her was the brown hat she wore which Willow thought suited her rather well.

"Yes... but out of all the ponies in the market, why did she choose to get me?" he asked and pointed at the filly.

"Hm? Oh! Ah sent Apple Bloom here to get ya," the mare replied. "Ah saw ya in the crowd and ya definitely don't look like you're from around these parts with the bags an all, so ah wanted to get to know ya."

"Okay then, well, I am known as Willow," he said and extended a hoof towards the mare.

"Well ain't you the polite one, ah am Applejack. My family and ah run the apple orchard just over yonder." She grabbed his hoof and gently shook it before pulling away. "So what brings ya here to Ponyville Willow?"

"I'm really just passing through for now Applejack," Willow replied. "I'm waiting until the afternoon to head to the crystal tree since I have an appointment there."

"Oh, so you are meeting with Twilight then?" she asked.

"Well... not really. You see, we met on the train ride to Ponyville and she offered to let me use whatever books she had to help me find something that I'm looking for."

"Ah see, well ah ain't gonna pry too much, now would ya like to buy some apples Willow?" Applejack asked.

"Certainly! I'm starving! I'll take a half dozen apples please," Willow said and he brought out his bag of bits.

In a flash Apple Bloom had grabbed a brown paper bag and began to bag six apples. After it was filled with six apples she gave it to Willow who put it in his saddlebag that held his tools and obsidian rock.

"That'll be about twelve bits Willow," Applejack said. Willow quickly counted out twelve bits from the bag and dropped them in a pile on the stall's counter. "Thank you very much for your business! Each bit helps us live another day."

"Anytime, I just hope these apples are as good as both of you say they are," Willow replied. "It was nice meeting the both of you but I want to check out other parts of the town before I need to go to the tree, see you later you two." Willow turned around and he began to head back towards the street where Sugarcube Corner was located.

"See ya later Willow!" Applejack called out after him. "Enjoy your stay in Ponyville!"

The sun was almost directly overhead but Willow knew that it wasn't time to head to the tree just yet. "Where should I go next... hey Swiftwing, what do you think?" he asked. Swiftwing pecked his head once and he nodded. "Ah, thanks for reminding me girl. Let's check out that Sugarcube Corner place. It looked interesting."

The street was still rather busy but it wasn't as packed as it was earlier, so it didn't take him long to reach the gingerbread house. The same smells from before were still present and again, his mouth began to water. Wasting no time, Willow climbed a couple of steps and was about to go in when Swiftwing suddenly flew away and perched on a nearby lamp post.

"What's the matter Swiftwing? Is this place too sweet for you?" Willow asked. Swiftwing remained silent and ruffled her feathers. "Well, suit yourself then." When Willow opened the door to Sugarcube Corner, he was met with something he really would not have expected in a million years. A cannon, and the pony that was behind it.

"Well hello there new friend! Welcome to Ponyville!" she shouted with joy. "I saw you walk by earlier but I was too busy making cupcakes so I couldn't give you a proper greeting, but I knew you would come back and now I can!"

"Er... that cannon is just a prop right?" Willow asked. He was beginning to regret that he opened the door and slowly began to back away from the mare and her cannon.

"What? The party cannon? Oh no no no! It's very much real, would you like to see it in action?"

"I think I'll politely decline your offer miss...?"

"My name is Pinkie Pie! What's yours?" Pinkie asked and she began to move her cannon closer to Willow. Her coat was a light pink and her mane reminded Willow of a lighter shade of raspberries. Her eyes were the colour of light cerulean and her cutie mark depicted three balloons. Upon hearing the mare say her name though, Willow immediately remembered Princess Twilight's warning.

"My name is Willow, but you... I was told who you are by the princess herself! I think I'm just going to take my leave now..." Willow replied. He expected Pinkie to be disappointed, but was surprised when she suddenly smiled.

"Ah! So Twilight has already told you who I am eh? Did she tell you what I'm most famous for?" Pinkie asked.

"Uh... I think I remember her saying something about you having a habit of throwing-"

"That's right! Parties!" Pinkie shouted, interrupting Willow and pressed a button on the party cannon. Willow braced himself and closed his eyes, but all he heard was a small rumble and the smell of something that was burning. "Aw really!? It was working the other day!" Willow opened his eyes and sighed in relief when he saw Pinkie pushing the button over and over again, trying to get the cannon to work.

"It was nice meeting you Pinkie Pie, I'll see you around," Willow said and he began to leave when suddenly he heard a loud rumbling come from behind him and a small gasp.

"Willow! Look out!" Pinkie cried but she was far too late. The built up pressure in the cannon was suddenly released, launching a huge blast of air, along with confetti, streamers and cake batter. Willow went to drop to the ground but was struck by the mixture, sending him flying up and over a row of buildings. "I'm sorry Willow! I promise to make it up to you!" Swiftwing shook her head and flew after her master who was beginning his descent to the ground.


I see now why Twilight warned me about that one, Willow thought while hurtling towards the ground. Although she does seem nice, even if she is a little bit... crazy. Fortunately when Willow hit the ground, the amount of mixture that had been launched with him was just enough to absorb the impact, leaving Willow slightly bruised and shaken, as well as sticky.

"Eh... excuse me pal, but a race is about to start here," a voice said. "If you could kindly move that would be great... unless you injured yourself on the way down, then we would have a problem" Willow poked his head through the batter and Swiftwing landed on a nearby fence shortly after.

"Can somepony lend me a hoof here please? I can barely see past this stuff," Willow said. Not even five seconds had passed when he felt himself be dragged out of the batter and was sprayed by a hose, clearing the batter away and leaving him dripping wet. "Thank you." He looked at the pony who pulled him out and watched as she dropped the hose onto the ground after having turned the water off.

"You're most certainly welcome batter head, who gave you the idea that Earth ponies can fly without wings?" the pony asked. Willow couldn't believe his eyes. The Pegasus in front of him had a mane that looked exactly like a rainbow. Her eyes were the colour of cerise and her coat was a very light cerulean. Her cutie mark was that of a cloud and a lightning bolt that was made up of primary colours. "Well? Just what in the hay happened to you?"

"I really don't feel like talking about it," Willow replied and he whistled for Swiftwing who quickly flew over and perched on his damp back. "But what's going on here? You said something about a race?"

"That's right, and Rainbow Dash here happens to be stalling it," a voice said from behind them and Rainbow brought a hoof to her face as another Pegasus came into view and stood next to her.

"Ugh... come on Volt Cloud, he needed help, he fell from the sky for apples sake!" she exclaimed and looked at Willow. "Listen uh..."

"Willow. My name is Willow."

"Well then Willow, as you can see Volt here has challenged me to a race because he thinks he is the fastest flier in all of Equestria."

"I don't think Rainbow, I know," Volt said and he puffed out his chest. Volt had a coat that was the colour of onyx and a mane that was as yellow as a lemon and shaped almost like a lightning bolt. His eyes were the colour of the sky and he had a cutie mark that consisted of a dark grey cloud with bolts of lightning shooting out from all sides. "And would you look at that, our friend's little stunt drew a crowd! Come on Rainbow, I have a race to win!"

Volt trotted over to the starting line they made and Rainbow Dash sighed. "I better get this over with then, I can't wait to see the look on his face when I tell him who really is the fastest flier in Equestria!" She flew over and took her place next to Volt.

"Hey, we saw something fall from the sky, is everypony okay?" a mare asked.

"I believe I can answer that for you miss. Yes, everypony is alright," Willow replied. "It was just a freak occurrence."

"Oh okay, so what's going on between those two over there?"

Willow looked over at the two Pegasi and then back at the mare. "It seems that a race is about to begin to see who really is the fastest flier in Equestria. You are all welcome to watch I guess."

"A race? Now that is something I would like to see!" the mare exclaimed and turned to look at Rainbow. "Go Rainbow Dash! Show that other Pegasus what a real flier looks like!"

A large crowd had gathered where the race was about to take place, the ponies having already forgotten why they came to investigate in the first place. A male Unicorn stepped forward wearing a black and white striped shirt and stood in front of the two Pegasi.

"Alright you two, I want to see a good and clean race up there," the Unicorn said. "The goal is to make three laps around various locations in Ponyville. The first one to successfully finish the three laps shall be declared the winner. Understand?" Rainbow Dash and Volt Cloud both nodded at the same time.

"Get ready to eat my cloud dust Rainbow!" Volt loudly whispered to her.

"What was that? I can't hear you because of how far you'll be behind me Volt," Rainbow whispered back.

"Okay racers. Once the beam of magic explodes, the race will begin," the Unicorn said. "On your marks... get set..." His horn began to glow blue and he shot it way up into the sky. He stepped to the side as the two Pegasi followed the beam with their eyes. Both of their hearts were pounding as they waited for the explosion that was to come. At last, the beam of magic exploded and the two Pegasi jumped towards the sky and began to flap their wings as hard as they could.

The two Pegasi were at an equal speed at first, but Rainbow Dash slowly began to pull ahead, much to Volt's annoyance. From the ground, both of them were just blurs in the sky. Willow was watching silently as the rest of the crowd cheered, mostly for Rainbow Dash though.

"Oh would you look at that!" Rainbiw shouted. "Who's in first? Why it's me! Was there ever any doubt?"

Volt Cloud was struggling to keep up with her, determined to not let her win. "I'll make you- I'll make you eat those words!" Volt said, trying to focus on his flying and breathing. On the ground below, Willow knew that Rainbow Dash was going to win. She was way ahead of Volt and it was the final lap already. Volt would need a miracle to win, but unfortunately that miracle would not be there for him today.

"And this-" Rainbow Dash said as she crossed the finish line and slid to a halt. "Is how you win a race!" She was met with cheers from the crowd and she waved at them while they chanted her name.

"Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash!" the crowd shouted in unison. Volt Cloud landed shortly after, panting heavily as Rainbow Dash trotted over to him.

"Well well well, look who finally showed up. Have I kicked that cocky attitude of yours to the curb? Or do you still think you're faster than me?" Rainbow asked.

Volt Cloud looked up at her, anger in his eyes. "That was just- just one race Rainbow. I'll never submit defeat, especially to somepony like- woah!" Volt Cloud had tripped over his own hooves and fell to the ground, causing the crowd to laugh and Rainbow Dash just shook her head.

"You rookies never learn. There's a difference between a friendly competition and a real race ya know Volt. I knew the whole time you would never be able to beat me. Maybe next time."

Rainbow Dash flew away and the crowd dispersed shortly after to return to their lives, leaving Willow alone with Volt Cloud.

Poor Volt, he flew well, but not well enough, Willow thought. Rainbow Dash was right about him being cocky and he probably deserved the humiliation, but I want to see if he is okay. He walked over to Volt Cloud just as he was getting up from the ground.

"Oh, you're still here?" Volt asked and Willow nodded. "You are a fool then, there is nothing else to see here. Are you going to taunt me? Huh? Are ya?"

"Wait, what? No, I just wanted to see if you are okay," Willow replied and Volt Cloud snorted.

"Yeah right, I don't need your pity or sympathy Earth pony, Rainbow may have humiliated me... but next time she won't get away with it so easily!" Volt Cloud flapped his wings and flew away into the distance until he was out of sight.

"This has been quite the day, don't you agree Swiftwing?" Willow asked. Swiftwing didn't reply for she had decided to take a quick nap. "Yeah, you definitely agree." The smell of food suddenly filled his nostrils and he looked for the source when he quickly spotted a building just across the street. A large sign was located on the front, and it was none other than the Ponyville Cafè.

"Hmm, I bought some apples already... but it just smells too good to ignore!" Willow exclaimed. "I think I'll save the apples for later, it's time to eat and then I'll head over to the crystal tree."

He trotted over to the restaurant to find that it was somewhat busy and decided to take a seat at one of the tables that were outside. Swiftwing at this time had woken up and decided to perch on his head for the time being. A waiter appeared shortly after and placed the menu on the table for him to read.

"Welcome to the Ponyville Cafè," the waiter said with a rather bored expression. "We hope you'll find our service to be satisfactory. I'll return to see if you are ready to order, but first would you like something to drink?"

"I am rather parched, I think I'll have some water if that's alright," Willow replied.

"Of course sir, I'll be right back," the waiter said and he left, leaving Willow to look at the menu.

Hmm... should I have the hay fries? Or the daffodil salad? Willow thought. Bah! I'll just have both of them, I'm starving! The waiter surprising returned faster than he had expected and placed a glass of water on the table.

"Are you ready to order sir?" the waiter asked and Willow nodded.

"Yes, I would like to order a daffodil salad with a side of hay fries please, that will be all."

"Thank you sir, we'll have your order prepared shortly," the waiter replied and took the menu before trotting away. Willow sat patiently in his chair when he felt Swiftwing begin to peck him.

"Ouch! Alright Swiftwing you can go hunting, just don't be gone for long okay?" Willow said. Swiftwing screeched loudly and she flew off towards the forest on the outskirts of town. "That bird... I love her to death but she has to stop that pecking!"

"Ma'am, you have to pay for what you ordered," he heard a waiter at the next table say to a fashionably dressed Unicorn.

"I swear I have the bits to pay! I just... forgot them at home," she replied. "If you could just let me..."

"Sorry ma'am, I can't let you leave the establishment unless you pay or work it off. If you leave I'll have to report you for stealing."

Willow watched the Unicorn continue to plead with the waiter when his own food suddenly arrived.

"Here is your food sir, enjoy and tell us what you think, we would love to have your feedback," the waiter said. His voice still sounded like he was really bored and he walked away to go and serve other guests that had arrived.

Willow went to eat his food but he couldn't concentrate when there was somepony nearby that obviously needed some help. With a sigh Willow rose from his seat and walked over to the table.

"Excuse me, may I be of assistance?" Willow asked, causing the two ponies to stop their conversation and look at him. "Sorry for eavesdropping, but I heard that this fine Unicorn is in a bit of a pickle correct?"

"She owes the restaurant about twenty bits sir, and apparently she is unable to provide the funds to cover the cost," the waiter explained.

"Only twenty bits eh? I believe I can cover that," Willow replied and he brought out his bag of bits.

"Oh darling you shouldn't!" the Unicorn exclaimed. "I'm just a random pony that you know absolutely nothing about!" Willow ignored her and counted out twenty bits and gave them to the waiter.

"There you go, I believe that should cover it," Willow said and turned to face the Unicorn. Her coat was a magnificent white, just like that of a cloud. Her eyes were the colour of azure and her mane was the same colour as indigo with a dark highlight in some parts. She wore bluish eye-shadow and a sun hat that was adorned with a variety of flowers. Her cutie mark depicted three blue diamonds.

"Why... that was very generous of you stranger, I- I don't know what else to say!" the Unicorn exclaimed and Willow chuckled.

"You don't have to say anything miss, you can go now without fear of any charges."

"I... thank you stranger. I believe a proper introduction of myself is in order," she replied. "My name is Rarity. I run a little shop known as the Carousel Boutique where I design and create clothing for ponies of any age, type and gender. Now who are you kind sir?"

"My name is Willow Seeker. I come from a little place known as White Tail Village far to the west. I'm an explorer of sorts," Willow replied.

"Willow? Now that is a lovely name," Rarity said, causing Willow to slightly blush. "I would love to stay and chat Willow, but I'm afraid my lunch break is over. I won't forget your kindness though darling, feel free to stop by my shop whenever you please."

Willow watched Rarity adjust her hat and then walk away before he returned to his own table, feeling good about the deed he had just done. He quickly scarfed down the food in front of him and waited for the waiter to return which he eventually did.

"Did you find everything okay?" the waiter asked and Willow nodded.

"Of course, how much do I owe?"

"About twenty bits since the water was free sir," the waiter replied. Willow once again counted out twenty bits plus one as a tip and placed it on the table. "Thank you very much sir, thank you for eating at the Ponyville Cafè."

Willow rose from his seat and quickly left the restaurant. The sun was high in the sky now which meant that it was time to head over to the crystal tree.

I need to find Swiftwing, he thought. I hope she found something to eat. A frightened scream suddenly pierced the air, alerting Willow and many others that were nearby. What in the hay!? Who's in distress now? He followed the scream towards the source as it faded away, along with a few others and was surprised to find a Pegasus putting herself between some critters and... Swiftwing?

"Please listen to me miss hawk, I know it's in your nature but you can't have these little guys as your lunch," the mare said. "Please return to where you came from, I don't want to have to use the stare..." Swiftwing circled above them and screeched in reply before diving towards them again. "Oh no..."

Willow rushed forward and stood in front of the mare, ready to intercept his pet. "Swiftwing! Stop what you are doing at once!" he yelled. Swiftwing both heard and saw Willow and pulled up from her dive. "Girl... come down here please." He watched as Swiftwing slowly spiralled downwards and landed on the ground in front of him. "Is this what you've been doing the whole time Swiftwing? You know that you are not supposed to hunt in the areas that we live in, even if the critters you eat also happen to be in the town!"

"Oh... you don't have to be so hard on her... it is in her nature to hunt small critters after all," the mare behind him said and Willow sighed.

"I... you're right miss," he replied without looking back at her. "Come on Swiftwing, you should at least apologize for scaring her and the critters." Swiftwing flew up and she hovered in front of the mare. He turned around and watched them stare at each other until Swiftwing moved closer to the mare and nuzzled her face, causing her to giggle.

"I accept your apology Swiftwing, that is such a beautiful name for a Red-tailed hawk such as yourself. I haven't seen one of your kind in a long time," the mare said. She had a pale yellow coat and eyes that were the colour of cyan. Her mane was a light rose pink and her cutie mark was that of three butterflies lazily fluttering about. "Where did you find such a rare bird mister?"

"I came across her in the White Tail Woods and took her in since I couldn't find her parents. I have cared and watched out for her ever since," Willow replied. "I even taught her specific actions that mean certain things. Watch this. Swiftwing, did you find anything to eat?" Swiftwing flew up and circled twice before returning and perched on his back. "You see? She just told me no."

"Wow... I always knew they were smart... but that's amazing!" the mare softly exclaimed. "What's your name mister?"

"Me? My name is Willow Seeker. What is yours?"

"Oh I'm... I'm Fluttershy. I take care of all types of animals and attend to their every need. As you can see behind me I was taking some of my friends out on a walk. It warms my heart to know that you are taking good care of your pet. Once you gain an animal's trust, they'll always be there for you."

"And fortunately, Swiftwing has always been there for me, and I will always be there for her," Willow said. "I'm sorry that we interrupted your stroll Fluttershy."

"Everything is alright Willow, Swiftwing was just behaving like any other hawk," Fluttershy replied and she smiled. "Thank you for stopping her though, I was afraid that something much worse could have happened if you hadn't intervened."

"No problem Fluttershy, but I really have to get going now. Enjoy the rest of your walk!"

"Yes I... I most certainly will," Fluttershy replied. Willow smiled and he began to make his way towards the crystal tree in the distance. "Goodbye Willow, it was nice meeting you."