• Published 17th Sep 2014
  • 1,690 Views, 15 Comments

Up From the Wilderness - Cynewulf



Adventure has left Rarity scarred and immobile, but not broken.

  • ...
17
 15
 1,690

III. How Beautiful The Sandal'd Feet

Rainbow looked at the apparatus skeptically. “So… they said this thing worked. Don’t… Like, do I strap you in?”


Rarity chuckled. The sound of it made Rainbow’s heart flutter a bit even after all this time. “I think so. Help me back up into it, and then I can… Oh.”


Rainbow winced. “I can tie the straps. It’s okay!”


“Oh, I know, dear,” Rarity replied, her voice soft.


Using only her left front leg, Rarity began to ease off the bed. Rainbow was there, hovering with furrowed brow. Waiting. She did a lot of waiting.


“I guess… Turn around?” Rainbow said. “I can bring it a little closer…”


“Please.”


Rainbow landed and pushed the wheel-walking apparatus closer to their bed. It was a strange device, a novelty. When Rainbow had broken her leg a few summers before, after a particularly daring stunt, she’d had to make do with the regular wheelchair. But walking on all fours again had been so strange and uncomfortable afterwards.


The back legs were suspended, pressed against a soft pad made for them, which in turn rested against the axle of two great wheels. A harness, in other words. Rainbow remembered the Diamond Dog incident and wished the mood were good enough to laugh, but it was hard to feel up to it.


Gently, together, they positioned her back legs against the pads. They fought her every step of the way. One would expect paralyzed limbs to be limp, but this was not exactly a natural condition. They’d locked in place, stiff and unyielding, but eventually pliable enough.


Rainbow strapped her to the harness carefully. “You feel alright?” she asked, a bit too quickly.


“I’m fine, Rainbow.”


“Sure? I could loosen ‘em up—” Rarity backed away from the bed and shook her mane. Rainbow cut off, captivated for a moment. “You look nice,” she offered.


Rarity snorted. “Rainbow, darling, love—lying does not suit you.”


“Hey! I’m as honest as an Apple,” Rainbow replied with a half-grin.


“Yes, and when Applejack does lie, it’s a doozy. I look atrocious,” Rarity insisted. “My mane is completely…” she sighed. “It is ruinous, Rainbow. My coat is a disaster. I’m practically pallid…”


“I could help,” Rainbow said quickly.


Rarity chuckled. “I suppose you could, couldn’t you? I’m hungry, and it’s about one, isn’t it?”


“I brought food up…”


“I’m sorry. I wasn’t hungry. But I would like some tea. Maybe… hm, no, that’s a bit too much.”


“I could go get you something! Um… I mean, I’m sure Pinkie could give me some of those scone things you like…”


“That’s far too much trouble,” Rarity said. “I do miss afternoon tea at Sugarcube Corner, to be fair.” She looked towards the window. “I’ll be fine by myself for a moment, Rainbow. Tea alone will be sufficient, I assure you.”


“Alright,” Rainbow answered, but she hesitated. “You sure you don’t want anything? I mean, I could help you with it, whatever it is.”


“I’m fine. I’m fine. Please, don’t be so worried.” Rarity smiled at her, and it was a full smile, a real smile. “You’re adorable when you’re worried, you know that? Fretful, even. I’m a grown mare, Rainbow. I will be fine for a few moments, I promise.”


“Alright,” Rainbow repeated, a bit more sure. She left and hurried down the stairs.


She had no intention of passing on getting Rarity something to nibble on, however. The doctor had told her that appetite would come and go, and that she would need to make sure Rarity ate. If tea meant food for Rarity, then Rainbow would make sure it happened.


She was through the boutique in a moment and stood at the front door stretching her wings. Pinkie can be fast. Eighteen seconds there at careful speeds, three times that to be sure I don’t drop anything, a minute or three tops to get… whatever the hell it is. She makes me drink tea with her all the time, and I don’t even know the name of half of these weird frilly things.


And without another second of hesitation, she was off, flying over the roofs of Ponyville, above its happy, ambling population, and landed at the door of the bakery. Seventeen seconds. She tended not to underestimate distances these days. Even Rainbow Dash learned humility. Eventually.


She opened the door and peered inside. Inside, it was crowded. Ponies sat in all of the booths sipping at milkshakes or picking at cake slices, and a line had formed at the counter. The Cakes hurried back and forth, bringing bags with orders. Pinkie herself sat at the counter, happily chatting as she counted bits.


“Oh, and you know, I saw a pony with a lyre just like yours!” she was saying to the mare at the counter. Rainbow blinked, and the name came to her. Lyra. Right. Duh. Lyre, Lyra. Geeze. Ponies just aren’t that inventive sometimes, you know?


Rainbow took a deep breath and bypassed the long line, leaning against the counter. “Hey, Pinks.”


“Oh, hi, Dashie!” Pinkie said brightly. “Whatcha up to?”


“Hello, Ms. Dash,” Lyra said, smiling. “Haven’t seen you around much.”


“Been kinda busy,” Rainbow said, feeling a bit awkward. “I… I’m really sorry ‘bout this, but I kinda need somethin’ real quick. Can I get…” It only now occurred to Rainbow that she’d forgotten money at home.


“Hm?” Pinkie and Lyra looked at her, expectant.


“I… nevermind,” Rainbow grumbled. “Sorry…”


“You seem troubled,” Lyra said, stepping aside to let the next customer by. Pinkie greeted them, and Lyra frowned. “I know we’re mere acquaintances, but… are you alright?”


“Geeze. Does it show?”


“Yes,” Lyra said and then smiled softly. “Anything I can do? What did you need?”


“I… It’s dumb,” Rainbow grumbled again.


“I don’t think so, not from how you’re acting. Come, I’m a good listener.” Lyra gestured for her to scoot past the stallion buying pastries at the counter. “I won’t take your time,” she added as Rainbow joined her as she waited for her order.


“It’s just… Rarity…”


“Ah,” Lyra said, letting a long breath ease out. “I think I can guess. I haven’t had tea with her in quite some time. I miss it. How is she doing?”


“Can’t walk,” Rainbow said bluntly. “I don’t know,” she added. “Look, I just… She kind of got up finally and wanted tea, and she always loves those dumb scone things, and I figured—”


“Miss, your order?” Mr. Cake pushed a bag across the counter. “Paid Pinkie? Sorry, we’re a bit overwhelmed today! Lots of hungry ponies! Hello there, Rainbow Dash!”


“Heya, Mr. Cake,” Rainbow said half-heartedly.


Lyra beamed at Rainbow. “You know… Bon Bon and I also like those ‘dumb scone things’. Forgot your money, did you?”


“Yeah, she didn’t want me to go to any trouble, so I went downstairs and bailed quickly so she wouldn’t be able to tell me not to,” Rainbow said.


“Have this, please,” Lyra said. Her horn glowed bright gold, and out of the brown bag emerged a small cake box of the kind she’d had seen perhaps a thousand times. Pinkie made sure every one of them was a little work of art and sunshine. “Please,” Lyra insisted. “On me. Tell Rarity I said hello.”


“I… I mean, it’s not a big deal. I don’t need…” Rainbow looked at the cake, puzzled.


“It’s fine. I promise. I have a mare I love too,” Lyra said, levitating the cake box closer until Rainbow gripped it between two hooves. “She’ll love it. I promise. Now go! She’s no doubt awaiting you.”


“But… I mean, you paid for this. I can’t just take it.”


“A mare in love can see another mare in love! We live in a kind world, after all, Miss Dash.”


Rainbow hesitated but knew Lyra was right. “Thanks… and maybe I should have hung out with you a lot more,” she said. “Thank you.”


“Drop by for tea! Bring Rarity. It’s been far too long since we talked of music. And Rainbow?”


Rainbow already was retreating towards the door. She stopped. “Yeah?”


Lyra pursed her lips and then spoke. “You’re both good ponies. She’s a special mare, but you know that. Tell her that I said so later if you remember. If she… if she’s getting down, ask her about old Corner, alright? Mr. Corner. Now shoo! Good winds,” Lyra finished and then laughed.


Rainbow made it back to the boutique in record time and was brewing the tea in the kitchen by the time that Rarity began to call for her.


“Rainbow, are you burning my house down yet?”


Rainbow rolled her eyes. “No. I’ve done this before, miss priss.”


She heard a light hmph and smiled.


Bringing the tea and the box up on a platter was a bit hard with flying and stairs and all, but Rainbow managed it. It was certainly not the hardest bit of trick flying she’d ever accomplished.


At the top of the stairs, she found Rarity, her mane in even more of a mess than it had been, frowning absently at a fallen brush. When she looked up to greet Rainbow, her eyes widened.


“I… How did you?”


“Lyra says hello and that she misses you and hopes you get better and stuff,” Rainbow said simply and placed the tray on Rarity’s little table, the one by the window. “The cake is hers.”


“You shouldn’t have,” Rarity said, but she was smiling wide.


“Like hell. I know you like a bit to snack on when you take tea and stuff,” Rainbow said, and her voice lowered into a grumble. “Besides, cake sounds awesome.”


“Indeed it does, Rainbow.” Rarity walked over, and Rainbow was distracted by the sound of the turning wheels long enough that she never caught Rarity leaning in for a kiss until their lips were locked. Heat flooded her face.


“Geeze, it’s just a cake,” Rainbow mumbled after Rarity pulled away. Rarity nuzzled her and then sat by the table. Carefully, very carefully, she opened the window and let the sunlight in.


“It’s more than that,” she said, but wouldn’t say more. They sat by the window, looking out on the town, and took tea in quiet contentment.

Author's Note:

How beautiful are your feet in sandals,
O noble daughter!
Your rounded thighs are like jewels,
the work of a master hand.