• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 5,161 Views, 692 Comments

Let's Get Boyfriends! - MythrilMoth



Pinkie Pie comes up with another game to play with her friends. This time, the challenge is to get boyfriends or die trying.

  • ...
49
 692
 5,161

Chapter 3: The Mind of a Mare

When Big Macintosh came to, he was lying in a bed of moldy hay covered in a thick wool blanket. The view through the tiny window said he was in his own hayloft; he was fettered.

"Alright, who done this?" he asked.

"So you do prefer girls with wings," a voice like garlic scraped across a rusty cheese grater said from somewhere to his right.

A sky-blue pegasus mare with a wind-swept white mane trotted into view. "I've been watching you, Big Macintosh," she said. "Ever since the festival where we first met." Her fuschia eyes glistened in the soft light; she batted her eyelashes at him with a sultry smirk. "You're definitely the stallion for me."

"Eeenope," Big Mac replied with a frown.

"Do you know who I am?" the mare asked. "I'm Fleetfoot. I'm one of the elite Wonderbolts. I'm known all across Equestria!"

"So?" Big Mac grunted.

"So I'm a prime mare!" Fleetfoot rasped, flaring her wings. "I can give you so much! We could have an awesome life!"

"Lady, yer nuts," Big Mac rumbled. With a little effort, he shattered the fetters binding his legs and pushed himself to his hooves. "An' whut's th' big idea, hidin' me out in mah own barn?"

"Well..." Fleetfoot said, visibly alarmed at how easily he'd freed himself. "You're...really heavy," she said. "And...I didn't..." She faltered. "Ponyville's not my town, okay?"

"You should go now," Big Macintosh said sternly.

"Big Macintosh?" a soft voice called from outside. "Are you here? Apple Bloom said you never made it home last night..."

Fleetfoot growled. "Her," she spat.

"Ah'm up here, Fluttershy," Big Mac called out.

"Oh, what a relief!" Fluttershy called from outside. She fluttered into view, peering through the window. "I was so worried, and—oh, um...hello..." She withdrew hesitantly, ears wilting. A small frown appeared on her face. "I...didn't know you had...a guest..."

"She ain't no guest," Big Mac said.

"He's right, I'm not a guest," Fleetfoot said, smirking confidently. "I'm his future bride."

"Oh," Fluttershy whispered. "Oh. Um...congrat—"

"SHE KNOCKED ME OUT AN' FETTERED ME!" Big Macintosh thundered.

Fluttershy's eyes narrowed. "She...did...WHAT?"

Fleetfoot rolled her eyes. "Puh-LEEZE, Fluttershy. I've seen you fly, if you can even call it that. You really think a weak, wimpy mare like you deserves a strapping hunk of stallion like him?"

"Get out of that barn before I drag you out," Fluttershy whispered.

Fleetfoot laughed. "Reality check! I'm a Wonderbolt. You couldn't—"

The side of the barn exploded, splinters and slivers flying every which way. Fluttershy plowed into Fleetfoot, grabbed her around the barrel, and tackled her through the opposite wall.

Big Macintosh sat wide-eyed in the hay, staring at the huge hole in the wall. He blinked several times.

Outside, the sounds of violence disturbed the tranquility of Sweet Apple Acres.

After several harrowing minutes, Fluttershy returned to the loft. Her mane was in disarray, her coat was mussed and matted with blood, and she had a shiner blossoming around her left eye. Several feathers in her wings were bent and rumpled. She smiled at Big Macintosh. "So, um...take you to breakfast?" She asked brightly. "Maybe...after I...pass out?" With that, she wobbled on her hooves and collapsed to the hay.

"Fluttershy!" Big Mac cried, rushing over and squatting beside her. "Why'd you hafta go an'...an'—"

Fluttershy's eyes fluttered weakly, and she smiled up at Big Mac. "I...guess she just rubbed me the wrong way," she said with a gentle, musical laugh.

From out in the orchard, they heard Rainbow Dash cry, "Fleetfoot?! What the hay happened to you?!"

Big Macintosh trotted over to the hole and looked out. Down below, Fleetfoot lay on the ground, completely trampled, her wings bent at odd angles. He looked back at Fluttershy, eyes shrunk to pinpricks and ears flat.

Fluttershy giggled sheepishly. "Did I mention I wrestle bears?" she said weakly. She then passed out.

* * * * *

Flash Sentry stared at the youngest alicorn princess in Equestria in complete and utter shock. "You wanna WHAT?!"

He had to have heard wrong. There was simply no possible way Princess Twilight Sparkle had just asked—

"I want to measure your penis," Twilight said.

Oh Celestia's hairy hiney, she DID.

"I'm compiling a list of your desirable qualities as a boyfriend," Twilight said. "I thought it would be more efficient to get the tangibles out of the way quickly, then move on to the more esoteric traits." She smiled brightly, a tape measure, a notebook, and a quill floating around her. "So I want to measure your penis. I mean, that's a pretty important factor in a relationship, right?"

"I...guess?" Flash ventured, taking a nervous step away. *Is she insane?!* "Umm...I don't know if I'm really...comfortable...with that idea..."

"Oh, don't be silly!" Twilight said. "It's just a measurement."

"That's..." Flash swallowed. "That's not really the point. I mean, that's...an awfully...personal..."

Twilight cocked her head. "But isn't a relationship all about getting personal?"

"There's personal, and then there's personal," Flash said. "And...I don't know much about dating, but I'm pretty sure measuring...things...isn't normal."

Twilight laughed. "That's just silly talk," she said. "See? I have a checklist right here! I've carefully considered all the possible traits a mare such as myself would look for in a potential love interest. A very important consideration is physical compatibility."

Flash cowered. "Maybe...like...third date?"

Twilight rolled her eyes and flipped a page on her clipboard. "Negative traits: big baby," she said aloud as she wrote.

"Hey!"

"Let's move on to the interview," Twilight said...

* * * * *

Spike entered Carousel Boutique in search of Rarity. He called out for her, and heard her reply from her workroom.

He trotted in. "Hey Rarity. It's almost time for that movie."

Rarity looked up from her sewing machine, adjusting her sewing glasses. She smiled apologetically. "Oh, Spikey-boo...I'm ever so sorry, but a very sudden order came in, and I won't be able to go to the movies with you."

"Oh. Okay." Spike shrugged.

"Actually, though..." Rarity said. "I could really use a favor."

"Sure, what's up?" Spike asked.

"Would you mind taking Sweetie Belle to that movie instead? I know she's been wanting to see it, and her little friends are otherwise occupied today..."

"Yeah, okay," Spike agreed. "I don't mind."

"Oh, Spike, you are an absolute gem!" Rarity said sunnily. "Sweetie Belle?" she called out.

Sweetie Belle trotted into the room. "Yes, Rarity?"

"I want you to go with Spike to the movies. We were going to go see that new musical, you know, the one you want to see so badly? Only I've become quite busy suddenly."

Sweetie Belle turned to Spike, tilting her head. "Well, I do want to see that movie pretty badly...are you sure you want to?"

"Sure," Spike said. "It'll be my treat."

"Okay!" Sweetie Belle agreed.

Rarity smiled. "You two run along now, don't want to miss the show..."

As Spike and Sweetie Belle left, Rarity grinned. "Rarity, you are an absolute genius..."

* * * * *

Applejack was staring in horror at the damage to the hayloft when she heard soft wingbeats behind her. "Hey Applejack," Thunderlane said. "Just thought I'd drop...by...what happened here?"

Applejack shook her head. "It's been one crazy day," she said. "From what Ah've been able t' piece together, Fluttershy got in a catfight with one'a them Wonderbolts over mah brother. She's pretty banged up, Big Mac's inside lookin' after 'er, they scraped Fleetfoot off th' ground an' took 'er to th' hospital a little while ago, an' now Ah gotta deal with this mess."

Thunderlane scratched his head. "Need a hoof?"

Applejack grinned. "Sure."

* * * * *

Rainbow Dash was pacing nervously in the waiting room at Ponyville General when Soarin and Spitfire arrived. "We came as fast as we could," Spitfire said. "What happened?"

"Fleetfoot got creamed in a fight," Rainbow said glumly. "The doctors said she'll be out of commission for at least a month."

"Fleetfoot got in a fight?" Soarin asked, eyes wide. "Who with?"

"Fluttershy," Rainbow said.

Spitfire blinked. "Fluttershy?! As in your timid friend Fluttershy?"

"I still don't know exactly what happened," Rainbow said. "All I know is Fleetfoot did something to tick Fluttershy off, and she just...took her apart."

"Fluttershy. The most gentle pegasus in Equestria. Took a Wonderbolt apart."

"Fluttershy can be pretty scary when she's mad," Rainbow said.

Soarin shook his head. "What the heck could Fleetfoot possibly have done to—"

"I dunno, but she messed with the wrong pony," Rainbow said. "Both her wings are broken and she's got a split hoof. And a busted lip. And I think Fluttershy broke her tail, too."

"Yikes," Soarin said.

Spitfire winced. "What about...what about Fluttershy?" she asked.

"Yeah, I checked up on her before I left Sweet Apple Acres," Rainbow said. "She passed out, but she's mostly just got a black eye and a few bent feathers. Applejack and Big Macintosh are looking after her." She scratched her head. "Fleetfoot doesn't have any friends in Ponyville except me, so I decided to stick close until you got here."

"I just don't get it," Soarin said. "Why would those two get in a fight?"

"I dunno, but Fleetfoot must've really done somethin' messed up," Rainbow said. "I've...I've never seen a pony get pasted like this before."

A nurse came out. "Fleetfoot's resting comfortably," she said. "We've given her some painkillers. Whatever mauled her must be a real monster."

"Uhh..." Rainbow said.

"I'll go sit with her," Spitfire said. She looked from Soarin to Rainbow. "You two should get out of here. Maybe catch a movie." She smirked. "You are dating, right?"

"Are you crazy?" Rainbow demanded. "One of my best friends just went nuts and beat one of my idols into a pulp! I can't just—"

"There's no point in all of us sitting here with Fleetfoot," Spitfire said. "Not if she's doped up on meds."

"Yeah, but even so, Fluttershy..."

"Is in good hooves, right?" Spitfire asked. "You said it yourself, two of your other friends are looking after her." She smiled. "I know you're worried about both of them, but there isn't really anything you can do right now. Why don't you get out of here and go have some fun together?"

Soarin looked at Rainbow, frowning. "I...won't twist your hoof, but...I don't really like hospitals."

Rainbow frowned. "Me neither," she said. "And...much as I wanna know what the hay happened...if I go back to Sweet Apple Acres, AJ'll probably make me help her fix those big holes in the barn. Which is not awesome." She sighed. "I guess goin' out to a movie is better than sittin' around worryin'."

Spitfire smiled. "That's the spirit! You two have a good time now."

By the time they arrived at Ponyville's movie theater, Rainbow Dash's mood had improved somewhat. They'd chatted on the way, and the promise of a good action flick had Rainbow buzzing with excitement.

Rainbow flitted back and forth between the posters hanging outside. "This one looks awesome...oh, but this one looks more awesome!" She turned to Soarin. "Which one should we choose?"

Soarin shrugged. "They both look cool to me. You decide."

Rainbow thought. "Well...this one sounds cool and all, but...this one has Samule L. Jackass in it..."

"Samule L. Jackass is one of my favorite actors!" Soarin said brightly.

"Mine too!" Rainbow agreed, fluttering her wings. "So, we're watching this one?"

"Yep."

Having decided on their movie, the two pegasi got in line for the ticket stand. "Man, I hate waiting in line," Rainbow grumbled. "Waiting in line for stuff reminds me of cider season and how I never get to the head of the line in time."

Soarin chuckled. "You just need to learn a little patience," he said. "I take a laid-back attitude toward things like that."

"I'm laid-back!" Rainbow said. "I'm super laid-back! I just hate lines."

As they waited, Rainbow hovered up above the line to do a little pony-watching. "Hey, I see Spike up there," she said. She frowned. "Huh. He's not with Rarity. He's with...Sweetie Belle?!" She dropped down. "Hey Soarin, hold my place, okay?"

Without waiting for a reply, Rainbow zipped up the side of the line. "Hey Spike."

"Oh, hi Rainbow Dash! Are you here to watch a movie too?"

"Yeah, I'm on a date with Soarin," Rainbow said. "Are you here on a date with Sweetie Belle?"

Spike spluttered, looking back at Sweetie, who turned red. "We're...I just...Rarity asked me to take Sweetie Belle to a movie because she was busy with work, that's all!"

"Oh, okay." Rainbow Dash shrugged. "Well, have fun, you two." She flew back to her place in line, gears turning in her head.

*Don't tell me...Rarity's trying to sabotage the game? That little...!*

* * * * *

Two sets of hooves thundered down a wide, paved trail as Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich beat a hasty exit from Hoofston.

"You think...we...lost them?" Pinkie asked.

Cheese risked a glance over his shoulder. His eyes bugged out. "Oh crap, they're catching up to us!"

"This is so stupid!" Pinkie declared. "What the hay are they so mad at us for, anyway?"

"I think...it was...the red balloons..."

"Why wouldn't they like red balloons? I love red balloons! Red balloons are the ballooniest balloons!"

"But...the party...was for...a bunch of bulls..."

Two dozen bulls chased two panicky party ponies across the praries.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the lengthy delay on this. I can't promise there won't be another delay, as I have so much else I'm working on at the moment...