• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 988 Views, 14 Comments

What My Inner Sweet Tooth Was Telling Me - sunnypack



Celestia wanted cake, but why couldn't she get any?

  • ...
1
 14
 988

1 - Let Her Eat Cake!

Chapter 1: Let Her Eat Cake!

“Your Highness, it is time for your morning tea,” Kibitz announced, checking off an item on his ever-present list.

Princess Celestia nodded demurely. Inwardly, she was excited! Finally, the best part of the day had arrived, where she could indulge in a sweet treat.

“Would you mind terribly if I partook of the cake, outside?” Celestia asked her dear assistant and scheduler.

Kibitz efficiently consulted his timepiece and nodded to himself.

“Yes, princess, we can spare the time. We are a whole ten minutes and thirty-two seconds ahead of schedule, a personal record!” he replied with a gracious nod.

Celestia chuckled to herself. Kibitz is the best of the best, after all. But perhaps he should take a break every now and then?

Kibitz gaped at the snow-white alicorn, scandalised. Celestia realised she had been thinking aloud.

“Princess, I do take pride in my work, and I do take regular breaks! Why, just now I took a thirty second breather before rechecking the schedule!” he retorted, sounding hurt.

Celestia nodded gently, casting a reassuring smile at her hard-working aide.

“Kibitz, while I do admire your commitment to your job, you simply must take a break- “ she lifted a hoof to stem a reply “ -and I do mean a proper vacation,” she chastised sedately.

Kibitz looked like he had been passed a prison sentence.

“P-princess!” he spluttered, shying away from a wing she extended out towards him. Celestia retracted her wing, giving him a motherly look.

“I do so worry about you, Kibitz, just because needs are pressing in front of me, does not mean I neglect those next to me.”

Kibitz deflated with a look of understanding.

“Yes princess, perhaps it might be wise to set some time to myself, after all,” he commented wryly. He looked at his timepiece.

“Oh look at the time!” he exclaimed, whipping back his piece telekinetically to his vest pocket. “We must start walking if we are to enjoy the outdoor and the fresh airs of the garden.”

Princess Celestia shook her head. Kibitz will be Kibitz.

She followed her excitable scheduler, humming to herself as she did so. Maids, butlers, cleaners, movers and passing petitioners all bowed as she passed. Celestia nodded in acknowledgement, having given up asking them to stop long ago.

They made their way through the winding corridors and out into the refreshing Canterlot gardens.

Somehow, Kibitz must have alerted some of the staff ahead of time to set up an umbrella shading a table and one of two lounging chairs. Celestia took the one under the sun, desiring the feel of the sunlight on her coat. Celestia sat regally in her seating as a maid brought up the morning tea goods.

A cup was placed delicately on a saucer, the bone china clinking melodiously as they met. The maid carefully placed a strainer over the cup and poured a measure of the fine tea. The luscious aroma of expertly brewed tea filled the air, and Kibitz sighed appreciatively.

“Ah, Princess, I see the best of the best not only to myself, but also to this fine young mare here,” he remarked in approval, gesturing to the maid at the tea cart. The maid blushed at the praise, giving a small curtsey.

“It’s no problem indeed, Your Highness, sir. It is an honour to serve,” she gushed with a barely concealed squeal as Celestia gave her a warm smile.

Princess Celestia sipped at the tea. This was high-grade tea indeed. She must simply get a hold of the blend. As soon as she was about to ask however, a loud ‘craw’ interrupted.

Princess Celestia glanced up to see Philomena and one of the rainbow lorikeets from the garden land on the metallic edge of the umbrella.

“Hello my dear Philomena, how have you been?” Princess Celestia asked her long-time companion phoenix. Philomena gave a cheeky croak back and preened her wings.

Princess Celestia grinned, at least one being in the castle didn’t feel the need to bow and scrape to their princess.

She gently set down the cup of tea, the delicious brew finished.

She turned her attention to the one thing that had been on her mind since Kibitz had announced morning tea.

There, sat on a thin platter, was a moist, sweet, delectable, simply scrumptious looking confectionary. A slice of strawberry frosted cake. To Celestia it may as well be a slice of heaven. She knew, she was the heavens.

She telekinetically lifted up a fork, prepared to take a bite out of the delicious cake.

A sudden ‘craw’ and a ‘plop’ resounded through the garden as the rainbow lorikeet plopped a bit fat poop in the middle of Celestia’s cake slice. The lorikeet looked absurdly pleased. Well… up until Philomena whacked him on the back of the head with her wing as if to say, ‘if you’re going to prank someone, keep it classy’.

The lorikeet had the presence to look sheepish and he meekly bowed his head in apology.

Celestia was unfazed.

“That is quite alright, dear lorikeet, I will simply get a new slice from the kitchens,” she responded kindly as she got up from the chair.

Kibitz rushed to Celestia’s side, skittering to a stop in front of her.

“I’m afraid we are behind schedule, princess. We must head back now to reconvene Day Court,” he huffed, glancing nervously at his timepiece.

Celestia sighed in resignation.

Oh well, there was always afternoon tea, wasn’t there?

Little did she know that today, Celestia would not be getting cake.

Author's Note:

Quotation marks retroactively fixed.