• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 709 Views, 12 Comments

Sunny Investigations - sunnyday



Sunny Day makes new friends and gets into big problems when starting an investigations service.

  • ...
 12
 709

Chapter 1: Introductions

The sun shone through the window in Sunny's room. "Ugh...time to wake up." He grumbled as he stood up and got ready for the day. He walked downstairs and looked around for a bit, getting used to his new home. He went into his kitchen to go and make his breakfast. He was starving because he hasn't eaten since he left from Canterlot. That's when he realized something drastically important he had forgotten. He has absolutely no food whatsoever. Sunny facehooved, "Geez I'm so retarded..." He thought to himself. It seems like today is going to be an eating out day. Sunny opened his front door and walked outside. The breeze felt really nice when it went through his mane. It was the perfect morning, well, it would be if he didn't have to use his limited extra bits to go and eat something at a restaurant.

After a bit of walking Sunny sees a place with the name "Hay 'n Stuff." It looks fairly cheap so he goes inside and gets about three bits from his money pouch. He goes up to a counter and an orange colt with a blue mane approaches him from the other side. "My name is Pickles. What can I do for you?" He seemed like a laid back kind of pony, but he also seemed somewhat serious at the same time.

"Well hi Pickles. I'm about to become your most frequent customer, so how about a hay sandwich?" Sunny tried to make a joke of his little situation. It seemed to work on Pickles because he chuckled a little.

"My most frequent customer, eh? Well, then I better learn your name before I go get that sandwich, what is it?" It was amusing how this guy thought that Sunny's joke was amusing despite it's lameness.

"Yeah, I'm Sunny Day." Sunny chuckled at his own awkwardness.

"Alright then Sunny, one hay sandwich coming right up!" Pickles went through a side door and vanished from behind the counter.

Sunny sat down at the nearest open table and began to wait for his food to arrive. The clock ticked on for a bit before he saw the familiar colt set the sandwich on the table. "Hey, is it alright if I sit with you? I'm on break right now." Pickles was smiling at Sunny almost like Pinkie Pie was, just without all the excitement behind it.

"Uh, yeah, go ahead." Sunny gestured toward the seat across from him,

"So are you new around here?" Pickles questioned. "I haven't seen your face before today."

"Yeah, I just moved in yesterday. I walked all the way here from Canterlot so I was tired, and I guess I still am." Sunny tilted his head to the side, just to emphasize the tiredness.

"Oh, so I see. So what did you mean by 'most frequent customer,' eh?" Pickles raised an eye quizzically at Sunny.

"Ah, yes. Well, I didn't bring any food when I moved in. I don't have the bits to really go buy the groceries I need to make any for myself, so I decided to eat out for awhile until I have the money to support myself." Sunny felt a little stupid admitting that to someone he just barely met, but what's said is said. Pickles laughed so hard he nearly fell over.

"Wow! That sure was a dumb move on your part!" He gasped out in between laughing fits. After he was done Pickles said, "Alright, it was nice meeting you, but I have to get back to work. Talk to you later!" Pickles got up and Sunny waved goodbye at him as he returned to work. Sunny finished his sandwich and left the building.

Sunny was on just about to walk into his house when he was stopped by a questioning voice. "Oh my! This isn't where you LIVE is it?" Sunny turned around to see a white unicorn with a purple mane and tail. She had diamonds as a cutie mark.

"Uhm... Yeah, it is." He replied. The filly gasped,

"How dreadful! I must help you redecorate this tomorrow. Tell you what, I'll be here tomorrow with my things, and you help me help you make this place look absolutely wonderful! Maybe then you could have someone nice and proper like me over." She nudged Sunny's side playfully. Before Sunny had time to tell her it was fine and that he could do it himself, she started to leave. "Oh by the way, my name is Rarity! I'll see you tomorrow!" Sunny was confused.

"What exactly just happened...?" He said to himself while scratching his head. Sunny went inside and laid down on the couch for a moment.

Sunny is now starting to adjust and make a few friends down here in Ponyville. He started to feel more and more at home, like he belonged here more than he did at his old one. After a while of just lying there thinking about what's happened, Sunny Day got up and decided it's time to explore Ponyville and remember where everything is. Sunny spent about 2 hours looking around when he saw the library again, and he saw Pickles walking towards. Pickles saw him, too, and waved at Sunny to come over. Sunny complied and trotted over to Pickles. "Hey Sunny! How's it going?" Sunny and Pickles brohoofed each other when they got close.

"Pretty good I guess. What are you up to Pickles?" Sunny was surprised at himself. Pickles and he were talking to one another like best friends, but they've only known each other for less than a day.

"Oh, I was just paying Twilight Sparkle a visit. I could introduce you to her if you like." Sunny thought about it for a moment.

"Yeah, sure, that would be fine." Why not?

"Alright then, come with me." Pickles beckoned towards the library.

Upon entering the library he saw what every library should have; stacks upon stacks of books! After a little more looking around he saw a purple unicorn with multicolored blue, pink, and purple mane and tail. Sunny assumed that this was Twilight Sparkle. Although, right next to her was a baby dragon! Sunny has never seen a baby dragon up close before. It appears that both Twilight and the dragon are shelving books and reorganizing them. "Hey Twilight, need any help?" Pickles asks.

"Yes, can you go put that book over there?" She points to a book sitting on the floor then at an empty slot on a faraway shelf. Pickles nods and does what he's told. Twilight looks behind her and sees Sunny Day sitting there. "Who's this, Pickles?" She keeps staring at Sunny questioningly.

"Oh, he's new in town. I met him today at work. Poor guy can't afford enough groceries to feed himself at the moment. His name is Sunny Day. Sunny, this is Twilight Sparkle." Pickles points at Sunny and then to Twilight. Sunny speaks up,

"Pleased to meet you." Twilight nods and asks the two colts if they could help her and her baby dragon reorganize all these books. They agree and spend the next thirty minutes or so helping out wherever needed in the library. Just as they were heading out, the unicorn Rarity came barging in.

"Oh, hello you!" She was looking at Sunny. "I remember you from that disaster you call a house. What was your name?"

"Hello Miss…uh…Rarity was it? My name is Sunny Day." Rarity blushed.

"So formal! Anyway, I have important business with Twilight, so bye for now you two!" Rarity passed on by Sunny and Pickles and started to talk about dresses or something like that.

"So why are you so poor right now, Sunny?" Pickles asked.

"Well, I just barely switched jobs. I was going to officially open my new hired investigations business tomorrow, after Rarity helps me redecorate the place apparently." Pickles suddenly had a cheeky smile on his face.

"Ooooh, I get it... You and Rarity-" Pickles was quickly cut off by Sunny.

"Don't say anything! I saw how you were looking at Twilight, man..." Pickles looked embarrassed. With that the two ponies departed their separate ways. Tomorrow, Sunny will officially start his new life here in Ponyville.