• Published 29th Aug 2014
  • 1,053 Views, 61 Comments

The Rainbow Portal - Thunder Quill



When two friends get chased into an odd old temple with strange drawings on the walls, they find a colorful rainbow portal and get sucked into it. Having been found by a mythological creature, they go and help her in her endeavor to save her friend,.

  • ...
9
 61
 1,053

Chapter 6

Jason stood on the balcony, looking out over Ponyville. “This really is a beautiful town, isn’t it?” He said to no-one in particular. The mirror behind him made the teleporting noise, and Emily appeared on the balcony, looking really annoyed as she held Imloch. Jason smirked slightly, “What's going on guys?”

“I can’t throw him. Hes stuck to my hand.” Emily said, opening her hand and making a motion like she was dribbling a basketball, the staff not falling.

”I concur, this is really hexing.” Imloch said, obviously cross, ”Who would place a sticking charm on myself? And how would they do it without me noticing?”

Emily frowned, “You did it because I kept trying to leave the lesson.”

”Why would I do that!?” Imloch screamed, ”I want to teach you magic and this is counter productive-” He fell silent as he notice Jason shaking with silent laughter.

“What did you do?” Emily growled, “If you didn't notice, we are really high up, I have an unbreakable stick, and I can hit you off the balcony if you did this.”

Jason couldn’t take it anymore, he fell to the floor howling with laughter, “You didn’t think to run your hands under water did you?” He said between laughs. “I placed school glue on the staff to make you two stick together.”

Emily stared at him, “I'm hitting you off the balcony.” she said, holding the staff as she lifted her hand, walking closer to him.

“God, it was a practical joke.” He said, getting up, “It’s a regular adhesive, it dissolves in water. Seriously…”

Emily sighed, “He's the last person I would want to be stuck to to begin with. How did you even get it on him long enough for it not to harden and for him to not notice?” She asked, putting her arm down.

“I had help from a certain mint green unicorn who loves a good practical joke.” He said, going towards the mirror.

Emily tilted her head, “You met the unicorn that was being replaced? That must have been weird then, since you knew so much about her before actually meeting her...unless the thing lied to us of course...” she said.

“Nah, apparently smoke monsters take the memories of people they mimic. She really is dating Bon-Bon, the candy shoppe owner.” He said, “She really does play the lyre, and is a ameture archeologist.”

Emily shrugged, “Cool.” she went over to the mirror and looked at it, “Bathroom.” she commanded, teleporting away.

“Yeah,” Jason said, “Main hall.” The world disappeared, replaced with the main hall, which Jason left, only to bump into a furry, feathery being.

The being was a griffon, one that he had not seen visiting Ponyville before. Her neck and head were decorated with white feathers, the ones around her eyes and some feathers on top of her head a light purple color. Her front lion legs ended in eagle claws, while her back legs were normal feline legs. her tail ended in a small black pointed tuft of fur, and, like all griffons, she was the same height as him. She glared at him, “Watch it!”

Jason raised his hands in defense, “Easy friend, I meant no harm.” He looked her over slightly, “I see you’re new in town, have you tried some of the steaks from some of the restaurants in town?”

The griffon glared at him, “Are you seriously trying to have a conversation with me about dweeby restaurants?” she asked.

Jason chuckled, “Oh, you misunderstand me, these restaurants cater specially to gryphons, have you tried their filet mignon? It’s to die for.” He smiled, “I can buy you something, as an apology for bumping into you.”

The griffon rolled her eyes, “No thanks, I’m busy. I’m only here in this lame town to see an old friend.” Her wings extended to their full length and she beat them, rising into the air, and flying quickly over to Rainbows cloud home.

Jason frowned, “Lame? Dweeby? I mean, I don’t really like the pony restaurants here, but you don’t need to insult them…” He walked away, mumbling. As he wasn’t really paying any attention to his route, he ended up at Fluttershy’s house. “Wonder if she needs any help.” He asked himself, walking up to the door and knocking lightly, “Fluttershy? Need any help with anything?” He called softly.

“Um...” her quiet voice said from the other side of the door, “I don't really want you to do something you don't really want to do...”

“No, it’s fine, I got nothing else to do.” He reassured her.

“Well...” Fluttershy said, opening the door, “I do need help giving my skunk friends a bath...you can help since you want to.”

Jason blanched, “Ummm… anything else? Unless they don’t spray, but I guess they do…”

Fluttershy frowned, “I would never take something away from my animal friends that they need...that would be horrible and mean.” She sighed, “I might be having a small issue with Angel, so maybe if you could help him, I can help my friends so I don't get interrupted by him every few minutes...”

Jason sighed, “Sure, I’ll take care of him, what do you want me to do?”

“Just give him attention. Hes a sweet bunny, he doesn't need much.” Fluttershy said, walking to her bathroom.

“Sweet bunny my ass…” Jason muttered. He didn’t forget his first meeting with Angel, nor would he any time soon. The first time he met Angel, he had tried to cook him into soup. He was quite the little evil mastermind, getting the other animals to help him tie him up and place him in the pot. The burns still itched, and worse of all, Fluttershy didn’t even believe him when he tried to tell her what happened. He walked into the home, looking downwards into the eyes of evil. “Hello, Devil…” He snarled, for that bastard was no Angel, “We meet again.”

Angel glared up at him, stomping his overly large foot, pointing towards the door.

Jason grimaced, “She’s bathing the skunks…” Every animal in the house visibly cringed, even Angel, “Exactly, so this time, can we please not fight unceasingly? I really don’t want to get anymore burns than needed…”

Angel’s glare turned hard again, this time pointing towards the kitchen, as if to say, “Feed me!”

Jason raised an eyebrow, “You do realize I’ve never made or eaten a salad in my life, right?”

Angel continued to point, his eyes narrowing, which said, “Feed me or be turned into soup.”

Jason groaned, “What is it with you and soup? Seriously, I know it’s good… I’ll get you a carrot, and tell a story. And that’s all you're getting. I know a mage who can incinerate you at a whim.” Angel looked slightly horrified, but nodded hurriedly. “Good. Now give me a second, I got a tale for all of the animals here.” Jason walked into the kitchen as Angel gathered his friends.

Jason strode back into the room, glad to see the animals surrounding a chair, with two carrots in his hands. He passed one to Angel, who reached out at the second one, “After the story.” He said gently.

Sitting down gingerly in the seat, he was silent for a moment, “I’m going to tell a tale of my world.” He said to the assorted animals, “A cold harsh world, where it is literally a world of eat, or be eaten. Animals like bears, wolves, wildcats, and other big animals, killing other animals and eating them for survival.” This obviously disturbed some of the animals, but Jason wasn’t done yet, “That’s not the worst. The human race, my race, we survived by killing animals and taking their skins to protect from the cold, and eating their meat to sate their hunger. That was over two million years ago… Now it gets even worse. People hunt, but not just for survival, for sport, for enjoyment…” He sighed once more, “They mount their skins and heads on the wall and stuff them whole. You guys have it lucky. You have someone who looks out for you day and night People do that back on my world, but the hunters still overwhelmed the hunted. All I ask is that you lay off Fluttershy just a bit, I’m looking at you Angel.” He said, turning to the shaking bunny, “When Fluttershy needs a bit of space, or doesn’t have what you need to make your special salad, take the regular carrot, and leave her alone, or comfort her if she needs it. Got me?” He said kindly, to which Angel nodded, “Good boy.” He said, passing him the carrot, “Enjoy.” He said, as the door opened.

Fluttershy walked out of the bathroom, a small smile on her face as three, shiny little skunks walked out behind her, “You were such good little skunkies.” she smiled, and gave each of them a little treat.

“How did it go Fluttershy?” He asked.

She smiled, “Oh, they were so well behaved. Im sure if you had helped, you wouldn't have been in any danger.” She looked at the assembled animals, tilting her head, “What were you doing while I cleaned them?”

“Just… Story time.” He said with a smile, “Nothing more. Anything else you need help with?”

Fluttershy smiled again, “Thats nice, my animal friends always love stories.” she thought for a second, “Well...you did so well with them, perhaps you could watch them just a bit longer as I help a mother duck cross Ponyville? That is...unless of course you would also like to join me in helping my mother duck friend...” she said.

Jason smiled, “I would love to, and maybe afterwards I could get a pet of sorts?” He asked.

Her eyes glowed, “You would like a pet?” She asked, her voice a little louder then normal.

Jason nodded, “Yeah, something like a wolf would be cool. But after we help Misses Mother Duck.” He said.

Fluttershy nodded, “Alright. We better hurry though, I need to meet her soon.” she said, opening and flying out of her cottage door.

Jason smiled, shaking his head as he walked to the door, turning back to the animals one last time, “Remember guys, you got it easy.” He said as he followed Fluttershy.


Fluttershy was walking backwards as she talks to the mother duck and her ducklings, helping them go through Ponyville safely. Jason stood next to her, walking forwards to keep a clear line of traffic, when all of a sudden a mass of feathers and fur landed right in front of them. “Crap…” Jason muttered, recognizing the griffon from before as she bumped into Fluttershy.

She looked up at her, “Please excuse me-”

The griffon looked at her, “I'm walking here! Why don't you watch where you're going?!”

Fluttershy back up a little, “Sorry I just-”

“Im sorry, Im sorry. Ugh, whatever,. watch where you're going dofus!” she yelled, walking towards fluttershy, the ducks flapping away, before Fluttershy can say anything else, the griffon roars, sending her running away, tears going down her face.

Jason glared at the griffon, “OI, what the bloody hell was that for!?”

“She deserved it for not looking while walking.” the griffon growled.

“I was looking out for her, you freaking landed right in front of her, where she was doing her bloody job.” Jason growled back, getting an inch away from her face.

The griffon rolled her eyes, “Whatever, this market is lame.” She said, flapping her wings, sending a downdraft onto Jason as she flew away. Jason coughed from the dust generated from the downdraft. A certain pink pony who looked quite insane as she talked quietly to herself, hiding under a table while she watched Jason.

Jason sighed, turning to Pinkie, “You can come out now…” He muttered, turning back towards Fluttershy’s cottage.

Pinkie zoomed out from under the table racing next to Jason, “Didja see what she did?!” She asked him as he walked towards her cottage.

Jason nodded, an angered look on his face, “Yes. I was right next to the whole scene, remember?” He muttered, “That… bitch…”

Pinkie tilted her head, “She’s not a dog, she’s a cat silly.”

Jason face palmed, “No… It’s… never mind…” He muttered, highly annoyed. “We need to get to Flutters.” He said, beginning to run.

“Oki Doki Loki!” Pinkie quipped, racing with him. They raced through the town, drawing the attention and ire of some of the towns ponies.

When they reached Fluttershy’s cottage, they heard the soft sound of crying from within, “Fluttershy?” Jason quietly called through the door, “It’s Jason and Pinkie. Could you or one of your animals open the door?” The door opened, and Angel looked up at him, before going back to Fluttershy where a few other animals were comforting her. A huge pool of water on the floor in front of the couch from where she cried.

“Comeon Flutters…” He whispered, getting closer, “You can’t listen to that mean old griffon.” He said, kneeling next to her, before turning back to Pinkie, “Can you get everyone else, I think they’ll need to see this…” Pinkie nodded, racing out the door.

Fluttershy sniffled, taking a tissue from Angel, “I left the mother duck...”

Jason smiled, “I’m sure she would understand, with what happened, I’m sure she’ll let you help again…” He gave her a hug.

Fluttershy sniffled, hesitantly hugging him back, “Th-thank you. You said before about wanting a pet wolf? I don't really have a pet one, there all my friends, and they can't be domesticated. I could get you a puppy or a kitten instead, since...those are the only animals allowed as pets.”

Jason smiled, “Always thinking of your friends first, that would be nice, but right now we have bigger fish to fry. Do you know anything about this griffon? I saw her earlier flying over towards Rainbow Dash’s cloud, they might know each other.”

Fluttershy nodded, “That might be true. I don't really know anything about her though...” She nuzzled her animal friends as everyone but Angel got off the couch.

Jason gave Angel a look that clearly said, ‘Good Job.’

“Jason we’re here, what’s the big-Fluttershy?” Fluttershy and Jason heard Rainbow Dash’s voice say from the entrance, as she rushed towards them, “What happened!?”

“Know a female griffon, white, tan, with purple tinted feathers over her eyes?” Jason asked.

Rainbow nodded, “Yeah, that’s Gilda, she’s an old friend from flying camp, but what does she have to do with this?”

Jason looked towards Fluttershy, “Guess who made Fluttershy cry, for nothing more than bumping into her.”

“It-it really was a bit my fault. I was walking backwards and not looking...”

“It wasn’t your fault.” Jason said with finality, “I was looking out for you, and she literally landed right in front of you, and she bumped into you. She was in the wrong, not you.”

Rainbow frowned, “She isn't as cool as I thought she was then...” she seethed, opening her wings and bursting out of the cottage.

Jason blinked, “Why do I get the feeling that I just released the Element of Loyalty’s wrath on her?”

“Cause ya jus did sugarcube.” Applejack said from the doorway, the others having just gotten there with Pinkie.

“As much as I think that griffon needs a lesson, I don’t want to see her torn apart, so can Twilight and I go after her, makes sure she doesn’t do anything to o rash?” Jason asked, turning to Twilight. Before she could answer, Rainbow Dash and Gilda crashed onto the porch, Rainbow holding onto her ear, Gilda looking like shes in pain from just that.

“I know every spot on your body that is sensitive.” Rainbow said.

“Hello again.” Jason said, turning to the Griffon. “I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced. I’m Jason.” He held out his hand, but his eyes held a white hot rage.

Rainbow looked at him, “Shes Gilda. She used to be cool, now she is lame, and thinks my new friends are replacing her or something dumb like that.”

“Pinkies been following me all day...” Gilda muttered.

“Because she wanted to hang out with her friend, that kind of happens when you save the world together.” Jason gestured towards the assembled mares, “I’m guessing you know the Elements of Harmony? Meet all six.” He sighed, sitting down next to Fluttershy, “Rainbow, can you let her go? If she runs, you can bring her back, alright?”

Rainbow looked at Jason, and back at Gilda, she frowned and let her go, “Fine...” she muttered.

Gilda shrugged, scratching her ear lightly and shaking her head, “I know nothing about these elements. I don't get any newspapers and whatever.”

“Well, long story short, Nightmare Moon came back, and these six saved the entire world from her bringing back eternal night.” Jason sighed again, “Know what Element Rainbow is?” He asked her, “Loyalty. She would never go back on her friends, old or new, unless said friend gave them a damned good reason to.”

“Good for her, for them. They got everything they need then. Lame ponies with nothing they need to ask for...” Gilda muttered.

Jason stared at her intently, “What happened?” He asked softly, “Someone only acts like this if they lost everything.”

Gilda roared at him, and jumped at him, pushing him against the wall, “Don't give me pity you shaved diamond dog!” She threw her wings open to stop the others from stopping her.

Jason stared at her, “Pity? I prefer to call it experience. I lost my entire fucking world, brought here by some old magic.” He said, getting slightly angry, “Oh, and I’m a Human, don’t confuse me for those bumbling diamond hunting slavers!” He yelled, slamming her with all his weight and pushing her to the ground.

Twilight's horn glowed and held Gilda up in the air, “How do you know about them? You were never told as far as I know...”

Jason shrugged, “I like to read, call me insane, but I thought learning about the planet I was trapped on was a good Idea.” He turned back to Gilda, “Now, can we talk without violence?”

Gilda growled, unable to move inside Twilight's magic field, “Ya know what? Fine. I came here to this lame town to live with my friend for awhile till I could get some cash and live on my own, alright?”

Jason didn’t smile, “That’s not entirely it, is it?” He said, “Griffons don’t leave their homes or a nest unless something really bad happens. I want to freaking help you, why won’t you let anyone?”

“I don't need any help. I thought I could just crash with Rainbow, but now I guess that can't happen now.” she said.

Rainbow sighed, “I would have let you, if you hadn't been so rude to my friends, Gilda.”

“I have a place you can crash.” Jason said, “I don’t see Emily or Imloch being that upset about it, and even If they are, tough. I’m not one to let anyone out in the cold.”

Gilda looked at Jason, “Thanks, but I’d rather not live with anypony else. I can go and make my own cloud home someplace.” She rolled her eyes.

Jason went silent for a moment, before speaking to Twilight, “Let her go.” He told her, “Just remember, My home is open whenever you need it. Just look for the giant stone tower. We’re having Filet Mignon.” Jason said, without waiting for a response, walking out the door.

Gilda rolled her eyes as she was put down on the floor, “Yeah, whatever. ill look for the eye sore if I decide its worth my time. See ya.” she opened her wings and left everyone in the dust, flying out of Ponyville.


Jason stood at the top of the tower, looking over the town in this late hour. “I really wish she would have listened…” He muttered, shivering as a breeze hit him.

Emily teleported in through the mirror, “Hay. Magic training sucks. How has your day been?”

Jason didn’t turn around, “A griffon tackled me against a wall.”

Emily laughed, “Better then my day then.” she said, going over to the ledge with him, “Its a beautiful place honestly… but I miss home more than anything.”

Jason sighed, “Gilda, that was the name of the griffon, she lost her home as well, didn’t tell me why… I tried to help her, I really did, but she didn’t want to be helped…” He sighed again, before turning back to the mirror, “Tell Imloch I’m getting a dog.” He said, before teleporting to his room, leaving Emily to stare.


Jason flashed into his room, instantly noticing that It was darker than usual, “Who’s there, show yourself!”

A buggy laugh that seemed to echo sent shivers down his spine, “Oh, you're a brave thing aren't you?” A female voice asked.

Jason smirked, “I don’t like to think so, It’s just a matter of outwardly showing that fear. Fear makes you slow, which makes you sloppy.” His smirk morphed into a frown, “I won’t ask again, show yourself!”

The laugh echoed from a dark corner, as a black pony with a green holed mane and holes throughout her body came out from the dark, close enough for him to see her in the small bit of light he had. She had insect wings, and a small black crown in front of a jagged horn. She was as tall as the princesses, “Does this satisfy the need of seeing, creature?”

“Human, I am a human, and my name is Jason, and I would prefer to talk in full light, like civilized beings, if you don’t mind your highness.”

The creature smirked, “So you already know I am a Queen. How wonderful, since I will soon be your queen as well. I always do love bringing in my new subjects.”

Jason sighed, “And I know that Changeling’s love love, but you didn’t answer my question, may I please turn on a light?”

The queen laughed, “Of course. drones, lights on, and say hello.” The lights came on, and Jason was surrounded by ten changelings smaller than the queen.

Jason looked around at them, before raising his hands in surrender, “I’m guessing your either here to kill me, or capture me for some tests am I right?”

“Both of those are incorrect. You see, Changelings are made two ways. Through an egg, or through a crystalis. With a crystalis, all you need to do, is trap a pony, or in your case...human, and they will turn into my lovely army.” The queen smiled, and looked at her drones lovingly, “I noticed you running around with your friend, I thought it would be a good opportunity to see if my crystalis can make a creature like you into a Changeling, and then I can move on to diamond dogs, and many more creatures!”

“And create an Army of Changelings, ready to take over the world, classic villain, but somethings different…” he muttered, “These drones with you aren’t the regular Changeling drones, are they? Their Carapace is a slightly different color, and their horns and wings are bigger, a New Evolution perhaps, an Evo-Ling, if you will.”

The queen frowned, “As much as I would like that, no. These drones are beta drones, the drones, you seem to refer to are the ones that I send off as mindless puppets.” she laughed, “Oh, some ponies, thinking that every changeling under me is just a mindless slave to me. No, these ones I like.”

Jason frowned, “I see I don’t have much choice in this matter, do I? If I am forced to come with you, I have a couple… requests.”

The queen laughed, “Oh, you assume you get requests. How cute. Send him to sleep so we can properly fix him.” she commanded, looking at the changelings.

Jason raised his hands, “Wait, wait, wait, wait!” He said rapidly, “It’s not something that would harm you. All I wish, is that If I was going to become a changeling, It would be a changeling of my own design, you can do that, change the crystalis so that it makes anyone changed into a stronger breed of Changeling? Wouldn’t that be helpful to you?”

The queen glared at him, “How dare you even think that my chrysalis isn't good enough to make you anywhere close to an alpha. I don't want you as an alpha, I want you as a mindless slave, loyal to me. Why would I wish for you to have free will? Get him, now.” The changelings jumped on him and their horns glowed, sending him into a slumber. The queen laughed, “Like I would give anything special privilege just because he asked nicely.” She growled, and looked at her changelings, “Away with us now, to the converting chambers.” Her horn glowed, and she teleported away, as the door opened.

Emily looked in, a second too late as she saw a flash, “Hello...” She saw Jason’s black hoodie, which he never left anywhere without, on the floor. “Where the hell did he go be a jackass off to?” she wondered, looking around the room. She picked up the jacket and looked around, seeing something oil and green on the floor. She picked it up, and it felt like really unwashed rubbery hair. “The fuck...”

Get Twilight… Almost as if he was next to her, Jason’s voice rang out in her mind, She would know… Emily blinked, and slowly exited the room, deciding to talk to Twilight later when it was morning. Even the slightest hesitation could mean life and death...Again, his voice was right next to her.

“Oh fuck I'm crazy again...” Emily muttered, going through the mirror, heading for the library.